Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
22 crawler(s) on-line.
 98 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

vox

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 vox:  1 min ago
 matthey:  39 mins ago
 kolla:  55 mins ago
 mbrantley:  57 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 FerruleMedia:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 Dragster:  1 hr 57 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Anubis OS restarted
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
ChrisH 
Re: Anubis OS restarted
Posted on 26-Sep-2012 9:27:37
#21 ]
Elite Member

What's the point in restarting a failed project? Perhaps they have a brain, and learnt from their failure last time? Thus improving the chances of success this time? (We can only hope.)

Profile     Report this post  
fishy_fis 
Posted on 26-Sep-2012 9:44:39
#22 ]
Elite Member

All jokes aside good luck with it.

Once/if anything interesting comes of it I'll be interested to have a look.

KimmoK 
Posted on 26-Sep-2012 9:46:30
#23 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH

They say that for any good thing, it's worth to fail many times, to eventually get it right and done.
As a matter of fact, without that we would not have any Amigalike OS today...

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

damocles 
Posted on 26-Sep-2012 13:05:35
#24 ]

@ChrisH

Quote:
What's the point in restarting a failed project? Perhaps they have a brain, and learnt from their failure last time? Thus improving the chances of success this time? (We can only hope.)

This appears to be a one man show as far as I know. It appears that none of the original project members have any association with Alex's anubis-OS.

edit: clarification

Last edited by damocles on 26-Sep-2012 at 01:27 PM.

utri007 
Posted on 26-Sep-2012 13:40:30
#25 ]

Most important now, would be to get aros running with native hardware in decent speed.

That would benefit many projects, like minimig, retroarcade, natami, etc. it would also be nice add to original commodore products with 040/060 cpu.

So I woun't see any point with this project. He is skilled coder, would be more benefit to community if he could use his talent with more "ready to run" projects.

Of course he decides himself how he spends his free time.

Last edited by utri007 on 26-Sep-2012 at 01:43 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 26-Sep-2012 14:10:17
#26 ]
Elite Member

@utri007

Quote:
He is skilled coder

is there any example of his skills to look at?

Arko 
Posted on 26-Sep-2012 19:46:49
#27 ]

@utri007

Quote:

utri007 wrote:
Most important now, would be to get aros running with native hardware in decent speed.

I don't understand you, AROS is running native with good speed on hardware faster than any other AmigaOID OS.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

wawa 
Posted on 26-Sep-2012 19:55:32
#28 ]
Elite Member

@Arko
frankly, aros has huge overheads in multiple aspects in comparison to aos on the same hardware. it is even noticeable on x86 even if not so evident. i dont know if this is possible to improve but i guess so. i dont think aros should become lazy on resources because hardware provides enough. i think economy and good optimization should be aros ambition and selling point.

utri007 
Posted on 27-Sep-2012 6:21:19
#29 ]

@Arko

Aros runs native PPC/x86/ARM/68k, but I didn't meant that.

It is bog slow with real 68k hardware.

Arko 
Posted on 27-Sep-2012 8:31:58
#30 ]

Quote:

utri007 wrote:
@Arko

Aros runs native PPC/x86/ARM/68k, but I didn't meant that.

The ARM versions are only Linux hosted and Anubis will not change anything there

Quote:
It is bog slow with real 68k hardware.

Well I think the Anubis project would not be any help. because it is more related to AROS hosted, and it may cut API compatibility to AOS3.x for a new API that would enable SMP and Memory protection. At least the old Anubis project was aiming in this direction and I don't know if there is any port for hosted AROS on 68k Linux/NetBSD.

Last edited by Arko on 27-Sep-2012 at 08:34 AM.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

amigadave 
Posted on 27-Sep-2012 10:52:53
#31 ]

@Arko

I thought Anubis was not supposed to be hosted on Linux, but instead built using a stripped down Linux kernel, only so it would have access to all the hardware drivers that are so difficult to write from scratch and what makes Linux attractive, because it can run on so many different kinds of hardware.

Then Anubis would be built like AROS has been built, but with the underlying support of all those Linux drivers, so it could run on almost anything and allow the programmers to only work on the parts that make it "Amiga-Like". Perhaps it would also allow the running of Linux programs with little or no modifications, so Anubis would have more software to choose from to run along side of the AROS software, just like AEROS, or Broadway. I don't know enough about AROS, or any of it's variants to speak for the people who do work on it and know the correct answers.

I hope that someone does succeed in creating a version of AROS that can leverage the Linux drivers and also let's us run Linux software along side of AROS software, so AROS is more useful. I don't care if it is called Anubis, AEROS, Broadway, or some other name that we haven't heard of yet. I just think that this type of AROS will be more useful for most of us than a native port of AROS without any of the Linux drivers, but like I have said many times before, I am a total Noob when it comes to AROS and many other people know better what state it is at right now and where it is going in the future.

As with any Open Source project, AROS is fracturing and going in several different directions, which weakens it, as programmers are pulled in different directions. I hope this is not the case and all the code that is being written for the different flavors of AROS, still benefit AROS as a whole.

wawa 
Posted on 27-Sep-2012 11:12:34
#32 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

Quote:
I hope that someone does succeed in creating a version of AROS that can leverage the Linux drivers and also let's us run Linux software along side of AROS software, so AROS is more useful. I don't care if it is called Anubis, AEROS, Broadway, or some other name that we haven't heard of yet. I just think that this type of AROS will be more useful for most of us than a native port of AROS without any of the Linux drivers, but like I have said many times before, I am a total Noob when it comes to AROS and many other people know better what state it is at right now and where it is going in the future.

just watch this space ;)

Quote:
As with any Open Source project, AROS is fracturing and going in several different directions, which weakens it, as programmers are pulled in different directions. I hope this is not the case and all the code that is being written for the different flavors of AROS, still benefit AROS as a whole.

diversity is not the weakness but the strength of aros. mostly same code being reused on all platforms, flexible and structured underlying concept..

amigadave 
Posted on 27-Sep-2012 11:18:12
#33 ]

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@amigadave
just watch this space ;)

I always do watch this space (even before I was a moderator here )

Quote:
diversity is not the weakness but the strength of aros. mostly same code being reused on all platforms, flexible and structured underlying concept..

I was hoping that the code was being reused between all the different forks of AROS and making it stronger, not weaker, but not knowing the people that are actively working on all of it, I did not know for sure.

aperezbios 
Posted on 1-Oct-2012 18:39:35
#34 ]

@Arko

Quote:

Arko wrote:
@Aslak3

Quote:

Aslak3 wrote:
I've never heard the kernel in an Android phone called the "Android kernel". ...

Yes, most of us know Android is using a Linux kernel.

But If I would try to setup AROS on an Android powered device, I would try to get the same Kernel with the same settings as used for the Android distribution running on this device. Maybe I would just bypass, stop (or delete) the Android specific parts running on this device.

Then I would still call it the "Android Kernel" because it was the kernel under Android.

This is admittedly a misnomer. The Android kernel *is* Linux, and as of kernel ~3.3, essentially all of the Android-specific -isms have become part of the mainline Linux tree. We will be utilizing some of the features of the Linux kernel which Android introduced to it, however.

To be clear: it will be x86_64 and ARM only (no legacy 32-bit x86) from the inception.

To the other individual who is asserting (without any evidence to tsupport them, as usual) that this is to be some sort of "re-skin" you are also completely incorrect.

If half as many people here could be arsed to ask specific questions instead of stating (misinformed) opinions, we'd all be better off. I'm happy to answer them.

Last edited by aperezbios on 01-Oct-2012 at 07:05 PM.

aperezbios 
Posted on 1-Oct-2012 18:48:11
#35 ]

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:

WolfToTheMoon wrote:
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=49928

http://code.google.com/p/anubis-os/

Quote:
An AmigaOS-inspired, modern OS, exclusively for ARM devices, including
Raspberry Pi, with an emphasis on ensuring usability on small form
factor and low power consumption devices, such as the Raspberry Pi
and Beagleboard. Anubis is to be based on the Android kernel (not OS),
which itself is a derivative of the standard Linux kernel, utilizing
userland code from AROS where appropriate. The kernel is and will
always be GPL, however userland will always remain AROS Public
License 1.1 compatible.
The kernel will be derived from the Linaro TinyAndroid Core Kernel

http://www.anubis-os.org/

Would be nice if it succeeded this time around.

Agreed. I was only peripherally involved with the project the first go-around, and the leadership there was one of the reasons behind its premature demise. Real life got in the way for the person who conceptualized the original project, and tried to bring it to fruition.

FYI, the description on the project page has been corrected to reflect actual intentions. Anubis will be for x86_64 and ARM devices. There will be no legacy X11 at all, in version 1.0; Linux's KMS will be used in conjunction with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayland_(display_server_protocol), instead, which builds atop use of the Linux http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_mode-setting. The end result will be a much more lightweight environment.

Last edited by aperezbios on 01-Oct-2012 at 07:18 PM.

aperezbios 
Posted on 1-Oct-2012 18:53:14
#36 ]

@Arko

Quote:

Arko wrote:
Topic Anubis restart:

I hope this Anubis restart is not bound to exotic programming languages like ObjC.

I hope it will be something more than a Linux hosted AROS would be, a new enhanced API and maybe Anubis could provide some nice ideas for touch-screen GUIs missing in current AmigaOId OSes .

If you think Objective-C is exotic, you are thoroughly misinformed. The programming language of the underlying operating system is not what makes the experience fundamentally good or bad.

As of July 2012, Objective-C has overtaken C++ to claim the third spot on the TIOBE index of popular programming languages, behind only C and Java. See this article at eWeek for further details.

Objective-C surely was once a niche language (it actually predates C++), but those days are long gone.

Last edited by aperezbios on 01-Oct-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Last edited by aperezbios on 01-Oct-2012 at 06:58 PM.

drstrangelove 
Posted on 21-Feb-2013 13:39:00
#37 ]

@all

Hello

Any news about this project ???

... I think maybe going on the right path ....

persia 
Posted on 23-Feb-2013 3:36:28
#38 ]

Anubis-OS: "Bringing the Amiga approach into the 21st century BC"

g_kraszewski 
Posted on 23-Feb-2013 8:10:57
#39 ]

@drstrangelove

1. Page on Google Code has no downloads, no wiki, and the project has only one member.
2. Google discussion group has only one post, with 6 answers.
3. The homepage of the project is still just a single image with a few words.
In my opinion the project is dead againg.

ChrisH 
Posted on 23-Feb-2013 10:53:02
#40 ]
Elite Member

@g_kraszewski
Sounds like he wasn't able to attract enough (any?) interest in reviving the project? If so then I can think of several reasons why...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle