Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 138 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Musashi5150

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Musashi5150:  2 mins ago
 Rob:  20 mins ago
 cdimauro:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 retrofaza:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 48 mins ago
 Hypex:  2 hrs 54 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 55 mins ago
 Seiya:  5 hrs 43 mins ago
 matthey:  6 hrs 4 mins ago
 vox:  7 hrs 19 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Evert Carton speaks About Cooperation
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
cgutjahr 
Re: Evert Carton speaks
Posted on 6-Apr-2013 19:38:56
#61 ]
Cult Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

Okay there is two possibilities

Evert already gave you a way to check his identity ("whois letshavealook.info") - the person posting here is indeed called Evert Carton, period.

If you honestly doubt it's the right Evert Carton, it would be polite to discuss that in a new thread, so the less paranoid amongst us can continue our discussion in here. Thank you.

Profile     Report this post  
Darrin 
Posted on 6-Apr-2013 20:26:59
#62 ]
Team Member

Can we all get back on topic? I believe the subject being discussed was SIM ANT and how I had to buy a memory expansion and a flicker fixer to play the Hi-Res version.

Derfs 
Posted on 6-Apr-2013 20:42:24
#63 ]
Cult Member

@Darrin

Quote:

Darrin wrote:
Can we all get back on topic? I believe the subject being discussed was SIM ANT and how I had to buy a memory expansion and a flicker fixer to play the Hi-Res version.

oh Darrin, don't ever change :)

Rudei 
Posted on 6-Apr-2013 20:42:44
#64 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:
@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
I never seen I talk about anything on any of events

Mag Bash

Quote:
Today, 27 Sept, Evert Carton has emailed to let us know that he will be coming to the UK to attend the MAG UK event!

Maybe he's just not as loud about what he does?

Yep he definitely exists, I stood next to him during the presentations at said MAG bash.

Rude!

Troels 
Posted on 6-Apr-2013 20:47:45
#65 ]
Elite Member

@Rudei
Quote:
Yep he definitely exists, I stood next to him during the presentations at said MAG bash.

How can you be sure it really was him you stood next to? Or has this been addressed already?;)

Rudei 
Posted on 6-Apr-2013 22:23:30
#66 ]
Elite Member

@Troels

Quote:

Troels wrote:
@Rudei
Quote:

How can you be sure it really was him you stood next to? Or has this been addressed already?;)

Because he was introduced to me as Evert Carton

Rude!

persia 
Posted on 6-Apr-2013 22:43:40
#67 ]

@Rudei

But it might have been a conspiracy to convince you that Canton exists.

OlafS25 
Posted on 6-Apr-2013 23:34:23
#68 ]
Elite Member

@persia

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 7-Apr-2013 4:10:06
#69 ]
Elite Member

@Cgutjahr and Darrin

I agree this pointless, yes lets get back to topic.

No one can convince me that its even Event Carton except Evert Carton him self, it really does not matter if some one has seen or taked to Evert Carton, I'm not despiting if he exists or not in flesh and blood, I'm just wonder how every ene can 100% sure its him who created the account and is using it, I can easily create hotmail account here and sign up and say that I'm former president of the united states, are you every one automatically going to belive I'm the former president if I say so? Are people that naive.

@persia

Yes but did he see jorit2?

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 07-Apr-2013 at 04:28 AM.

Darrin 
Posted on 7-Apr-2013 4:29:18
#70 ]
Team Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

I want to know who jorit1 is and what did jorit2 do with the body!

jorit2 
Posted on 7-Apr-2013 6:38:42
#71 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

This is my final attempt. If this fails, I will just have to spend the rest of my days knowing that Kjetil Hvalstrand does not believe me ...

Everyone can just create a hotmail account ... that's true.

But I didn't just create a hotmail account.

I post a message as jorit2 with an original image, clearly manipulated and edited for the intent of this post, an image that I do host on my own little server, meaning I did also publish the image on that server. It means that whoever jorit2 is, he must at least have access to the letshavealook.info server.

The whois database, an official registry of Internet domain names, allows you to verify who is behind the letshavealook.info domain and hence server.

If you look, if you query the whois database, you will see that it is no other than Evert Carton. So either jorit2 is indeed Evert Carton or Evert Carton granted jorit2 access to the server. I cannot see why Evert Carton would grant access to jorit2 if jorit2 is not simply Evert Carton himself or they have a lot of common interests. Sure Evert Carton would not grant access to somebody who would just want to impersonate Evert Carton.

So I offered you a way to verify, by an official registry, who is hosting the image that is used in the post by jorit2, and the official registry tells you that the image used in the post, is hosted by Evert Carton.

On the other hand, even if I was not the real Evert Carton, I could still create a YouTube account called evertcarton and post some video, everybody could ... There is no guarantee whatsoever that the account on youtube called evertcarton would indeed be held by Evert Carton.

The whois database, being an official registry, offers you more solid proof, or a least a much stronger indication, than a YouTube video would ...

And therefore: I'm not gonna post a YouTube video

Let's turn the argument around ...

How do I know that you are indeed Kjetil Hvalstrand ?
You claim in your sig that you're the author of amigainputanywhere, among others, but the author of amigainputanywhere is as far as I know a guy called Kjetil Hvalstrand, somewhere in Norway.
How do I know it's you ? How do I know that nutsaboutamiga is indeed Kjetil Hvalstrand ?
I don't see an email-address, I don't see a phone number in your profile here, I haven't even seen nutsaboutamiga mentioning his real full name. All I see is you mention Kjetil as your real name. But anyone could make a profile here and mention Kjetil as his real name.

There's no way I would ever use amigainputanywhere if i can't at least trust the author or whoever claims to be the author. i would have to be nutsaboutamigainputanywhere !!

Last edited by jorit2 on 07-Apr-2013 at 06:48 AM.

jorit2 
Posted on 7-Apr-2013 6:39:40
#72 ]

@Darrin

Quote:

Darrin wrote:
@NutsAboutAmiga

I want to know who jorit1 is and what did jorit2 do with the body!

You don't wanna know, it was nasty and gruesome ...

number6 
Posted on 7-Apr-2013 6:57:01
#73 ]
Elite Member

@jorit2

On the bright side, after this...
getting everyone to get along is going to seem just too easy.

Franko 
Posted on 7-Apr-2013 7:03:44
#74 ]
Elite Member

@jorit2

Who the heck is or what is a "Kjetil Hvalstrand" ???

What did he do or not do at "Hyperion"...

Did he tell em to stuff it too and walk away or was he never there to begin with...

How do we know that you know who he is and your not just making him up and all the facts you just posted about him are real or not without providing any concrete evidence (like a body for instance)...

Has he ever said anything important and even if he has is it really important but more importantly does any of it (important or not) actually matter anyway...

Never believe anything you read on the net (especially something I've posted) but then who am I, I'm not even sure half the times which one of me is posting let alone who the real me is...

PS: I do believe you're this Evert Carton fella as I can't imagine anyone actually wanting to pretend they had a strange name like that, cept maybe Peaches Geldof (think she worked at Hyperion once as a tea lady)...

PPS: My head is hurting, think it's time for my 3 hours sleep, maybe when I wake up this will just have been another one of my bad dreams I've had ever since I ate that mouldy bit of cheese back in 72... hope so... I'll find out soon enough when I wake up I suppose and discover whether this thread is still here or not...

PPPS: I'm a tree...

Hondo 
Posted on 7-Apr-2013 7:42:27
#75 ]

@Evert Carton

Hi Evert. I can understand you left Hyperion because of many reasons, where most of them probably belongs to your private hemisphere, and will never see the light of day. At least not in a place like this. The way it probably should be to protect the company and the community.

But there are a couple of questions which I'm a bit curios about. Would you perhaps consider answer them?
As I understood it one of the reasons you left Hyperion was because of lack of interest for the amiga. See this is where I totally don't get it. How can one NOT be interested in Amiga??? was it because there where so many disagreements you lost that interest? or was it because you were a long time mac user in disguise? a sneaky spy who simply were in the game to steal secrets from us ??

If indeed you're free of official obligations then perhaps you could shed some light on your thoughts and ideas in the period where you were involved. Could be interesting to hear how you saw the whole show, and what you thought should have been done differently. (without putting down the chosen direction, which of course involves a lot of money needed to be recouped)

Just your honest thoughts and ideas and perhaps letdowns and missed opportunities.

Let it out please

Last edited by Hondo on 07-Apr-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Last edited by Hondo on 07-Apr-2013 at 07:42 AM.

Hondo 
Posted on 7-Apr-2013 8:12:36
#76 ]

@jorit2

Quote:
You don't wanna know, it was nasty and gruesome ...

SlayeR__ 
Posted on 7-Apr-2013 10:42:24
#77 ]
Cult Member

@number6

Quote:
On the bright side, after this...
getting everyone to get along is going to seem just too easy.

With responses like the ones in this thread who needs division.

On a more serious note, cooperation can start anywhere, i will encourage developers to reach out to other developers, either to help or ask for help, and i mean any developer thats ready and willing to do so.

If we have to wait for users to stop bickering we wont get anywhere, and until people agree to disagree it is not going to change.

I would like to promote this video from AmiWest 2012, it is on blip tv, which might not be supported on any of the OS's, a possible project to cooperate on?.

jorit2 
Posted on 7-Apr-2013 11:10:01
#78 ]

@Hondo

OK, I'll bite and I might actually have to take some heat for this, so be it.

The reason I left Hyperion is very simple. We grew apart.
As I mentioned in my goodbye post, Hyperion was originally founded as a construction in which both Mr Hermans and I could do our own things.
To Mr Hermans, that was Amiga and games, to me it was some consulting, I started doing some Linux consulting in the early days.

But Hyperion became very much an Amiga-centric company, basically all the resources had to be used to sustain the Amiga project.
There was no room, it just wasn't possible, however frustrating that may have been to me, to channel resources to what I wanted to do, which was all very very early stages, and high risk, without jeopardizing the Amiga project, which was an ongoing project.

And we parted ways.

How can one not be interested in the Amiga ... well, how could one possibly not be interested in the music I like, how could one possibly not be interested in art and be blown away by the genius of Pablo Picasso ?

Or ... how can one not be interested in Bill Haley and the Comets and his Rock 'around the Clock tune, the tune that is often credited for making Rock 'n Roll somewhat acceptable to the white mainstraim establishment (even though Bill Haley and his Comets did initially paint their faces black for fear or repercussions, white Rock 'n Roll music just wasn't that acceptable those days, it was a "negro" thing, and this is not a racist remark, it's just how it was perceived by then ...

The point of Bill Haley and the Comets is, it is an important tune in the history of music, and in those days, I bet it was revolutionary, but it is, at least to me, not that great of a tune, I think there's much more interesting music. But Bill Haley paved some way. And people still listen to Bill Haley these days. And that's fine. And ... the music I listen may not have been possible if Bill Haley didn't pave the way like he did.

That's how I feel about the Amiga, except for the "negro" thing
I won't discredit the importance of the Amiga in history. I know it, I acknowledge it.
It has introduced, or made available to the masses, some important programming or usability paradigms .... and I can completely understand that it can still be used as a computer for everyday use to some people, it can "fullfill" use cases that still apply today. Franko is a perfect example, he's still fond of his classics ... but he acknowledges he needs a Mac for internet use.

A lot of those innovations have been adopted by other platforms ... in what is just normal evolution, in a normal ecosystem ... just as happens in nature ... E.g: What is often touted as a nice feature is the RAMDISK: Well, on this Linux box I have here sitting in front of me, I have some gigs of ram mounted as a tmp filesystem, experimenting whether it is really that handy and powerfull as it think it is, or should be, to use as a tempspace for database operations. It isn't called ramdisk, but it is the same thing, I can download stuff to it, and when I reboot it is cleaned up.

Back to Franko: The fact that he needs a Mac is probably, well certainly, simply because as a target platform for third party developers, the installed base, is just too small that's not gonna change anytime soon. Even Linux, though it has improved a lot, still lags behind in some areas.

But there's more than just the size of the installed base.
In order to function and work and compete in todays computerworld, I think the inherent flaws in the Amiga architecture just hold it back too much. I don't really see how an Amiga design, when sticking to the original, and aiming for backwards compatibility, can move forward. It looks to me, but I'm not an expert, that moving forward, and backwards compatibility, are conflicting, almost mutually exclusive, requirements. I'd happily be proven wrong ...

That's not to say there is no place for an Amiga platform, if people enjoy using it, who on earth am i to say they're wrong ? If Hyperion and the powers that currently be think there's a market and they think they have what it takes, then by all means, I would and hereby encourage them to go for it.

But then again, what is moving forward ... that's different for everybody. To some, it would be enough, if there was a decent office suite (being worked on, as far as I know), a decent browser, being worked on, or allready available ?

And what do you use a computer for ? That should be the prime question ...

As hinted at before, I happen to work with databases, data (how could you not be interested in databases, and data ), a lot, and in that area, Amiga, be it AROS, Morphos or HyperionOS cannot offer anything and will not anytime soon, and I doubt ever.

I understand that MySQL is available ... but it doesn't cut the mustard. Even if we would eventually be able to port PostgreSQL, my favourite database, and this is not an invitation to another flame war about the best database ... it still wouldn't help or incite my interest.
In todays world, working with big data, you really need those 8 or more cores. It's not just that those 8 cores allow you to do things faster, as for, to cater for the impatient, it's that they allow you to do things so much faster that you can actually do things that were not possible before, amazing, very cool things.
Or take NumPY, the numerical high performance compute engine for Python, it is somewhat mindblowing what it can do if compiled right, with vector based computations and multiprocessing ..., relying on (among other things), and they are therefore dependencies that need to be fullfilled, heavily optimized Fortran libraries or other BLAS'es or LAPACK's ..., in their current versions, they do often support OpenCL or other libraries accessing the 92, 128 or even 256 GPU "cores" in a modern Graphics card ...

I don't see that to be available anytime soon either, I don't think the platform can support it, and if it could, the list of dependencies, the roadmap is just very long, and there's no economical justification for that roadmap if you would would want to try it anyway.

So allthough Amiga's advanced possibilities at the time did open the way to NASA labs and other advanced environments ... that era is gone forever. Amiga will not be an advanced platform again.

So I don't see why I would be interested in Amiga. It really is of no use to me :-/
My sincere apologies ... but you asked for it.
In case you wonder, I am an avid Linux user, not because it is all that great and "joy" to use on the desktop, or because it makes computing fun, I don't really enjoy my Linux, to be honest I don't find any joy in it, but because it is a very nice gateway to whatever is out there, and I don't feel constrained by the possibilities of the platform and the open source ecosystem is thriving.

But I repeat ... That's not to say there is no place for an Amiga platform, if people enjoy using it, can find a use for it, who on earth am i to say they're wrong ? If Hyperion and the powers that currently be think there's a market and they think they have what it takes, and they're willing to risk/invest ... then by all means, I would and hereby encourage them to go for it

But I'll add here, somewhat stabbing back at Hyperion, try not to alienate their customer base, and very much related to that, come up with realistic goals and expectations, first and foremost for yourself, both technically and in terms of what is realistically achievable with the existing team of developers, and other resources, and in the timeframes you set forward. It would have helped to avoid a lot of the dramas.

As for the last question in your post:

"If indeed you're free of official obligations then perhaps you could shed some light on your thoughts and ideas in the period where you were involved. Could be interesting to hear how you saw the whole show, and what you thought should have been done differently. (without putting down the chosen direction, which of course involves a lot of money needed to be recouped)"

It is no secret that Hyperion wasn't doing well then, but Hyperion wasn't free to move, couldn't go anywhere ... there was this standoff with A.Inc, that literally blocked everything, every discussion about possibilities always ended up with .. "Yes but Amiga Inc ..." and everything eventually led to some lawsuits in the US and Europe, I guess you've heard about those ...

I consider my last significant deed as Hyperion Manager to be to put my signature on the settlement agreement with Amiga Inc (with a big sigh of relief).

Shortly afterwards, the legal structure of the company was changed, management structure changed, and Hyperion got ready for a what was to be a new new start, a new era in its existence, the talks about what would eventually lead to the X1000 also started about those days ... but I was not involved in those talks at all, I didn't want to, and I didn't see how I could contribute to it.
I honestly don't even know anything about those talks and projects at all ...

I was then still somewhat clinging to ... somewhat hoping that Hyperion could maybe still be a platform for what I could or want to ... but it eventually and at last dawned to me that that was actually kinda pointless, it didn't make sense (and this is not a stab back, I guess that was obvious to anyone) And we parted ways.

Last edited by jorit2 on 07-Apr-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Last edited by jorit2 on 07-Apr-2013 at 11:56 AM.

pavlor 
Posted on 7-Apr-2013 11:55:38
#79 ]
Elite Member

@jorit2

Interesting background informations! Thanks.

Hondo 
Posted on 7-Apr-2013 11:58:01
#80 ]

@jorit2

Quote:
I consider my last significant deed as Hyperion Manager to be to put my signature on the settlement agreement with Amiga Inc (with a big sigh of relief).

Many thanks for your answer Evert. Now I better understand it all, and can only thank you for your work for the amiga platform, and for putting your signature on that document. That was a seriously important thing for the future of AmigaOS. Thank you for that! (and thank you to Ben and all other involved parties)

(not many people have participated in such groundbreaking changes for AmigaOS)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle