Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 113 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

pixie

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  3 mins ago
 Birbo:  18 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 54 mins ago
 kriz:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 clint:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 32 mins ago
 bhabbott:  4 hrs 1 min ago
 Beajar:  5 hrs 44 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Very succinct CUSA question thoughts
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
logicalheart 
Re: Very succinct CUSA question thoughts
Posted on 26-Jun-2011 4:50:17
#21 ]
Cult Member

@Prober

You are right Prober. What's the difference between an "Amiga 1000" and "Amiga 1000"?
http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_Amiga1000.aspx

Not only are they using the same names, but are making it appear that these are "new Amigas." That is a deception and these systems are not Amigas. At best, they should be called "Amiga Mimic cases" instead. They are absolutely not "new Amigas" and it seems like one of their intentions is to make people believe these are successors to the original Amigas instead of AmigaOnes, Natami, etc. I also believe this is their intention because there are Commodore USA promoters going through the web and spreading lies about Hyperion's products while promoting the CUSA website. It happened repeatedly when I've uploaded OS4 videos to Youtube.

I don't like the VIC models, but at least they are using different names and appearance from the originals, so if their campaign was limited to that, they aren't doing anything wrong.
http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_VICPro.aspx

Profile     Report this post  
Panthro 
Posted on 26-Jun-2011 7:33:24
#22 ]

@logicalheart

true I think the only issue people have is some of the past attempts at deception (workbench5 ) but the truth is they have a fun little case + emulator solution.

I also wish them well in that.

I also believe it's another issue with them trying to pass Amiga branded generic X86
machines as genuine Amigas.

I truly hope that all of the lunacy surrounding this settles down tho.

hell if the cases were available and well made I might have even brought one for my
Winbox.

resle 
Posted on 26-Jun-2011 8:23:35
#23 ]
Cult Member

At long last, a moderate, adult thread on CUSA :)

Related/Unrelated, look what I found

http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/c64/

8 years before and just some days in the making... maybe not the cleanest of assemblies, but still beautiful. (Makes me wonder if the NatAmi board could be fitted in a classic amiga case)

Last edited by resle on 26-Jun-2011 at 08:28 AM.
Last edited by resle on 26-Jun-2011 at 08:27 AM.

vox 
Posted on 26-Jun-2011 8:34:45
#24 ]
Elite Member

@resle

Simply: I&I know what they are. Its what they pretend to be:

- Only x86 AmigaOS / AmigaOS emulation developers (untrue AROS, Amiga Forever)
- Only x86 Amiga emulation board (untrue iMica, ARES)
- Biggest Amiga company (untrue: also small)
-Most prospective Amiga company (without one year on market)
- x86 supermacism to PPC Amiga community
- Lies to AROS community of support
- Making closed source Linux modification is a sin to Linux community
- High price: they will basically rip the retro fans for their Atom based junk
- They can`t even make a Linux modification in months, top of the work was BIOS modification with Commodore picture and making $250 cases

OK?

Its they styla of communication (threats, supermacism) more then anything as well as constant change of plans and "high nose" and "high prices".

Nimrod 
Posted on 26-Jun-2011 8:39:18
#25 ]

@TrevorDick

Quote:
To be honest, IMHO the Commodore 64 branded PC is not aimed at "Amigans" but the 20-30 million people (plus their family and friends) who either owned a C64 or have fond memories of "good old days" of Retro computing.

My eldest son, at 37, barely remembers the C=64 that I once owned. His youngest brother barely remembers playing games on the 1200. As a result of this the Commodore badge on the Vic machines does not add any value to the machines, and they must compete with other resellers of AIO keyboard machines that have a familiar OS (Windoze7)installed.
As regards the C=64 reproduction machine I have my doubts as to how much profit can be milked from the retro market. I can pick up an Intel atom based machine, with Windoze7 and a 10.5" screen from Amazon for £159. compare that with £372.50 for the basic C=64 lookalike being offered.
A few quid for commodore badged mugs, t-shirts, and keyrings is all very well, but how robust will the retro market need to be in order to get people to part with £156.50 (€176.40) for an empty plastic breadbin?

Spirantho 
Posted on 26-Jun-2011 8:39:33
#26 ]

Personally they lost me the minute they started calling Ubuntu with a skin "Workbench 5".
To be fair it wasn't really CUSA who started saying Ubuntu was the next AmigaOS, that was left to some Amiga people. On the other hand, some might say that what CUSA did do was dishonest and designed to mislead, by deliberately mimicking an established product and clearly naming it to be confused with AmigaOS 4.

I don't have a problem with the C64X - it's a good idea, and if they'd actually delivered on time, they'd have done well (but I think they've missed the boat now - the publicity has died down and nobody's received one).
What I have a problem with was importing a PC case, sticking a PC in it, slapping an "Amiga 1000" badge on it and calling it an Amiga.

It's kind of like popping down to Lidl, buying some cheap caviar, and slapping a sticker saying "Beluga" on it, and hiking up the price.

No thanks, not for me.

TheDaddy 
Posted on 26-Jun-2011 9:05:59
#27 ]
Elite Member

@resle

WOW! Congratulations! Nice sneaky way to create yet another CUSA thread to which I need to reply as some people here seem to be a little forgetful or want to forget things, events, hoping that time will blow them away.

I'll quickly summarise things for you but I am sure that Darrin will have a few things to add. They are all based on hard evidence.

It is TRUE that CUSA have always said this is the new C64x and the new Amiga will come soon - FACT

It is TRUE that in order to jeopardise Hyperion's efforts and have a go at AmigaOS4 they wanted to call their "OS" Workbench 5 (which even a child can presume that since 5 is bigger than 4 then it must be better and newer - FACT

It is TRUE that they have very POOR manners and have managed to alienate a big chunk of the community - FACT

It is TRUE that they have set up a "business" quickly and roughly using other people's work without permission - FACT

It is TRUE that they have made a C64 replica

It is TRUE that their associates (fans and staff) have spammed 90% of the Internet -FACT

It is TRUE that their fans keep on bashing Trevor's A-Eon company, the A1X1000, Hyperion and so on - FACT

It is TRUE that CUSA treat people as if they were stupid or ignorant -FACT

It is TRUE that you can't compare Hyperion's/ACube's/etc developments to that of a system builder - FACT

It is TRUE that all their other systems haven't been developed by CUSA but purchased and sold on because the shape is VAGUELY reminiscent of the shape of the real Commodore Vic20 - FACT

It is TRUE that the other models they present as the 1000, 2000, 3000 and 4000 are nothing more than a common black case (available anywhere) with Intel i3, i5 and i7 inside - FACT

It is TRUE that originally CUSA claimed to have a new OS, but when pushed it came out to be a re-skinned Linux Ubuntu with added "functionality" - FACT

It is TRUE that CUSA fans (all the people who have been behind "port the OS to x86" campaign for years) would not give a dam if it's a real Amiga or not as long as the Amiga and Commodore names are on the case then it won't matter, what it matters is that the computer has the Amiga and Commodore name on, to them the OS doesn't mean anything, it IS JUST the name that counts. - FACT

It is TRUE that above fans don't really care about the Commodore and Amiga history, they don't mind it being dragged through the mud as long as they can achieve what they want - FACT

It is TRUE that there have been some serious shady business tactics, bullying, offensive and intimidatory emails/posts - FACT

I'll repeat what I said in YET another CUSA thread:

Wouldn't have been easier to say: "Sorry we've f*cked up, we wanted to impress", it would have been a more honourable thing to do but no.

Just say "we want to make x86 compatible machines and slap the Commodore and Amiga name on because we know that we'll sell a few." I would have had more respect for such a candid and honest way of approaching us.

This looks like Bill McEwen's last hope to have a go at Hyperion and the only way to do this is to license the name on anything he can possibly think of hence CUSA, iContain, tablets with the Amiga name on, toilet paper and so on.

And why? Because he has actually got no products at all, zero, the absolute nothing. There was a questionable OS that was demonstrated a few years back that could be moved from one device to another but then nothing, the abyss, the emptiness and the uselessness of it all is staggering. One of the worst things that ever happened to our beloved platform was it being driven away from us by a trucker.

There is nothing Commodore or Amiga but the name.

I tried to keep it as succinct as possible for you.

Last edited by TheDaddy on 26-Jun-2011 at 12:53 PM.

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 26-Jun-2011 9:17:39
#28 ]
Elite Member

@natamix

hey, you stolen my dream

:)

vox 
Posted on 26-Jun-2011 9:42:23
#29 ]
Elite Member

@TheDaddy

+1

Truth shall be remembered at all times, none of their bad deeds to be forgotten.
For Eva they shall be known as BIGGEST C64/AMIGA exploit up to date,
just because of faking history, stealing ideas and threatening AMIGA community

Money Ah Dem God - my personal devotion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yXBWxpaEHM

Your comment is put to a description.
Its a blessings to see more people know the Truth and fight the evil propaganda
of corporate exploit

ChrisH 
Posted on 26-Jun-2011 9:42:51
#30 ]
Elite Member

@TheDaddy
While I would question *some* of your conclusions as being indisputable "FACTS" (even though I strongly suspect they are indeed true)... I do definitely agree that it is CUSA's (and some of their fan's) behaviour that has rightly earned them a terrible reputation amoung many of our small remaining Amiga community.

If they stopped trying to pretend to be something they are not, and acted politely/professionally, then I'd happily wish them well. As it is, I want them to leave us alone, and would not shed any tears if they went bust.

vox 
Posted on 26-Jun-2011 9:46:50
#31 ]
Elite Member

@TrevorDick

Dear Trevor,

If they are up to older retro maniacs (we can all here be counted in)
why then so much bullying with PPC Amiga community, putting it down
or promoting itself as only real Amiga (see their pages, that is like
the Commodore was awoken from hybernation)? The problem
is not the product but unrealistic representation.

Because of that, I&I Would neva buy it.

So the target area is the same (people that actually were in Amiga and CBM times), point is they sound more appealing to dummy user, but far to complex with slow PC and LInux for them.

Maybe we buy it for kids when company goes down, same as Commodore:
Unrealistic PR
Unrealistic quantity production
Unrealistic and quite expensive product in current competitive market (x86 here)
No Windows installed or offered, no AROS

vox 
Posted on 26-Jun-2011 10:15:58
#32 ]
Elite Member

@resle

Quote:

To me the whole rigmarole going on here sounds like the National Rifle Association bashing Toys'R'Us because they don't put a giant sticker on their plastic toy weapons saying "THIS IS NOT A TRUE WEAPON! YOU CAN'T KILL ANYONE WITH THIS!"

End of line.

In US they usualy put "DO NOT EAT PLASTIC" on a PLASTIC,
so yes, it should say "this is exploit remake with badge on"

Likewise explained, its not about the product, but the way its marketed agressivly.

Go see CUSA website and tell me what are the holes in time and history and DO THEY try to represent themselves as CBM64 / Commodore Amiga`s coming back

resle 
Posted on 26-Jun-2011 10:20:34
#33 ]
Cult Member

@TheDaddy

I wonder when you'll understand that everything you say is true, correct, and condivisible - but the way you say it makes it hateful to read and basically puts you on the wrong side even if you're right.

Is that so difficult to keep it short, use less sarcasm and bashing?
Just wondering.

vox 
Posted on 26-Jun-2011 10:29:11
#34 ]
Elite Member

@resle

Truth might be an offense, but is not a sin.

You should really pay some attention at the ways CUSA fanboys communicate
and give them the same message. That is how this flamme war started, that should end up in mass boycott (and telling everyone who is excited of CUSA fakerism products to get AresOne, iMica or at least real PC or MAC of today)

natamix 
Posted on 26-Jun-2011 10:41:36
#35 ]

@AmigaBlitter

another dream..
Natami integrate with X1000..
or

vox 
Posted on 26-Jun-2011 11:09:36
#36 ]
Elite Member

@natamix

Well it could be feasable with either X1000 (or PPC accelerator) as PCI card
or Natami as PCI card

Both would be wise solution to spread Amiga`s all over x86 world
and would be a real job, unlike CUSA thing.

Note: PPC PCI cards do exist, even from Varisys

natamix 
Posted on 26-Jun-2011 12:20:11
#37 ]

@vox

I would prefer an integrated solution in the same motherboard
Card also a good solution to spread the AMIGA

damocles 
Posted on 26-Jun-2011 12:39:15
#38 ]

@sundown

Quote:
It shouldn't have been, but their very first thread here, they proclaimed their product to be the new "real" Amiga.

I had the same reaction with AI's DE. I had the same reaction to Eyetech's Teron mobos. What I had to learn is that who controls the name "Amiga" (tm), controls on what the name is applied to. AI/Eyetech didn't care what I thought, they were doing what they had the legal authority to do in order to sell products. Now others have to learn that same lesson that I had to learn years ago.

TheDaddy 
Posted on 26-Jun-2011 12:48:24
#39 ]
Elite Member

@resle

>>I wonder when you'll understand that everything you say is true, correct, and condivisible - but the way you say it makes it hateful to read and basically puts you on the wrong side even if you're right.

Everyone has their own style. You wanted succinct I gave you succinct. I took the time to make it nice and short without having to go through months and months of posts, emails etc...you should be grateful

It's important to make things clear and you trying to make me look like I am at fault is backfiring big time. I am not the bad boy here. So less spin doctors in the house please

>>Is that so difficult to keep it short, use less sarcasm and bashing? Just wondering.

And why would I want to do that? Since when sarcasm is a crime? Are you against freedom of speech, honesty and morals?

Last edited by TheDaddy on 26-Jun-2011 at 12:51 PM.

toRus 
Posted on 26-Jun-2011 12:48:34
#40 ]

@TrevorDick

This is not retro computing, it is retro-looking computing, just like having an Amiga Mosaic Firefox skin on a win7 computer. It is travesty IMHO and I don't like it all.

Last edited by toRus on 26-Jun-2011 at 12:51 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle