Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
39 crawler(s) on-line.
 55 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  5 mins ago
 OlafS25:  6 mins ago
 BigD:  46 mins ago
 chloeneelson:  54 mins ago
 VooDoo:  56 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 jakiv:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 jPV:  1 hr 54 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 pavlor:  2 hrs 44 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  red vs blue: why?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
PosterThread
cv643d 
Re: red vs blue: why?
Posted on 28-Jul-2010 19:52:55
#81 ]

@Rogue

Quote:
Let's face it. Anybody thinking they can beat Windows or even Linux is seriously deluded. AmigaOS will never "get back to the top" or anything like it.[

What an insult to the community, so this is the opinion of Amiga inside Hyperion?

TD, do you share his opinion to?

Last edited by cv643d on 28-Jul-2010 at 07:53 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Posted on 28-Jul-2010 19:56:22
#82 ]

Startupseqence ending with Workbench is the minimum if you do not boot without startup or self-made startup, and the rest is addons included with AmigaOS or third-party, period.

Posted on 28-Jul-2010 19:59:55
#83 ]

@cv643d

He's just a pesimist there.

cv643d 
Posted on 28-Jul-2010 20:06:12
#84 ]

@1970

What would happen if Churchill was pessimistic during WW2? I guess you get the point no?

With the right leadership Amiga can become no1 again, just look at Apple back in 1997 and where they stand now, who thought they would crush MS one day.

Last edited by cv643d on 28-Jul-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Last edited by cv643d on 28-Jul-2010 at 08:06 PM.

Leo 
Posted on 28-Jul-2010 20:11:49
#85 ]

Quote:

What an insult to the community, so this is the opinion of Amiga inside Hyperion?

Is it an insult to admit the truth ?

cv643d 
Posted on 28-Jul-2010 20:14:34
#86 ]

@Leo

Anything is possible, once upon a time that was something Amiga owners understood.

Give me my fourth Site abuse warning, ban me or kick me but Amiga is going nowhere with that kind of attitude from the top of the pyramid, no matter if 1 or 2 cores are working

Last edited by cv643d on 28-Jul-2010 at 08:16 PM.

pavlor 
Posted on 28-Jul-2010 20:15:50
#87 ]
Elite Member

@Leo

Quote:
Care to define "Amiga computer" ? Cause it seems it could be anything.

Sure.

Quote:
Care to define "AmigaOS" ?

Sure.

Quote:
Without any mention to the name or the sources of course:

Name and origin are important, why discard them?

Quote:
I'd like to know what defines "AmigaOS" to you...

I think everyone can have its own definition of "what is Amiga".

For me, it is computer+OS that evoke concepts of Amiga computers I used and admired in past. Even MorphOS and AROS conform to this part of my definition. But it is only first part. The second is not based on logic or practical use, but pure feelings. I ask myself: Do I feel it is Amiga?

So this is my answer. If I see computer with Amiga name together with OS bearing the same name and I can trace its legacy - reaching back to the days of Jay Miner, Dave Morse and others - I can´t ressist and must say: "It is Amiga, with all good and bad inherited from the past".

Yes, it is little bit crazy. But this sort of madness is common in the Amiga community. Some use OS with nearly no applications on hardware supporting OSs with nearly all applications... and are happy, because it is Amiga for them. Some even buy used hardware to run their beloved OS and are fully satisfied, because it represents Amiga heritage for them. All these people do highly ilogocal things, they all base their choice on feelings, even you.

Posted on 28-Jul-2010 20:16:13
#88 ]

@cv643d

Yes. One can not be pesimist or realist when one is about to die, how do you think the Amiga has survived for 25 years? We believe, right?

cv643d 
Posted on 28-Jul-2010 20:18:39
#89 ]

@1970

Yeah, I mean if I wanted a hobby I would buy a pathetic RC truck and go out in the garden to have some fun or kill some braincells with todays pathetic game consoles and interactive guid.. sorry,.. "games".

Posted on 28-Jul-2010 20:26:15
#90 ]

@cv643d

LOL. Do not take it very seriously, but I believe there must be something to the collaboration between Amiga alternatives that gets it on its feet again.

opi 
Posted on 28-Jul-2010 20:33:32
#91 ]
Team Member

@1970

Quote:

Realist.

Valis 
Posted on 28-Jul-2010 20:34:02
#92 ]

@pavlor
Quote:

I want Amiga computer powered by AmigaOS...

But what is that at this point in time? I saw a "t-shirt" thread at an unnamed site and there was actually an interesting post that made me think a little bit.

What does a person consider official I think was the point.

They list out something along the lines of

Commodore -> Escom -> AmigaTechnologies -> Gateway2000 -> Amiga Inc. Washington -> KMOS -> Amiga Inc. Delaware -> Hyperion Entertainment

Not even talking about MorphOS or AROS, Amiga OS itself was so fractured and so many licenses given out, and so much mystery about Amiga Inc. and whether they even have any of these rights from Gateway that they say they do. How is it possible to claim anything as Official?

Back to the discussion topic. Amiga 68k is my hobby. I never have been into Amiga NG other than playing around with AROS. Over the years people have always talked about this Red vs Blue war. In my eyes that was just kids fighting over who's toy was better.

What I always thought was the real war was the Users vs The Developers. This is the reason I never joined any NG side. Lots of Amiga users had lots of great ideas. Lots of Amiga users asked reasonable questions. Lots of Amiga users asked for simple things like time lines and product strategies and road maps.

Amiga Users felt their loyalty was worth something over the years. I think the developers always had this attitude that it was their OS and they didn't need nor want any input from the masses (users) and the users were silly for thinking the developers would let them know their plans and project strategies.

Combined with devs announcing secret projects and all the claims of the next big thing being just around the corner but we can't tell you yet. Well, I think that was the real war. If anything this frustration really fueled the Red Blue wars.

Where I sit little has changed. I think we all know trolling has been on the rise again. I certainly believe a lot of that has to do with the X1000. I lot of people got there hopes up early this year and to learn that most probably won't be able to afford such and expensive device. There are similar frustrations in other camps. I think there is a slow building frustration in the MorphOS camp about no clear plans and regret or frustration about not moving to Intel-AMD.

But my hobby is the classics. While I secretly hope for a new Amiga, something feels like Amiga use to anyway, I mostly wish these companies had never mucked around here at all. The companies are what destroyed Amiga for me.

Posted on 28-Jul-2010 20:43:08
#93 ]

@opi

Quote:

opi wrote:
@1970

Quote:

Realist.

But the Amiga was about a custom-chipset with a very good OS, it is something that is still relevant. Amiga was a hybrid between gameconsole and Computer.

pavlor 
Posted on 28-Jul-2010 20:45:39
#94 ]
Elite Member

@Valis

Quote:
Amiga OS itself was so fractured and so many licenses given out, and so much mystery about Amiga Inc. and whether they even have any of these rights from Gateway that they say they do. How is it possible to claim anything as Official?

It is not that complicated as you think. All Amiga Parties (Amiga Washington/Amino, Itec, KMOS--Amiga Delaware) entered into comprehensive Agreement with Hyperion...

Quote:
I mostly wish these companies had never mucked around here at all. The companies are what destroyed Amiga for me.

Don´t let such frustration ruin your day. Past is past and we can´t change it. Enjoy your classic computer like I enjoy my A1200. Half hour of playing Chaos Engine and everything is much brigthter.

Last edited by pavlor on 28-Jul-2010 at 08:46 PM.

klx300r 
Posted on 28-Jul-2010 20:48:42
#95 ]
Elite Member

I was gonna chime in a few words of wisdom but then I thought....free time is precious and the reason I bought AmigaOS4.1 (fill in any other NG flavour) was to HAVE FUN AGAIN ON MY AMIGA SYSTEM!..so I'm off to play some BOH, Deluxe Galaga AGA and then maybe some Cannon Fodder and then some Archon and then some Total Chaos and then.........ya get the idea right

PEACE OUT AMIGA DUDES

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Manu 
Posted on 28-Jul-2010 20:51:08
#96 ]

@cv643d

Quote:

cv643d wrote:
@1970

What would happen if Churchill was pessimistic during WW2? I guess you get the point no?

With the right leadership Amiga can become no1 again, just look at Apple back in 1997 and where they stand now, who thought they would crush MS one day.

It's just unrealistic to expect the next gen Amiga OS'es to become no1, it can be a good alternative but not more. What help is it to Hyperion or MorphOS team or AROS team to set a unrealistic goal ? None what so ever. People really should start to get this now after so many years. "Amiga" ain't coming back as we believed back in late 1990's. and now it's 10-15 years later. Get real already no one is going to put up with all the money such a thing would require.

Then there's another question if Amiga really was number one at *any* time ? Sure it was superior at gfx and sound, but pick almost any documentary about the birth and evolution of the computer and Amiga isn't even mentioned. Amiga was no1 in one area but it failed miserably in the most important area that feeds MS today, the business world.

DAX 
Posted on 28-Jul-2010 21:00:55
#97 ]
Elite Member

There is nothing wrong in being a healthy niche (well we are unhealthy right now but we could grow healthy again).
Think of it as an Elite Club of happy geeks

clusteruk 
Posted on 28-Jul-2010 21:07:46
#98 ]

How about those that criticise Rogue and the others give some thought to the fact that maybe the constant abuse and grief can be demoralising.

These guys work hard delivering what people say they want, a powerful new Amiga operating system with low man power. I appreciate the fact they are still here and remember I believe these guys could earn a huge amount more money elsewhere in the computer world and yet for now they work hard on the Amiga.

Lets not make them want to give this great work up.

Posted on 28-Jul-2010 21:09:20
#99 ]

@Manu

Quote:

Manu wrote:
@cv643d

[quote]
cv643d wrote:
@1970

Then there's another question if Amiga really was number one at *any* time ? Sure it was superior at gfx and sound, but pick almost any documentary about the birth and evolution of the computer and Amiga isn't even mentioned. Amiga was no1 in one area but it failed miserably in the most important area that feeds MS today, the business world.

It was rumored since it was considered a home computer and a gaming machine. It was a PC, not a bisnes computer. So Amiga was No one in the home computer market.

Last edited by 1970 on 28-Jul-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Last edited by 1970 on 28-Jul-2010 at 09:10 PM.

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 28-Jul-2010 21:34:47
#100 ]

Honestly, up until third page, this thread sucked. Too much sanity for the standards of AmigaLand. But then Leo showed up. Thank God you exist mate! Please, carry on, I haven't finished my bucket of pop-corns yet!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle