Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 99 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

kolla,  pixie

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  1 min ago
 kolla:  2 mins ago
 Hammer:  10 mins ago
 Rob:  21 mins ago
 matthey:  25 mins ago
 amigakit:  45 mins ago
 corb0:  51 mins ago
 zipper:  52 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 25 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga PPC Linux
      /  Ubuntu LiveCD for Sam460, are you interested?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Tomas 
Re: Ubuntu LiveCD for Sam460, are you interested?
Posted on 13-Aug-2011 1:00:37
#21 ]
Elite Member

@vrana

Quote:

vrana wrote:
@elwood

Not really a Ubuntu fan. It is getting more and more bloated and forever forking away from the regular Linux distros. I am still running 10.x at work since I am not interested in unity and about to look into moving over to Linux Mint Debian edition.

If Debian runs slow on my Sam then I would hate to see how bad the current version of Ubuntu will run :P

Ubuntu is even starting to get too slow for my amd64 system with 1.5gig of ram, so yeah I doubt it would run very smoothly on the Sam.

Profile     Report this post  
Hypex 
Posted on 14-Aug-2011 15:37:00
#22 ]
Elite Member

@elwood

Quote:
We need to use only one CD. We are not Linux experts

It's not that hard. You don't need to be a Linux expert. All you need to do is stick one CD each in each drive or stick the installer CD in your one drive and swap it over for the main CD when it's needed!

Quote:
About the non-possible installation, it may be due that the partition manager used by Ubuntu is not RDB-aware like amiga-fdisk is.

It could certainly read my partitions as it showed them to me. And it certainly does supoort Amiga in Ubuntu because (as I've said before) the console setup routine looks for an Amiga keyboard.

In any case it should be possible without much modifcation because the Ubuntu text installer I also tested detected my Amiga partitioned drive fine and was able to install a Linix base system fine without wrecking my Amiga partitions.

Hypex 
Posted on 14-Aug-2011 15:58:29
#23 ]
Elite Member

@gerograph

Quote:
A SAM440 (460) Linux Live CD is probably much needed, wether it is Ubuntu or whatever doesn't really matter

An Ubuntu is easiest Live CD as it already has a diustro port to PPC. Debian OTOH is, IMHO a complete mess. Officially they claim to support in the least a graphical installer, but this isn't included in the standard install CD! And activatng the GUI using boot args on the standard CD will give errors about missing files last time I checked. But if you want to try out the graphical installer it's in the form of small mini ISO you have to track down. What the hell!?

Debian also has a Live CD, but it isn't ported to PPC, and only made for x86. However there is Alpha versions for PPC. Perhaps good to see how it would run. Try before you buy.

Hypex 
Posted on 14-Aug-2011 16:05:08
#24 ]
Elite Member

@djrikki

Quote:
Will this LiveCD come with an installer that can quite happily and safely create a partition on a HD (that AmigaOS already sits somewhere on) and install Ubuntu to it?

Personally I wouldn't trust any Linux to create a partition for me. But it can be trusted to format and install into a previously created partiton. So, what I would do is create the partitions needed under AmigaOS4, whuch have to be marked with the correct DOS type anyway; and then tell Linux those are the partitions you want to use.

gerograph 
Posted on 14-Aug-2011 16:59:10
#25 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex
yep, you are right, last Debian Install was a bit hard to setup... thats why I said, an "easy out of the box working linux" would be great. This doesn't have to be Debian. And yes I guess Ubuntu is a good choice as it is probably the most easiest too use for novice Linux Users. However, I am afraid that it might run to slow on SAM440 (460), thats why I suggested another LiveCD based on "leaner" solutions (this will probably be a highly customized thing with different windowmanager etc...).
But I would be happy, if you proof me wrong, as Ubuntu is probably the best Distro for "novice Linux Users" which are used to Amiga OS and mainly Windows.

www.geomarketing-consultant.de

redfox 
Posted on 14-Aug-2011 18:19:54
#26 ]
Elite Member

@elwood

When I purchase my Sam460, I want to run a pure AmigaOS system, but it would be nice to have something else available that does not need to be installed on the hard drive.

I am assuming that LiveCD means that the CD is bootable, contains everything required to boot into a usable system, and does not install anything on the hard drive, unless I specifically want to do an install.

If this is correct, then I am interested in purchasing a Ubuntu LiveCD for Sam460.

---
redfox

Last edited by redfox on 14-Aug-2011 at 06:32 PM.

gerograph 
Posted on 14-Aug-2011 19:39:45
#27 ]
Cult Member

@redfox

correct...

www.geomarketing-consultant.de

Geri 
Posted on 14-Aug-2011 20:22:19
#28 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Hypex wrote:
@elwood

Quote:
About the non-possible installation, it may be due that the partition manager used by Ubuntu is not RDB-aware like amiga-fdisk is.

It could certainly read my partitions as it showed them to me. And it certainly does supoort Amiga in Ubuntu because (as I've said before) the console setup routine looks for an Amiga keyboard.

That's because the keyboard-configuration tool only looks at the model field in /proc/cpuinfo, where
it reads Amiga[One].

- A1 Linux support -

ppc_addon 
Posted on 7-Jan-2012 17:26:01
#29 ]

@elwood

then.. what's happed to Ubuntu LiveCD for Sam460? Is there a guy working on?

IBM Intellistation POWER 275 - CRUX PPC (64bit) 3.0

vox 
Posted on 7-Jan-2012 18:47:51
#30 ]
Elite Member

@elwood

Since I am planning to get SAM 460, would pay to have Linux for it.
Count me as yes.

Could it be some advanced distro like Ubuntu 10, Yellow Dog Linux 6, Fedora 16? Anything that would mean latest avail for PowerPC

KimmoK 
Posted on 7-Jan-2012 20:53:27
#31 ]
Elite Member

I find Ubuntu a little bit slow on my AMD64x2 3800+ system, so I imagine Bodhi Linux or some other might give nicer results on SAM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

gtmooya 
Posted on 8-Jan-2012 10:52:41
#32 ]

@elwood

Yes, if 440-flex compatible too, although have doubts about performance. But once Ubuntu was done presumably it wouldn't be much more work to do a live CD for the less demanding Elementary?

Hypex 
Posted on 8-Jan-2012 13:58:32
#33 ]
Elite Member

@elwood

So that 10 EUR/14 USD minimum, is that for the LiveCD or is that each from those interested?

eliyahu 
Posted on 8-Jan-2012 14:07:27
#34 ]

@gtmooya

Quote:
Yes, if 440-flex compatible too, although have doubts about performance. But once Ubuntu was done presumably it wouldn't be much more work to do a live CD for the less demanding Elementary?

i would happily pay for an updated debian live CD.

-- eliyahu

nubechecorre 
Posted on 24-Feb-2012 11:38:53
#35 ]
Cult Member

@elwood

any news? what about the possibility to add support for 440 too? :)

Bitplane

djrikki 
Posted on 24-Feb-2012 12:10:21
#36 ]
Elite Member

I was actually thinking about installing some form of linux on my SAM 460 to add some dual purpose to it. I'd happily pay 10 EUR for it.

virgolamobile 
Posted on 24-Feb-2012 19:26:11
#37 ]

This is my experience using Linux on the Sam460.

I, since the release of CRUX PPC 2.7a, installed Linux on my Sam460ex.
CRUX PPC, which has now suspended its development, has a kernel 2.6.36.4 without DRM (Direct Rendering Manager) support (no 2D and no 3D hardware acceleration), which force you to use the frame buffer.

For the system is useable, I mean, it is not that slow, but not enough for my taste.
Obviously, has there is no video acceleration, forget all those fancy stuff like solid window moving, playing videos, blender, 3D games and so on.

Another problem is that the text console output is available only via VGA from the soldered SM502 and the graphical output (after many headache) from the PCI-E RadeonHD. The Linux kernel has a bug not yet solved that prevent the SM502 frame buffer usage.

So, I tried building my own kernel based on latest 3.2.x in order to enable DRM.
Being a completely newbie I needed a huge quantity of time just to understand how the process works.
You could compile the kernel on the Sam460, but it took way too long (few hours).
In the end what I did was:
1. got a Mac PPC;
2. installed Debian Squeeze PPC;
3. set up a gcc compiler with the basic stuff;
4. installed the mkimage package;
5. downloaded the kernel source code;
6. copied the kernel configuration file from the CRUX PPC ISO;
7. in the Mac Debian console entered: "make oldconfig" and answered always "no";
8. compiled the new kernel entering
- make uImage
- make canyonlands.dtb
- make modules
9. copied the kernel (file uImage), the dtb (canyonlands.dtb) and the modules into the sam460 partition;
10. changed the file "menu.lst" for adding a new boot configuration;
11. booted the sam460 selecting the new kernel.

The screen went black so I tried again attaching the sam460 to a laptop using a serial cable in order to understand what went wrong (I added "console=ttyS0,115200n8" to the configuration in order to send the console output to the serial port).
The linux kernel was simply ok, all appeared just fine and I could even login (entering the serial connection) but there was simpl no video output. I tried to start X, the linux graphical environment and finally I've got a video output from my PCI-E RadeonHD.

In search of information I've tried to get some information from the CRUX PPC forum, which is pretty desert, and the very kind developer (I think the only one working on the distribution) answered that kernel developers simply doesn't care too much for a PowerPC platform different than the traditional old Mac: too much effort for too few users.
In addition the problem with the Sam460 is that it uses a PCI-E, which old PPC Mac didn't have (well, some of the latest models did have such interface, but, again, too few users).

This is a link to the discussion on the CRUX PPC forum.

Anybody else did tried anything?

How is the X1000 performing with the Linux distribution A-Eon said it was available?
Is it really existing and up and running?
Does it have hardware graphical acceleration?

Last edited by virgolamobile on 24-Feb-2012 at 08:31 PM.

ppc_addon 
Posted on 24-Feb-2012 20:33:05
#38 ]

@virgolamobile

i followed your thread as i'm a long standing user of both CRUX/CRUX-PPC.
Just to remember CRUX is DIY distro for advanced users.

Usually CRUX bootkernels doesn't ship with superfluous features like DRM or Sound support simply because they are just bootkernels... if you need a fine tuned kernel you need to build it.

So on, i guess you misunderstood these words... he said that you cannot look for linuxppc-devel support if the platform isn't officially ported to Linux kernel from somebody (a free developer or directly the vendor). E.g. Sam440ep was ported from Acube and that platform is officially supported from Linux kernel.

ciao,
Nello

p.s. 1GHz is enough to build a kernel.
p.p.s. you need to apply the suggested patches to have sm502 framebuffer working again.
p.p.s. you need additional radeon firmware (opt/radeon-ucode) to use 3D with that kind of videocard.

Last edited by ppc_addon on 24-Feb-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Last edited by ppc_addon on 24-Feb-2012 at 08:34 PM.

IBM Intellistation POWER 275 - CRUX PPC (64bit) 3.0

amigadave 
Posted on 24-Feb-2012 21:33:52
#39 ]

I did not read all of this thread, because I don't own a SAM460ex. But I have used Ubuntu PPC 10.10 on a couple of my G4 & G5 Mac computers, so if I am not satisfied with Debian Squeeze Linux on my X1000, I would be interested in Ubuntu PPC for the X1000, if that is possible.

I will take a look at Debian Squeeze first though.

realize 
Posted on 25-Feb-2012 4:15:14
#40 ]

@amigadave

You could probably make your Debian install kind of act and look like Ubuntu.. but Ubuntu is so polished it would be nice to see on that X1000!

Do you know that the ODW/PEG2 with Debian was running DRI/3d faster than G5 macs running same os @ SNDF Dallas? amazing the moto guys loved it.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle