Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 108 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  2 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 49 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 50 mins ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 33 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Inc. offshoot
      /  The New Commodore Amiga 500x and Commodore 64x
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
PosterThread
persia 
Re: The New Commodore Amiga 500x and Commodore 64x
Posted on 13-Dec-2010 16:49:07
#461 ]

@vox

I doubt that their will be any confusion. The AmigaOS & Morphos communities are too tightly knit to get confused. And people that buy an X86 Amiga aren't likely to be looking for a community like this one anyway. The world is likely big enough for both kinds of Amigas to live in peace.

This whole thing has a bit of the "tempest in a teacup" feel. I think part of that was C=USA's belief that the name and computer in a keyboard format would be something that would make us natural customers. Personally I love my A1200, but I wouldn't buy a modern computer in that format. It really made sense in the days when monitors weighed more than computers and were big and bulky. There's a genuiness about the A1200 that would be completely absent in a modern computer in a keyboard.

We've got three All in One computers in the house that we use, my wifes iMac, my son's iMac and an intel Mac laptop. The A1200 is not and never was an All in One, C=USA's marketing their C64 as such is confusing.

Profile     Report this post  
linnar 
Posted on 13-Dec-2010 17:32:09
#462 ]
Cult Member

@vox

It feels so nice to talk to sometimes?
Right?

We are here for you, we know how it feels sometimes.

ruben 
Posted on 13-Dec-2010 18:00:54
#463 ]

@linnar

Please tell me you're not going to call for a group hug...

vox 
Posted on 13-Dec-2010 18:28:45
#464 ]
Elite Member

@linnar

Thanks for the group therapy, but that`s not an issue.
A little bit more leadership skills and proper education, and you might get yourself a new job

I suppose its sarcasm to me being too upset, but yes, from this community perspective (and my personally) CBM USA endavour could not come at worse time when new hardware is out and software is getting ready to be upgraded. And they ignore all the other people`s work like it`s nothing.

@Persia

No, confusion will not be in AROS/MOS/OS4 community but in gerenal audience what is Amiga, especially with Workbench and completely same model names like Classics.

In a year or so, it would be difficult to explain AmigaOS 4.x/MOS exists when everyone will think Ubuntu theme called Workbench 5 is that. So it leaves less space to AmigaX1000 and OS4 promotion when time comes, since media and people will be already looking and Commodore Amiga. It`s not envy, but CUSA`s try to earn money on nostalgia without much effort and not to really design anything new.

We`ll see what the future holds. Personally, it`s better that the WB 5.0 forum site opens, and let the new breed of "x86 Amigans" enjoy themselves there.

linnar 
Posted on 13-Dec-2010 18:39:24
#465 ]
Cult Member

@ruben

linnar 
Posted on 13-Dec-2010 18:43:55
#466 ]
Cult Member

@vox

I assume that the (Commodore) do what they want without asking anyone!?
It is up to be and to determine what each one thinks!

Why write a whole novel about it?

tommywright 
Posted on 13-Dec-2010 19:28:53
#467 ]

I know I'm going to get hazed for this but...

I would actually like to see a Linux distro like Ubuntu (maybe X-Amiga but more robust) running on this "Commodore Amiga". The reason is that Linux (Ubuntu specifically) has really shaped up into a fun little OS. It reminds me of my old Amiga and I think it would be closer to what AmigaOS would be if Commodore (the real one) hadn't gone under.

I love playing with AROS... but honestly, it doesn't do very much at the moment.

I'm certainly not paying $1500 for an "Amiga X1000" that probably doesn't do much more than the $200 AROS comptuer I have.

I might buy an old Mac to run MOS (which from what I read is the best of the three OSes) but where does this OS go when Mac no longer makes PPC boards? The way of OS4 with their crazy expensive hardware?

I agree with the person that said that CUSA can co-exist. OS4, AROS and MOS seem to be very techy apps for people who are into diving into hardware/software issues. Everyone else just wants something that works. Ubuntu has something like 2% of the market right now which puts it in the category of a struggling OS.... but it has so much more momentum that any of the Amiga OSes.

I'm certainly not saying I know what the answer is but I think the community needs to ask itself "where do we want to be in 2 years". I think each OS can have it's own path to reach those goals without stepping on each other (including this Commodore thingy).

ruben 
Posted on 13-Dec-2010 19:41:14
#468 ]

@vox

You have a valid point on the issue of confusion and branding but you're overestimating it's real importance. Target markets of CUSA and OS4 companies are not the same.

Commodore Amiga = Line of x86 machines running Amiga flavored Linux (or whatever)
AmigaOne = Line of PPC machines running AmigaOS4

Sounds clear enough for me.

_Steve_ 
Posted on 13-Dec-2010 20:59:43
#469 ]
Team Member

@damocles

Quote:

damocles wrote:
@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
You are speculating on a lot of things including legalities.

It's just desperation to find something to justify his beliefs. I mean OS4, everyone knows that is what iPhones use.

Without being overly pedantic, everyone knows that iOSx is what iPhones use (where x is typically 3 or 4 (or subversions thereof).

The i is of particular importance there. Prior to Mac OS 7.6, all of their operating systems were just known as System x (x being 1 through to 7.5.5). After that point the OS became more commonly referred to as Mac OS (number) although for abbreviations sake, the Mac OS part was typically dropped.

Arko 
Posted on 13-Dec-2010 21:37:17
#470 ]

@_Steve_

Quote:

_Steve_ wrote:
@damocles

Quote:

damocles wrote:
@BigBentheAussie

[quote]You are speculating on a lot of things including legalities.

It's just desperation to find something to justify his beliefs. I mean OS4, everyone knows that is what iPhones use.

Without being overly pedantic, everyone knows that iOSx is what iPhones use (where x is typically 3 or 4 (or subversions thereof).

The i is of particular importance there. Prior to Mac OS 7.6, ...
[/quote]

Most people ignore this little facts, try it for yourself:
Go to google.com and search for "OS4" the first 10 links ( I didn't look for more ) where related to (i)OS4.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

vox 
Posted on 31-May-2012 1:38:53
#471 ]
Elite Member

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
It's going to be made. Those are only preliminary specs for the Fantasy/C500. What PC hardware do you want in there?

Where is that A500x beside Loriano`s?

Quote:
I assume that the (Commodore) do what they want without asking anyone!? It is up to be and to determine what each one thinks! Why write a whole novel about it?

Good observation. Sometimes they don`t ask about legal strenght of their licences, or about realism of the promises.

They are soap opera worth.

Hope "No rise and Fall of CommodoreUSA" will be a best seller

Mods please move this to Amiga Inc off shoot

Last edited by vox on 31-May-2012 at 01:42 AM.
Last edited by vox on 31-May-2012 at 01:41 AM.
Last edited by vox on 31-May-2012 at 01:40 AM.

Rob 
Posted on 31-May-2012 1:58:54
#472 ]
Elite Member

@Arko

Quote:
Most people ignore this little facts, try it for yourself:
Go to google.com and search for "OS4" the first 10 links ( I didn't look for more ) where related to (i)OS4.

Regardless of the fact that Apple iOS is higher up the first page of a Google search for "OS4" than Amiga OS, I think it's safe to say that in the context of a discussion on an Amiga forum with the subject "OS4" the reference is Amiga OS unless otherwise stated.

Last edited by Rob on 31-May-2012 at 02:02 AM.

vox 
Re: The Commodore C500 and PC64
Posted on 31-May-2012 2:04:20
#473 ]
Elite Member

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
I know the Amigo will get a name change shortly. The Amigo name was obviously tongue in cheek.

http://www.CommodoreUSA.net/amigo.html
Page Does Not Exist

I'm afraid the page you are referring to does not exist. Please use the menu to navigate this website.

Quote:
CommodoOS, AmigO, high end 20 000$ WS, AIO Amiga A500/A1200 case, Workbench V, new developed OS ... as with AROS announce ... and similar shows C=USA is willing to try before having legal rights and then just forgetting about it in name of progress and hidding the evidence

As well as http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=32205&forum=17&start=20&viewmode=flat&order=0#574900

Quote:
Does Commodore USA plan to possibly support the development of, say, AROS, or any other Amiga(like) OS? Yes!

So how shall we trust any further announcements?

Everything seems to be between PR stunt and market test, for free

Last edited by vox on 31-May-2012 at 02:32 AM.
Last edited by vox on 31-May-2012 at 02:30 AM.

tiffers 
Posted on 31-May-2012 8:40:25
#474 ]

@vox

They're called forward looking statements and should be taken as such.

The thread is 2 years old, things change.

vox 
Posted on 31-May-2012 16:37:23
#475 ]
Elite Member

@tiffers

Quote:
They're called forward looking statements and should be taken as such. The thread is 2 years old, things change.

People (and companies too) are worth as much as their word.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 31-May-2012 16:52:43
#476 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:
Mods please move this to Amiga Inc off shoot

Way did you bump the tread to the front page?

vox 
Posted on 31-May-2012 17:02:09
#477 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
Way did you bump the tread to the front page?

To expose how propagandic and grandeur C=USA is, and how little it really cares.

jkirk 
Posted on 31-May-2012 18:49:53
#478 ]
Elite Member

@vox

"To expose how propagandic and grandeur C=USA is, and how little it really cares."

you are exposing something else tho and it is not what you intended.

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

zerohero 
Posted on 31-May-2012 18:52:11
#479 ]
Team Member

@vox

You need to stop this now, it's getting annoying. You're bumping a thread from December 2010 just to tell us to move it to the correct forum? A forum that wasn't even created when this thread was started?

No, I won't move this thread, but I will restrict you for 180 days if you continue to behave like this. Understood?

Kind regards,
Your friendly neighborhood moderator Joachim Birging

AmigaWorld.Net staff

vox 
Posted on 1-Jun-2012 7:52:03
#480 ]
Elite Member

@zerohero

Quote:
A forum that wasn't even created when this thread was started? No, I won't move this thread, but I will restrict you for 180 days if you continue to behave like this. Understood?

This discussion alone contains interesting info and promises made, which have not been fullfilled within 2 years frame e.g. A500 replica case.

So its not a pure bump with bump message.

It belongs to Amiga Inc category, which should a be created 2 years ago and reason to ask to move it is so its not eyepicking on the fitst page.

You are free to impose your Draconian decision,
just because you won`t moderate properly.

Quote:
you are exposing something else tho and it is not what you intended.

Please let me know what. People tend to easily forget this kind of promises,. just because new one are made. Just like with politricks.

Last edited by vox on 01-Jun-2012 at 07:53 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle