Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 155 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

Hypex,  Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hypex:  5 secs ago
 Gunnar:  1 min ago
 DiscreetFX:  14 mins ago
 saimo:  24 mins ago
 amigakit:  42 mins ago
 OldFart:  42 mins ago
 _ThEcRoW:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 retrofaza:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 31 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Development
      /  Proposal to make Zune MUI4 compatible (Bounty)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
Fab 
Re: Proposal to make Zune MUI4 compatible (Bounty)
Posted on 22-Aug-2010 13:38:09
#61 ]

@ShInKurO

Process class is only used at startup for fontconfig cache generation, but it's very easily replacable, at worst.

I use Create/Delete/DragImage to drag links (and possibly images or whatever later).

I use MUIM_Menustrip_Popup for some things like HTML select gadgets (though a popup listview would allow more, actually).

As said previously, i use a lot Group and Family methods for dynamic content creation/destruction, in groups, and menu objects.

I think Zune doesn't handle well Dataspace/Import/Export methods, which i use for prefs loading/saving.

That's about all i can think at the moment.

Profile     Report this post  
ShInKurO 
Posted on 22-Aug-2010 13:53:05
#62 ]

@Fab

Quote:

I use Create/Delete/DragImage to drag links (and possibly images or whatever later).

As said previously, i use a lot Group and Family methods for dynamic content creation/destruction, in groups, and menu objects.

So Area, Group new APIs

Quote:

I use MUIM_Menustrip_Popup for some things like HTML select gadgets (though a popup listview would allow more, actually).

Ok this miss me, menu classes new API

Quote:

I think Zune doesn't handle well Dataspace/Import/Export methods, which i use for prefs loading/saving.

Uhm, never tried dataspace class, but that should be a bugfix problem of Zune.

Thanks!

ChrisH 
Posted on 22-Aug-2010 15:31:15
#63 ]
Elite Member

@afxgroup Quote:
*ACTUALLY* do you see an OS4 developer that release its program for MOS? Do you see a MOS developer that release its program for OS4??

I certainly plan (as time allows) to release my OS4 programs (where possible) for both AROS & MOS (and even OS3 where it makes sense). For example I already did for PortablE & the beta of FolderSync2. But I prefer my OS4 programs to be nearly finished before doing so. e.g. PictureAlbum.

Last edited by ChrisH on 22-Aug-2010 at 03:43 PM.

ChrisH 
Re: Proposal to make Zune MUI4 compatible
Posted on 22-Aug-2010 15:42:35
#64 ]
Elite Member

@Fab Quote:
Without MUI4 clone, if we just take the list example (there are of course other cases), it wouldbe done ... by implementing of list subclass adding the missing functionality, meaning less changes to the OWB files (of course doing that is a bit the same as improving MUI/Zune

For anyone not clear: Fab suggests writing a MUI4 compatibility layer which runs on top of MUI3 (and clones), which is used to help compile MUI4 programs like OWB.

I think that is the way it SHOULD be done, where possible, because it will take a lot LESS effort than (1) fixing all of Zune's bugs, (2) adding MUI 3.x functionality missing from Zune, (3) adding/rewriting Zune to be MUI 4.x compatible, and (4) porting Zune to OS4.

For AROS some effort would still need to be done to fix-up Zune's 3.x compatibility, but that'd be a lot less effort, and only the existing Zune developers (on AROS) would need to do it, so no need to worry about trying to convincing non-AROS devs to work on Zune.

Last edited by ChrisH on 22-Aug-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 22-Aug-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 22-Aug-2010 at 03:43 PM.

Tomppeli 
Posted on 22-Aug-2010 15:43:02
#65 ]

@thread

Why Zune have to be made on the same level with MUI4. Why MUI4 is not opensourced instead ?

ShInKurO 
Posted on 22-Aug-2010 17:54:49
#66 ]

@ChrisH

Quote:

For anyone not clear: Fab suggests writing a MUI4 compatibility layer which runs on top of MUI3 (and clones), which is used to help compile MUI4 programs like OWB.

I think that is the way it SHOULD be done, where possible, because it will take a lot LESS effort than (1) fixing all of Zune's bugs, (2) adding MUI 3.x functionality missing from Zune, (3) adding/rewriting Zune to be MUI 4.x compatible, and (4) porting Zune to OS4.

For AROS some effort would still need to be done to fix-up Zune's 3.x compatibility, but that'd be a lot less effort, and only the existing Zune developers (on AROS) would need to do it, so no need to worry about trying to convincing non-AROS devs to work on Zune.

If this compatibility layer was to release open source under AROS licence then after it could be integrated into Zune, I believe this could be the right way...

wawa 
Posted on 22-Aug-2010 19:05:01
#67 ]
Elite Member

@ShInKurO

i strongly support enchancement of zune for mui4 compatibility. i think zune being open source is only legitimate way to go even if it is more work than upgrading os4 mui3.9 where the community fragmentation would still remain and legality of such an approach is unclear, so it might become another dead end soon. zune is not getting enough attention in my opinion, and not tested enough, thats the problem. especially on 68k systems that are apparently less bug tolerant than the others.

as for a bounty i might support it but with some consideration. bounties have a little of chicken and egg problem: where there is no really dedicated and skillful developer they are mostly picked up and then endlessly occupied by unqualified people, practically blocking the branch of developement for months (regardless the amount of money invested). and im not sure how much cash is really attracting average amiga devs, even friedens or chris hodges who have defined their bounties themselves.

afxgroup 
Posted on 22-Aug-2010 19:37:05
#68 ]

i will stay at window.. but a simply question.. instead of run behind all MUI4 changes and implement them into the new Zune, why don't ask Stefan Stunz to port MUI4 to OS4 and Aros??
This is the fastest and problems proof solution.. otherwhise you will have to add always new functionalities and/or wrap your files of #ifdef until a new Zune4 version is released..

Good luck..

kas1e 
Posted on 22-Aug-2010 19:55:15
#69 ]
Elite Member

Maybe indeed will be better to contact with mui4 author, and ask him how much money he want, to make aos4/aros port of mui4 ?

ShInKurO 
Posted on 22-Aug-2010 20:04:52
#70 ]

@kas1e

guys many months ago someone has just sent to Stunz a mail to ask him to port MUI4 on OS4, he hadn't time for that, so if you want try to ask him if he want port MUI4 on OS4 and AROS fell free to send a mail asking him if he want a bounty to make these ports on AROS and OS4.
At this point I'm curious what he will reply you

michalsc 
Posted on 22-Aug-2010 20:19:30
#71 ]
AROS Core Developer

@afxgroup

Basing whole GUI of an opensource operating system on a closed source proprietary toolkit compiled by 3rd party developer. Now, that would be an interesting experiment...

ChrisH 
Posted on 22-Aug-2010 20:40:21
#72 ]
Elite Member

@ShInKurO Quote:
If this compatibility layer was to release open source under AROS licence then after it could be integrated into Zune, I believe this could be the right way...

That sounds a reasonable idea. My only worry would be that this would effectively fork the compatibility layer, but I guess if it was already mostly-complete then that wouldn't be a big issue.

Now only the easy problem of finding someone to write it

ShInKurO 
Posted on 23-Aug-2010 5:16:23
#73 ]

@ChrisH

Quote:

That sounds a reasonable idea. My only worry would be that this would effectively fork the compatibility layer, but I guess if it was already mostly-complete then that wouldn't be a big issue.

Now only the easy problem of finding someone to write it

I believe this bounty is always valid and should be created, if code layer for MUI3.9 was written and release open source with AROS licence then the author can integrate it into Zune and then takes part of bounty...

paolone 
Posted on 23-Aug-2010 8:01:50
#74 ]

@Tomppeli

Quote:
Why Zune have to be made on the same level with MUI4. Why MUI4 is not opensourced instead ?

The whole Zune effort has been done since MUI wasn't and still isn't open source. I don't know exactily what are *current* MUI revenues, but if they are fairly low, maybe it would be easier today to change its author mind about open sourcing it, best of all using a commercial-friendly license like the APL, exactly like Poseidon author did in the past.

This would mean throwing years of Zune development in the dustbin, though.

rzookol 
Posted on 23-Aug-2010 8:24:51
#75 ]

@paolone

MUI4 is a part of commercial system - Morphos, i don't see a reason for author for releasing it as free software.

OS4 has the best TCP/IP stack among amiga-like systems. I would be nice to have it on aros/morphos/os3.x but it won't be released as free software. It's the same (bad) situation.

ChrisH 
Posted on 23-Aug-2010 8:45:55
#76 ]
Elite Member

@rzookol
MUI4's situation seems a bit different (from my uneducated perspective). Rather than repeat myself, I'll just point you here.

Last edited by ChrisH on 23-Aug-2010 at 08:46 AM.

rzookol 
Posted on 23-Aug-2010 9:15:28
#77 ]

@ChrisH

You wrote: "I think it's reasonable that *any* OS improvements (not just GUI) added in OS4 don't get back-ported to OS3, because OS4 was designed to succeed OS3."

This sentence could be rewrite by changing OS4 -> Morphos.

I prefer updating ZUNE, it's free and quite advanced but updated slowly
http://repo.or.cz/w/AROS.git?a=search&h=HEAD&st=commit&s=MUI

Kronos 
Posted on 23-Aug-2010 9:32:28
#78 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH

Your argument is false as it seems you suggust you have a RIGHT to upgrades, which you don't.

People bought keyfiles for MUI to run whatever version was current at that time under 68k-AmigaOS.

They can still do that today.

Hyperion bough in MUI3.9 under certain conditions and with known features. All these still work up today.

The product got developed further, but wether the author offers you an upgrade (free or payed) or decides to only maintain it for another platform is only his descicion.

It's allmost like demanding a port of the current "Prince of Persia" cos there was once a similar Amiga-game....

OS4 being "official" or "the successor" play no role in here.

ShInKurO 
Posted on 23-Aug-2010 11:10:39
#79 ]

@all
There is someone interested to this kind of bounty, he is able to do this work but actually he hasn't no time, I believe this bounty has to be done...

Anonymous 
Posted on 23-Aug-2010 11:21:58
# ]

@Kronos

In Amiga land you have the Godfather system of product support, which is perpetual and based on bloodline.

@ShInKurO

So are they completely out of the picture then, or could they free up time if the price were right?

Chris

Report this post  
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle