Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
23 crawler(s) on-line.
 82 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

amigakit

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  3 mins ago
 Hammer:  6 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 VooDoo:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs ago
 agami:  2 hrs 34 mins ago
 miggymac:  2 hrs 51 mins ago
 Dragster:  3 hrs 1 min ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  4 hrs 38 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Alt Amiga OS
      /  Why does there seem to be more OS4 users than MorphOS users?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
PosterThread
OldAmigan 
Re: Why does there seem to be more OS4 users than MorphOS users?
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 9:49:44
#41 ]
Cult Member

@amigadave

Good question. I hope the asbestos suit doesn't get too singed.

For myself, I could never afford the hardware to run MorphOS in it's original form, on Classic+ PPC cards. As you say, although at the time AROS was in the works, it wasn't in a usable state.

As time progressed and the AmigaOne was announced I was determined that, although the OS wasn't there yet, that I would buy one and wait. There was indeed the possibility of the Peg1 and MorphOS but the antics (or, the perceived antics) of BBRV and the awful Red v. Blue flame wars put me off going in that direction.

Now, though, I run AmigaForever 2012 + AmigaSys + Amikit and AROS on my netbook (I'm often away from home). I have MorphOS (demo at the moment) on my aged PowerMac and when I manage to get my A1XE up and running again, I'll have AOS 4.1 Update 3 (Probably 4 by the time I get it running)

I fully intend to buy an AmigaOne X1000 as soon as I can afford it and an Amiga Netbook so I'm pretty firmly fixed into the AOS 4.x camp, although I like to see all flavours of Amiga advancing.

My pipe dream would be to see all combined and only the desktop being different, as effectively happens in Linux, although I know it will never happen.

AmigaOne and OS4.1
Mac LCII, G4 Powermac running OSX + Amigakit and MorphOS 3.0
Dell Mini 10 Netbook running IcAros and AmigaForever+Amikit+AmigaSys
2006 Macb

Profile     Report this post  
vox 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 9:54:36
#42 ]
Elite Member

@nikosidis

Quote:
And what would the old Amigas been without the custom chips. I don't see any custom chips in Amiga hardware today, so to me Amiga hardware is just like any other PC hardware.

Not much true, but Motorola (now Freescale) invested itself in PowerPC as replacement and ISA / PCI / AGP / PCI-E cards really showed real quick development. Commodore would switch to PCI and use it. Is someone non Amigan if it has PCI or Zorro III graphics or sound card? Even for Classics step forward was needed. CGX and AHI were intended to open AmigaOS that way.

Similarity could be if RadeonHD and some really nice sound card were implemented to the motherboards of X000, SAM460 etc. Not basic ones, really good ones so slots could be free for Catweasel, faster SATA/SCSI etc.

XMOS in X1000 is try out to recreate the feeling as well as FPGA on SAMs, but not too much used, sadly (recreate the feeling = have programmable chips like e.g. DSP was on Atari Falcon.

Also, its very difficult to develop comparable cards to Creative Labs and nVIDIA/ATI nowadays (SiS tried and failed with Xabre, Matrox is out, CGI Volari isn`t much of choice, S3 is dead as well as Voodo`s) , its easier to use their chips

So even when I feel nostalgic about OCS / ECS / AGA the "motherboard way" was only way to go. In those terms MOS and OS4 are nice step forward, and even Minimig will have PCI slots for expansion, even it will be "Strongest Classic"

KimmoK 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 9:55:41
#43 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

Do not fool yourself. AmigaOS4 is based on the original AmigaOS SW code, as everybody knows and as the video clearly shows.

That's one of the biggest reasons for me to be with AOS4. I want to support the genuine original, as long as it goes forward.

I have also a MosMini "in the closet", but I have not yet registered MOS for it because I already struggle to arrange the time for AOS4 fun. AOS4 is also more familiar than those others. I know I could set MOS to look more familiar to me, but again, it's the lack of time.

I also had AROS box (it's picky with HW support, IMHO), but currently it runs Linux & awaits for the AEROS release. Also for AROS, I do not have enough time. If/when it runs alongside linux application in AEROS, it has better chance to become more used. If AROS gets custom, 100% supported HW, it will become much more interesting, but as long as the reality exists (of not able to support every x86 HW out there) AEROS would be the way to my x86 desktop.

and about OS wars & big egoes etc.:
- I have been closer to AOS than MOS, so I look through red glasses & prefer the AOS
(to me it once seemed that Phase5 guys tried to capture the AOS to run only on their HW)
- I did not like OS and HW being developed & produced by the same people
- I hate big R&D egoes affecting the happiness of users (Hyperion is at least not afraid in supporting blue HW, but no side is innocent)

Last edited by KimmoK on 28-Oct-2011 at 10:12 AM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

KimmoK 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 10:01:42
#44 ]
Elite Member

@nikosidis

"I don't see any custom chips in Amiga hardware today, so to me Amiga hardware is just like any other PC hardware."

Most AOS4.1 HW have custom chips, even though they might be pretty useless.
AOS4.1 runs on AGA machines, SAM with customizable LatticeXP, X1000 with Xena.

CodeSmith 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 10:02:33
#45 ]
Elite Member

@xeron

Quote:

xeron wrote:
@g_kraszewski
Not everyone who uses OS4 do so for stupid anti-mos reasons. Some of us just like OS4.

Back in 2003, I didn't have any hatred for MOS or MOS users, but I bought an AmigaOne because it seemed like a good upgrade from a 68060 Amiga. Turns out, I got a machine which has served me very well ever since, and I love OS4, so I don't regret it.

What I didn't like, was the immense hostility from some of my online friends because I took the red pill, even though I had nothing against them or their choice, and that really put me off of MorphOS for quite a long time.

So I guess, from 2003 to 2005, while I was an OS4 user more or less on a whim, the hostility between the camps did affect my opinion of the alternatives. From around 2005, when i bought my Pegasos, I stopped caring, but I did still prefer OS4.

It was pretty much the same with me. I only have time for one hobby OS, so I weighed the pros and cons of AmigaOS and MorphOS and decided to buy an AmigaOne. The camp nonsense was starting out about that time, but I figured it was a few dumb fanboys like every platform has. Boy was I wrong. By the time it was all over, I'd been completely convinced that the Amiga ecosystem has no future and I'd moved on to other things. The idiocy wasn't limited to fanboys, we had CEOs publicly slagging each other off on the various forums. Imagine Steve Ballmer and Mark Shuttleworth having it out on slashdot - sounds ridiculous? maybe that's why MS and Canonical are giant multinationals while Genesi, Hyperion and Amiga Inc are mom-and-pop shops (does Genesi even exist any more?) The really sad thing about this is that it's still going on at low level, with people still fighting the same tired old fight. Every time someone comes up with anything that could objectively be called good, on the OS4, MOS or AROS side, someone will open his big mouth and remind me why it would be a waste of time to contribute more than a few forum posts.

Slayer 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 10:08:41
#46 ]

@Hyperionmp

Niiiiiiiice

Kronos 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 10:10:56
#47 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

Maybe you should lookup what "custom chips" really means....

Reprogrammable chips like FPGAs, mikrocontrollers and such are the exact opposite of "custom".

The fact that they are normally not found in PC-style motherboards makes their use an oddity but nothing more.

Daedalus 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 10:12:59
#48 ]

@CodeSmith

+1

It's pretty tiring alright...

itix 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 10:16:06
#49 ]
Elite Member

@Hyperionmp

Commodore has been dead 17 years now.

KimmoK 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 10:16:15
#50 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

To me all but mainstream HW is custom, but it's just me.

btw. does latest MOS run on any HW that has CBM developed chip on it?

fishy_fis 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 10:21:58
#51 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
Amihlon basically was a heavy modified UAE integrated whit a QNX or Linux kernel,

No its not.
AmigaXL however fits that description.

Last edited by fishy_fis on 28-Oct-2011 at 10:24 AM.

Kronos 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 10:28:04
#52 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

And for me all that not round&green is a

Bout those "classics" we really are talking bout P5/DCE-HW(+Elbox for most in the red corner) with some obsolete and mostly unused C= dongle hanging on it's side....

MorphOS had an PuP version long before OS4
MorphOS-team never charged for such versions knowing they would be a neverending unsupportable beta anyways (in contrast too...)
MorphOS-team never charged for updating it to fix the most obvious bugs (while still being a pointless exercise)

Fact is, PuP-HW was hardly uptodate when it was released diverting resources to it now would be conterproductive.

@Hyperion
Funny that you mention Workbench which has been due to an overhaul/replacement for more than 10 years...

Not sure wether I should comment on the ARexx-part .....

g_kraszewski 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 10:29:26
#53 ]

@KimmoK

btw. does latest MOS run on any HW that has CBM developed chip on it?

No. There is no point to run it on such hardware. It is like asking if Windows 7 works on any HW with ISA slots.

OlafS25 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 10:37:31
#54 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

OS4 might be AmigaOS but not Amiga (for many of us)

amigang 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 10:40:35
#55 ]
Elite Member

Quote:
5. Feature gap between AmigaOS 3 and MorphOS is too big. Some people prefer AmigaOS 4 just because Workbench is less advanced than Ambient. Yes, that's true. For a classic user not using Directory Opus Magellan, Ambient is just a too long jump. "Workbench is still Workbench", this sentence is used as one of AmigaOS 4 mottos. It appeals to some. An AmigaOS 4 user said once that deleting files with 'del' key is counterintuitive, as Workbench uses 'amiga + d'. When I've demonstrated that it is configurable in Ambient, and had 'amiga + d' in a minute, he still was not convinced. You can't argue with such arguments.

LOL Did that really happen.

I wish we had that speech up of Trevor from Amiwest trying to get some unity in the platform (i've not seen it but we could do with it right about now). Please guys lets not try and start another Red VS Blue Wars, but just acknowledge our differences and just enjoy our Amiga experiences and be grateful that their is so much choice we are pretty spoilt that no matter what philosophy you follow their Amiga like platform out their for you. How many other platform can say that!

OlafS25 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 10:41:49
#56 ]
Elite Member

@g_kraszewski

6. is almost too silly to answer to. What can you do on your "NG"-System that you cannot do on "Classic" (Natami)?

itix 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 10:42:12
#57 ]
Elite Member

@CodeSmith

Quote:

Boy was I wrong. By the time it was all over, I'd been completely convinced that the Amiga ecosystem has no future and I'd moved on to other things.

If everyone understood it earlier we would have less fights. Ten yars ago we (as in collective) had some weird idea that Amiga is making comeback and it is important to choose right platform to support it. It is just b#ll#cks. Buying this or that didnt make difference.

Once Amiga comeback disease is cured we are getting better.

Edit: language filter

Last edited by itix on 28-Oct-2011 at 10:43 AM.

Crumb 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 10:49:46
#58 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

Because the name. OS4 gets more publicity when anything is done even if it was already done on MorphOS years ago (or even if it was available on classics). Because some people care more about icons and backdrops than the OS itself (that's the reason some people is more concerned about OS4 having OS3.9-like icons than its bad compatibility with Amiga apps like DirectoryOpus5)

So everytime there's a new release of even the smallest app (like a quick SDL recompilation of a game) you'll see a lot of noise and news like it was a party:

Zylesea 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 11:01:08
#59 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

Since there are many ppl who actually don't really know what MorphOS is, I suggest to read http://via.i-networx.de/wim.htm . Takes 5 minutes and covers enough for a first impression. For more details follow the links given at the end of that article.

vox 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 11:03:35
#60 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
OS4 might be AmigaOS but not Amiga (for many of us)

AmigaOS 4 obviously IS AmigaOS

PPC Boards running in might not be Amigas to you,
but then again in the world having "Amigas" with no AmigaOS isn`t
running AmigaOS native a qualifier what Amiga is?

Completely understand in terms of custom chipset, Kickstart in ROM, even
in the look of the machine, but then again since time of home computers is decade, decade and half before there is (almost) no other option. Natami should be something for you, hope it will be done also this year.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle