Just what you need when it's time to get serious - Brownies. No, not the kind that come around to flog you cookies or build campfires in the woods (you sicko perv,) there are the kind YOU decide what to add-in. So, chocolate chips or walnuts or both, that Christmas chocolate no one scarfs until it's all that's left, marshmallows, Reese's Pieces. Up to you. Just don't blame me if you'll be getting larger jogging bottoms, these are addictive.
Let's Fight Over These Brownies
SERVES 16 (Yeah, right, who am I kidding?)
If you follow recipes by weight (Europe, UK, OZ) use the amount in parenthesis.
* 1 cup / 2 sticks (227g) Butter, melted
* 1 cup (118g) unsweetened Cocoa
* 2 cup (450g) granulated Sugar
* 4 Eggs
* 4 teaspoons Vanilla
* 1 cup (125g) all-purpose/plain Flour
* 1/2 teaspoon Salt (not Lo-Salt)
Your choice of additional components (which totals up to 4 cups by volume. No cup? Use a large teacup or smaller mug to measure. Unlike some threads, this recipe is very forgiving.)
1 -2 cup chocolate chips (milk, semi-sweet, white, butterscotch, peanut butter)
1 -2 cup Andes Mint Chips
1 -2 cup raisins
1 -2 cup chopped maraschino cherry or drained cherry pie filling
1 -2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1 - 2 cup Maltesers
1 -2 cup M&M's
1 -2 cup Reese's pieces
1 -2 cup miniature marshmallows
1/2 - 1 cup shredded coconut
1. Preheat oven to 350°F / 180°C.
2. Grease an 9"x13" glass rectangular baking dish, (like the kind you use for lasagne,) or line baking dish with foil. Or use two 8"x8" metal or ceramic pans.
3. In a large bowl combine melted butter and cocoa and stir with a wooden spoon until cocoa is dissolved.
4. Add sugar and mix well.
5. Add eggs one at a time and stir until well combined.
6. Stir in vanilla, flour and salt until you no longer see any flour (do NOT overmix, it should be a bit lumpy and not smooth like cake batter.)
7. Fold in your add-ins.
(You can also do all this in an electric stand mixer, as I do, just make sure not to overmix.)
8. Spread in prepared pan and bake for approximately 30-40 minutes. If you use two smaller pans instead of the one large pan, the baking time is 20-25 mins.
9. DO NOT OVER-BAKE -- your brownies will come out dry. Adjust time/temp accordingly for your oven. If you do the knife/toothpick test, it should come out with moist crumbs, not clean.
10. Cool completely before cutting into squares.
11. For vegetarian omit the marshmallows.
For Macaroon topping: Sprinkle a thickish layer of coconut over the top before baking, then pour over a full can of Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk. Bake. You made need an additional 5-10 minutes extra of baking time.
For Cheesecake topping: 2 x 8 oz pkgs (450g) Philadelphia cream cheese, softened, 2 teaspoons vanilla, 1 cup (225g) sugar and 2 eggs. Stir together cream cheese, vanilla and sugar until combined then add eggs one at a time, beating until smooth. Spread over the top and bake. You made need an additional 5-10 minutes extra of baking time. This puffs up slightly like a cheesecake.
Any questions? Just ask. And I hope you enjoy, I think these are awesome.
¤¤ Official Hyperion Zealot ¤¤
(No, I didn't type that with a straight face.)