Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 87 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

mbrantley

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 mbrantley:  18 secs ago
 Tpod:  5 mins ago
 michalsc:  34 mins ago
 number6:  58 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 Djk83:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs ago
 A1200:  3 hrs 10 mins ago
 vox:  3 hrs 24 mins ago
 Hypex:  3 hrs 39 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  AmiWest 2012 clarifications
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
PosterThread
cha05e90 
Re: AmiWest 2012 clarifications
Posted on 31-Oct-2012 18:03:52
#301 ]

@cgutjahr

What problem?

Profile     Report this post  
tommysammy 
Posted on 31-Oct-2012 18:05:22
#302 ]
Cult Member

@cha05e90

Quote:

cha05e90 wrote:
@cgutjahr

What problem?

His own problem

Paul 
Posted on 31-Oct-2012 18:38:08
#303 ]
Cult Member

@wawa

OOPS! Yah, what Spectre said. I meant AGP.

Paul

Paul 
Posted on 31-Oct-2012 18:41:01
#304 ]
Cult Member

@Spectre660

From that Hyperion thread:

Quote:
Your Aone does not have a USB and DMA Fix. Works only without the fixes.

Well, so much for that idea. I had the fixes done years ago.

Paul

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 31-Oct-2012 19:13:01
#305 ]
Elite Member

@Paul

What Hyperion tread? and what AmigaONE? SE, XE, Mini or X1000?

AmigaONE-XE has a DMA fix from eyeteeth, it was leaked.
AmigaONE-SE was not fixable.

AmigaONE-X1000 is a new design not based on the Eyetech hardware so does not need any fixing, only better and newer drivers.

The AmigaONE-XE fixes:

Note the DMA fix disables PCI66 port, it’s done by crossing two IRQ signals, I don’t think AGP grant work so it does make any difference one way or the other.

The USB fix is simple add missing pull down resistors to D+ and D- so that signal are set to legal signal level.

13 K ohm is written in guide, the normal value for pull down and pull down resister are 10 K ohm on 5VDC, so I think they put the higher values to be safe in the guide, should not make any difference.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 31-Oct-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 31-Oct-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 31-Oct-2012 at 07:13 PM.

Spectre660 
Posted on 31-Oct-2012 20:08:57
#306 ]
Elite Member

@

Wow. Some of the faithful are getting a little grumpy on Amigans.net .

Mirror mirror on the wall which is the best graphics card of them all ?

Paul 
Posted on 31-Oct-2012 21:53:41
#307 ]
Cult Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:
@Paul

What Hyperion tread?
and what AmigaONE?

hyperion thread

Quote:
SE, XE, Mini or X1000?

I have an XE. I had the fixes done by Kurt Grach a long time ago.

Quote:
The AmigaONE-XE fixes:

Note the DMA fix disables PCI66 port, it’s done by crossing two IRQ signals

OK. That supports what was said in that hyperion forum thread above. Leaves me out of the picture as far as using one of the newer Radeon cards in my XE.

Paul

Boot_WB 
Posted on 13-Mar-2013 16:22:35
#308 ]

@ssolie

Quote:

Quote:
boot_wb wrote:
@ssolie

I appreciate you're in a difficult spot here Steven (public face, but not deciding what info to release), but this is the position you've accepted as project lead and PR spokesperson for Hyperion.
Imho, customers who have paid out $3K+ for a new system deserve better than "Err, yeah. No comment. haha" with regard to when those systems will be fully supported.
As PR person, I would think that you should be demanding the same within Hyperion.

As a former OS4 user (and prospective future one) this lack of communication informs my purchasing decisions with respect to the netboook. If I'd not moved jobs 3 years ago (when X1K betatester program was starting) I would have been one of the X1K betatesters/customers.

Tranparency in what is being worked on would help a lot. People understand that projects get delayed, reworked, and take time. This is life. Yes, there'll be criticism on the forums, but to paraphrase one of the Frieden brothers "I don't see the problem. If you don't like it, don't read it."

So far we have had talk of Warp3D for RadeonHD and a LibreOffice port (both from A-Eon).

What, if anything, was actually announced/presented/shown by Hyperion?
What did Hyperion bring to the party this year?

Aside from:
Where is the netbook?
What is the progress on SMP (ETA for release?)?
What is the progress on Gallium (ETA for release?)?
What is the progress on supporting the X1000 onboard peripherals?

I think we'd all like to know:
What is Hyperion concentrating on wrt OS4.x?
What responsibilities have been farmed out to OEMs? (eg on-board peripheral driver support)
This would help users to focus their expectations on the correct parties (ie no point asking Hyperion for driver support if ACube/A-Eon are responsible for development).
This would also give users a REALISTIC idea of where development is going, and in which areas to expect improvement over time.

Also, where is the netbook? The silence is deafening on that one.

Given the above, unless there is full support for the Netbook hardware at the time of release, I don't think I'll be bothering.
Waiting around in an information void for a couple of years on half-hearted empty promises of support from Hyperion (Sam460, X1000) doesn't sound much like "when computing was fun" to me.

Sorry, but that's the state of play as I see it at the moment, and I'd rather be honest about how I see things (with the hope that this will be informative) than politely not mention the elephant in the room.

@Boot_WB
You have a lot of questions. I'm going to answer them all by focusing on releasing working software and new products.

Project stakeholders control the progress reports, etc. so I can only divulge what I am allowed to. That said, I am always looking for ways to satisfy the stakeholders and relese more information at the same time.

@SSolie

So, within less than a month it was common (if insider) knowledge that the Netbook was dead (as per the date of Mikey_C's posting on Amigans)...

I now fully appreciate the level of 'honesty' shown in your answer Steven. I've learned my lesson, and won't bother asking any more questions of yourself or Hyperion.

@Hyperion

You know that 'information void' I mentioned above?

You've had at least 4 months to update people about this (aka "managing your customers' expectations") and have just kept an embarrassed silence. The identical silences over SMP, Gallium, and drivers for (as-yet unsupported) X1000 on-board peripherals aren't exactly encouraging in light of this.

Advertise when you have a product for sale - IF I notice it I'll gauge my level of interest, and trust in Hyperion wrt product support, and make my decision from there.

Regards

Rich (Another potential OS4 customer giving up in disgust)

number6 
Posted on 13-Mar-2013 20:56:52
#309 ]
Elite Member

@Boot_WB

Quote:
(Another potential OS4 customer giving up in disgust)

Sorry to hear this Rich. You just welcomed be back, which I very much appreciated and I thought we were going to get to converse again.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 13-Mar-2013 21:47:40
#310 ]

@number6

Thanks #6. I'll still be posting, I just give up on Hyperion.

I can understand the desire for 'new' OS4 hardware.
I can understand the resultantly expensive pricetag.
I can even understand the slow pace of development and need for fresh versions every now and again.

I just can't understand this self-destructive head-in-the-sand approach to dealing with the community. If they'd have said "sorry guys, netbook's cancelled, can't go into too much detail, but here's the basics..." there'd have been the usual crap, but it would have been honest at least.

Posting such 'misleading' statements followed by silence for 4-months after is a lie.

I'll check out Amigakit's 'OS4 hardware' section for hardware news from now on I think, since anything else appears to be rumour. :-/

lylehaze 
Posted on 13-Mar-2013 23:30:34
#311 ]

@Boot_WB

Sorry you're having a bad day.

The Amiga brand has had it's share of disappointments throughout its history.
By now most of the remaining people have learned that we won't always get
whatever we want, and that the companies involved don't always do what
some of their customers think they should.

But I'm a bit confused by parts of your rant. You say that there aren't enough
announcements, then go right on to say that they should not make any
announcement before a release. I think you're arguing for both sides there.

In the end it doesn't much matter, because the companies involved will make
their decisions without seeking input from forum members.

Quote:
I'll check out Amigakit's 'OS4 hardware' section for hardware news from now on I think,

It may be different in your part of the world, but when I look under OS4 Hardware I just
see keyboards and mice. Take that as the only truth if you wish, but I personally believe
that SAM and X1000 computers might be real.

wawa 
Posted on 13-Mar-2013 23:32:08
#312 ]
Elite Member

@Boot_WB

mm. actually even me, i should belong to the os4 target audience. the source-continuous development counts for me as a sort of argument. i always considered amiga to be "different" unique hardware. i dont particularly like x86 nor consider pc standards tp be a must if there were alternatives. i observe that propriertary software usualy performs better than open source equivalents. id like there was an amiga brand. i even kinda liked the joyous (as i thought) attempt on mystery surrounding the x1k release initially. if i thought deeper there wuold likely be even more to mention..

though step by step facing the reality of the situation i had to reconsider everything, get clear about the essentialns and priorities. i still can understand initial dedication for os4 very well. what i cannot understand is keeping up hopes and loyality after all these years of particular procedere. today, in context of what repeatedly happened until now, i hardly expect any action being able to convince me again..

Comi 
Posted on 13-Mar-2013 23:40:11
#313 ]
Cult Member

@Boot_WB

Quote:
I'll check out Amigakit's 'OS4 hardware' section for hardware news from now on I think, since anything else appears to be rumour. :-/

SSolie/Hyperion need to made some clarifications about situation. Amiwest aproach on info report is on level of scandal..Unprofesional, even in hoby computing..
I accepting slow development but hiding something even it is canceled development of hardware annonced over two years ago is "Elbox style" of work (announce something, delayed it, hide it to get time or sale of other products, or mislead costumers to buy or wait your product if rivals have similar offers )
In this case port of MorphOS 3.0 to portable computers..and so on...
All glory and reputation deserved with OS4.x development and ports to various hardware (Pegasos, SAM'S X1000) now is on ice...

ACube and AEon have decent aproach in communications.

Last edited by Comi on 13-Mar-2013 at 11:51 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 13-Mar-2013 23:42:13
#314 ]
Elite Member

@lylehaze

Quote:
the companies involved don't always do what some of their customers think they should

Quote:
In the end it doesn't much matter, because the companies involved will make their decisions without seeking input from forum members.

this is fine with me. but the customers will usually make their choices based on companies actions. blind loyality is what you may demand from members of a sect, and it will not be healthy for them.

A1200 
Posted on 14-Mar-2013 0:40:47
#315 ]
Elite Member

@cgutjahr

This pretty much speaks the truth when it comes to any plans to make the Amiga or an Amiga like OS onto affordable hardware. It would be the culmination of years of "why can't I run OS4 on a 300 dollar PC", ok so the idea was based on AROS but Amiga to many would be whatever the dominant flavour is at the time. That's to the outside world, not the lawyers and people who have fought hard to keep the IP in their hands.

I have too many people I have come to like/admire in all camps to jump to one opinion or another on the best thing to do for the future and so I just would say that if we the users/potential users weren't so hardware centric, the people with money wouldn't be basing so much investment around hardware and would be putting money into hardcore coding which is on everyone's wish list, whichever "camp" you are in.

Quote:

cgutjahr wrote:
@_ThEcRoW

Quote:

I'm wondering why still are people defending hyperion.

I love bashing Ben Hermans as much as the next guy, but perhaps we should all take a few steps back and look at the scenario that clusteruk describes:

The Raspberry Pi guys might be interested in having AROS ported to their device. The logical thing to do would be to check if some devs would be willing to work on such a port, open a bounty and then tell the Pi guys to donate to said bounty. That kind of stuff happens all the time (e.g. Efika MX) and Hyperion never complained, as far as we know.

No need for clusteruk to get his hands dirty - he's not a developer and wouldn't have much to contribute to such a port anyway. But instead, he comes up with an ingenious plan to (allegedly) promote AmigaOS using an AROS port to the ARM based Pi...

Seriously? Promoting a commercial OS only running on very obscure and expensive PPC hardware by porting a different, open source OS to extremely cheap ARM based hardware? That's one of the most ridiculous ideas I have heard recently (and as I'm reading Amiga forums every day, I hear lots of ridiculous ideas all the time). To add insult to injury, his definition of "promotion" would have been to clone the other OS' user interface? As in: "this is for free, runs on hardware for USD 30 and looks and feels like OS4 - but really, we're just promoting the USD 120 OS4, which runs on hardware which costs you at least USD 1000 "? Yeah, that's one hell of a promotion.

I don't care much for Ben Hermans, but that idiotic plan deserved to get shot down. AROS has been doing fine without any wannabe executives for quite a long time, I wonder why anybody would think changing that would be a good idea.

(Edit: typos)

Crumb 
Posted on 14-Mar-2013 20:15:51
#316 ]
Elite Member

@Boot_WB

Didn't you read "interesting" Ssolie comments in MorphZone? What did you expect from him

Since Moana was cancelled it's clear Hyperion doesn't have much interest in expanding OS4 user base

wawa 
Posted on 14-Mar-2013 20:27:28
#317 ]
Elite Member

@Crumb

Quote:

Didn't you read "interesting" Ssolie comments in MorphZone? What did you expect from him

Since Moana was cancelled it's clear Hyperion doesn't have much interest in expanding OS4 user base

what for? according to him they have 10.000 users, thats about enough.

sundown 
Posted on 14-Mar-2013 20:49:02
#318 ]
Elite Member

@wawa & Crumb

Now you 2 are trolling.....

I've heard the netbook was dead, I've heard it was still alive, but after 17 months, its vapor to me. I agree that Hyperion should say something at this point, even if it generates more bitching.

Ssolie's just the fall guy, it was Ben who told him to make the announcment, at the last minute.

damocles 
Posted on 14-Mar-2013 21:06:37
#319 ]

@sundown

Quote:
Ssolie's just the fall guy, it was Ben who told him to make the announcment, at the last minute.

Perhaps Ben should be making a public statement about this issue to clarify what has and what is happening.

vox 
Posted on 14-Mar-2013 21:08:00
#320 ]
Elite Member

@Boot_WB

Quote:
I just can't understand this self-destructive head-in-the-sand approach to dealing with the community. If they'd have said "sorry guys, netbook's cancelled, can't go into too much detail, but here's the basics..." there'd have been the usual crap, but it would have been honest at least.

Well, its not just AmigaOS port it seems Lime netbook for itself disappeared as hardware, so it would be honest to say e.g. "there is no target hardware avail - full forces to AmigaOS 4.2 and full current hardware support, sorry guys, we will try some mobile platform if avail in the future".

Off course, after so long queque people got idea its dead. After all, this uniqe 500$ item ebay sale , reminds us its already becomes "collectors item", even it was originally and not so long ago, $199.

Just wondering how much would one dual booting to AmigaOS beta be worth

Things overall in Amigaworld go slow - e.g. both G5 and SAM 460 ports of MorphOS 3 are not avail yet, but again, at least some public statements on its states of affairs are made.

On another issue: wasnt it early in X1000 stage that it was promised Linux could be kind of run on another core from like AmigaOS? Or I just misinterpreted it?

Last edited by vox on 14-Mar-2013 at 09:09 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle