Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
25 crawler(s) on-line.
 84 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

amigakit

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  4 mins ago
 kolla:  37 mins ago
 Beajar:  44 mins ago
 VooDoo:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 36 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  2 hrs 59 mins ago
 kriz:  3 hrs 3 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  OS4 OpenLinux: Regarding the Amiga Community
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
PosterThread
wawa 
Re: OS4 OpenLinux: Regarding the Amiga Community
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 11:40:26
#381 ]
Elite Member

@Boot_WB

Quote:
So why complain about them selling x86 with Linux as Amiga, if they're also marketing Amiga hardware which can coincidentally run AmigaOS/AROS/MorphOS?

im not complaining. as i already wrote im indifferent to it. and i think there is no opportunity for aros in in, save someone points me to one.

Quote:
1) Marketability.

the systems are intended to be marketed with linux as default. you might be able to install aros on it, fine. but saying, it adds to aros marketability is like saying microsoft adds to linux and macos marketability because regular pcs are sold with it. also you could have install aros on cusa c64x, thir amiga, some dell, hp or acer for that matter, does it all add up to aros marketability?, because if it does, then another brand of computers it can run on is meaningless.

Quote:
The ability to list new Amiga hardware as supported systems. That's going to be more marketable than a hard-to-find AmigaOne page on Amigakit.com, or a list of supported hardware on MorphOS-team.net / aros-exec.org .

given the new hardware or part of it will be ppc, i dont see where would that be coming from, except trevor wizardry. in this case the only difference will be that the new hardware could be called "amiga", not " amigaone". dont see how that could influence price or availability. seems that morphos team has refused to support it in the past, dont see why they would want to change their mind.

Quote:
With no offense intended at all towards anyone's marketing, it's just pure numbers - even a relatively small Linux distro will have an order of magnitude more visitors, and that's before adding a widely recognized (if bruised) brand-name.

perhaps, but i dont see any proof how recognized or popular that distro is. so i dont see how there are opportunities on either side. remains to be seen, but im not going to cheer for that.

Quote:
2) Users Pure and simple. Not millions, not tens of thousands, but more marketing means more interest means more users (if the offerings are right).

see above. also what makes you think amiga linux users will have any interest for obscure amigang oses?

Quote:
3) Profit. (or possibly free chicks & beer)

by your leave, it seems you are clutching at straws. i thought you were a little more resistant towards hype. ;)

Profile     Report this post  
wawa 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 11:41:27
#382 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
I think you miss the point. It does not say that their OS must be preinstalled on the "Amiga" hardware (but it of course can) so it would be no harm.

definitely. i see no gain either, though.

Overflow 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 12:20:54
#383 ]

@wawa

I see diversity and options as gain, but might just be me.

OlafS25 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 12:24:44
#384 ]
Elite Member

@Overflow

+1

it will end that "only xyz is amiga" discussions and propably rise competition between the platforms (what alone would help a lot) and it would create a lot of interest outside. Look at how many reports were there with CUSA and they had no real amiga-product. Just the name.

resle 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 12:34:00
#385 ]
Cult Member

@Overflow

Diversity and options are good in a healthy and well established environment.

One that struggles to survive, needs all efforts to be focused on one and one thing only.

CritAnime 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 12:41:22
#386 ]
Cult Member

@wawa

Quote:
perhaps, but i dont see any proof how recognized or popular that distro is. so i dont see how there are opportunities on either side. remains to be seen, but im not going to cheer for that.

DistroWatch is a kind of measure of how "popular" a distro is. Obviously these numbers are generated from page hits within DistroWatch so unique visitors to their site is another thing. But at the moment (from a 12 month polling span) OS4 is ranked 16th. Which is quite high up considering CUSA's OS Vision settled around 50-60 before dropping off the face of the planet.

Admin at Commodore Gaming Wiki

Amigo1 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 13:24:58
#387 ]

@OlafS25

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@Overflow

+1

it will end that "only xyz is amiga" discussions and

most probably it will

Quote:
propably rise competition between the platforms (what alone would help a lot)

of course it will!! That's exactly my point when we have discussions about how to make eritrean* people grab some shovel and start plugging their fields.. The solution is throw some more people in their starving speckle of land and let the competition fire up their desire to be better!!

Quote:

and it would create a lot of interest outside. Look at how many reports were there with CUSA and they had no real amiga-product. Just the name.

maybe there are better ways to create some interest...

*) disclaimer: first starving country which came to mind, no hatred intended, no stereotype willingly promoted.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 13:43:34
#388 ]

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@Boot_WB

Quote:
So why complain about them selling x86 with Linux as Amiga, if they're also marketing Amiga hardware which can coincidentally run AmigaOS/AROS/MorphOS?

im not complaining. as i already wrote im indifferent to it. and i think there is no opportunity for aros in in, save someone points me to one.

Apologies Wawa, the 'complaining' bit was directed at the world in general, not you personally.

Quote:
Quote:
1) Marketability.

the systems are intended to be marketed with linux as default. you might be able to install aros on it, fine. but saying, it adds to aros marketability is like saying microsoft adds to linux and macos marketability because regular pcs are sold with it. also you could have install aros on cusa c64x, thir amiga, some dell, hp or acer for that matter, does it all add up to aros marketability?

None of the above have links to AROS exec on their site next to a supported product (under an 'also available for this computer' subheading).

Quote:
Quote:
The ability to list new Amiga hardware as supported systems. That's going to be more marketable than a hard-to-find AmigaOne page on Amigakit.com, or a list of supported hardware on MorphOS-team.net / aros-exec.org .

given the new hardware or part of it will be ppc, i dont see where would that be coming from, except trevor wizardry. in this case the only difference will be that the new hardware could be called "amiga", not " amigaone". dont see how that could influence price or availability. seems that morphos team has refused to support it in the past, dont see why they would want to change their mind.

Marketing an array of products - x86, PPC, ARM - all under tha Amiga name.

99% of customers would probably go x86, some may buy PPC for linux (esp if a low-cost PPC offering is available, like Efika), some may buy ARM for linux. The point is they're all availble and marketed in a single place with links to the 'also ran' OSes where appropriate.
99% may not even click the link. That 1% would be a noticable boost to traffic for AmigaOS/MorphOS/AROS though.
Anyone buying A-Eon and A-Cube products (even for Linux) would also be helping the hardware manufacturers.

Do A-Eon/A-Cuve's want to sell more hardware regardless of OS? If so, then I can't see a downside to this proposal.

Quote:
Quote:
With no offense intended at all towards anyone's marketing, it's just pure numbers - even a relatively small Linux distro will have an order of magnitude more visitors, and that's before adding a widely recognized (if bruised) brand-name.

Fair enough, I'm still waiting to see where this goes, but if it is what I think it is then we're witnessing the Amiga brand breaking free from its moribund position (unable to be marketed with MorphOS/AROS, unwilling to be marketed with AmigaOS, unmarketable with 'random distro' linux) and availing itself to all camps from a common base which is trying to build, establish, and then hopefully maintain strong links (?) to the Amiga heritage.

Quote:
Quote:
2) Users Pure and simple. Not millions, not tens of thousands, but more marketing means more interest means more users (if the offerings are right).

see above. also what makes you think amiga linux users will have any interest for obscure amigang oses?

The people who are easily interested in 'Amiga' hardware for Linux are most likely to be those that recognise the name. With AROS/MorphOS/AmigaOS only a click away, it's just more likely to generate traffic and interest in their direction.

Quote:
Quote:
3) Profit. (or possibly free chicks & beer)

by your leave, it seems you are clutching at straws. i thought you were a little more resistant towards hype. ;)

Surely you must know that's as old a joke as 'two more weeks.'

---

I don't believe for a moment that this would rebirth the Amiga platform into the mainstream. We're about 20 years late for that one.
I do think it would sell more product for the NG hardware manufacturers, which for the PPC OSes can only be a good thing.
I also think it would generate more exposure for all the OSes, also a good thing.

Don't worry though, I'm not so delusional to think that anyone gives a crap about it outside of our community (aside from those with vested financial interests of course).

I'm also not talking about what WILL happen, just what COULD happen (and I suspect is happening) from here.

Last edited by Boot_WB on 27-Jun-2013 at 01:52 PM.

Signal 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 14:56:29
#389 ]
Cult Member

OK! It's settled then. OS4 OpenLinux on PPC desktop systems. COOL!

As for other companies buying a license to produce amiga branded
hardware. There is nothing that can be done about that except to
say 'Take care'.

I'm gonna google 'Amiga branded pancake flipper'.

number6 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 14:59:12
#390 ]
Elite Member

@Signal

Quote:
As for other companies buying a license to produce amiga brandedhardware.

Otherwise known as "the fast track to being an Alibaba unverified member"

cheesegrate 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 15:00:05
#391 ]

What about merging OS4 OpenLinux with AROS and MorphOS to create OS5?
Fleecy Moss could be project lead.

Last edited by cheesegrate on 27-Jun-2013 at 03:00 PM.

"Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!" - Monkey Island

Overflow 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 15:10:32
#392 ]

@resle

So if someone "joins" the "Amiga community" (however you define that), but doesnt choose one of
the "community approved" directions then that person should be discouraged in all manners possible?

"Choose AOS, AROS or MorpOS or GTFO!" ??

Im sorry for being a bit childish with my comment here, but its sometimes thats the vibe I get.
Its fine to suggest maybe pooling your abilities with the other projects, but dont tear down
peoples intrest in bringing other options to "Amiga Hardware" (however you want to define that).

Our way or the highway.

Last edited by Overflow on 27-Jun-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Last edited by Overflow on 27-Jun-2013 at 03:12 PM.

terminills 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 15:20:30
#393 ]
AROS Core Developer

@wawa

Quote:
nowhere near me. i have ten. and btw. big thanks at scabitt. much appreciated!

I got myself a new book maybe I can catch up now. :)

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

OlafS25 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 15:26:56
#394 ]
Elite Member

@terminills

you can not learn it, it must be intuitive

OlafS25 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 15:31:00
#395 ]
Elite Member

@resle

We all know that we will not agree on one platform. So having competition between the platform is the only realistic option.

broadblues 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 15:37:32
#396 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@thread

Quote:

OS4 (formerly PC/OS)

When and why did it change it's name?

Boot_WB 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 15:46:15
#397 ]

@broadblues

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Quote:
PC/OS is back rechristened as OS4 Workstation and eServer.

Interesting to note that they've addressed the 'are you trying to replace Amiga' thing on their blog already once already this year .

Last edited by Boot_WB on 27-Jun-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Last edited by Boot_WB on 27-Jun-2013 at 03:46 PM.

terminills 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 16:02:16
#398 ]
AROS Core Developer

@broadblues

Quote:

When and why did it change it's name?

Because of the health risks.

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

resle 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 16:19:20
#399 ]
Cult Member

@Overflow

ok. I will run ReactOS on a Atom X86. It will have a boing ball splash screen and preinstalled Win UAE. I will brand this machine the Amiga Reactor x2000.

Now encourage me, please. Oh and, perhaps, fund me as well.

see, it's not "our way or the highway". Because there is NO SUCH THING AS "our way" anymore! So, maybe, let's try not to add any more ways - especially if it they don't make much sense? Hm?

Last edited by resle on 27-Jun-2013 at 04:22 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 27-Jun-2013 16:31:09
#400 ]
Elite Member

@resle

I do not see it that negative. We share all the same APIs (or at least almost). We have of course different GUIs, some are closed source, one is opensource.

I do not think that the situation could become worse. That means that we (in worst case) get from a hobby market with a couple of thousand supporters to a hobby market (with the same number of users). What do we have to loose?

Only one camp with one OS will not happen, I do not need to explain.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle