Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
21 crawler(s) on-line.
 127 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

DiscreetFX

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  40 secs ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 16 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 54 mins ago
 billt:  3 hrs 2 mins ago
 amigang:  3 hrs 13 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  3 hrs 15 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 39 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 45 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 53 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Its there C-USA will sell A1000 A2000 A3000..under Workbench 5.0
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 )
PosterThread
clusteruk 
Re: Its there C-USA will sell A1000 A2000 A3000..under Workbench 5.0
Posted on 17-Dec-2010 9:22:02
#261 ]

I believe that whilst C=USA make numerous mistakes along the way, they do at least appear to be attempting to do what most of us want by re-launching the Amiga brand. Whether they do it the way we all want is unlikely as we all want different things. I do not want Linux with a Workbench styled GUI, but this will keep the brand hunters happy.

In the long term, as long as they ensure their hardware will fully support Aros then I will be happy, ie NVidia based. I have to say the cases they are talking about are very nice but the motherboard choice is crucial.

All in all I hope they live up to the hype and that I can buy a new good looking Amiga in a store at a good price and run Aros on it. However, please note that there are already great Aros machines like Pascals Ares and the iMica for those that want Aros.

Oh, and whilst it does have bugs, I believe the new C=USA site is a major improvement.

Last edited by clusteruk on 17-Dec-2010 at 09:22 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
gerograph 
Posted on 17-Dec-2010 10:11:16
#262 ]
Cult Member

@clusteruk

Well, said Steve. Even though this is not what most of the people want here (incl. me), but give CUSA a rest. They want to earn money with Commodore/Amiga Name. And honestly wether they have us "Hardcore" Amigans (some of them donnot even accept AROS as an Amiga...) on their side or not does not really matter. If they earn money, they can do without us... you have to take a big investment for that, and I am exiting wether managment can handle that and will deliver products ?

Anyway, I even think they can do without us, they still got a website with very Amiga related stuff on it like AROS sections etc..... honestly, even they donnot need us, they still try to get us in. I appreciate that !

I am just wondering howcome that A-Eon is allowed to use AMIGA Name and CUSA is as well ? Does this mean A-Eon is not allowed to do AIO Computers ? Guess this will lead to another legal issue.

Did Cloanto state their point of view somewhere ? I still belive, Cloanto is heavily involved into this.

greetings Gerograph

www.geomarketing-consultant.de

DAX 
Posted on 17-Dec-2010 10:50:41
#263 ]
Elite Member

My Take: what they have in store is for nobody.

1)PC Crowd: a mounstrous sea full of sharks. Too accustomed to pay peanuts (any less and THEY will get payed to get a a PC) and this stuff will be too expensive to justify the cash in such world where you get monster performance for pocket change.

2)Linux: same as above.

3)Amiga Crowd: Take a look at AW first page Poll result, it speaks way louder than any word printed in this thread (just a recap: NOBODY is interested).

At least from the same poll we can clearly see hardcore Amigans are mostly interested in Natami or X1000.

linnar 
Posted on 17-Dec-2010 10:54:49
#264 ]
Cult Member

I think the Hyperion license to the Amiga name in PPC and Commodore permission for x86. I just think that is.

So we will get two Amiga markets, x86 and PPC. Both will benefit from each other. Mostly, I think that PPC will benefit from this. My thought is that the x86 will have the new Amiga users to stream to. Users who have never or not for a long time used the Amiga. Once they are "inside the heat" so they will over time also find Amiga PPC. Some of those who chose Amiga x86 will migrate to the Amiga PPC. In this sense the Commodore to help Hyperion to more customers, more income and more stable to be for Amiga PPC.

So should Amiga PPC people support the Commodore!

Rob 
Posted on 17-Dec-2010 16:36:06
#265 ]
Elite Member

@linnar

Quote:
I think the Hyperion license to the Amiga name in PPC and Commodore permission for x86. I just think that is.

The licenses have nothing to do with CPU architecture. Hyperion have exclusive right to the use of the following brand names; "Amiga OS", "AmigaOS", "Amiga One" and "AmigaONE". they also have a non-exclusive right to use the boing ball logo. They can also sub license all these marks, hence a non-Hyperion board being called the AmigaONE X1000.

There is nothing to stop Commodore USA selling PPC computers with the Amiga name and nothing to stop Hyperion applying their marks to X86 hardware and software.

Quote:
My thought is that the x86 will have the new Amiga users to stream to. Users who have never or not for a long time used the Amiga. Once they are "inside the heat" so they will over time also find Amiga PPC. Some of those who chose Amiga x86 will migrate to the Amiga PPC. In this sense the Commodore to help Hyperion to more customers, more income and more stable to be for Amiga PPC.

I'm not sure how Commodore's Amiga branded X86 computer can benefit Amiga OS4 or MorphOS and to be honest I can't see them making any headway in the X86 market I expect the new C64 will be a flop.

Edit

Corrected error pointed out by terminills in post 267.

Last edited by Rob on 17-Dec-2010 at 08:07 PM.

gerograph 
Posted on 17-Dec-2010 19:14:04
#266 ]
Cult Member

@Rob and linnar
This means, no boingballs on CUSA Computers ? How can you licence AMIGA and AMIGA ONE ? In my opinion this is trademarkwise the same. This is like Playstation could be a just a cheap chinese Playconsole and Playstation three the real thing ?

www.geomarketing-consultant.de

terminills 
Posted on 17-Dec-2010 19:39:35
#267 ]
AROS Core Developer

@Rob

Quick correction the boingball is nonexclusive. =]

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

linnar 
Posted on 17-Dec-2010 19:48:21
#268 ]
Cult Member

@gerograph

Name rights are governed by strange rules and regulations. It is not easy to understand. Moreover, the rules and laws vary by country.

persia 
Posted on 17-Dec-2010 21:13:29
#269 ]

@linnar

The Amiga trademark belongs to Amiga Inc, only they've just licensed it to C=USA, so there is no way Hyperion could use it.

C=USA is trying to reach a specific part of the market, aging baby boomers. People who vaguely remember the Commodore and Amiga names but aren't interested in going back there. The might find the PC 64 kind of cute. And the video market. Google TV and Apple TV do not yet have the market penetration to squeeze out a new player. There's also XBox , PS3 and Wii of course, so it'll be a tight squeeze. But they are not too late for the party. Not yet. The Aumro cases are cute. I give C=USA a 50% change of still being here in two years time.

pixie 
Posted on 18-Dec-2010 1:10:56
#270 ]
Elite Member

Boring...

So we have Hyperion grabbing Commodore by the sack, hilarious... With time eventually they'll cease to be any kind of threat and a that time AROS can then thrive as Workbench without any kind of artificial maneuvers.

linnar 
Posted on 18-Dec-2010 1:37:10
#271 ]
Cult Member

@persia

Quote:

persia wrote:
@linnar

The Amiga trademark belongs to Amiga Inc, only they've just licensed it to C=USA, so there is no way Hyperion could use it.

C=USA is trying to reach a specific part of the market, aging baby boomers. People who vaguely remember the Commodore and Amiga names but aren't interested in going back there. The might find the PC 64 kind of cute. And the video market. Google TV and Apple TV do not yet have the market penetration to squeeze out a new player. There's also XBox , PS3 and Wii of course, so it'll be a tight squeeze. But they are not too late for the party. Not yet. The Aumro cases are cute. I give C=USA a 50% change of still being here in two years time.

OK!

Dandy 
Posted on 18-Dec-2010 9:17:09
#272 ]
Elite Member

@Arko

Quote:

Arko wrote:
@TheDaddy

This part is interesting:

Quote:

Opposer has no priority of right to the word “Amiga.” As discussed in the preceeding section, Opposer’s registrations are invalid and should therefore be cancelled

Opposer is Amiga Inc. this could explain how C=USA got the rights, they must have been very cheap.

How can AInc. sell invalidly registered rights at all - to whomever?
Will C=USA now sue AInc for being frauded by being sold rights they didn't have?

Dandy

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle