Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 130 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  19 mins ago
 retrofaza:  31 mins ago
 kolla:  34 mins ago
 saimo:  41 mins ago
 A1200:  43 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  48 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 48 mins ago
 RickSkid:  1 hr 57 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Software
      /  Turboprint SORTED
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
sicky 
Turboprint SORTED
Posted on 17-Jul-2011 11:48:19
#1 ]
Elite Member

Hi all, just wondering if Turboprint is still available (been away from Amiga scene for several years) to purchase or buy off someone to install on my SAM460, assuming it runs okay on OS4.1 update 2?

I have a HP PSC 1317 printer at home which I cannot get working with my Amiga.

If I can't get it working with OS4 was considering getting another printer, heard the HP Photosmart all in one printer (available from Currys fo £50) works on OS4.1, can anyone confirm this?

Sorry for all these silly questions but it's all new to me as a returning Amigan

Last edited by sicky on 09-Dec-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Last edited by sicky on 17-Jul-2011 at 11:49 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
Swoop 
Re: Turboprint
Posted on 17-Jul-2011 12:01:02
#2 ]
Elite Member

@sicky

Quote:
Hi all, just wondering if Turboprint is still available (been away from Amiga scene for several years) to purchase or buy off someone to install on my SAM460, assuming it runs okay on OS4.1 update 2?

Turboprint runs fine on OS4.2u2, but there is a conflict if you use NoTurbo to remove Turboprint, as the current public printer driver won't allow it. Tetrisoft tweaked onr of the previous updates, but that has been lost subseqently. But Turboprint itself works great.

As for getting hold of it, I purchase and downloaded the latest version from the IrseeSoft website.

Last edited by Swoop on 17-Jul-2011 at 02:07 PM.

"There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Templario 
Posted on 17-Jul-2011 13:34:22
#3 ]
Elite Member

@sicky
We need a new version for 68k, OS4, AROS and M.

Swoop 
Posted on 17-Jul-2011 14:08:30
#4 ]
Elite Member

@Templario

Turboprint is only 68k, and I don't think there is any chance of a new version.

"There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't."

OldFart 
Posted on 17-Jul-2011 15:39:55
#5 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@Swoop

Hijacking sicky's thread, I know, but HOW did you get TP working? Tried it several times to no avail.

Care to post an article about it on IntuitionBase? Might be interesting to others.

OldFart

Last edited by OldFart on 17-Jul-2011 at 03:40 PM.

whose 
Posted on 17-Jul-2011 16:40:42
#6 ]
Cult Member

@OldFart

Its quite simple: you need a working 68k installation of TP to make it work on OS4.x

As soon as you have a fully working 68k installation, you could copy it over to your OS4.x machine. Additionally, you have to make a "TurboPrint:"-Assign to make TP find its printer drivers and other configuration data.

For those without a "real" 68k Amiga, it might help to install TP on an E-UAE (or WinUAE) emulated OS3.x environment and copy it over from there. I never tried myself, so I dont know if E-UAE“s floppy emulation is matured enough to provide the compatibility necessary for the registration process of TP. Worth a try

Last edited by whose on 17-Jul-2011 at 04:42 PM.

Templario 
Posted on 17-Jul-2011 18:19:53
#7 ]
Elite Member

@Swoop

Yes, I know that TurboPrint is only for 68k machines, I have one old version that I used with my Amiga 500, but is a good idea to port it to the new machines and Amiga OSs, with new drivers for the newest printers.

Arko 
Posted on 17-Jul-2011 19:10:07
#8 ]

@Templario

Quote:

Templario wrote:

Yes, I know that TurboPrint is only for 68k machines,..

It was (is ?) integrated in MorphOS 1.x but I doesn't know if it was completely PPC or still 68k.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

BillE 
Posted on 17-Jul-2011 20:59:51
#9 ]

@sicky

There have been no new drivers for TP for years now so getting one that is specifically for your HP PSC 1317 is unlikely.

Turbo print works quite well under OS4.

I never had any problem using NoTurbo to remove Turboprint as Swoop seems to have, I could always switch between using TP and the native FILE driver when I needed to.

What I did find a problem was when printing plain text then TurboPrint would lock up the A1, it would print the text but I always had to reboot the Amiga after doing so.

I now have an HP Photosmart which ha a native OS4 driver so no longer use TurboPrint, so can print plain text without problem. I miss the lack of control TP gave you in adjusting the printout colours etc. but it works.

number6 
Posted on 17-Jul-2011 21:06:51
#10 ]
Elite Member

@whose

Quote:
Its quite simple: you need a working 68k installation of TP to make it work on OS4.x
As soon as you have a fully working 68k installation, you could copy it over to your OS4.x machine. Additionally, you have to make a "TurboPrint:"-Assign to make TP find its printer drivers and other configuration data.

Yep. That's how I did it long ago.

eliyahu 
Posted on 17-Jul-2011 21:50:24
#11 ]

@BillE

Quote:
There have been no new drivers for TP for years now so getting one that is specifically for your HP PSC 1317 is unlikely.

and as far as i remember, i don't think turboprint supports any of the LIDIL printers from HP. these printers are also not supported by the OS4 native deskjet or postscript drivers, either, i'm afraid, nor the third-party drivers (such as the DOT4 and photosmart drivers) on os4depot.

does anyone have any ideas as to how @sicky could get his printer working with OS4?

-- eliyahu

whose 
Posted on 17-Jul-2011 23:45:09
#12 ]
Cult Member

@eliyahu

sicky wont get the printer working at all... youre right, there is no LIDIL support for AmigaOS. Heck, theres even restricted LIDIL support for Linux, so... (btw., I really like the title of HPs hplib site... "open source"... with the major parts in a closed source link library, haha...)

@sicky:

Could you tell us which Photosmart printer you mean exactly? There are some LIDIL-Photosmart printers, too...

You could find out yourself, if it works (to some extend): Printers which use the PCL3GUI printer language will work with the OS4.x Photosmart driver, but with restrictions in resolution and accuracy. Using TurboPrint, one or the other driver like the 970Cxi driver might work, too. This will give you much better results, even if full print resolution might not be possible.

PCL5 printers or PostScript printers still works best with AmigaOS. There are some laser printers out there, not too expensive, which work fine with AmigaOS. There are even some cheap Kyocera color laser printers with PCL5/PS support.

Oh, btw.: You cant use the scanner option with AmigaOS. There is absolutely no support for this.

g01df1sh 
Posted on 18-Jul-2011 7:01:20
#13 ]

@sicky

HI all

After all this time I would of thought os 4 would have a good printer driver system by now and not require turbo print. Still turbo print was a great printer system for Amiga as even commodore did not update the printing system.

Major things missing in os4

USB 2
Printer support
Wifi
3D Driver
dual CPU support

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

sicky 
Posted on 18-Jul-2011 9:02:31
#14 ]
Elite Member

@whose

This is the one I was going to buy http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/hp-photosmart-e-all-in-one-wireless-multifunction-printer-07374406-pdt.html

Quote:
Could you tell us which Photosmart printer you mean exactly?

Last edited by sicky on 18-Jul-2011 at 09:04 AM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 18-Jul-2011 9:22:22
#15 ]
Elite Member

@sicky

i do not think there is a chance that turboprint becomes freeware or opensource. But i have contact to the author of studio and he promised to send me a version as freeware (68k). i do not think he will make it opensource.

whose 
Posted on 18-Jul-2011 9:25:16
#16 ]
Cult Member

@sicky

This one is a PCL3GUI printer, so it should work with the OS4 Photosmart driver and several TuroPrint drivers.

@g01df1sh

Well, the printer system doesnt need an update such badly... in fact, the AmigaOS printing system isnt that bad at all. It may need some modernization regarding colour correction and scaling functions, but in the end all leads to missing drivers.

And thats a problem even CUPS wont solve, because most of the printer manufacturers tend to release "open source" drivers that rely on a closed source link library (available for *nix x86 only). "Best" example is HP... you wont find much information regarding PCL3GUI anywhere in the "open source" hplib or drivers, because its hidden in a closed source link library. Other manufacturers do it this way, too.

IMHO this is the reason for TurboPrint being available for Linux x86 only since some time.

Last edited by whose on 18-Jul-2011 at 09:32 AM.

_analogkid_ 
Posted on 18-Jul-2011 9:35:09
#17 ]

@Arko

It was an old 68k version (7.16 IIRC), and the only native thing was/is (it's still integrated into MorphOS 2.x) its prefs editor.

I'm using a Postscript capable Laserjet, and it's the best thing you could do on Amiga/MorphOS/whatever.

PR 
Posted on 18-Jul-2011 10:02:08
#18 ]

@sicky

Having turboprint and the "Classic" for a HP560C worked really fine for advertising at the times but now with a HP Colour Laser with a pc. Could it work with the A1? Maybe too much work and got to install a new power supply for it. A new version I could buy for OS4.

Hopefully we could get a printer and a driver for it. I think that a manufacter would want sales for us for a good one, maybe only one and everybody would buy one for os4? I hope Hype/Cube is reading this for an idea?

Just my free cents:)

ChrisH 
Posted on 18-Jul-2011 11:24:23
#19 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh Quote:
Major things missing in os4

USB 2
Printer support
Wifi
3D Driver
dual CPU support

Errrm, no. OS4 already has hardware 3D support (it's just not as optimised for modern cards as it could be, which is why we await the port of Gallium 3D).

Wifi: OS4 also has (3rd-party but free) driver for particular model of Wifi card.

Printer support: Well of course OS4 has printer support, just not all modern (esp not cheapo) printers. BUT we also know that Hyperion is looking at porting CUPS or similar.

USB 2: Sounds like we will get this with Update 3 (to my surprise).

Dual Core support: We can't buy any dual-core OS4 hardware yet, so no need for supporting it yet! Of course that will hopefully change...

gerograph 
Posted on 18-Jul-2011 11:30:41
#20 ]
Cult Member

Some experiences about printers from my point of view:

Like Whose said, making a printer run even on PPC Linux isn't easy at all, because vendors donnot supply Linux PPC drivers. You cannot even recompile them as some of the source is closed and bounded to x86 (like hplib). I went through all this already with Brother and HP, trying to get an PS All in One to run on SAM440 Debian Lenny Linux.

Most printers using 600x600 DPI or above (Colorlaser and inkjet) are only supported via Turboprint with resolutions upto 300x300 DPI. This results in a bad qualitiy at least for photo printing. This means you have to stick to postscript printers, which will give a very good result on Linux but a worse result on Amiga OS, as all photos get printed to dark. Seems there is no color correction (?).

So overall, best thing to do is getting a PS printer and live with the fact, that your photo prinouts are getting quiet dark. Using a network capable printer is also a good idea, as not all printers are supported by USB.

About All-in-One:
Printout will be O.k. (see above), most of them are network capable as well.
Epson scanning might be supported via AmiCygnix (but untested as far as I know).
Brother and HP Scanning are definitly not supported either by PPC Linux nor AmiCygnix, because they use x86 only closed source libs. Some older HP (like Officejet 7400) are however supported, as they havn't closed source parts. See XSane website for infos. So they are already or might be available for AmiCygnix as well.
A good solution for scanning from Amiga (regarding all in one) is using:

- Scanning via Webinterface (like on HP 7400)
- Scanning to USB Stick/ USB stick will then be in moust cases mounted if your AIO is connected via USB
- Scanning to FTP or SAMBA share

I myself use a Xerox Phaser 6180, which prints via PS/Network and scans to SAMBA Share. Works well for Amiga OS and PPC Linux. Using a scanner GUI (XScan or whatever) from AmiCygnix or PPC Linux doesn't work though (same for brother and HP AIO Color Laserjets).
See here for more details (sorry it is in German):

link A1k.org

and yes, new drivers for OS4 incl. colorcorrection are defnitely needed !

www.geomarketing-consultant.de

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle