Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 69 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 zipper:  56 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 vox:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 AndreasM:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 outlawal2:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 Allanon:  2 hrs 32 mins ago
 Birbo:  2 hrs 50 mins ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 52 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  X1000 CPU clue :)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
PosterThread
pavlor 
Re: X1000 CPU clue :)
Posted on 23-Jun-2010 8:30:00
#161 ]
Elite Member

@koft

Quote:
I picked up an emac earlier today and installed MorphOS and was thoroughly impressed to be honest.

Nice!

Quote:
Half the power of an A1X1K for a grand total of 256 dollars.

If the CPU in X1000 is PA6T, the it should be nearly 3 times faster (in sense Y=3*X) in integer and at least 6 times faster in FPU operations (single core performance)...

Profile     Report this post  
nexus 
Posted on 23-Jun-2010 8:30:35
#162 ]

@koft

Quote:

They originally claimed that we'd have this before summer, guess what, it's summer. A-Eon claims to have to be silent about the CPU because of an NDA agreement, but it's already past the date of their most optimal release schedule. The only way to fit their claim to something logical is if the NDA restricted them from talking about the "secret part" until *after* they were shipping units. That's anal to some absurd degree and it makes no sense whatsoever.

I haven't read all posts (especially not the long ones) and I can't judge if koft is right in everything but here, I think, he has a point:

*IF* AEON were on schedule we would already know about the CPU.

However, I'm not really that interested in knowing the CPU right now. I'm the typical Amiga user, I think. I'm waiting until something happens and if it's usefull then I'm glad. If nothing (useful) happens, nothing has changed and why should I be angry about it? I neither have bet all my money nor my life on the next generation Amiga, hence, I can't lose *anything*.

Let's see it optimistic! At least, there are people who try to make the Amiga world becoming (even ) better and compared to the many years ago, a lot good things have already happened due to those people! So there's no reason to complain because there's nothing we can do about it and most people couldn't *and* wouldn't do anything better anyway. Therefore, I see the fast progress (compared to the long "nothing-or-even-destructiv-things-happens"-era) very optimistic.

So, if you don't like X1000 nor any SAM or PegasosII or if you just don't have the money for a new Amiga, why do you complain? If there's no new Amiga you would be in the same situation If you want something different, then chose among the alternatives (from MorphOS over AROS to UAE and even Linux or Windows and even you can stay with your A500). Free your mind. It's your choice. Nobody is forcing you to be an unsatisfied Amigan all your life

regards,
nexus

DAX 
Posted on 23-Jun-2010 8:49:09
#163 ]
Elite Member

@koft
so here you come out, a MOS user trying to discredit AEON in order to illustrate how good his chosen option is.

First, you should understand that this kind of antagonistic behavior scares away many from your chosen platform (which is a shame).

Second, many nice MOS users would never want to be associated with the way you behave here (and don't play dumb, you have biggest collection of accepted Abuse Reports than anyone on this board).

3rd, The machine is aimed at AmigaOS power users and developers which understand perfectly the hurdles of development and can bear with no difficulty both the price and release date delay.

Here you are trying to sell ice to the esquimos (convincing AOS4 aficionados of who knows what) without any ability to do so, and disgracing the MorphOS community.

But if that makes you happy...

P.S
I hope that sooner or later you will understand that the ultimate demise of AmigaOS it's not a necessary condition for other camp to thrive, and that trying to discredit those you dislike ends up coming back like a boomerang

Last edited by DAX on 23-Jun-2010 at 08:51 AM.

opi 
Posted on 23-Jun-2010 9:15:07
#164 ]
Team Member

@Mechanic

Quote:
Kind of makes me ashamed to even have AROS on one of my machines.

It must be painful to use OS4 for you, as "your platform" have nice share of crazy fanatics. Or maybe, just maybe, you don't care?

opi 
Posted on 23-Jun-2010 9:18:54
#165 ]
Team Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:
(and no not from koft)

Before someone asks, it was me reporting it. I'm not "AR button happy" but there's a difference between disagreement and ad hominem attacks.

nexus 
Posted on 23-Jun-2010 9:32:29
#166 ]

@opi

Quote:

as "your platform" have nice share of crazy fanatics

That's true for *all* platforms and *especially* for amiga-like platforms (beside AROS -- I never have seen an AROS guy talking stuff like AOS4/AOS3/MOS-users).

Fortunately, this is not true for the majority of users -- or at least, I hope so.

By the way, seeing the numbers of posts with discussions/ arguments/quarrellings involving you, someone could argue that you could belong to that "crazy fanatics" as well? Of course, it's just an impression by me (who refuses to follow threads like this in detail) and I don't want to imply that you're belonging to such a group. So, I apologize if I'm completely wrong here.

Actually, I don't understand people debating over and over again in endless discussions about such things anyway..

regards,
nexus

vidarh 
Posted on 23-Jun-2010 10:07:07
#167 ]
Cult Member

@itix

Quote:
Many many years ago when there was an Amiga event in Finland I saw how one guy wrote small app on a demo machine. If you leave machines unattended anything can happen..

That reminds me of how my friends and I liked to terrorize the staff of the local computer shop by writing all kinds of programs on the machines they had on display... They had a steady job keeping an eye on what might pop up on the screens and turning machines off and on :)

umisef 
Posted on 23-Jun-2010 10:12:59
#168 ]

@minator

Quote:
However there is something very interesting about the specs of the p5020, It looks remarkably like an enhanced PA-Semi chip.

How so?

Especially compared to looking remarkably like an evolutionary progression on the other (32 bit) family members, with which it is, after all, pin compatible (whatever *that* means in this case...), and which seem to have shared the exact same internal structure for the last two years.

Quote:
My guess is X1000 will ship with a Freescale branded CPU that is basically a rebadged PA-Semi chip.

That makes no sense whatsoever. The only reason the PA6T is anything but dead and buried is the need of (very very influential) existing customers to continue its use in their existing products. Thus any "rebadged PA-Semi chip" would have to be packaged compatibly with the original PA-Semi chip to be of any use to those customers.
On the other hand, the p5020 is a member of an established family, which *also* imposes a particular packaging, which obviously won't match that of the PA6T.

You don't "upgrade" a motherboard to a completely different CPU in a different package/pinout. That's a pretty major redesign.

So unless you believe that Freescale would be willing to make a custom-packaged version of one or the other, at the tiny unit count that A-Eon may move, the X1000 is not going to straddle the divide between those architectures.

steril606 
Posted on 23-Jun-2010 10:32:04
#169 ]

Since the discussion came on on the last page, I'd love "Amiga" to take a sidestep, and not just follow whatever's on top powerwise at the moment.

Look at what Nintendo did with the Wii. Or what Apple did 13 years ago with the first iMac/iBook.

In my view "Amiga" needs to take this approach to heart even more than Nintendo did back in 2005.

We will never have a machine as fast and capable as what is available in the x86-market. And don't even dream about a comparable price.

The same goes with software. With the size of our community it won't magically appear.

So, create something "different".
Create something, that appeals to people on another level than pure mips/flops-power.

BigD 
Posted on 23-Jun-2010 10:39:22
#170 ]
Elite Member

@steril606

Quote:
So, create something "different". Create something, that appeals to people on another level than pure mips/flops-power.

I believe that's is what they were trying to do with the XMOS chip! I still fail to see why I'd need the ability to use the 'Transputer' style parallel processing or board emulation benefits that XMOS provides! The Varisys guys seem to throw down the guantlet to the Amiga community to see how it would be utilised. Isn't he supposed to be selling 'us' the concept?

Would it help emulate the Amiga custom chips?

steril606 
Posted on 23-Jun-2010 10:46:02
#171 ]

@BigD

I think that XMOS-thing is a nice detail, but it won't appeal outside some nerdy coder circles of people.

Even in the quite nerdy Amiga scene, most people are not quite seeing what this thing will be useful for, from my impressions...

No, we need something "fancy" and "boutique". Amiga needs to be fashionable..

And at the moment so many people are starting to hate Apple, it would be the perfect time to step up... ;)

BigD 
Posted on 23-Jun-2010 10:58:16
#172 ]
Elite Member

@steril606

Well it's got an engraved boing ball on the x1000 case and a nice kyboard! I think you're expecting too much if you expect to have a 'Minority Report' style control system for the GUI or a custom designer case!

They've provided an XMOS board - CHECK
They've customised a PC case - CHECK
They've chosen a highish spec dual core processor - CHECK

The only secrets left are the exact price and confirmation of the processor type! The bonus would be a bundle pack with Timberwolf and full Classic Emulation system included.

There are surely no gimmicky/fashion based secrets/curve balls on the horizon, although the keyboard looks and feels great

Last edited by BigD on 23-Jun-2010 at 10:58 AM.

DAX 
Posted on 23-Jun-2010 11:00:18
#173 ]
Elite Member

@steril606
Problem is, Ainc in the past wanted to capitalize on the Amiga name with different projects that weren't "that" Amiga, while the community wanted new computers and modern OS.

There was also an editorial made on one of the last issues of Enigma Amiga Magazine (the last newsstand publication here, lasted until 2001) telling readers to "stop" whining about that, and that if we wanted to be successful we needed those Ainc stuff.

So the question comes again: what do you want, new computers running an advanced version of AmigaOS or something "different" just for the sake of being successful?

Last edited by DAX on 23-Jun-2010 at 11:01 AM.

steril606 
Posted on 23-Jun-2010 11:26:26
#174 ]

@DAX
Also I want new computers, running an advanced version of AmigaOS.

I just would love to see more "cleverness" in product design and marketing. Anything else won't get the Amiga any new audience.

The X1000 will be an awesome machine, and I wish A-Eon/Trevor all the success in the world with it, but if you estimate it will reach anybody outside of the diehard-Amiga-Fanbase, you are on the wrong way, my friend.

BillE 
Posted on 23-Jun-2010 11:30:44
#175 ]

@koft

Quote:
Too busy working on things that yield profit

Yet you seem top have PLENTY of time to TROLL. You can't be that busy!

umisef 
Posted on 23-Jun-2010 11:35:26
#176 ]

@tiffers

Quote:
Are you proposing this was *allowed* to stay in

No, I am proposing someone screwed up. Happens all the time.

However, HyperionMP is trying to suggest, or hint, or imply, without committing to actually saying so, that rather than a screwup, this PCI ID list was an intentional diversion.

I merely provided arguments for why I consider that an unlikely scenario.

(Of course, this is the same HyperionMP who is talking about a motherboard designed by a company which has been in business for 15 years, so maybe he is just talking about a completely different motherboard which just so happens to also be called "X1000"...

Boot_WB 
Posted on 23-Jun-2010 11:39:18
#177 ]

@umisef

'Plausible deniability'?

I think you'reprobably right, but (given the NDA) Hyperion/A-Eon have no choice but to maintain a policy of denial/non-confirmation.

gerograph 
Posted on 23-Jun-2010 11:46:46
#178 ]
Cult Member

@steril606
Quote:
So, create something "different".
Create something, that appeals to people on another level than pure mips/flops-power.

Yep, agree 100%, but what is/will be the difference ? What could appeal to people outside Amiga Community ? At the moment there is nothing really... only thing I see is the XMOS chip. I still hope/belive they have to find/found a specialized nichemarket where they can earn money from.
So, ideas how to create it different/appealing ???

www.geomarketing-consultant.de

Spectre660 
Posted on 23-Jun-2010 11:58:20
#179 ]
Elite Member

@

Its interesting to see that many Amigans hold the view that A-Eon and partners would chose a CPU option that has limited scope for future development.

Given the last 10 years or so of Amiga and PowerPC history I do not think that
most people would develop a Motherboard based on a CPU that had no future.

Also the way Trevor speaks about beta testing the new boards to make sure that no problem
exist and refers to the problems with the Eyetech boards should
tell you that he is aware of past problems of bringing a new motherboard to the market.

So unless they have gambled on the CPU and lost then we should be ok.

BigD 
Posted on 23-Jun-2010 12:04:27
#180 ]
Elite Member

@Spectre660

Quote:
Its interesting to see that many Amigans hold the view that A-Eon and partners would chose a CPU option that has limited scope for future development.

HJ Frieden although not able to give details of the CPU, was confident that additional core versions of the chip are definitely in the works and if the X1000 is a success a new model from A-EON would be released with a higher spec CPU!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle