Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
35 crawler(s) on-line.
 158 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 NutsAboutAmiga:  5 mins ago
 retrofaza:  5 mins ago
 Rob:  6 mins ago
 _ThEcRoW:  15 mins ago
 OlafS25:  28 mins ago
 Gunnar:  36 mins ago
 Kremlar:  50 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 vox:  1 hr 29 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Inc. offshoot
      /  The New Commodore Amiga 500x and Commodore 64x
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
PosterThread
Arko 
Re: The New Commodore C500 and Commodore PC64
Posted on 17-Aug-2010 7:59:04
#181 ]

Why must a C64 or Amiga retro computer look like the old chunk I tried to shove into real computer cases after I found out how bad the keyboard cases really where.

Why not try to present a CommodoreNG or AmigaNG in a new and really crazy looking design?

Something like here:
http://www.techfemina.com/entry/chip-pc-concept-by-shyam-balasubramanian/

Instead a cheesy looking Boingball mouse something like this:
http://www.gizmowatch.com/entry/10-most-innovatively-made-mice-that-leave-us-impressed/

I believe these devices would be worth the extra money, more than a keyboard computer in beige or some mice with stickers would be

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

Profile     Report this post  
vidarh 
Posted on 17-Aug-2010 9:43:06
#182 ]
Cult Member

@Arko

Quote:
Why not try to present a CommodoreNG or AmigaNG in a new and really crazy looking design?

Something like here:
http://www.techfemina.com/entry/chip-pc-concept-by-shyam-balasubramanian/

That design is an ergonomical disaster. Having the screen and keyboard at a right angle like in that picture only works for children or midgets.

As for why the "fantasy" cases, the answer is obvious: Nostalgia. I'd like one, if it's cheap enough and reminds me enough of some idealized version of my old A500's..

This community will always have a fetish for the classics, or at least the *idea* of the classics. I don't want to go back to an A500, but I like to be reminded of it... Anything that successfully marries the nostalgia with newer tech will do well with a certain segment of us, though I doubt any of it will ever "break out" into the mainstream.

Though there is one real use apart from nostalgia though: Kids.

I have a 15 month old son, and have started thinking about what to do for his first computer (he will have one within the next 12 months.... ).

A laptop is a no-go for a few years because the keyboards are way too flimsy - mine already has a loose key from his "exploration. A big desktop just so he's going to have something to play with... I don't think so.

An A1200/A600/C64 style case with a Minimig or FPGA Arcade would be great, maybe even a modern PC though it wouldn't need it. More robust than a laptop, easier to hide away than a full desktop. Easy to do a customized setup on a SD card I can clone over and over once he learns how to mess it up.. Much better than those fake laptops that toy manufacturers like VTech churn out (all of which seems to insult the intelligence of kids and not allow much creativity)

Arko 
Posted on 17-Aug-2010 10:41:31
#183 ]

@vidarh

Quote:

That design is an ergonomical disaster.

Exactly like the keyboard computer but at least it looks cool.

Quote:

Having the screen and keyboard at a right angle like in that picture only works for children or midgets.

Maybe you have not read the whole desciption:

Quote:

The tablet PC features retractable screen and hinged keyboard that can turn it into a tablet from a laptop or a desktop PC.

Last edited by Arko on 17-Aug-2010 at 10:43 AM.

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

persia 
Posted on 17-Aug-2010 11:19:57
#184 ]

@Arko

Currently the Apple tablets seem to just work better than the Android tablets. I have an iPad and a ZT180 Android 2.1 tablet from China. With Apple you take a standard Apple keyboard, sync the bluetooth which takes all of 30 seconds and you are good to go.

With the Android tablet You have to work with dodgy bluetooth (or other wireless) buttons that clog the USB port or (heaven forbid) use an old style wired keyboard. The problem with an old style wired keyboard is that the system doesn't really put enough juice through the USB port to power a mouse tethered to a keyboard. But this is likely a problem with the cheap chinese construction and will likely go away with bigger names (and higher prices) wntering the market.

The Android interface is just less intuitive, what's up with two separate program screens? Why is "back" such a hard concept for Android that you need to program it to a button? Why does Android keep referring to my tablet as a "phone?" And where's multi-touch or something equivalent?

persia 
Posted on 17-Aug-2010 11:30:46
#185 ]

@vidarh

The computer in a keyboard design was a money saving move. Nowadays it costs more to build, because parts have become so much cheaper.

You are right it was an ergonomic disaster. But I think with was an important step in the building of a laptop. You can sort of look at it like the dinosaurs. You can say the dinosaurs went extinct because they were too big and impractical or you can say they evolved into birds and continue to be a dominant group. Similarly the lumbering computers in a keyboard evolved into the elegant notebooks of today.

Commodore, the original Commodore, would have leapt on the laptop/netbook design. Building a keyboard computer today is just someone taking an old name, copying the form and putting out a product. In a way it's an insult to the days when keyboards with computers in them made sense. The days when monitors were heavy beasts and everybody was (often literally) building computers in their garages....

Arko 
Posted on 17-Aug-2010 12:13:44
#186 ]

@persia

Quote:

persia wrote:
@Arko

Currently the Apple tablets seem to just work better than the Android tablets.

Funny no one in the artikle I linked to, mentioned Android, maybe you have readed it somewhere in an advertisement banner.

vidarh 
Posted on 17-Aug-2010 13:03:11
#187 ]
Cult Member

@persia

Quote:
The computer in a keyboard design was a money saving move. Nowadays it costs more to build, because parts have become so much cheaper.

If you'd get sufficiently volume it still ought to be cheaper. The problem is that you won't get sufficient volume. But in any case it doesn't really matter since the target market for that kind of case won't be people that particularly care about the price.

Quote:
You are right it was an ergonomic disaster. But I think with was an important step in the building of a laptop

I wasn't referring to laptops. The hinge on a laptop makes it ok to work with, though I'm about to get myself a desktop again because I want a proper work station. What I was referring to was specifically the picture of the concept Arko posted for a design where the display seemed to be fixed at a 90 degree angle.

vidarh 
Posted on 17-Aug-2010 13:15:52
#188 ]
Cult Member

@Arko

Quote:
Exactly like the keyboard computer but at least it looks cool.

What ergonomical problems are there with a keyboard computer? You can easily place it at the appropriate distance, and as long as the incline of the keyboard isn't too steep it's far nicer to type on for me at least than a laptop keyboard is.

Quote:
Maybe you have not read the whole desciption:

No, I must admit I only looked at the pictures, and it seemed like a flawed concept to me, and still does - if I'm going to have a computer on my desktop, I'd like the keyboard to be detached completely so I get proper distance to the screen and can get the screen high enough up from the keyboard not to strain my neck, in which case that design has no redeeming features over a normal desktop or a "keyboard computer". If I'm going to use it as a laptop I want it smaller.

It just seems to me like it's trying to be too many things, just like those hugely oversized 4kg-5kg monster "laptops" you can buy these days.

persia 
Posted on 17-Aug-2010 14:09:08
#189 ]

@vidarh

You just put the tablet on a stand and bluetooth the keyboard and mouse. Make the stand adjustable. Commodore would have had this if they were still around.....

Tablets are the 2011 analogue of 1980's computer in a keyboard boxes. Commodore would have be all over them like a cheap suit on a chimp.

Arko 
Posted on 17-Aug-2010 14:15:52
#190 ]

@vidarh

Quote:

vidarh wrote:
@Arko

What ergonomical problems are there with a keyboard computer? You can easily place it at the appropriate distance, and as long as the incline of the keyboard isn't too steep it's far nicer to type on for me at least than a laptop keyboard is.

Yes but I don't think it could hide them behind a monitor or under a desk or at some other place where I can connect all those wonderfull I/O I would like to have connected to them.

persia 
Posted on 17-Aug-2010 14:53:46
#191 ]

@Arko

Yeah, exactly, you put the laptop in a dock when not travelling. This gives you the best of both world...

vidarh 
Posted on 23-Aug-2010 14:30:46
#192 ]
Cult Member

@Arko

Quote:
Yes but I don't think it could hide them behind a monitor or under a desk or at some other place where I can connect all those wonderfull I/O I would like to have connected to them.

That misses the point/appeal of them completely.

The appeal of a keyboard computer today is something simple but retro, but somewhat updated.

If you want to put it behind a monitor or under a desk you obviously wouldn't buy something where you are paying extra for the look.

Different markets.

Naz 
Posted on 23-Aug-2010 14:58:35
#193 ]

the website has not been modified yet.

Last edited by Naz on 23-Aug-2010 at 06:07 PM.

persia 
Posted on 23-Aug-2010 15:37:45
#194 ]

@Naz

And what would you expect from a furniture company?

Hattig 
Posted on 23-Aug-2010 16:08:56
#195 ]

To be honest I wouldn't mind a case like the A1000, with a keyboard tray and matching keyboard (although I think a keyboard like Apple's wireless keyboard would be nice these days, except it would recharge when slotted into the computer). It's really handy to have the keyboard separate (unless the computer is tiny, even then the cables for an integrated keyboard computer are annoying) in my opinion, and there are no cost reasons to integrate any more.

As for all-in-one designs like the iMac, you either have something that looks good (iMac), or terrible (all PC variants on the iMac format).

Argosy 
Posted on 23-Aug-2010 17:42:14
#196 ]

@Hattig

These 2 computers are primarily focused on the retro market, hence the design, the names and all-in-one keyboard. There's nothing stopping Commodore making a tower or a desktop case, and BigBen did hint they'd be selling separate keyboards, which probably includes wireless also.

BTW, BigBen, when is the 1st revision of the new website coming on-line? You said last week, don't let us down

We'll go to that forbidden land.

djnick 
Posted on 23-Aug-2010 19:59:49
#197 ]
Cult Member

@BigBentheAussie

Wow! Great work, mate! I like what you started! What OS will be in new Commodore???

Keep it up with great work & all best! :)

persia 
Posted on 23-Aug-2010 20:40:40
#198 ]

@Hattig

Now you are talking, I still miss the A1000 design after all these years. Yeah, having it recharge keyboard and mouse while they are in the dock would be brilliant. Imagine never having to replace a keyboard or mouse battery again.

Dandy 
Posted on 31-Aug-2010 10:19:12
#199 ]
Elite Member

@BigBentheAussie

There may even be an open letter from Barry, introducing himself and ...

[/quote]

Barry - like Barry Moss, aka Fleecy?

Dandy

Manu 
Posted on 31-Aug-2010 10:49:58
#200 ]

@Dandy

Of course not, it's Barry as in Barry S. Altman, CEO of Cybernet.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle