Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
25 crawler(s) on-line.
 112 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 NutsAboutAmiga:  18 mins ago
 matthey:  19 mins ago
 ktadd:  47 mins ago
 amigakit:  56 mins ago
 kriz:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 kiFla:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 17 mins ago
 Hypex:  2 hrs 18 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Alt Amiga OS
      /  [Poll] Should CUSA posts and promotions be allowed at AW.net now and in the future?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
Poll : What do you think we should do with CUSA posts?
Let them be all the time .... CUSA has Amiga name, I like it and other reasons
It should be discussed after the product is realised
It shouldn`t be promoted at all at AW.net
Every user that promotes it against other Amigas should get abuse points

PosterThread
BillE 
Re: [Poll] Should CUSA posts and promotions be allowed at AW.net now and in the future?
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 14:44:30
#141 ]

@damocles

I hope they do not advertise in the UK, as advertising something as being what it isn't would be illegal here and I would immediately be reporting them to the ASA.

No matter how much they go on about owning a name, their products are not Amigas nor even related to them, but PCs. False advertising may be OK in the USA but not in civilised countries.

As they do not produce anything remotely like an Amiga, they could not advertise as being able to supply one.

Profile     Report this post  
WolfToTheMoon 
Re: [Poll] Should CUSA posts and promotions be allowed at AW.net now and in the future?
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 14:48:43
#142 ]

@BillE

Have you reported BMW for false "Mini" advertising yet?

Quote:
No matter how much they go on about owning a name, their products are not Amigas nor even related to them, but PCs

Earth calling BillE - Amiga is a PC!

Quote:
As they do not produce anything remotely like an Amiga, they could not advertise as being able to supply one.

Since the legal owners of the trademark acknowledge their products as Amigas, they are Amigas by law.

DAX 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 14:50:39
#143 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon
Misleading to say the least.
The guy had no decision making power there, it is well known that all he talks about turned to be the Hombre project, some engineers wanted it to be the next amiga but mangement decided otherwise (with no arguing about it).

Quote:
One of the controversies surrounding Commodore during 1993 and 1994 was the decision NOT to run the Amiga OS. Dave Haynie has stated that the only software that existed for the chip were a library of routines, as well as a 3D package that would most likely be licensed. Whilst an AmigaOS port was favoured by those in the design team it was not under consideration by management. This decision may have been based on the fact that, at the time Commodore was losing money fast, so a machine had to be finished soon to stay alive. Hombre was a clean break (with Amiga) supporting none of the existing modes. It supported 16 and 24-bit true colour modes.

More infos here:
http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/haynie3drisc.html

There is a last inerview from Haynie where he spills all the details: simply put Hobre was chipset incompatible and the decision was taken not to create ANY kind of Amiga OS for it.
This is the last word in the most recent interview that was done way after what you linked.
I have to go now but I'll find the link and post it when I have the time.

T-J 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 14:54:46
#144 ]
Cult Member

@DAX

Some sort of games console, then? Its just as well for us that Commode did go bust in '94, then. I suppose they might have stumbled on selling these games consoles for a while, before being destroyed by Sony or Nintendo eventually. But really, no AmigaOS + no exclusive games = no sales.

That's just as true in 2011 as in 1994, too.

Karlos 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 14:57:38
#145 ]
Elite Member
From: As-sassin-aaate! As-sassin-aaate! Ooh! We forgot the ammunition!

/me views poll results.

Wow, the angry mob has spoken.

As little as a I care about CUSA, the attitudes expressed in the poll is rather disappointing. Of course, the poll itself is heavily weighted, with three negative options and one positive one (and no neutral), but given that the lion's share of the vote is in the two most negative options I have to wonder why people are so pro-censorship. Preventing people discussing or even raving about it isn't going to make it go away.

damocles 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 15:15:44
#146 ]

@BillE

Quote:
I hope they do not advertise in the UK, as advertising something as being what it isn't would be illegal here and I would immediately be reporting them to the ASA. No matter how much they go on about owning a name, their products are not Amigas nor even related to them, but PCs. False advertising may be OK in the USA but not in civilised countries. As they do not produce anything remotely like an Amiga, they could not advertise as being able to supply one.

Good luck with that.

damocles 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 15:23:07
#147 ]

@Karlos

Quote:
As little as a I care about CUSA, the attitudes expressed in the poll is rather disappointing. Of course, the poll itself is heavily weighted, with three negative options and one positive one (and no neutral), but given that the lion's share of the vote is in the two most negative options I have to wonder why people are so pro-censorship. Preventing people discussing or even raving about it isn't going to make it go away.

Clearly it shows Vox is unhinged with object fear over C=USA entering into the computer market with strong name recognition of, "C=" (and to a lesser degree, "Amiga:=". Keep the popcorn in stock, I'm sure Vox and others will go off the deep end once the commercials hit on US national networks.

vox 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 16:06:33
#148 ]
Elite Member

@terminills

I cant really go over it. Classic lovers are bashed, PPC is ignored and or bashed with no feedback in terms "don`t do it, lets think of Ubuntu". By owners and admins

http://www.commodore-amiga.org/en/forum/6-workbench-5-software-development-/1254-just-another-stupid-linux-distribution

Nimrod 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 16:35:02
#149 ]

@Karlos

Quote:

I have to wonder why people are so pro-censorship. Preventing people discussing or even raving about it isn't going to make it go away.

It's not so much that people are pro-censorship, as that what is being discussed is irrelevant.
If CommodeUSA can promote their particular brand of x86PC then where does it end. Dell, HP, Acer, all have as much in common with the original A1000 as Leo's offering except that they actually exist outside of a concept mockup.

number6 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 16:39:19
#150 ]
Elite Member

@Karlos

Quote:
Wow, the angry mob has spoken.

poll on "which" forums, if any to use

280 expressed their view on which forum(s) to use and only 15 voted "some other option", which would equate to the negative choices in the current poll.
So...you could argue one poll result is the polar opposite of the other.

vox 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 16:45:05
#151 ]
Elite Member

@ruben
@CUSA fanboys
@Aussie
@CUSA website owners and moderators

To be exact just cases are similar, not replicas. Replica means perfection,
and replica of A1200 - a real A1200 is on sale on Amikit.

We will see how good cases are after test of users, still vapor for public use.
How much people see on dinners I dunno.

If you wish a CUSA disaster scenario:

No real market or very small interest can be the answer.

- 200 Amiga Zealots here don`t want it (even ~50 are tolerant and might be interested in info about it, it still doesn`t mean they will buy it. Some of the CUSA fanboys might get it for merits freely)

- Amiga Classic lovers already use WinUAE, Amikit, Amithlon, AresOne ... there is more I am sure and don`t need CommodoOS5. Case they might be able to buy separately and then they can put their fav machine in it, or components they like it.

-Linux lovers don`t like modded Linux

-AROS users cant use AROS on it, or already can on their own PC

-Windows users don`t get Windows by default on it

-Beside case it has really nothing unique and even beside x64 Amiga cases don`t resemble coressponding Classic models at all

-I assume price will be higher than equal PC system. Tech lovers might get more numbers on their own

-Zillion of richer PC brands can get more exlusive product which will be boom

-Apple might realise some new Mac in 2011/2012 that would be competative since they use same cheap PC components now but good design, better OS feel then CommodoOS 11

- Some users might be dissapointed even when they buy it

Will you provide long term support for your Linux?
How good will be the Linuxbench, CommodoOS (I am sorry I cant say the magic words for it) compared to other Linux distro and Windows? People usualy buy the box, if you don`t supply Windows as standard they will judge you by Commodo.

- Some people might really expect something more by your glorious PR that hides reality, get dissapointed and never again buy your product, spread their experience. Same goes for magazines and many sites and persons that will judge it, not only the AW.net

-Use of Workbench, Kicstart and other files under this "if they don`t sue us its OK even we don`t have it on paper" might bring someone to sue company even if it goes well

I am not just simply badminded, a realistic company would work on these kind of details and do a SWOT analysis, and do much better and professional. Serbia is one of few countries that applies very few EU standards, but I know a way higher professional companies from Serbia by PR, production, service, repair, website, staff list any detail. Even Linux customization.

You could have Amiga community as newspreader, those who would praise you as saviour with just better diplomacy.

vox 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 16:48:49
#152 ]
Elite Member

@terminills

Quote:

Ummm maybe you haven't actually read my site... but it's well known that Workbench 5 is Linux.

On the website. But will people that will go to stores to buy their new Amiga 4000 know that by no Linux mentioning in name, on the main CUSA website ...?

Quote:

And hyperion didn't write 3.1

No, CBM did it, and in reality it was quite minor update. But it was base for OS 4.x transition.

Quote:

Don't worry tho I don't consider 3.5 or 3.9 genuine either. Amiga OS died with commodore anything after that is just a shell.

Continuation of OS.
Don`t worry after this kind of words, who would consider CUSA a Commodore continuation?

AmigaOS is still in development, you might be some kind of Zombiefied Classics
of Classic Zombies on new cheating level of even PC users with new nothing

This will in the future bring abuse points by the way its going. Bashing other real Amigas )))

vox 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 16:50:28
#153 ]
Elite Member

@klx300r

Vote post everytime allthe time, it`s not about WHERE
but AT ALL

vox 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 16:52:24
#154 ]
Elite Member

@minator

Quote:

minator wrote:
I voted 1.

Some people have been begging for an x86 port and a more modern OS for years. If CUSA can give that to them, why not?

Right of member, but that is exactly what CUSA will not give them now,
and silently promise them (no public promise) if they win first couple years.

But that is on extreme stick, given the rights of Hyperion by settlement,
AMIGA OS 5.0 PPC (or x86) MIGHT BE OUT BEFORE )))

vox 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 16:54:22
#155 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

Quote:

damocles wrote:
@DAX

Quote:
Cusa's stuff is 100% vapor at the moment with no-one ever seeing anything than it's not a rendering or stock photo of a third party case.

Correction, I have as well as Redrumloa and Red's friend (forgot his nick, sorry) have held the C64x in our hands as well as the Vic series.

Well, was it working or empty case?

Joke here, x64 is close to realise, but that has nothing to do with CUSA Amigas,
x86 AmigaOS or CommodoOS 5, all big promises.

That is step "lets test the big theory with Commodore 64 first"

If that blows out, I bet whole Amiga story is almost gone.

And almost all criteria of possible failure of CUSA Amiga applies to Commodore x64.

vox 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 16:56:20
#156 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:

WolfToTheMoon wrote:
@BillE

Have you reported BMW for false "Mini" advertising yet?

Quote:
No matter how much they go on about owning a name, their products are not Amigas nor even related to them, but PCs

Earth calling BillE - Amiga is a PC!

Quote:

Since the legal owners of the trademark acknowledge their products as Amigas, they are Amigas by law.

Maybe not tbis, but lets say Linux is our copyrighted OS if they don`t open the OS and let me download it?

Even in Serbia it`s cybercrime and fraud, as well as in EU.

Also, Amiga PPC is personal computer (what a stupid name, all home computers were actually much more personal and personalized)

vox 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 16:58:23
#157 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

damocles wrote:
@Karlos

Clearly it shows Vox is unhinged with object fear over C=USA entering into the computer market with strong name recognition of, "C=" (and to a lesser degree, "Amiga:=". Keep the popcorn in stock, I'm sure Vox and others will go off the deep end once the commercials hit on US national networks.

[/quote]

I ll miss the big bang and ask cable provider to cease US channels until it passes

You do really believe I am interested in all consumer products in the USA?

No, I just don`t like your styla. That`s it. You dig some wisdom in criticism,
it`s not just childish like or dislike. And if you bash PPC users, you deserve backfire

damocles 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 17:08:29
#158 ]

@vox

Quote:
Well, was it working or empty case?

There were no drives in the C64x, but the full mobo/keyboard (OMG is that keyboard expensive to make!) and case. Redrumloa should have pics of all c64x and Vics online this weekend. Pity we can't mention company names, the company in charge of designing the plastic C64x case is a very well known name in Amigaland.

damocles 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 17:27:53
#159 ]

@vox

Quote:
You do really believe I am interested in all consumer products in the USA?

No, not sure why you are taking all this personally either. If you think Hyperion has the better product, by all means buy it and be happy. Simple isn't it?

Quote:
No, I just don`t like your styla. That`s it.

That's too bad for you, isn't it?

Quote:
And if you bash PPC users, you deserve backfire

You use whatever floats your boat. It's your money, you should be able to buy whatever you like that is for sale. Do you honestly think I give rat's rear end on what you buy and use? If you want to shell out that many EUROs for a A1X1K, more power to you! Buy ten units for all I care. I was once a PPC supporter during PIOS/Met@Box days when Haynie was crafting a quad PPC mobo. Till Jobs killed AIM alliance and the project was dumped. PPC had it's day, and today it's a sad tale of fail to evolve with the competition.

Hammer 
Posted on 5-Feb-2011 20:45:33
#160 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:
Well that will not be an AmigaOS advancement, just another Linux distro, and yet uknown which since they changed the opinion several times.

TripOS legacy is removed from EXEC during PPC transition (OS 4.x)

However, I undersand what are you saying and yes, I can see that Linux has many drivers and its Kernel is quite nice in terms of not consuming many resources and ability to be optimized for exact individual systems/CPUs. I like this approach much more then Windows. However, there will be no AmigaOS legacy, not even TripOS in that. So I don`t see AmigaOS is now really lightyears back (as OS 3.x would be when compared to anything contemporary) but that we are getting new modern staff feature by feature. Driver model exists for OS 4.x too. So, we are just few steps from going higher e.g. better mem allocation, defragmentation, protection of OS (Gream reaper kills the app not the OS) and swap are already here. If it was push to modernize AmigaOS towards Linux model but by using AmigaOS, and not just modding Linux (Like mentioned Android or MacOS X are patially Linux based) it would be really nice and I would be among first to buy it.

MacOS X is not based on Linux i.e. MacOS X uses the Darwin kernel. "Darwin is built around XNU(1), a hybrid kernel that combines the Mach 3 microkernel, various elements of BSD".

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XNU

Darwin was released before Linux (1991). "Darwin's heritage began with NeXT's NeXTSTEP operating system (later known as OPENSTEP), first released in 1989".

Last edited by Hammer on 05-Feb-2011 at 08:47 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle