Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 120 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 outlawal2:  12 mins ago
 kiFla:  58 mins ago
 kriz:  1 hr 1 min ago
 pixie:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 retrofaza:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 vox:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 8 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 36 mins ago
 Maijestro:  3 hrs 49 mins ago
 Hypex:  3 hrs 50 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Developers!!! ,Developers!!!, Developers!!!, Developers!!!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
FuZion 
Re: Developers!!! ,Developers!!!, Developers!!!, Developers!!!
Posted on 20-Feb-2004 8:39:47
#21 ]

I would seriously like to get an idea (Clone) of a game using GL on the go.

I simply have no experience coding so if anyone out there can code, do 2D vectors using GL (I guess that's 3D really without the Z axis) & doesn't mind whips Then this game has the makings of being horribly addictive for all (As it should be a network game too).

FuZion.

I have other ideas too, mostly dockies I think but it's all floating around in my head. None of those are on paper.

Profile     Report this post  
Bean 
Posted on 20-Feb-2004 9:48:42
#22 ]

@choochy,

Yep, I plan to get into some development work.

In fact I did compile a cut down Hello World program on OS4 at the ANT show, it was "Hello World" without the "World" bit. "Hello.c" you might say!!

But seriously, I just wanted to see if the c compiler was in place. I stopped developing anything on my Classic Amiga because of compilation times. I'll be getting back into things when I get my beta copy of OS4.

Cheers,

Bean.

HMK 
Posted on 20-Feb-2004 9:56:31
#23 ]

@doctorb

Quote:
Actually Amiga Inc. desperately needs a person like Steve Ballmer...

Heck no... I wouldn't want a guy who constantly compares his own products to 5 year old competitor products and calls his own superior.

I'd rather see a guy like Steve Jobs there. He may live in a reality distortion field where everything is rosy red, but he sure knows how to sell things. There's gotta be a reason why Apple can keep almost 5 billion $ in the bank.

Geomol 
Posted on 20-Feb-2004 10:25:33
#24 ]

@choochy

I would love to develop more for the Amiga again. I got lots of ideas and interests, so let's see, what I'll come up with.

John.

miksuh 
Posted on 20-Feb-2004 10:46:17
#25 ]
Cult Member

@choochy

I am.

As soon as I have enough money to buy AmigaOne+OS4 I'll start developing for the OS4.

I'm not going to say much now simply because my free time is quite limited right now. I try to graduate by end of next year, and I still need to find a job from some local IT-company, possibly Nokia, where I could make my scholary thesis. So I can't say exactly when I can start developing for the OS4.

I'm currently writing my own TV-application with MUI-GUI for the Mediator, it will be like SuperTV. I'm planning to add a module support for it and if eg. AmithlonTV tv-drivers is ported to OS4 I'm interested to make my TV-application work under OS4 too.

I have also second project. I have some ideas about an missign application, It's really something which does not exist for the Amiga yet. All I'm going to say is that it's related to SQL. (Thanks for the SixK for porting the MySQL) I have planned it a lot already, and I already do have a simple working version of it. But it really is just a wery early start. It might be ready for the release someday or not, depending on my free time. Not in the near future anyway.

Rogue 
Posted on 20-Feb-2004 11:10:23
#26 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@DrBombcrater

Quote:
Driving a modern graphics card is about more than just putting up a desktop. What about 3D? Or the MPEG decoder? Or the video de-interlacer, video-shaders, and the rest of the 9800's functionality. Since you've said the best card OS4 will support in 3D is a Radeon 7500, I think my comment is quite accurate - it's an old, slow card you'd find the bargain bin.

Leaving out 3D, SNAP will support the features you mentioned. As to 3D, it's all the same old question.

However, your comment about the "bargain bin" is clearly wrong since many retailers still have the card in stock (new, of course) from diverse companies (in stock, too).

Quote:
for a possibly buggy motherboard

I'm not going to comment on that again.

MagicSN 
Posted on 20-Feb-2004 11:25:28
#27 ]
Hyperion

@choochy

>and what type of apps/games are you writing?

Well, asides from my work for Hyperion Entertainment I am already porting
some popular Emulators (MAME, SNES9x, tgemu...) to OS 4. Some months ago I also
started to do some work on a Stratagus (Warcraft 2 Clone) port, though I did not do
any work on this since December. The Emulators are already playable, though
(MAME is probably the one most progressed... bases on 0.77.1 Sources).

Note: Neither UAE nor a C64 Emulator is among the stuff I work on porting.
So those are still "to-do-by-someone" :)

Steffen

Anonymous 
Posted on 20-Feb-2004 11:30:22
# ]

@Rogue

"However, your comment about the "bargain bin" is clearly wrong since many retailers still have the card in stock (new, of course) from diverse companies (in stock, too)."

That is totally depending on where you live. It might be common in some countries but certainly not everywhere. Ebay and/or ordering from abroad isn't for everyone.

I had serious problems already in the end of 2002 to get a 7500. I ordered it from 5-6 different retailers and every single one of them got back to me saying it was discontinued from their assortments. So I ended up with a 7000 card and a 9000 card.

Atleast here there is no market for any 7xxx series card except the 7000. People who just want a low end card for their servers or whatever gets a 7000 card. Everyone else has the full price range available with some of the 8xxx cards and the 9xxx cards.

/Björn

Report this post  
shadow 
Posted on 20-Feb-2004 11:51:48
#29 ]

@choochy

Quote:

Just a quick question, how many of us are going to start developing when the pre-release with dev tools is released?

I am gonna start.

Quote:

and what type of apps/games are you writing?

I will port GLMatrix and some of the other screensavers in xscreensaver. Maybe with one unified gui for selecting screensaver and options.

asrael22 
Posted on 20-Feb-2004 11:58:27
#30 ]

@choochy

I definitely would do some porting stuff if I have OS4 and if I have the time to.
Maybe I can do some smaller tools with or without GUI.
Since I like coding in Java it would be great if jamiga is progressing not to slow. ;)
I also would like to be part of a greater development team that does a greater thing which is to big for one person. Lets see...

so long,
asrael

DrBombcrater 
Posted on 20-Feb-2004 12:05:46
#31 ]

@Rogue

Quote:
Leaving out 3D, SNAP will support the features you mentioned.

That's very good news!

Quote:
However, your comment about the "bargain bin" is clearly wrong since many retailers still have the card in stock (new, of course) from diverse companies (in stock, too).

My defenition of a 'bargain bin' product is one that's out of production (or a total turkey) and is being sold off cheaply. Retailers may still have plentiful stocks of it (it's still possible to buy brand-new TNT2s, for example) and may even be able to get more from their distributers if necessary, but it's an EOL product that sells only because it is priced so cheaply.

Quote:
I'm not going to comment on that again.

Fine, that's your choice. But let me ask you to see this issue from the perspective of a potential customer:

I've seen a lot of posts in various places from A1 owners who say their systems suffer corruption problems when running under a heavy DMA load. The stock answer, that it's just a Linux problem and won't affect OS4, would be okay - except for the fact that every report I've read from people who've seen OS4 working say it's running in PIO mode.

That's one heck of a coincidence.

Now, I'd be prepared to buy an A1 despite this if it was just a case of the south bridge being a bit dodgy. PCI IDE cards are cheap and easily bought, but if there is a problem in the ArticiaS it would affect a PCI controller as well.

I hope the AtriciaS works fine and I'm just being paranoid - but I'm not willing to spend £700 finding out. People with more money than me can do that

miksuh 
Posted on 20-Feb-2004 12:21:07
#32 ]
Cult Member

@choochy

JAmiga might be fast enough in AmigaOne too, it's a bit slow on my A1200+060

Kay 
Posted on 20-Feb-2004 14:13:16
#33 ]

Heh, since I already have received several offers for help for 2D and music, I might as well add that the project I'm working on also will need some 3D artists.

Thanks to all who have expressed an interest!

Kay

MagicSN 
Posted on 20-Feb-2004 14:23:28
#34 ]
Hyperion

@DrBombcrater

>Fine, that's your choice. But let me ask you to see this issue from the perspective

Maybe he was just tired having to say the same again and again ...

>I've seen a lot of posts in various places from A1 owners who say their systems

Well due to my experience *most* people commenting on that issue are not
A1 owners but followers of a certain other platform faking to be concerned about
the "success of the platform", while in truth they are concerned THAT the platform
might be successful which would be disaster for them :)

> suffer corruption problems when running under a heavy DMA load. The stock >answer, that it's just a Linux problem and won't affect OS4, would be okay - except >for the fact that every report I've read from people who've seen OS4 working say >it's running in PIO mode.

Implementing software always needs a certain amount of time. Especially Drivers.

And then there is this... originally "those people" claimed we would not get OS 4 running at all (and that our concept of how 68k Emulation is handled would be seriously flawed).

After that was proven wrong they claimed we would not get it running on the A1.

After that was proven wrong they claimed there'd be a serious bug in the Articia
making G4 running slower than G3 (or was this before? Cannot remember right now...).

After this was proven wrong they claim the DMA could not possibly work on the Articia. I wonder what they will claim once this is proven wrong ? But maybe they are running out of arguments then :)

Steffen

Intuitioned 
Posted on 20-Feb-2004 14:58:12
#35 ]

I don't really know how to do anything useful like a WP or media player, but I would port some useless but fascinating artifical life / genetic algorithm programs when I finish the C# versions. I might port my emulator but I am not sure if it is worth while even if it would be better than the MAME version of it. The machine I am emulating is a minority machine that would be running on an even more minority platform. If only ten people use it, it is not worth the bother.

When I say port I am not sure whether to use Java or native C++. I am not sure if I can stomach learning another GUI framework like Reaction. (There is too many widely used technologies to learn )

DrBombcrater 
Posted on 20-Feb-2004 15:07:51
#36 ]

@MagicSN

Quote:
A1 owners but followers of a certain other platform faking to be concerned about
the "success of the platform", while in truth they are concerned THAT the platform

I'm aware there are a lot of blue-coloured saboteurs lurking around, but for someone who doesn't have access to an A1 it is very hard to sort out the trolls from the people who might be reporting a genuine and rather serious problem.

The DMA thing may just be disinformation spread by those who have an interest in seeing the A1 and OS4 fail, but that makes it no less effective. The only way to counter this kind of attack is with solid proof - something that's so far been lacking.

Given the other tales of hardware problems that are floating around right now (such as the A1's non-functioning sound system) it's hard not to be discouraged by the "Trust us, or go away" attitude exhibited by both Hyperion and Eyetech.

Quote:
Implementing software always needs a certain amount of time. Especially Drivers.

I've written many of them myself, so I won't dispute that fact. I just seems strange, given the importance of silencing the DMA-problem rumours, that implementing DMA in the IDE driver seems to be taking such a long time.

From the outside this looks like either Hyperion don't give a damn and are content to leave potential customers to stew in their doubts, or the delay is down to Rogue and EntilZha frantically trying to code their way round some difficulty - like a hardware bug.

Please understand, I'm not making acusations here and I have no hidden agenda. I'm just saying "This is how it looks from where I'm sitting..."

Quote:
After this was proven wrong they claim the DMA could not possibly work on the Articia. I wonder what they will claim once this is proven wrong ? But maybe they are running out of arguments then :)

If you guys can DMA working, and thus prove the DMA problem was just a smear tactic, I'lll be the first to offer congratulations.

nzv58l 
Posted on 20-Feb-2004 15:45:15
#37 ]

@choochy

I plan too, Even though I may at this time be an amature for right now. After all I am still learning C++ and I am currently learning about virtual base classes. I am experienced in other languages that most are probably not familiar with. I have an A1 and will program as soon as I get the right OS... I like different ideas and people that can think out side of the box. Usually when someone says you can't do that I usually look at it as a challenge. I don't know if what I program will be great or not, but I am going to try. I think from the start we need some real programmer tools to help in developing software easier.

I was also thinking that it may be a good idea from the start to try and organize our resources. This thread is doing some of it, letting others know what they want to work on. It would be nice to have an area for developement where we could help each other out without stepping on each others toes.

Anonymous 
Posted on 21-Feb-2004 3:18:47
# ]

@HMK

Quote:

HMK wrote:
I'd rather see a guy like Steve Jobs there. He may live in a reality distortion field where everything is rosy red, but he sure knows how to sell things. There's gotta be a reason why Apple can keep almost 5 billion $ in the bank.

Yes you're right :)

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 21-Feb-2004 3:30:20
# ]

@MagicSN

Quote:

MagicSN wrote:

Not really. Although I'm not an A1 owner and I do (as everyone else in my company) follow a certain plaform, I also strongly believe that the success of AmigaOne will open up a new market for us, software developers.

Report this post  
soft 
Posted on 21-Feb-2004 3:44:38
#40 ]

Quote:

Yeah, It's called Microsoft. They own 49% of Apple and are only nurturing it like a voluntary parasite so that they won't be lambasted by the government for being 'anti-competitive'. Microsoft keep Apple around to give them some 'competition'.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle