Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 106 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  1 secs ago
 vox:  19 mins ago
 zipper:  22 mins ago
 kolla:  29 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  43 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 59 mins ago
 Frank:  2 hrs 44 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  AmiWest 2012 clarifications
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
PosterThread
wawa 
Re: AmiWest 2012 clarifications
Posted on 14-Mar-2013 21:13:19
#321 ]
Elite Member

@sundown

Quote:
Now you 2 are trolling.....

okay, okay, admitted, we are trolling as always..

Quote:
I've heard the netbook was dead, I've heard it was still alive, but after 17 months, its vapor to me. I agree that Hyperion should say something at this point, even if it generates more bitching.

oh are we talking about the notebook again? okay, i thoght that one is settled by now.

Quote:
Ssolie's just the fall guy, it was Ben who told him to make the announcment, at the last minute.

very likely, but he repeatedly made a number of other statements, many of them rather questionable. you still find all of them trustworthy, apparently, except that one abut the netbook?

Profile     Report this post  
wawa 
Posted on 14-Mar-2013 21:23:31
#322 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:
so it would be honest to say e.g. "there is no target hardware avail - full forces to AmigaOS 4.2 and full current hardware support, sorry guys, we will try some mobile platform if avail in the future".

why dont you apply to take over the position of os4 spokesperson if you know so well what is going on?

Quote:
Off course, after so long queque people got idea its dead.

some people needed quite long for that, thats right. there are some possibly who still think its only delayed.

Quote:
both G5 and SAM 460 ports of MorphOS 3 are not avail yet, but again

right. the g5 bounty deadline has not been met i guess. this has to be clarified, but there were pretty regular and extensive updates on the state of affairs, so i trust its being just ironed out before the release or is going to be released with mos3.2, and its the other devs contributions they are waiting for.

Quote:
On another issue: wasnt it early in X1000 stage that it was promised Linux could be kind of run on another core from like AmigaOS? Or I just misinterpreted it?

well, i guess you just hit the nail. it was left free to you to misinterprete it at will and you took full advantage of this freedom, like others did.

Last edited by wawa on 14-Mar-2013 at 09:25 PM.

vox 
Posted on 14-Mar-2013 21:40:03
#323 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
why dont you apply to take over the position of os4 spokesperson if you know so well what is going on?

No I don`t but its a fact LimeBook is generally unavailable.

Quote:
well, i guess you just hit the nail. it was left free to you to misinterprete it at will and you took full advantage of this freedom, like others did.

AmigaOne X1000 Amiwest 2010 Part 2

rewind to 10:56-11:10

Quote:
right. the g5 bounty deadline has not been met i guess. this has to be clarified, but there were pretty regular and extensive updates on the state of affairs, so i trust its being just ironed out before the release or is going to be released with mos3.2, and its the other devs contributions they are waiting for.

While G5 will offer dream high end for MOS users, it will be great to have another dual boot MOS-OS4 system SAM 460

wawa 
Posted on 14-Mar-2013 21:51:42
#324 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:
AmigaOne X1000 Amiwest 2010 Part 2

oh, thanks i stand corrected, its perfectly possible to run os4 on one core and linux on another. it isnt just your invention. the misunderstanding probably is that you have to reboot between them, otherwise some proof that it works without reboot must have leaked to public within last two and a half years.

edit: btw the idea sounds quite orthodox to me anyway. i have an i7 here and ive never heard of a way to run different systems on different cores in parallel, except in virtual machine. but maybe its just me.

Quote:
While G5 will offer dream high end for MOS users, it will be great to have another dual boot MOS-OS4 system SAM 460

who knows.. it was comissioned by acube i think, not actually by mos team. maybe there just wasnt enough interest. i think there isnt much on aros port either. however why not enquire if you are concerned?

Last edited by wawa on 14-Mar-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Last edited by wawa on 14-Mar-2013 at 09:52 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 14-Mar-2013 22:24:46
#325 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Well thats how Hyper visor works, its provides visualization of the hardware, it not emulation of CPU cores.

You need some software to support it, you need some iommu drivers I belive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOMMU

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 14-Mar-2013 at 10:25 PM.

vox 
Posted on 14-Mar-2013 22:29:56
#326 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
edit: btw the idea sounds quite orthodox to me anyway. i have an i7 here and ive never heard of a way to run different systems on different cores in parallel, except in virtual machine. but maybe its just me.

Even in virtual box it would spare us of installing another OS or rebooting. I am sure X1000 users would appreciate it, but beside this wet dream mentioning, never heard anything official.

Just hoping they will not do these things again.

Not to be too negative, having Hyperion Blog and Support forum helps a lot, and that is something
AROS and MorphOS teams should have too.

These days OpenSource community of Serbia has joined strengths of weak and small Linuxish communities to one forum and it would be great to have such central for Amiga related stuff, even Amigaworld is closest to it now.

Quote:
who knows.. it was comissioned by acube i think, not actually by mos team. maybe there just wasnt enough interest. i think there isnt much on aros port either. however why not enquire if you are concerned?

On MorphZone SAM 440, SAM 460 and X1000 are not seen as viable platforms, but it cannot hurt MorphOS community to have it avail for SAM. First, it would be nice to have new hardware even expensive one, and second AmigaoS 4 users will be able to test it for itself

My sadness is that MOS team kind of refused (if I understand it correctly) a Nemo board for porting purposes. Also I dont understand how can MOS users claim SMP is impossible when MOS was
supposed to aim to it from beginning
while Hyperion MP claimed AmigaOS is amining to it even before X1000

Acube guys are great and I have no doubt they will finalize it, as they did with Linux and AROS.
More options cant hurt and can be great for ending Blue - Red wars.

sundown 
Posted on 14-Mar-2013 22:51:23
#327 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

Quote:
Perhaps Ben should be making a public statement about this issue to clarify what has and what is happening.

I would agree with that, but not holding my breath.

lylehaze 
Posted on 14-Mar-2013 22:58:37
#328 ]

@wawa

Quote:
but the customers will usually make their choices based on companies actions. blind loyality is what you may demand from members of a sect, and it will not be healthy for them.

I think your example is a bit extreme.
Of course customers will make decisions based on a companies policies.
I own two Chevrolets, and I am happy with both of them (probably because they are built from Toyota parts).

On the opposite side, I will no longer purchase from Sony, because I know what a rootkit is. (if that doesn't make sense, google "Sony rootkit" and learn something about how to lose customers)

But in neither case did I EVER advise Chevy or Sony that they should change their way of doing business to whatever I think they should do. And even if I thought, in my wildest dreams, that they were going to change their business model to suit my opinion, I would NOT post it to them by way of a public forum.

sundown 
Posted on 14-Mar-2013 23:22:19
#329 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
very likely, but he repeatedly made a number of other statements, many of them rather questionable. you still find all of them trustworthy, apparently, except that one abut the netbook?

What I believe won't change anything. I go to Amiwest, I enjoy having a few beers with my friends & the good times we share. We all hope plans made pan out, I enjoy the ones that do, but not going to cry over those that don't.

saimon69 
Posted on 14-Mar-2013 23:27:33
#330 ]

@sundown

to do that i should not go all the way to Sacramento :( Wish somebody make some kind of event again in so-cal

[edit] Forgot CommVEx but usually is in a time of the year that is busy for me

Last edited by saimon69 on 14-Mar-2013 at 11:28 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 14-Mar-2013 23:30:43
#331 ]
Elite Member

@lylehaze
i dont have a car so let me answer with a computer related analogy. i had a **** notebook, same as my friend, initially seemed to be a good gear, but soon it developed some failure, same one in my and my friends case, just after the warranty ended. browsing public forums i found many users were reffering to this problem as obvious construction issue. this publicity has forced sony to take care of the case, even though the warranty was void, and we have got board reworks or replacement. the notbooks failed later again in the very same way. i have ceased to buy **** products as well, but internet and exactly talking of problems on forums (which you question) let us, the customers, have our satisfaction to certain extent. would you prefer us staying silent and blame ourselves?

now, we dont have to do with sony here. actually the whole current is build upon the system of imaginary loyalities, as you are being supposed to be "true supporter" and stuff. even though there is no comparison to normal market and we dont have to do with the usual customers alas, i think suppporters (not me, im not one of them anymore) have some right to make demands for their support. and finally, real companies like sony have actually staff to develop some business plan, and they do market research. in our reality there obviously is neither capacities nor competence to do that, so dealing with fans expectations wouldnt be the wrong thing, except you would have frankly to admit, you will not be able to fulfill their simplest wishes.

wawa 
Posted on 14-Mar-2013 23:41:26
#332 ]
Elite Member

@sundown

Quote:
What I believe won't change anything.

thats a very fatalistic and resignative attitude. im certain that as soon as you realize that you actions (among others) have some significance you could move something.

Quote:
I go to Amiwest, I enjoy having a few beers with my friends & the good times we share.

is that all? i can go and meet anybody in a pub, have some beers and a good time, but what has that to do with amiga? i hope there is more to your passion than drinking.

Quote:
We all hope plans made pan out, I enjoy the ones that do, but not going to cry over those that don't.

well, i dont go drink beers with neither amigans nor other computer fans. in fact i hardly met any of them face to face, and when i did it wasnt usually very exciting. but i feel free to talk about amiga on forums and os4 is part of this alas.

Last edited by wawa on 14-Mar-2013 at 11:41 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 14-Mar-2013 23:47:49
#333 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:
On MorphZone SAM 440, SAM 460 and X1000 are not seen as viable platforms, but it cannot hurt MorphOS community to have it avail for SAM.

it can hurt them working on other projects. you are being selfish. if you want mos so badly go and buy a cheap mac, why does it need to be sam or x1k?

Quote:
My sadness is that MOS team kind of refused (if I understand it correctly) a Nemo board for porting purposes. Also I dont understand how can MOS users claim SMP is impossible when MOS was supposed to aim to it from beginning while Hyperion MP claimed AmigaOS is amining to it even before X1000

it isnt for me to judge, is this possible or not. we will see. but i doubt os4 or morphos will be first to achieve this. and morphos team is franbk about it. again, lets wait and see if time proves me wrong.

Last edited by wawa on 14-Mar-2013 at 11:48 PM.

number6 
Posted on 16-Mar-2013 15:09:59
#334 ]
Elite Member

@thread

I've never seen so many conclusions based on misinterpretations of facts.

Since I've never been a spokesperson for anyone, I don't expect any of you to believe me. But you can draw your own conclusions for yourself.
Replay the a/v file with Trevor and Ben from AmiWest 2010.
You should hear Ben mentioning what I've mentioned many times...the so called "non-agression" pact with AI. He even had to refer to them without mentioning either company or personal names. If you're still not getting this, I'll repeat that you won't get any details about certain issues, because that would be a violation of the settlement agreement.

For AROS and open source supporters, you really need to understand this has more to do with just what you think Hyperion should be doing...

John Grzymala was responsible for at Itec LLC. Whereas John looked after the affairs of Pentti Kouri through:

Quote:
Itec LLC Family Office - November 1988 - January 2010 (21 years 3 months)

this has fallen in the hands of LWT and Mark G. Pedretti. Reed Smith=Mark G. Pedretti in this case. You can be sure they watch for any perceived violations of the settlement agreement and will pounce at the opportunity.

So, in closing, those of you who think Hyperion has complete freedom to do what they choose...think again. Hope this helps.

wawa 
Posted on 16-Mar-2013 15:30:20
#335 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Quote:
For AROS and open source supporters, you really need to understand this has more to do with just what you think Hyperion should be doing...

Quote:
So, in closing, those of you who think Hyperion has complete freedom to do what they choose...think again. Hope this helps.

no, we understand this (just too well).. this is a trade off pat situation from the start with. the hostages are taken and the hands are bound and this is just one more reason to keep a distance to the whole mess.

im not even trying to bind the issue to individuals, characters or blame someone personally. it is the whole situation that is rotten. the minor problem is, the settlement has been portrayed as a ultimative victory, the start in a new era opening possibilities with almost no limits and this isnt the case you wrote and as many see, alas not all.

deadwood 
Posted on 16-Mar-2013 20:13:12
#336 ]

@number6

Quote:
For AROS and open source supporters

Please don't mix AROS into this - it has nothing to do with the context of your post.

number6 
Posted on 28-May-2013 0:21:27
#337 ]
Elite Member

@Phantom

Quote:
I read on another thread here that the netbook project is still under progress. Are there more details news about that?

Not unless they are looking at a different option than they first did.

£500 per unit in units of 1000 seems to have put the lid on the limebook.

vox 
Posted on 28-May-2013 14:08:52
#338 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
im not even trying to bind the issue to individuals, characters or blame someone personally. it is the whole situation that is rotten. the minor problem is, the settlement has been portrayed as a ultimative victory, the start in a new era opening possibilities with almost no limits and this isnt the case you wrote and as many see, alas not all.

Beside non aggression statement, I don`t see what kind of limits Hyperion has, beside its own limitations: they have full rights to AmigaOS and AmigaOne brand line without any contact or approval of Amiga Inc. If I do remember well, Amiga Inc did promised new PPC boards with ACK that were to be accessible and powerful, but this vanished without trace or even a prototype.

Only surprise was Amiga Inc selling name license - that that has alone market (or it doesn`t?) and ability to license Amiga games to smartphones (or in other words to create products out of nothing to keep itself alive).

wawa 
Posted on 28-May-2013 15:30:44
#339 ]
Elite Member

@vox
Quote:
Beside non aggression statement, I don`t see what kind of limits Hyperion has, beside its own limitations

lemme redirect you to the post #334 by number6 just above;
Quote:

ssolie 
Posted on 28-May-2013 17:37:40
#340 ]
Elite Member

@number6
The official word from Hyperion is that the original Netbook project is on hold. Nothing has changed yet.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle