Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 118 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  5 mins ago
 pavlor:  16 mins ago
 Birbo:  16 mins ago
 Hypex:  21 mins ago
 AmigaMac:  33 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 A1200:  2 hrs 14 mins ago
 michalsc:  2 hrs 19 mins ago
 OlafS25:  3 hrs 17 mins ago
 clint:  3 hrs 22 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  OS4 OpenLinux: Regarding the Amiga Community
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
PosterThread
wawa 
Re: OS4 OpenLinux: Regarding the Amiga Community
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 17:12:58
#341 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
the only thing I do not understand why people are thinking for Amiga Inc. and Hyperion. If he does not have the right to do what he does the owner of the brand can sue him. Not I, not Gutjahr, not Hondo or anyone else can. If he has the right (or gets it) to use the name we should at least wait for him to announce it and then we can still bash on it. We know nothing and already start bashing

yes, spot on..

Profile     Report this post  
wawa 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 17:14:13
#342 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

Quote:
The only one embarrassing their self round here is you. CGutjahr is one of the most level headed in the know people around this scene (rivalled only by number6) I don't always agree with his analyses but he definetly knows his stuff.

oh, so christoph is level headed and im still a troll ;) i start to feel jealous!

RobertJDohnert 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 17:19:40
#343 ]

@Signal

Quote:
Will the distro for this hardware have all the tools, .config files and most important the necessary patch files included, or available, to the community?

Yes, just like our x86 release the source code will be made available for users and for Amiga users the patch files that have been used will be provided.

Quote:
P.S.S. I do agree with several of the posters here that if you want to get as much penetration into PPC as you can you should cater to $500 x86 equipment. Works for me, and..

Oh no, we will be providing the x86/x64 releases, the x86 market is 98% of the industry, from a business standpoint to neglect it would be stupid.

No, the PPC release will be just like our OS4 Enterprise Linux SPARC release coming out Sept 1 that came about from our relationship with Oracle, it will be a supported platform. just like AROS supports 68k and the PowerPC. In fact our 13.5 release is coming this weekend.

RobertJDohnert 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 17:24:42
#344 ]

I also want to address something. On LinkedIn I had joined the open group Amiga Inc. to check out their "news" releases. I am in no way affiliated with Amiga Inc. I do not work for Amiga Inc and i dont produce products or services for Amiga inc.

Aslak3 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 17:28:01
#345 ]

@OlafS25

Anyone who buys an AmigaOne and runs linux on it is insane. The whole point of linux is that binaries are redundant. $250? Probably closer to $200. And the Sam460s performance is close to a $150 atom board, and that at least is dual core.

Come on folks. Just browse the net for your favorite pc shop... The *only* interesting thing about the sams and x10000 is that it can run an obscure OS called AmigaOS4. Otherwse they ate as remarkable as a 10 year old Dell.

@scabit

Popcorn? Valium is what's needed. If I read every post in this thread I think I'd need to go to the doctor. For some pills. It seems some folks haven't used other systems in the last 20 years.

My advice to the OP, as someone in the IT business, is to focus on your own product and leave Amiga well alone. There's no money in it.

Aslak3... An ex Sam460 user with many many happy memories of using his A1200.

OlafS25 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 17:36:10
#346 ]
Elite Member

@Aslak3

there are still insane expensive "POWER" Server from IBM that might be interesting for a professional linux. X1000 (that with PPC) is certainly not from a commercial view.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 17:57:45
#347 ]
Elite Member

@RobertJDohnert

Quote:
Oh no, we will be providing the x86/x64 releases, the x86 market is 98% of the industry

Oh no…. you don't know what Amiga is, it’s the computers from the 1985 to 1994 from commodore (and ESCOM VISCORP), Running AmigaOS (KIckstart ROM pluss workbench floppy disks), this is a retro thing we don't care about 99.9% of market that is not Amiga or AmigaOS, we care about 0.01% of market, the few who like the obscure OS, called AmigaOS that runs on PowerPC and 680x0 processors, computers branded AmigaONE, Amiga, Sam or Pegasus, MiniMig, fpga arcade and NatAmi The few obscure computers that are compatible whit the OS called AmigaOS, we are not Linux users, we never where Linux users.

We use Emulators, Windows or MacOSX to get access to few applications we don't have.

Quote:
SPARC

We don't care about SPARC what is that anyway?

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 26-Jun-2013 at 07:04 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 18:05:04
#348 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

I can remember of SPARC workstations mentioned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPARC

RISC like PowerPC used for Oracle products

amigadave 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 18:28:22
#349 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Speak for yourself, and not the whole Amiga community.

@Thread,

Please stay "On Topic" (as much as possible) and refrain from any personal attacks. This thread seems to be on the verge of going a bit out of control and getting personal. I guess it is a minor miracle that it has gone on for 18 pages without deteriorating worse than it actually already is.

@Roberto,

There are several valid questions that have been posted in this thread that you have neglected to answer with any meaningful information, and as has been stated by several of our members, the remaining Amiga community have been burned and disappointed by so many people over the last 15 to 18 years, who promised so much, but rarely delivered anything of value. So, be aware of this past history and know that you are treading on a path that seems so very familiar to many of us, which is why some of us are wary and suspicious.

It would be nice to find out that you have a genuine interest in helping, or contributing something to our tiny community, but some of your statements are questionable, when you talk of the remaining Amiga community and any form of commercial "Win-Win" scenario, as the remaining Amiga community is just too small to make any kind of commercial endeavor profitable.

So, if you are here out of the goodness of your heart and interest in the Amiga community and want to contribute in some way by working on this PPC Linux distribution for the AmigaOne X1000 computers, great. I don't see how it can hurt anyone, except your pocketbook, unless your programmers work for free. All talk about this project being any kind of financial success for anyone involved is just nonsense, or uneducated wishful thinking in regards to the reality of the Amiga market that is out there.

My suggestion to you is to take a step back and look again at the reality of the size and nature of the Amiga community, as well as the realities of the costs of all currently supported custom hardware choices that AmigaOS4.x runs on.

My intentions are not to scare you away, or discourage you from any project you really believe in, but I wish to make sure you understand our community a little better, and to make sure you have both eyes fully open, before you do or say anything further.

Good luck with any project you decide to pursue, which may have some benefit for the Amiga community.

terminills 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 18:36:23
#350 ]
AROS Core Developer

@amigadave

Quote:
Please stay "On Topic"

There's a topic?

/me hangs head in shame. :(

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

Templario 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 18:46:23
#351 ]
Elite Member

The name of OS4 Linux is to make us more sensitive and generous as the Amiga users support our systems with money.. because here there is a forget link of proyect:
http://www.os4online.com/p/buy-os4.html

Signal 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 20:09:57
#352 ]
Cult Member

I think Roberto is here for the simple fact that AmigaOS hardware
is PPC and he wants to delve into PPC. To include the users that
have PPC equipment, and also use Linux, is not a bad way to go if
getting into the PPC market.

Right now I'm using x86 Linux to post this because my AMIGA is busy
building a Linux kernel to include the necessary drivers for a
few PCIe cards to make sure they work with the X1000 before taking
further steps to get them working with AOS.

As for changing logos, names, etc., it's on digital paper, not chiseled
in stone.

Money? It is called OS4 OPEN Linux, not the enterprise edition. I think?

Toaks 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 20:26:58
#353 ]
Elite Member

the more i read this stuff i keep thinking "CUSA"... someone stepped into a minefield for sure and time will tell how this will turn out in the end....

Zylesea 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 22:05:13
#354 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:
@terminills

Quote:
You failed to mention it was also flipped #6

Oh dear...I hope that's not an embedded comment about MorphOS. Heh.

Please let MorphOS out of this drama. One of the many reasons I like MorphOS is because there's only rather little drama in recent years (not that we hadn't had our share a few years back...).
Please move on.
Why not annoying the Atari folks instead? Or make it the SchneiderEuro OS.

Last edited by Zylesea on 26-Jun-2013 at 10:17 PM.

cgutjahr 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 23:16:05
#355 ]
Cult Member

@cgutjahr

Quote:

The news item on your website announcing that "OS4 Linux" will be rebranded as "Amiga Linux" reappeared after you stated in this thread that Amiga Inc. doesn't want to issue a license.

Apparently, the announcement that he's going to use the "Amiga" trademark has been removed again.

broadblues 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 23:46:37
#356 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@thread

did you know that the comments system is active on their site?

AmigaMac 
Posted on 26-Jun-2013 23:52:02
#357 ]

I am totally confused about this Linux distro and how it relates to Amiga... can someone enlighten me?

Nameless 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 0:01:43
#358 ]

Skimmed over the thread, but I too am not completely sure what he wants to accomplish.

Port a version of Linux with a name of 'OS4' for use on PPC Amigas and brand it as Amiga Linux OS4, or something like that?

If so, my first question would be why -- if looking at it from a financial perspective. The Amiga market is way too tiny to make money off of that way. Then I wonder why anyone owning a PPC Amiga would want Linux on it really... or if they do, why not use PPC Mint or something like that for free?

Or did I misunderstand what is going on here? It does sound CUSA-ish, but on the software side of things, rather than hardware.

Last edited by Nameless on 27-Jun-2013 at 12:02 AM.

number6 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 0:03:08
#359 ]
Elite Member

@thread

LONG new posting:

http://www.os4online.com/

terminills 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 0:03:16
#360 ]
AROS Core Developer

@broadblues

Quote:

@thread

did you know that the comments system is active on their site?

If I didn't know better I would think you just asked for people to harrass him on his site.

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle