Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
21 crawler(s) on-line.
 130 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  5 mins ago
 kolla:  11 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  14 mins ago
 Gunnar:  15 mins ago
 Comi:  41 mins ago
 vox:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 BigD:  2 hrs 33 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 35 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  OS4 OpenLinux: Regarding the Amiga Community
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
PosterThread
vox 
Re: OS4 OpenLinux: Regarding the Amiga Community
Posted on 23-Jul-2013 18:34:53
#741 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

For a pure Linux distro takes way too much time to comment on Amiga things.

e.g.
Quote:
The AmigaOS targets a hardware architecture thats very obscure, most PowerPC shipments are servers or high end workstations, and the AmigaOS is not either a server platform and is not a high-end workstation OS. No offense to Amiga users, its a fun toy, but not a platform anyone will take seriously anymore. MorphOS on the other hand is a great platform, very advanced and light years ahead of AmigaOS. Thats my personal favorite. If you have an old Mac, get it. Our "Amiga strategy" is to give users a modern Linux based OS, with tools that they can use to continue to indulge their favorite hobby.

Or the part where he explains Amiga is dead (but yet month ago distro used to use Amiga name and still uses kind of Boing Ball logo?)

Since MorphOS is having many similar troubles as AmigaOS and is currently bond on PPC, I don`t see how can one be a hobby and dead and and MorphOS light years ahead. I say that knowing MorphOS is faster on same hardware and has a cheaper used hardware. I call this MOS PR because he will sell MOS machines. What say you wawa?

Quote:
idont know, actually it sounds pretty honest, and how it really is. i think it is good to have a linux ditro containing amiga emulator and aros hosted by default. its also good to have some morphos exposure outside the community. looks like the guys may be able of generating some publicity. all that may be of gain to community, or may bring nothing but it aint a loss as i see it.

Depends, we ll see how his Linux taste will do in Linux competition.

Profile     Report this post  
blizz1220 
Posted on 23-Jul-2013 18:47:31
#742 ]

@vox

He considers Amiga users in that context as those that said
goodbye to Amiga in 1999 and still remember playing SWOS
and trying to play Shadow Of The Beast ...

He plans to offer Amiga Linux to those Amiga users ...
And he advertises Morphos to them as "light-years-away"
because if they have an old Mac or invest in one they
could use it for free and register for a small price ...

Maybe even those users that only heard of Amiga as being
this cool advanced computer from the eighties but don't
have a clue what it was but know what Linux is ...

wawa 
Posted on 23-Jul-2013 19:05:54
#743 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:
For a pure Linux distro takes way too much time to comment on Amiga things.

actually why not? are people ouside the community not allowed to comment on it?

Quote:
I call this MOS PR because he will sell MOS machines. What say you wawa?

possibly, remember apart of morphos he expressed intention to resell x1k as well. it isnt exactly stunning if he was making pr for that.

vox 
Posted on 23-Jul-2013 19:41:43
#744 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
actually why not? are people ouside the community not allowed to comment on it?

Surely everyone is entitled to opinion, but I kind of like more opinions of actual users or developers.
And opinion doesn`t change world, actions do.

Quote:
possibly, remember apart of morphos he expressed intention to resell x1k as well. it isnt exactly stunning if he was making pr for that.

My feeling is that Amiga part is constantly shrinking. In AROS terms yesterday it was AROS for everyone with OS and even as dual boot option, now is only a zipped archieve somewhere on the disk.

Nice words put for PPC Macs but I don`t see them selling with MorphOS on his marketplace.

As with A1 1000, I don`t believe he will be able to resell it, because of unavailiability.
I believe idea was to have OpenLinux for X1000 and seems Trevor would like to focus
on AOS4 support and kind of ditch long term PPC support for X1000/2000/4000 to someone else.
Trevor in recent IRC chat said his interest in Roberto`s story is purely having a long term Linux support for A-EON customers.

@Blizz1220

Quote:
He considers Amiga users in that context as those that said goodbye to Amiga in 1999 and still remember playing SWOS and trying to play Shadow Of The Beast ...

I understand how people put just intended facts that benefit to their cause. Similar was with C-USA
that tried to pretend to be a real continuation of Commodore, and like nothing happened after 1994.
Where then that AOS4 put to shame, MorphOS and AROS do come from?

I call that "half information". Normal in PR and marketing.

Last edited by vox on 23-Jul-2013 at 07:44 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 23-Jul-2013 20:23:25
#745 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:
Surely everyone is entitled to opinion, but I kind of like more opinions of actual users or developers.

i have no doubts you do, now you have to live with it, that these are not only ones who are able to post opinions to internet.;)

Quote:
And opinion doesn`t change world, actions do.

apparently he declares being up for some action. im gonna lean back and watch it further.

Quote:
My feeling is that Amiga part is constantly shrinking. In AROS terms yesterday it was AROS for everyone with OS and even as dual boot option, now is only a zipped archieve somewhere on the disk.

i only recall he wanted to propose aros hosted first. what he apparently does. his caveats about aros are all good and right, i too would proceed very cautiously introducing any amigalike system to the wider public. they are all not prime time ready. but actual exposure might make them think about it more.

Quote:
Nice words put for PPC Macs but I don`t see them selling with MorphOS on his marketplace

not our problem.

Quote:
As with A1 1000, I don`t believe he will be able to resell it, because of unavailiability.

not his fault.

Quote:
Trevor in recent IRC chat said his interest in Roberto`s story is purely having a long term Linux support for A-EON customers.

if this happens why should it be a bad thing?

Last edited by wawa on 23-Jul-2013 at 08:24 PM.

vox 
Posted on 23-Jul-2013 21:17:10
#746 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
i only recall he wanted to propose aros hosted first. what he apparently does. his caveats about aros are all good and right, i too would proceed very cautiously introducing any amigalike system to the wider public. they are all not prime time ready. but actual exposure might make them think about it more.

It was kind of supposed to be full AROS Box or even fully integrated in OS in
the beginning, but now is just zipped archive users have to install and use.

However, I kind of more favor AEROS in that league as real development,
not just use of AROS.

Quote:
if this happens why should it be a bad thing?

Not a bad thing, but by the time he does it (if he does it at all as now
favors MorphOS) I might already be hooked to Ubuntu on X1000

wawa 
Posted on 23-Jul-2013 21:22:04
#747 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:
It was kind of supposed to be full AROS Box or even fully integrated in OS in
the beginning, but now is just zipped archive users have to install and use.

vox, take it easy, i remember very well that he said he starts with aros hosted and chances are as soon as the drivers are in place and stability is confirmed he may propose native solution. i your suppositions were different then they are your private matter. dont put them in someone elses mouth.

and now how about to comment next time, when something actually happens?

vox 
Posted on 23-Jul-2013 21:23:56
#748 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
and now how about to comment next time, when something actually happens?

So far man has actually done announcements that we can discuss, so wrong person to blame.

My impression is that his plans seems to be constantly shrinking in this area.

wawa 
Posted on 23-Jul-2013 21:42:51
#749 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:
My impression is that his plans seems to be constantly shrinking in this area.

you know what? im not going to buy anything for 3000eur of him. you dont need to convince me.

OlafS25 
Posted on 23-Jul-2013 21:51:06
#750 ]
Elite Member

@Wawa

You are defending Roberto. That is my job

@Vox

He does what he can do realistic. Of course it is much less than he promised (or better seemed to promise) at first but that is what he can do. When I read "obscure" I knew what reactions would come but for everyone outside any PPC based hardware is obscure. People know "Intel" and perhaps "ARM" and the older ones "68000" but who knows PPC? I f.e. left about 1995, I completely missed all PPC related stuff and I assume that I am not the only one. People will ask is it better than "Intel", is it faster, can you do more with it or is it cheaper. If you answer No all the time they will ask why use it. That means "obscure" from outside.

You are right Aeros is (as a Aros solution) more advanced than what he does. He simply puts Emulation, Icaros and Hosted additional in but at least there is a chance that people test it, read the blogs and might become interested. And it offers new sales opportunities for AROS and 68k applications and games. It does not help AmigaOS of course but it might help AROS. Perhaps you are disappointed because you personal prefer AmigaOS. But that is how the world goes round. Finally it is all about the biggest number of potential customers and that you do not find on PPC based hardware.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 23-Jul-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 23-Jul-2013 at 09:52 PM.

blizz1220 
Posted on 24-Jul-2013 4:35:19
#751 ]

@thread

Might be worth noticing :

http://www.bizapedia.com/wa/AMIGA-INC.html

Amiga Inc. is now inactive and the owner is William McEwen not
Bill McEwen , the one employee (secretary) that was probably
running the company since 2009 (John A Grzymala) is now
looking for a new job ...

It could mean that Bill had enough of this and wouldn't hire
lawyers to fight any further development of AmigaOS 4 ...

http://www.bizapedia.com/wa/AMIGA-GAMES-INC.html

When I checked 2 days ago owner was Bill McEwen
Now it's William Wallace Mcewen ...

Yo 
Posted on 24-Jul-2013 4:54:35
#752 ]
Team Member

@blizz1220

Quote:
When I checked 2 days ago owner was Bill McEwen Now it's William Wallace Mcewen ...

That's a more fancy, highfalutin name... probably looks better on business cards and court documents

(No, I didn't type that with a straight face.)

BCP 
Posted on 24-Jul-2013 4:57:37
#753 ]

@blizz1220

In the U.S. & probably the U.K. as well, "Bill" is a common nickname for "William" so more than likely William Wallace McEwen is Bill McEwen's real name.

Amiga Response Crew Users Group
Indianapolis, IN USA

blizz1220 
Posted on 24-Jul-2013 4:58:24
#754 ]

@Yo

Quote:
That's a more fancy, highfalutin name... probably looks better on business cards and court documents

ROFL You could be right there

EDIT: I did some more checking , either Bill McEwen has
changed his name or he is using a fake one because Bill
McEwen seems to be his full name , not William ...

Maybe it's member of his family or he is using the old
"nobody will fight Braveheart" routine ...

Last edited by blizz1220 on 24-Jul-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Last edited by blizz1220 on 24-Jul-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Last edited by blizz1220 on 24-Jul-2013 at 06:26 AM.

resle 
Posted on 24-Jul-2013 9:05:42
#755 ]
Cult Member

Atrocious grammar aside (isn't the guy american and thus a native english speaker?), at least Roberto really proves to be a master of wording, diplomacy and moderation.

Quote:

It gives some people a feeling of nostalgia, it is a hobby OS and it needs to be treated as such.
[...]
its a fun toy
[...]
MorphOS on the other hand is a great platform, very advanced and light years ahead of AmigaOS.
[...]
Whether they take us up on the offer, thats up to them. I wont lose any sleep over it

vox 
Posted on 24-Jul-2013 9:24:46
#756 ]
Elite Member

@resle

While I can agree with most aspects "light years ahead of AOS4" simply does not reflect reality. If he said MacOS X or Linux I could agree. Not because my choice is OS4, but simply because MorphOS also has many similar limits in 3D graphics, PPC, max RAM etc.

My bet is that it is carefully inserted because of idea to sell MOS capable Macs in green programme.

We`ll see how diplomatic language will continue

Its interesting that in grand scheme and professional productivity, even I do favor Linux, Linux (including OS/4 Open Linux) could be described similarly (its fun, nice toy, hobbist OS) but in past few years open source has gone quite stronger and Linux is way more easier to use, with a lot of usable software.

Quote:
Whether they take us up on the offer, thats up to them. I wont lose any sleep over it

And vice versa. We shouldn `t loose any sleep over his Linux.

Last edited by vox on 24-Jul-2013 at 09:25 AM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 24-Jul-2013 9:53:54
#757 ]
Elite Member

@vox

"light years ahead" might be discussed but I think most will agree that it is better compared to AmigaOS (and AROS). It is propably the most polished OS right now in the "Amiga-World". I can remember someone estimating it is 20% better than AmigaOS. But we all know that Roberto likes to use a "bloomy" marketing language so we should not take everything literal like some here did (and do).

vox 
Posted on 24-Jul-2013 10:16:08
#758 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
But we all know that Roberto likes to use a "bloomy" marketing language so we should not take everything literal like some here did (and do).

I agree on more polished,several more features, 20% better, faster, better looking, more affordable hardware ... no doubts there.

Agreed its a marketing language, especially because he plans to put used Macs PPC on sale as part of green programme.

How affordable those PPC Macs will be (compared to eBay and such), we`ll see.

cgutjahr 
Posted on 24-Jul-2013 11:39:44
#759 ]
Cult Member

@vox

Quote:

"light years ahead of AOS4" simply does not reflect reality

Let me spell it out for you and all the others who are oh so much offended by this remark: He knew this would piss you off - that's the exact reason he posted it. He needs our attention - that's what all these daily logo and name changes, the announcements, the promises and the snide remarks are about.

And yet you guys are sitting here, discussing if he's "somewhat right" or if his analysis "sounds pretty honest" (seriously, wawa?).

And somebody should pay #6 a visit and confiscate all of his computers. Anybody living in the area?

OlafS25 
Posted on 24-Jul-2013 12:11:14
#760 ]
Elite Member

@cgutjahr

Why are you so nervous about this all the time? You do not like Roberto and you do not like what he does. Fine, we know that already. All the time explaining how bad they are and all what they do is evil is slowly becoming boring.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle