Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 105 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  1 min ago
 OneTimer1:  8 mins ago
 matthey:  9 mins ago
 RobertB:  11 mins ago
 pavlor:  43 mins ago
 VooDoo:  44 mins ago
 OldFart:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 16 mins ago
 michalsc:  3 hrs 26 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  AMIGA Name bought by Commodore!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
PosterThread
Dandy 
Re: AMIGA Name bought by Commodore!
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 13:59:11
#261 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:

WolfToTheMoon wrote:
@KimmoK

Commodore PC64 could sell 10 000+ units easily per markets like UK, USA and Germany alone. That's just PC64...

Where do you take the confidence from that people will jump up and rush to get a plain x86 box with a Commodore label sticked on it?

I guess the machine will be more expensive with Commodore sticker on it than without (finally Commodore want to have a margin).

What would be the advantage for me as customer to buy an expensive Commodore-labeled box, if I could have the same machine without the Commodore sticker for less money?

Not to mention the fact that I prefer big box towers because of their expandability over all-in-one keyboard toys anytime...

Quote:

WolfToTheMoon wrote:

Hyperion have nothing to bring on the table worth buying, if not only for the name Amiga OS.

IMO they have more to offeer than Commodore and AInc together - but this is just my opinion...

Quote:

WolfToTheMoon wrote:

But since they cannot run Amiga OS anyway on x86, there's really no sense to go for that.

This is exactly what I meant - why should I buy an x86 box when I cannot run AmigaOS on it?
I already have an x86 XP-PC anyway...

Quote:

WolfToTheMoon wrote:

A rewrite to x86 is negated by the existence of AROS...

Nope.
It was renegated by the AmigaOS devs (Rogue, IIRC).

Quote:

WolfToTheMoon wrote:

that is, it would be much cheaper and faster for Commodore to hire some devs to work on that.

Wouldn't it make more economic sense if they abstained from having an own dev team and would outsource the development to AmigaDev India?

Quote:

WolfToTheMoon wrote:

And frankly, based on their previous record, I would want to stay away from hyperion as far as I can.

At least they already prooved that they are able to actually develop and market products. Commodore still has to do that...

Dandy

Profile     Report this post  
WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 14:06:13
#262 ]

@Dandy

Quote:
Where do you take the confidence from that people will jump up and rush to get a plain x86 box with a Commodore label sticked on it?

People buy MSI, ASUS, ACER, Toshiba, Sony..., branded "just PCs" over the much cheaper no-name PC stuff. IMHO, Commodore name can easily play level to any of those names. Plus, the C64 community and memory is still very much alive and many of those people(some, what, 20-30 million) might feel nostalgic enough to buy it. IMHO, why not? Out of those 20-30 million ex C64 users they should be able to sell 50 000 easily, not counting new comers and those that have to have cool hardware no matter the cost(which will be affordable I'm assured).

Quote:
This is exactly what I meant - why should I buy an x86 box when I cannot run AmigaOS on it? I already have an x86 XP-PC anyway...

It's not marketed at you, but rather at me and mainstream people... that's a market of several hundred million users, rather then several thousand users that AmigaOS is marketed at.

Quote:
At least they already prooved that they are able to actually develop and market products

Fair enough...

Last edited by WolfToTheMoon on 03-Sep-2010 at 02:07 PM.

Templario 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 14:20:48
#263 ]
Elite Member

@All
It would have been worse if the mark to have bought for MicroSoft or Apple.

cha05e90 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 14:21:16
#264 ]

@andres

Quote:
You remind me of an old idea of our Prime Minister Berlusconi, when he advised FIAT to rename the Fiat Stilo in Ferrari 500 ...

How cool is that!

cha05e90 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 14:23:30
#265 ]

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
to writing new software for this new platform(Commodore Ubuntu).

Hrgh? You can write software for Ubuntu all the day - what has this to do with "Commodore"???

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 14:27:49
#266 ]

@cha05e90

Quote:
Hrgh? You can write software for Ubuntu all the day - what has this to do with "Commodore"???

I have suggested to them to think about something in line of Apple store, where Ubuntu(and possibly AROS but I doubt it) Commodore-only applications and other merchandise could be sold.

pavlor 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 14:57:38
#267 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
again actively rejoin community and I hope it to be a big, happy community of x86 Commodore and Amigas

You mean our community? (I understand the word "rejoin" as joining something you left.)

Quote:
I will be happy using UAE but I'm mainly looking forward to writing new software for this new platform(Commodore Ubuntu).

I thought Ubuntu is there for some years... Linux is nice OS for people that like it. However, you will find on this forum mainly people that use and admire another OS(s).

By the way, what new software for Ubuntu you have in mind?

clusteruk 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 14:59:35
#268 ]

@WolfToTheMoon

Well is it just the brand that you like or the Aros on x86 hardware, because if you forget the great work done by the Aros developers, Pascal and I have been working on making this a reality for nearly two years with the IMICA and AresOne projects.

No old historic brand name but ready to buy now and play with, all this time we quietly went about getting drivers ready and showing the world when it was ready via YouTube.

I look forward to seeing videos of the new "Commodore Amiga" on x86 running natively.

Edit:
http://www.youtube.com/clusterukdevelopment
http://www.youtube.com/AresComputer1

Last edited by clusteruk on 03-Sep-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Last edited by clusteruk on 03-Sep-2010 at 03:00 PM.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 15:04:21
#269 ]

@pavlor

Quote:
You mean our community? (I understand the word "rejoin" as joining something you left.)

I mean commodore and amiga community in general... yes, I've left years ago when my interest in C64 and A500 vaned and reality forced me to go to PC. What can I say... I was young and foolish

Quote:
By the way, what new software for Ubuntu you have in mind?

I was thinking remake of popular old games(and new games), commodore/amiga styled themes/GUI(some of them retro), general applications.

Even if they don't do it(The Store), if the machines are a success and there is a market for something like this, I will open my own "CommodoreMarket"(offcourse, it will not be called exactly like that for legal reasons) and work from there. In that case, everything will probably be freeware as to avoid any legal repercussions and anybody will be free to contribute.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 15:08:33
#270 ]

@clusteruk

I am well aware of your iMica and AresOne projects and I applaud you for being one of the nicest guys in probably the whole amiga community. I also applaud your vision because you knew a long time ago that x86 was the way forward.

That said, my interest in AROS is currently near to zero. When and if it matures far enough to be of interest to people not strictly connected with Amiga community, I will consider doing something about it.

I do, from time to time, download a nightly.

clusteruk 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 15:11:35
#271 ]

@WolfToTheMoon

Fair enough, although the nightlies are not the best example because they can be flaky sometimes. ICAROS is your best bet and you cannot beat running natively.

However, the last comment was aimed at Commodore USA, would be nice to see these machines running after all the hype

Last edited by clusteruk on 03-Sep-2010 at 03:12 PM.

Templario 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 15:18:49
#272 ]
Elite Member

@clusteruk

Hey friend, excuse me for what I will say if it offends you, but I think that for your and ARES One project, after of fight several years, Commodore USA going to steal your work and efforts to make AROS is a serious and stable operating system, and now to climb on the bandwagon of nostalgia to make money.
I in case to change to OS and CPU, I choose your machine before the Commodore.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 15:29:04
#273 ]

@Templario

Quote:
Hey friend, excuse me for what I will say if it offends you, but I think that for your and ARES One project, after of fight several years, Commodore USA going to steal your work and efforts to make AROS is a serious and stable operating system, and now to climb on the bandwagon of nostalgia to make money.

I'm sorry, but this is pure kaka

Firstly, AROS license was designed exactly with this in mind. They knew and hoped this could happen.

Secondly, I sincerely doubt that much of the new x86 Amiga or Commodore users will be using AROS. And why should they when there's UAE to do the exactly same thing. In my mind, Commodore decided on this move simply to ease the transition to x86 and the fact that they do not make what today is considered a official AmigaOS. I know that mr. Nigro is a big fan od AROS, but I do not see it working. Perhaps... perhaps if they make enough profit and decide to do their own OS based on AROS, but again, being OS 3.1 compatible is not something that would attract new users away from Mac, Linux or Win OS these days.

So, even if it is officially supported, I do not expect Commodore attracting that much users with it. So no stealing thunder then.

And Commodore has only rights on AIO systems which means iMica and AresOne are free to work on other formats.

clusteruk 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 15:34:51
#274 ]

@Templario

Struggled to be sure exactly what you meant, but if Commodore USA manage to make a huge success of this and Aros is developed to be as good if not better than OS4 and MorphOS then I will be really happy because I am also hoping to launch iMica development software and need lots of users out there

I never wanted to make and sell hardware, to many hassles, I just wanted to give people a base Atom platform for low cost experience of an Amiga like OS. After all there are more iMica's out there built by users than I have sold, so the plan is working.

Templario 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 15:37:19
#275 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

but what you tell me? kaka or mierda, the stupid mode of the vintage or revival, is very bored,
I prefer the PPC CPU and OS4 alhtough they are minority, the Amiga spirit is rebel and it is more with both options together

pavlor 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 15:37:22
#276 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
In my mind, Commodore decided on this move simply to ease the transition to x86

Transition? Their possible customers probably already have x86 machine. Or you mean transition for classic users or even AmigaOS 4 and MorphOS users?

Quote:
perhaps if they make enough profit and decide to do their own OS based on AROS, but again, being OS 3.1 compatible is not something that would attract new users away from Mac, Linux or Win OS these days.

True.

ruben 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 15:41:28
#277 ]

@Templario

Quote:
Commodore USA going to steal your work and efforts to make AROS is a serious and stable operating system

It has been said already: AROS license permits anyone to commercially release a product using AROS. How are they stealing clusteruk's work?
Yes, it's tough that this would present competition to Imica and Ares, but such are the ways of the free market.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 15:44:51
#278 ]

@pavlor

Quote:
Transition? Their possible customers probably already have x86 machine. Or you mean transition for classic users or even AmigaOS 4 and MorphOS users?

I mean transition to current and classic users that are still thinking amiga should be amiga also as an OS. That and also it helps them in their marketing as a "new amiga"(that is, we're not only selling amiga badged computers with some random OS, we are also supporting a amiga related OS). Makes them look and feel more like the original Amiga.

In my opinion, npt worth it because they will not find that many users in the amiga market. Those that are not Name-fanatics are already running MOS or AROS and would probably make the jump to this new platform no matter which OS(except mabye win). Those who are OS 4 users are probably disgusted by this move and would never even think about switching. And even if they switch, supporting a OS with a user base of several thousand users is not very viable.

Last edited by WolfToTheMoon on 03-Sep-2010 at 03:45 PM.

ruben 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 15:47:03
#279 ]

@clusteruk

Quote:
so the plan is working.

A machiavellian laughter would go nice with that.

Templario 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 15:47:50
#280 ]
Elite Member

@ruben

Well, we are undestand, to ClusterUK doesn't steel AROS, because the main effort is of AROS' team, but also is true that the projects as ARES and IMica, have pushed a little more, having a real machine where to run the system, instead of virtual, is true that AROS runs on any x86 machine, but without a machine built for it as these two.

Other questions, is why the Amiga users, tip we get all, instead of programming or doing things for all Amiga systems, alls.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle