Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 147 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  17 mins ago
 pixie:  18 mins ago
 BigD:  45 mins ago
 matthey:  59 mins ago
 AndreasM:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 1 min ago
 Swisso:  2 hrs 5 mins ago
 amigang:  3 hrs 12 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  Timberwol RC2 - crash on startup on sam440 with AmigaOS4.1 update 4
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
redfox 
Re: Timberwol RC2 - crash on startup on sam440 with AmigaOS4.1 update 4
Posted on 30-Jul-2012 2:16:59
#41 ]
Elite Member

@number6

I have gone back to Timberwolf RC1 and will wait for a future update.

My MicroA1 (µA1-C) has only 256 MB of RAM.

Timberwolf runs, but my system does not have enough RAM to use Timberwolf to its full potential.

For *me* ... it works best WITHOUT the RANDOM device.

---
redfox

(In the end, it did not really matter which file system I used. I simply do not have enough RAM to use the program for any serious web browsing.)

Last edited by redfox on 30-Jul-2012 at 05:10 AM.
Last edited by redfox on 30-Jul-2012 at 02:35 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
cgutjahr 
Posted on 30-Jul-2012 19:44:39
#42 ]
Cult Member

@Troels

Quote:

but all in all it doesn't make much difference. We all know

I understand that, like the rest of us, you've probably lost most of your initial motivation, real life is an issue etc. etc. But you are managing several thousand Euros on behalf of the community - I must say I find your lack of care frightening. "Hey, we didn't really check, we just gave them your 7000 Euros. Doesn't really matter anyway.".

And it just goes on as if nothing remarkable happened. The VPDF bounty is a prime example as to how a bounty description should not be worded. No explanation as to why we need this, no clear list of requirements, no deadline. And all that for a bounty which is already assigned to somebody who's famous for a long list of half-assed ports that aren't all that usable and don't get maintained.

And the bounty rules still don't explain who decides if a bounty is finished or how that decision is made. Although your statement above makes me think we might be better off not knowing all the details...

Is this some competition as to who can burn more money in a given time frame?

Quote:

I have the strongest confidence that the Frieden brothers will solve the problems that emerged with RC2 and deliver a stable product in the near future.

Will they also give the donors OS 4.2 for free, as that is apparently needed to run this future version of Timberwolf properly?

kilaueabart 
Posted on 30-Jul-2012 23:11:51
#43 ]
Cult Member

@fastbit66
I'm another who gets that problem most of the time but not always, on a SAM460.

So far, I just click "Kill" and relaunch from the dock, and the new one comes up OK.

Troels 
Posted on 31-Jul-2012 1:01:07
#44 ]
Elite Member

@cgutjahr

Quote:
I understand that, like the rest of us, you've probably lost most of your initial motivation, real life is an issue etc. etc. But you are managing several thousand Euros on behalf of the community - I must say I find your lack of care frightening. "Hey, we didn't really check, we just gave them your 7000 Euros. Doesn't really matter anyway.".

Yes it's all a hobby and there's only so much time I can dedicate to it, sorry but as long as it costs me money instead of earning me money that's the way it has to be.

Where did I say we didn't check Timberwolf?
I wrote that I am currently without a working machine that is not the same as WE didn't check. Whether we checked carefully enough is another matter but don't put words into my mouth.

Quote:
And it just goes on as if nothing remarkable happened. The VPDF bounty is a prime example as to how a bounty description should not be worded. No explanation as to why we need this, no clear list of requirements, no deadline. And all that for a bounty which is already assigned to somebody who's famous for a long list of half-assed ports that aren't all that usable and don't get maintained.
A better description of the vpdf bounty will be up in a few days. Speed is one of the mentioned reasons as to why we could use this application another mentioned reason is better compatibility than our current offerings. Your rude remarks I think you should have just kept to yourself.

Quote:
And the bounty rules still don't explain who decides if a bounty is finished or how that decision is made. Although your statement above makes me think we might be better off not knowing all the details...
A project is considered completed once it has got the bounty committee's approval.

Quote:
Is this some competition as to who can burn more money in a given time frame?
?

Quote:
Will they also give the donors OS 4.2 for free, as that is apparently needed to run this future version of Timberwolf properly?
The less than EUR 7000 gained for hundreds (thousands?) of workhours won't buy many AmigaOS4.2 licenses .......and why should they?

cgutjahr 
Posted on 31-Jul-2012 1:27:34
#45 ]
Cult Member

@Troels

Quote:

Where did I say we didn't check Timberwolf?

I honestly don't see how anybody could have checked it and come to the conclusion that it's finished. And that ("finished") was the deal, not "the Friedens are nice guys" or "hundreds of man hours" or "nobody cares anyway, as long as we can brag we have Firefox".

As we don't know anybody from your "committee", perhaps you could relay some of their conclusions to us?

Quote:

A better description of the vpdf bounty will be up in a few days.

Thanks, but perhaps the bounty should be closed until then? Here's a list of things that should be in there IMHO: required OS version, are any features missing compared to MorphOS build, deadline, license of the port.

Quote:

Your rude remarks I think you should have just kept to yourself.

Kas1e just announced that he's going to open a new bounty for an update of his MUIOWB port. I think my remarks were spot on.

Quote:

we [...] WE [...] we [...] A project is considered completed once it has got the bounty committee's approval.

Allright, this is the fourth time I'm asking: Who is "we"? Who are the members of this fabled "committee" that decided that 7000 Euro of the community's money should be handed over?

Who?

Quote:

.......and why should they?

The bounty description does not mention that OS 4.2 will be required. The money has been paid already, now we find out that - oh, sorry - OS 4.2 is required.

Who's going to fix that? And how? Or are we going to pretend it never happened?

[Edit: typo]

Last edited by cgutjahr on 31-Jul-2012 at 01:31 AM.

Spectre660 
Posted on 31-Jul-2012 2:18:01
#46 ]
Elite Member

@cgutjahr

I am posting this from Timberwolf on a Sam 440ep-flex under OS 4.1 update 4.

Whst ever it is, dont smoke it all at once, it may causes delusions like the ones below.

Quote:
The bounty description does not mention that OS 4.2 will be required. The money has been paid already, now we find out that - oh, sorry - OS 4.2 is required. Who's going to fix that? And how? Or are we going to pretend it never happened?

Last edited by Spectre660 on 31-Jul-2012 at 02:18 AM.

sundown 
Posted on 31-Jul-2012 6:40:35
#47 ]
Elite Member

@cgutjahr

(Sarcasm mode on)
I've always found it very odd that anyone who takes on any job in our community fails every time. Why we always fail to pick the guy(s) that could always do it right is beyond me. How about some of you "perfect" guys taking on the next job, what ever it is. Flame me if you don't like me defending those who try, won't bother me in the least.
(Sarcasm mode off)

TW runs on update 5 just fine, it does need a bit more power then a SAM440 & more memory then a micro to work best, its not perfect, or is life.

Trixie 
Posted on 31-Jul-2012 11:59:56
#48 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@cgutjahr

I'm sure Troels has learnt his lesson from the Timberwolf and VPDF bounties, there's no need to stretch him on the rack. As for kas1e, he may be a trifle hot-blooded but you can't deny that his efforts help push things forward. When things go wrong, let's say what is wrong and strive for improvement, not shoot them off. Losing AmigaBounty and/or kas1e would be a community loss, not gain.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

cgutjahr 
Posted on 31-Jul-2012 14:27:03
#49 ]
Cult Member

@Trixie

Quote:

When things go wrong, let's say what is wrong and strive for improvement

That's the whole point - where did anybody admit that something went wrong? The only thing we got was Troels' remark re "a bit too early". We still don't know who made the decision (apparently, that's a secret), we still don't know why they made that decision, and Troels doesn't seem to be all that bothered by Timberwolf not being finished and actually requiring 4.2 to run - once hardware acceleration is implemented, a few years down the road.

Did anybody ever admit that this went pretty bad? I had already said my piece a few days ago and went on with my life - but then I came across the VPDF bounty yesterday. The bounty description repeats all the faults made in the Timberwolf project, the general bounty rules are still not updated to properly describe the process or the persons involved, and Troels posts his conclusion about how things went with Timberwolf: "it doesn't make much difference". How is any of this a sign of progress?

Amongst other things, Troels is currently responsible for three Sam460 systems that were financed by the community and handed out to developers. Do we write these off as collateral damage aswell, or is anybody actually having a look if these systems are used to produce useful stuff?

I know I'm hard on Troels, and I'm sorry about it - as I already said somewhere else, I have a lot of respect for his effort. But if AmigaBounty.net doesn't provide some sort of quality assurance, what are they needed for? Every developer has a paypal account these days - for just handing over money, we don't need another website.

Quote:

Losing AmigaBounty and/or kas1e would be a community loss, not gain.

That seems to be the common theme these days: "At least they're doing something". But if the quality of the results doesn't matter, why bother in the first place?

number6 
Posted on 31-Jul-2012 14:32:11
#50 ]
Elite Member

@cgutjahr

On the topic of h/w donations, they have not gone so well on a person to person level either.
How many years did the donated Micro languish on the Aladdin project? Too many.
I understand the donator holds no grudge, and had recently reclaimed the machine, but the results were similar from a community standpoint of hoping the donation might make a difference.

Seems like a reasonable place for me to make my 3rd request for a bounty to hire a project manager for Hyperion.

Last edited by number6 on 31-Jul-2012 at 02:34 PM.

Spectre660 
Posted on 31-Jul-2012 15:31:44
#51 ]
Elite Member

@cgutjahr

Can you please stop the 'Needs 4.2 to run" comments.

Posted from Timberwolf on a Sam 440ep-Flex 800Mhz Via VNC from a Windows XP machine.

OlafS25 
Posted on 31-Jul-2012 15:39:27
#52 ]
Elite Member

@Spectre660

'Needs 4.2 to run" does not necessary mean "needing 4.2. to run" but "needing 4.2. to run properly" (because of hardware acceleration, new drivers...)

samo79 
Posted on 31-Jul-2012 15:50:19
#53 ]
Elite Member

@cgutjahr

Quote:
That seems to be the common theme these days: "At least they're doing something". But if the quality of the results doesn't matter, why bother in the first place?

And surely you don't have any AmigaOS4 capable machine right ?

This become very clear after reading your latest statement and leaving all the usual blablabla comments, because if you have one you can check for yourself that all program ported by kas1e are already pretty usable, of course some bugs can still but nothing problematic, they are all very usable, more we use them pratically everyday ..

I can agree while you are talking about certain "mistakes" with AmigaBounty or other relating or nor relating project, yeah nothing is perfect on this world expecially on our small Amiga world .. but still .. it's not the end of the world, productivity is always mutch better than complain everythings for years

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

jorkany 
Posted on 31-Jul-2012 15:53:39
#54 ]
Cult Member

@number6,
Quote:
Seems like a reasonable place for me to make my 3rd request for a bounty to hire a project manager for Hyperion.

They already have one, Steve Solie.
I am surprised you did not know this, number6!

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=61555

number6 
Posted on 31-Jul-2012 15:56:43
#55 ]
Elite Member

@jorkany

Except that the post you quote is totally incorrect, yes.

"Steven Solie, project manager at Hyperions"

That is NOT his title.

Try:

Quote:
Steven Solie
AmigaOS Development Team Lead

Last edited by number6 on 31-Jul-2012 at 03:58 PM.

jorkany 
Posted on 31-Jul-2012 16:04:29
#56 ]
Cult Member

@number6,

Oh, well thanks for the clarification. I'm sure you're correct, but do you happen to have a source for that attribution? Because I thought that was Rogue's position at Hyperion.

Spectre660 
Posted on 31-Jul-2012 16:40:13
#57 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Its is not true if you use it in the general sense. It will run faster under 4.2 but does run under 4.1 .

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@Spectre660

'Needs 4.2 to run" does not necessary mean "needing 4.2. to run" but "needing 4.2. to run properly" (because of hardware acceleration, new drivers...)

OlafS25 
Posted on 31-Jul-2012 16:46:39
#58 ]
Elite Member

@Spectre660

In a general sense it is wrong that is true (in sense of it needs 4.2. to start)

Last edited by OlafS25 on 31-Jul-2012 at 04:47 PM.

number6 
Posted on 31-Jul-2012 16:47:00
#59 ]
Elite Member

@jorkany

Quote:
but do you happen to have a source for that attribution? Because I thought that was Rogue's position at Hyperion.

Virtually anywhere on the Hyperion blog.

http://blog.hyperion-entertainment.biz/

Derfs 
Posted on 31-Jul-2012 16:49:49
#60 ]
Cult Member

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:
@jorkany

Quote:
but do you happen to have a source for that attribution? Because I thought that was Rogue's position at Hyperion.

Virtually anywhere on the Hyperion blog.

http://blog.hyperion-entertainment.biz/

and also on the AmigaOS support forums as his signature on all posts

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle