Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 76 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 zipper:  7 mins ago
 OlafS25:  10 mins ago
 pixie:  29 mins ago
 Gunnar:  34 mins ago
 OldFart:  45 mins ago
 saleliterary:  47 mins ago
 prawnplop:  52 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  56 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 chloeneelson:  1 hr 55 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  Status Update on OS4 TIMBERWOLF?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
realize 
Status Update on OS4 TIMBERWOLF?
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 11:04:07
#1 ]

Now that Amiwest is over, can we have some sort of update on the Timberwolf project please?

Last edited by _Steve_ on 27-Oct-2010 at 09:52 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
drHirudo 
Re: Status Update on OS4 TIMBERWOLF!
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 11:46:26
#2 ]

@realize

Who cares about Timberwolf, when OWB is so cool nowadays? I can hardly turn OWB off and go to work. Recently I have been late to work up to 55 minutes thanks to my addiction to OWB. I can hardly say this about Timberwolf or even Safari and Firefox.

Nowadays, the Browser market is saturated. OWB, TimberWolf, NetSurf, IBrowse. I use all them, when they do the job for me. Of course with OWB I don't use the others any more. If I need to watch YouTube Video, I download them to my hard drive and use MPlayer. Timberwolf is just a proof of concept to me, nothing more.

Edited typos.

Last edited by drHirudo on 26-Oct-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Last edited by drHirudo on 26-Oct-2010 at 11:51 AM.

Fairdinkem 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 11:48:01
#3 ]
Cult Member

@realize

Agreed!

I realize the boys at hyperion are busy but a status update on the forums or at least the bounty site would be nice, and really wouldn't take that much time. Hey typing this has taken less than 10 minutes which I think they could afford

Akiko 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 11:51:52
#4 ]
Cult Member

@drHirudo

You do realise OWB on OS4 has ceased delevopment?

CD32/ FMV Module

drHirudo 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 11:58:07
#5 ]

@Akiko

6.AmigaOS41:> version SYS:Utilities/OWB/OWB FULL
OWB 3.29 (19.06.2010)
OrigynWebBrowser Pukapuka SVN-r1466 built by Joerg Strohmayer
6.AmigaOS41:>

4 months in AmigaOS timeline? It's nothing. For me OWB did not ceased development. Actually, the OWB version is more recent than Timberwolf. I use OWB (Orygin Web Browser) 3.29 - from 19-June-2010. That version is more recent than Timberwolf. I use it to post this message now. I hope they update Timberwolf, but until now Timberwolf is just a proof of concept (we can do it too) - nothing more.

Last edited by drHirudo on 26-Oct-2010 at 12:01 PM.

bitman 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 12:00:59
#6 ]
Cult Member

FireFox 4, is released in less than a month. IIRC TimberWolf is being updated to 4.0 so don't expect anything before FF4.0 is out - just a guess.

Fairdinkem 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 12:04:02
#7 ]
Cult Member

@drHirudo

Quote:

drHirudo wrote:
@realize

Who cares about Timberwolf, when OWB is so cool nowadays? I can hardly turn OWB off and go to work. Recently I have been late to work up to 55 minutes thanks to my addiction to OWB. I can hardly say this about Timberwolf or even Safari and Firefox.

Nowadays, the Browser market is saturated. OWB, TimberWolf, NetSutf, IBrowse. I use all them, when they do the job for me. Of course with OWB I dpn't use the others any more. If I need to watch YouTube Video, I download them to my hard drive and use MPlayer. Timberwolf is just a proof of concept to me, nothing more.

Really?

OWB on AmigaOS4.1 does my head in..... Sorry i'm not intending to sound ungrateful for the effort that has gone into OWB to provide AmigaOS4.x with a CSS HTML5 capable browser, where would we be without OWB? and Netsurf is okay but has it's issues.

Realistically you have to be honest, OWB on AmigaOS4.x is soooooooo behind the times and practically featureless. AmigaOS has always been known for it's user friendly and customizable GUI and yet OWB on AmigaOSS4.x has no quick launch bar no download manager with a progress bar and practically no customizable preferences or menu to speak of. Man I could go on and on but I don't want to start a flame war or argument over this. I'm glad you like OWB but development of it seems to be stalled in comparison to OWB on MorphOS, which I also use and it is light years ahead of AmigaOS4.x version in terms of usability/Customisation and features.

AmigaOS4.x needs to move on and into the future when it comes to web-surfing, and Timberwolf is the answer. Hyperion need to be applauded for taking on this bounty and encouraged to see it to completion.

drHirudo 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 12:11:13
#8 ]

@Fairdinkem

My experiense shows that sites which don't open correctly on latest Safari on MacOS, open fine with OWB on AmigaOS. End of... OWB is the best browser on AmigaOS to date. I hope Timberwolf reaches its state, but as seen, Hyperions devs are looking somewhere else (classic?).

Rudei 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 12:19:03
#9 ]
Elite Member

@drHirudo

Quote:
For me OWB did not ceased development.

Er yeah - but for everyone else it did! There have been no recent updates and from what I hear there won't be any further.

Regards,
Rude!

Fairdinkem 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 12:27:45
#10 ]
Cult Member

@drHirudo

Quote:

drHirudo wrote:
@Fairdinkem

I hope Timberwolf reaches its state, but as seen, Hyperions devs are looking somewhere else (classic?).

What do you mean looking elsewhere and for what? Do you have information and sources to back these claims?

The only information I have seen from Hyperion hence this thread, is they took on the bounty released an Alpha of Timberwolf, and have posted a few milestones on the bounty site. So the question that begs an answer, why would they cease or have reason to cease development?

Quote:

drHirudo wrote:
@Fairdinkem
My experiense shows that sites which don't open correctly on latest Safari on MacOS, open fine with OWB on AmigaOS.

Far be it for me to question your experiences so I won't but I do wonder why you are having these problems with safari?

I use Safari and Firefox both of which are current and up to date on my PC running Windows 7 and they both load/render pages perfectly. But I guess I don't visit all the pages you do.

Varthall 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 12:30:05
#11 ]

My vote goes to Timberwolf. The wide available choice of plugins alone makes me to prefer it over OWB. I miss in OWB things like an integrated bookmark manager, fast link buttons, cookies and proxies management and the ability to switch on and off Javascript.

Varthall

freeaks 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 12:34:54
#12 ]

@realize

why do you care, you don't even have a copy of os4.. what use is an os4 program for you without os4 itself ?
are you asking because you might be interested in purchasing os4 ?
in that case,
give the devs some room. things are moving forward already.
i don't think rebol would have been ported by carl sassenrath if he thought amigaos was a stand still or worse. imho he must have got some insider information, showing things are taking a good turn. otherwise he wouldn't have bothered..
hardware is available now (sam440), new hardware also coming (x1000 / sam460)
there's few ambitious projects in progress like timberwolf but also multicore support, pci-express, usb2 etc .... things are coming along, give them some more time. i'm sure some news will *continue* to come.
and we're approaching the end of the year .. yes xmas .. maybe another opportunity for more good news.

timberwolf got so far as alpha version, update will follow..

Last edited by freeaks on 26-Oct-2010 at 12:36 PM.

bitman 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 12:39:26
#13 ]
Cult Member

from tFrieden, Posted on: 2010/7/30 7:24:07 in TimberWolf Forum at Amigans.net:

"A new alpha will still take some time. We are currently updating the source code to the Firefox 4.0 beta 1 code. The jump in the major version number means a lot of adaption work going on, since a lot of the internal structure has changed, subsystems have been completely replaced by others etc.

Add to that that we're both busy with the x1000 development, so we don't have a lot of spare time to do Timberwolf. Progress will be slow for a while. "

Fairdinkem 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 12:50:42
#14 ]
Cult Member

@bitman

Quote:

bitman wrote:
from tFrieden, Posted on: 2010/7/30 7:24:07 in TimberWolf Forum at Amigans.net:

"A new alpha will still take some time. We are currently updating the source code to the Firefox 4.0 beta 1 code. The jump in the major version number means a lot of adaption work going on, since a lot of the internal structure has changed, subsystems have been completely replaced by others etc.

Add to that that we're both busy with the x1000 development, so we don't have a lot of spare time to do Timberwolf. Progress will be slow for a while. "

Thanks for that bitman very good news.

Jupp3 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 13:34:33
#15 ]

@drHirudo

Quote:
4 months in AmigaOS timeline? It's nothing. For me OWB did not ceased development.

The author has said that he never intended to build a complete web browser over OWB (like fab did) and doing so would be mad.

He also pointed out that If Alfkil gets QtWebKit working without problems and can build Arora with it you'll get a (simple) web browser and using something like OWB instead isn't required any more. (as you can use Arora on AmiCygnix instead)

So to me it sounds like, if more features are wanted, someone else would have to do them.

Personally, I do very much like the idea of having an "own browser with own native GUI", even if page rendering is based on "also used everywhere else" open source code (which is of course good option). Maybe some day OS4 version will find its way into capable hands of a new developer, and reach the same usability level as MorphOS version.

Of course current version is MUCH better and nothing, and according to many comments I have read, also better than current public TimberWolf beta.

Fransexy 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 13:39:17
#16 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

This is SIMPLE question:

Quote:
some sort of update on the Timberwolf project?

This is a flamefest useless answer:

Quote:
Who cares about Timberwolf, when OWB is so cool nowadays? I can hardly turn OWB off and go to work. Recently I have been late to work up to 55 minutes thanks to my addiction to OWB. I can hardly say this about Timberwolf or even Safari and Firefox. Nowadays, the Browser market is saturated. OWB, TimberWolf, NetSurf, IBrowse. I use all them, when they do the job for me. Of course with OWB I don't use the others any more. If I need to watch YouTube Video, I download them to my hard drive and use MPlayer. Timberwolf is just a proof of concept to me, nothing more.

And this is the right answer to a simple question

Quote:
from tFrieden, Posted on: 2010/7/30 7:24:07 in TimberWolf Forum at Amigans.net: "A new alpha will still take some time. We are currently updating the source code to the Firefox 4.0 beta 1 code. The jump in the major version number means a lot of adaption work going on, since a lot of the internal structure has changed, subsystems have been completely replaced by others etc. Add to that that we're both busy with the x1000 development, so we don't have a lot of spare time to do Timberwolf. Progress will be slow for a while. "

A SESAME STREET LIKE EXPLANATION FOR TROLLS

djrikki 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 14:21:08
#17 ]
Elite Member

Last I read on the Mozilla site is that FF4.0 was supposed to have been released on 18th October, but I think they are little behind. Of course this doesn't directly stop the Friedens making some progress in the general direction. Timberwolf on AmigaOS will be very welcome to me as a future Amiga X1000 owner.

In fact it winds me up when I read such a pathetically named thread title.

Last edited by djrikki on 26-Oct-2010 at 02:21 PM.

Kronos 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 14:22:55
#18 ]
Elite Member

@Rudei

Quote:

Rudei wrote:

Er yeah - but for everyone else it did! There have been no recent updates and from what I hear there won't be any further.

Regards,
Rude!

Don't confuse OWB with WebKit. OWB has ceased, WebKit goes on (used in Safari and others). Intregrating a current WebKit into an old OWB might be problematic, but than we have Fab claiming that the MorphOS-OWB is pretty much a sperate WebKit-browser with very few OWB-leftovers these days.

Rudei 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 14:43:03
#19 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

Thanks for the clarification Kronos, I was mixing the two.

Regards,
Rude!

Leo 
Posted on 26-Oct-2010 14:52:36
#20 ]

Could you add a question mark "?" to the subject ?

It makes it sound like there has been a status update... although there hasn't been any...

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle