Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 129 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 zipper:  23 mins ago
 Hammer:  32 mins ago
 Birbo:  47 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 MarcioD:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 NancyNash:  2 hrs 12 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 41 mins ago
 Hypex:  2 hrs 58 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  Amiwest 2010 - News
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
PosterThread
ChrisH 
Re: Amiwest 2010 - News
Posted on 29-Oct-2010 16:03:29
#321 ]
Elite Member

@opi
Character assassination (*) was not the intention- someone made an interesting point which WolfToTheMoon has so far failed to answer (for whatever reason).

(* = although I'm not sure you should be pointing fingers...)

Last edited by ChrisH on 29-Oct-2010 at 04:58 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
number6 
Posted on 29-Oct-2010 16:49:24
#322 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH

Sorry to interrupt, but there seems to be a sincere desire on the part of some people to rewrite history about AmiWest organization and the nature of the show itself.

At the risk of being flamed by some people I shall repeat my previous post:

Quote:
Could people on other websites please stop attacking the show itself and the organizers. These are all volunteers who put in 2 days or more (in many cases) of their free time to try to keep people connected to recent events and establish an atmosphere where folks could still enjoy Amiga.

Classic presence has grown over the last few years to the point where the show offers the classic clinic, respected developers such as Jens Schoenfeld, guests representing that part of Amiga's past in the form of Carl, Dale, etc, as well as visitors holding the same interest.

AROS was not represent this year by the choice of....hold on to your hat you trollers reading...AROS. Absolutely nothing malevolent was involved. Steve indicated "Just could not afford it this year." Simple as that.

MorphOS was represented by AmigaDave, as well as Dave taking on other duties involving the gaming competition. But he did demonstrate MorphOS and people (those awful reds...in fact) were impressed with the work.
Due to the TOS of this site, I can't post emails and private messages in the forums to prove that I have spoken with people highly involved at both Morphzone and with MorphOS about greater involvement/exposure at the show.
You get to make a personal choice on that. Believe this post or call me a liar.
I don't care either way.
MorphOS is "keenly" aware that they have litte to no presence in the United States, and it is their decision alone on whether to address that, and if so, -how- to address that.

T-shirts were licensed for the show, so someone else, in a sense, was also represented without malice.

Those who want to accuse the show of improper balance, or flat out imbalance, fine..but don't pin that directly or try to "hint" that AmiWest staff and volunteers are responsible for this.

Thank you.

Edit: replaced comment with direct quote

Last edited by number6 on 29-Oct-2010 at 05:02 PM.

persia 
Posted on 29-Oct-2010 17:03:07
#323 ]

@DAX

250 X1000s do not constitute everyone who runs or develops for OS4, so unless you're planning on retro-fitting SAMs and Class PPC machines, those having access to the technology will be in the minority. And even then, those 250 are not all going to work on understanding XMOS.

And there are far more than 250 tinkering with XMOS through the USD 99 kit, so before you start comparing numbers be sure you are actually larger....

DAX 
Posted on 29-Oct-2010 18:50:51
#324 ]
Elite Member

@persia
250 is just the first run and aside from subsequent runs, there will be newer machines using Freescale processors, also many Sam users (like myself) and A1/PegII users will upgrade to something more powerful eventually.
Sparse xmos kit users on different platforms don't plan to use the technology for anything more than a few led blinking devices and it will stay that way.

eliyahu 
Posted on 29-Oct-2010 19:21:38
#325 ]

@DAX

Quote:
Sparse xmos kit users on different platforms don't plan to use the technology for anything more than a few led blinking devices and it will stay that way.

i don't know if that's entirely fair to the XMOS community.

i'm actually quite keen to see what is possible with the X1000 that i cannot due with any of the existing prototyping solutions already out there for XMOS tinkerers. for example i'd quite like to use a breadboard to build an RF stage, plug it into the 'xorro' slot and build an HF receiver from the 'xena' as an SDR. at least -- that's the first project i'd like to attempt. there are many more that are far more elaborate than the LED controllers you might be thinking of.

and that's rather the point: the inclusion of an XMOS processor with dedicated I/O to a PCIe slot is just for tinkerers. but we're a very creative community historically, and a bunch of us have backgrounds in engineering some way or another. it only costs a few dollars per board to include an XS-1 (or whatever will be spec'd), but the possibilities are endless and it gets you free marketing elsewhere where an amigaOS box wouldn't even be news. i think the varisys guys were 'on their game' when pitching the inclusion of an XMOS chip to trevor and company: one or two nutters out there create something cool on their X1000 and it helps sales. i'm thrilled A-EON approved its inclusion in the final designpoint.

there's little that the chip can be used for by the typical amigan at the moment, but for the tinkerers out there, it's a great add-on with tremendous potential. hey, counting me, there's at least one future customer excited.

-- eliyahu

DAX 
Posted on 29-Oct-2010 19:45:56
#326 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu
Ok I exagerated a little bit

And yes at the moment there is actually nothing an AMigan can do as...the X1000 isn't available for purchase!

But again, I pretty sure that if you make something standard, it will be adopted by the local population, which might extend beyond the tinkering stage once (and if) XMP cards will be available for Xorro (specially if populated with 2nd gen chips ).

amigadave 
Posted on 29-Oct-2010 21:23:15
#327 ]

@number6

I must admit that I felt a bit "out of the loop" this year, but I realize that it was not intentional from any club staff members that organize the show. It was more a function that there were to many other guests that needed and deserved the club staff's attention this year than in past years when only one or two guests have attended the AmiWest shows.

I am not a SACC member, nor directly involved in organizing the AmiWest shows, so there is no reason for me to be included in club communications regarding the show, but out of courtesy, the past two years the club staff went out of their way to make me feel welcome. This year they had more on their plate.

The MorphOS Developer Team was a huge help this year to me in providing me access to a beta version of MorphOS2.6 as well as the work-in-progress on supporting the G4 PowerBook. The Team also donated the MorphOS2.6 license key for the G4 eMac that was given away as the Grand Prize to the winner of the Amiga Game Competition. So, it is not fair or accurate to say that the MorphOS2.6 Developer Team was not represented at this year's AmiWest Show. Perhaps next year they will send a better qualified representative than myself, who has more experience with MorphOS and is a better speaker, that can do a seminar for the AmiWest Show of 2011.

I have felt very welcome at the AmiWest shows with my MorphOS2.x displays and expect that attitude to continue in the future. I only wish that I were better suited to giving a public MorphOS2.x presentation to all of the show attendees on the big screen. Maybe some year in the future I will be.

persia 
Posted on 29-Oct-2010 21:26:31
#328 ]

@DAX

XMOS looks like it would be quite handy with an iPhone.

http://www.xmos.com/news/23-feb-2010/xmos-launches-end-end-digital-iphone-dock-reference-design-high-quality-audio-repro

winnetcom 
Posted on 29-Oct-2010 21:34:44
#329 ]

@persia

I would like to tinker with XMOS technology through the Nemo motherboard with AnigaOS and Trevor says it's coming.

sundown 
Posted on 29-Oct-2010 21:57:58
#330 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

Quote:
I must admit that I felt a bit "out of the loop" this year, but I realize that it was not intentional from any club staff members that organize the show. It was more a function that there were to many other guests that needed and deserved the club staff's attention this year than in past years when only one or two guests have attended the AmiWest shows.

Indeed, there was a lot more going on this year, but you know we all look forward to seeing you every year now.

We are like family & you're part of it now.

I'm not a club member either, but Brian does enjoy hearing from all of us who attend the show every year.

persia 
Posted on 29-Oct-2010 22:06:14
#331 ]

@winnetcom

Perhaps the XMOS could be used to connect an iPhone with an X1000?

HammerD 
Posted on 30-Oct-2010 5:00:25
#332 ]
Cult Member

@persia

Quote:

persia wrote:
@winnetcom

Perhaps the XMOS could be used to connect an iPhone with an X1000?

You can connect an iPhone today using USB, even to a Classic Amiga using one of the available USB solutions. I connect and charge my iPhone 3GS to my Amiga 4000 all the time and I can even pull photos off of it, as an icon "iPhone" shows up on the workbench when I connect it.

Dirk-B 
Posted on 31-Oct-2010 1:00:07
#333 ]

@amigang

Quote:
* Varisys is currently still involved in the completion and testing of Revision 3 of Nemo boards. Varisys is currently still involved in the completion and testing of Revision 3 of Nemo boards. Beta testers should consider it before the year end in hands. Beta testers should consider it before the year end in hands. Generally available to the X1000 be next year, a more exact date that the concerns were not yet set Generally available to the X1000 be next year, set on a more precise date would be but not yet

The number 3 revision is an error, it must be revision 2.

sundown 
Posted on 31-Oct-2010 4:23:14
#334 ]
Elite Member

@Dirk-B

Quote:
The number 3 revision is an error, it must be revision 2.

You are correct, it is a rev 2 bd, not a rev 3.

sundown 
Posted on 31-Oct-2010 4:27:05
#335 ]
Elite Member

double post

Last edited by sundown on 31-Oct-2010 at 04:27 AM.

clusteruk 
Posted on 31-Oct-2010 11:25:35
#336 ]

@number6

Hi

Not sure you meant me in the Aros comment about the show, but if you did then it is true that I wanted to go but after doing VF, then Germany and other commitments I could not afford the flight and accomadation costs at all this year.

However, I have already indicated and emailed Chuck that I will do my absolute best to be there next year and show Aros in all of its, by then, New glory, after all the american Amiga shows always were the events to go to if at all possible and appear to still be that. As it is in California which I love, I will try and make a holiday of it as well. Maybe call in and see Paul while I am there.

Even though I missed most of Bens and all of Trevors speech, I managed to catch the feel for what appears to have been a great event.

Last edited by clusteruk on 31-Oct-2010 at 11:27 AM.

number6 
Posted on 1-Nov-2010 1:39:01
#337 ]
Elite Member

@thread

AmiWest A/V starting to arrive now.

Dickinson, Hermans at Amiwest Show 2010 video

(A/V section added to post #1 of this thread)

Last edited by number6 on 01-Nov-2010 at 01:42 AM.

mailman 
Posted on 1-Nov-2010 7:19:02
#338 ]

@Dirk-B

Well, I think that it could have been in some way connected with the speech of Ben Hermans. Listening to him for the first time I also thought that he was talking about the third revision of the board while he meant the third version of the case into which the board will be put into. But later on he clearly stated about the second revision of the board being put into production,.

Last edited by mailman on 01-Nov-2010 at 07:21 AM.

Shufflepuck 
Posted on 1-Nov-2010 15:56:54
#339 ]
Cult Member

@number6

Ben should appear in public and speaks more to the community, I just saw the entire video and I really enjoyed his speech and presentation. Thanks!

number6 
Posted on 1-Nov-2010 22:50:37
#340 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Very attractive looking AmiWest 2010 report from Dragster:

http://obligement.free.fr/articles_traduction/amiwest2010_en.php

Nice work!

Source

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle