Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 121 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 BigD:  12 mins ago
 OlafS25:  14 mins ago
 kolla:  34 mins ago
 amigakit:  43 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  46 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 Frank:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 MickJT:  2 hrs 9 mins ago
 A1200:  2 hrs 33 mins ago
 outlawal2:  3 hrs 7 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  OS4 OpenLinux: Regarding the Amiga Community
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
PosterThread
vox 
Re: OS4 OpenLinux: Regarding the Amiga Community
Posted on 26-Jul-2013 19:53:01
#821 ]
Elite Member

@RobertJDohnert

Quote:
A fully supported architecture means you have staff behind it that works with it and maintains it. I already said, right now we are concentrating on G4 and G5. If Acube or A-EON want to help us support their hardware then thats fine. If they dont, thats fine too. Good luck.

Good. Ask MOS guys for Pegasos II and A-EON for Nemo, Acube for SAMs.
I am sure everyone would be glad to help. It won`t happen on its own.

AmigaBounty has SAM for coders but ah, what the communiy would say

If you continue supporting just for PPC Macs, then MorphZone should be site of your interest.
Unless you support at least Eyetech AmigaOnes

But you see, I`ve just lost interest even in your PPC Linux.
Because it seems it will not work on X1000.

So may many other users here. Good luck!

Last edited by vox on 26-Jul-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Last edited by vox on 26-Jul-2013 at 07:56 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Rob 
Posted on 26-Jul-2013 20:10:11
#822 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

Quote:
What I was referring to is before A-EON was created so you have to look at the context to what Barry was asked so no he didn't have talks with Trevor and Ben about putting A1X1K/SAM/OS4 into a C= Amiga that Barry sold. What I was talking about is when Ben and Barry/Leo were trading emails at the very early stages about porting OS4. Ben simply stop replying to them.

That's funny because I was under the impression that A-EON and the announcement of the X1000 pre-dated Commodore USA, let alone Leo's appointment as CTO.

damocles 
Posted on 26-Jul-2013 20:31:14
#823 ]

@Rob

Quote:
That's funny because I was under the impression that A-EON and the announcement of the X1000 pre-dated Commodore USA, let alone Leo's appointment as CTO.

To the best of my memory, the announcement of A-EON and the A1X1K wasn't till after the communications between Hyperion and C=USA had ended.

vox 
Posted on 26-Jul-2013 20:46:04
#824 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

Quote:
CUSA licensed Amiga brand from Amiga, Inc. on August 31, 2010.[4]

X1000 history
Quote:
The first prototype machines were manufactured during mid-2009 and Hyperion Entertainment began the process of porting the AmigaOS to the X1000 in late-2009. By mid-June 2010, the X1000 was booting AmigaOS from hard disk and the machine made its debut at the Vintage Computer festival at Bletchley Park on the weekend on the 19 and 20 June 2010.[5]

So you say they contacted Hyperion before they have licensed Amiga name?
Way to go

Boot_WB 
Posted on 26-Jul-2013 20:54:46
#825 ]

@RobertJDohnert

Quote:

RobertJDohnert wrote:

we are making a fully supported Linux distro for PPC. Not a secondary architecture, not a backport or fiddle with repositories etc etc. A fully supported architecture means you have staff behind it that works with it and maintains it. I already said, right now we are concentrating on G4 and G5. If Acube or A-EON want to help us support their hardware then thats fine. If they dont, thats fine too. Good luck.

If it's easy to install. up-to-date, and doesn't screw up my other partitions - cool, will give it a try out on my mac-mini.

New PPC Linux is always good news, not worthy of a 40-page thread though.
It would probably have gone down better without all the drama.

Rob 
Posted on 26-Jul-2013 23:07:47
#826 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

Quote:
To the best of my memory, the announcement of A-EON and the A1X1K wasn't till after the communications between Hyperion and C=USA had ended.

So when did these communications take place?

private_apocalypse 
Posted on 27-Jul-2013 0:19:54
#827 ]

Quote:
by wawa on 24-Jul-2013 16:04:21
i just think its not to worth to discuss it and check his page ten times a day. if he is for attention he will eventually get away, and if he is genuine he will do what he announces. time will tell and i wont be disappointed either way.

I thought that was the cue for this thread to go into hibernation, but I guess not.

Quote:
by vox on 24-Jul-2013 13:58:29
Anyone experienced in LInux willing to test his Linux vs major free distros

With regard to the x86 version (as obviously there is no publicly available PPC version to test at this time), in my opinion there are better and worse Linux distributions out there, but it is for each person to determine if OS/4 OpenLinux fits her or his needs. And it is neither here nor there with regard to Amiga.

Perhaps my cynicism is getting the better of me, but I think all of the gab boils down to(for those of you who get that MI reference).

Quote:
by Yo on 26-Jul-2013 15:18:15
@thread

We now stop for a Music Break, dripping with significance....

I thought it would be "Promises, Promises" by Naked Eyes. As regards the PC OpenSystems situation, if I were to offer a quote that comes from a song originally recorded by Elvis, then that quote would be "wise men say only fools rush in".

Quote:
by blizz1220 on 26-Jul-2013 20:10:21
I agree with you 101 % cgutjahr , this thread should be left to die...

I think that is going to require holy water and a wooden stake at this point.

Ultimately it seems counterproductive to continue posting about this, as, if it stirs Mr Dohnert to write more here or on his blog, that is time he could instead (presumably) spend "port[ing] device drivers", "get[ting] the QT port up to date", "port[ing] GTK", etc. If there is tangible development, then that will be reasonable cause for reassessment. If he actually meets the full scope of all the talk, then he will deserve a pat on the back and an apology for the pointed skepticism (I for one would wholeheartedly thank him and offer an apology).

I'm not saying that it's impossible, but I must admit that I am somewhat dubious that anyone has sent him e-mails in which they "hope[d] that [his] children die of cancer and that [he] drop[s] dead or get[s] rolled in a fiery car crash". Not that Amigans can't be passionate or heated (or vitriolic), but that's the kind of extremist and nonsensical language I expect from more youthful communities (no backhanded compliment intended, ladies and gentlemen of Amigaland).

Mr Dohnert is hardly evil (I don't remember anyone stating that he was; perhaps I glossed over it), but he always seems to be in sales pitch mode (again, see the Stan GIF above). At least to my mind, a successful marriage is measured by the long-term commitment and realized mutual benefit, not by the wedding pomp and dreamy-eyed reverie.

Mr Dohnert: Less talk, more coding.
Everyone else: Wait and see, but don't fixate on it.

Fin
Mod Edit: Image re-sized to fit in with our TOS

Last edited by Yo on 27-Jul-2013 at 04:50 AM.

RobertJDohnert 
Posted on 27-Jul-2013 1:30:14
#828 ]

@private_apocalypse

Mod Edit: Image resized to fit our TOS

Last edited by Yo on 27-Jul-2013 at 04:54 AM.

resle 
Posted on 27-Jul-2013 6:32:36
#829 ]
Cult Member

@saimo

Quote:
I'm amazed this person has been given so much attention. Even if one doesn't (want to) see his unethical behaviour, his total lack of professionality and basic business capabilities should scream it loud and clear that he's not somebody to do business with. And that's just to begin with.

Saimo, it's a waste of time and... emotional efforts.

If someone really wants to understand who he's facing, a very simple search will reveal how an inelegant loudmouth Donhert is pretty much everywhere, writing in capitalized expletives about this and that.

If someone really wants to validate him as a businessman or "CEO", figuring out the "numbers" behind Openystems LLC is not hard work, and the donation buttons here and there tell the rest of the story.

But, simply put, the two "camps" here are all about hating him because he dares touching some dead and forgotten logos and names / or loving him because he's throwing a bunch of amiga-related stuff packaged into a linux distro.

That's all.

Overflow 
Posted on 27-Jul-2013 9:12:23
#830 ]

@resle

You say there are 2 camps, which isnt accurate.

I neither love/hate him or other people that have created "fuzz", so where do I fit?

Trevor/Aeon was target for quite a bit of negative posting, but his words where supported by action/finished product down the road.

But the camp that are happy with giving a person/company time to prove themselves makes
for boring forum posting Im sure.

In the case of the bounty he put up for Scribus there has been quite a bit of good feedback for
him to consider. You could even go so far as to say the lack of appearant planning before
putting up the bounty thread gives a reason to be hesistant.

But the "fire in the hall" style forum posting that is frequent here isnt very appealing.

Last edited by Overflow on 27-Jul-2013 at 09:33 AM.

damocles 
Posted on 27-Jul-2013 13:43:13
#831 ]

@Rob

Quote:

AFAIR, the A1X1K wasn't announced three to six months after Ben stopped communicated with Barry/Leo. I remember commenting to Leo on that was probably the reason why Ben stopped communicated with them shortly after A-Eon was announced with their A1X1K project. If Barry had known about A-Eon and the A1X1K, I doubt he would have made an offer to Hyperion to pay for a OS4 port to x86 and fee per license.

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 27-Jul-2013 13:51:23
#832 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

One thing Barry proved over time is that he was unwilling to invest even $1 into the Amiga community. I doubt very much he offered to pay for OS4 getting ported to x86.

vox 
Posted on 27-Jul-2013 14:23:29
#833 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

Quote:
If Barry had known about A-Eon and the A1X1K, I doubt he would have made an offer to Hyperion to pay for a OS4 port to x86 and fee per license.

Yes, yes, just like the community project, brand new operating system better then MacOS X and many, many different things CUSA has paid for development.

damocles 
Posted on 27-Jul-2013 14:38:14
#834 ]

@DiscreetFX

Quote:
One thing Barry proved over time is that he was unwilling to invest even $1 into the Amiga community. I doubt very much he offered to pay for OS4 getting ported to x86.

Why else would he bothered to communicate with Hyperion? He wanted OS4 ported so he could restart Commodore Amiga with AmigaOS (and whatever OS folks wanted on it). Barry knew there is no way in hell Hyperion could afford to port OS4 to x86 and would have to be paid to do so.

klx300r 
Posted on 27-Jul-2013 15:03:57
#835 ]
Elite Member

@RobertJDohnert

hmm changed your corporate logo yet again ?? Top left screenshot logo looks nothing like your avatar ?

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

vox 
Posted on 27-Jul-2013 15:31:10
#836 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

Quote:
Why else would he bothered to communicate with Hyperion? He wanted OS4 ported so he could restart Commodore Amiga with AmigaOS (and whatever OS folks wanted on it). Barry knew there is no way in hell Hyperion could afford to port OS4 to x86 and would have to be paid to do so.

I do recall him slacking AmigaOS as unworthy, as usual. However, no one can confirm or denie this kind of rumor, but anyway it has bare no fruits, so its irrelevant. CUSA has not entered AmigaHistory or Amiga Wiki pages, in despite of tempting name, and so OS/4 Linux will not.

Hypex 
Posted on 27-Jul-2013 16:16:03
#837 ]
Elite Member

@Nobody in partuicular

Just to add, I remember when IBM OS/2 came out. I never saw an OS/1 so didn't know what it was the sequel to, except it looked like it was going against Windows 3.11 IIRC. I never saw an OS/3 but here we have an OS/4 or Linux OS4. So is OS4 a follow up to OS/2 by any chance? Just wondered about it then.

Last edited by Hypex on 27-Jul-2013 at 04:16 PM.

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 27-Jul-2013 17:22:53
#838 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

Actions speak louder than words. Tedd was willing to give Barry time to prove himself but I never saw CommodoreUSA do anything than try to profit off the name of Commodore and the Amiga. And grandos claims they sold 100,000 C64x was laughable when the real number was probably less than AmigaOS4 & MorphOS sales. Unless I see proof I doubt total CUSA sales even reached 100 units. And look how quick they were to pull the plug on their support forums and website. I feel sorry for anyone that was foolish to give them money and now has a unsupported machine with no warranty. I have invested more money into the Amiga community than CUSA ever did. CUSA did nothing more than give $600 plus unnamed royaltys to a shell company.

Kronos 
Posted on 27-Jul-2013 18:36:01
#839 ]
Elite Member

@DiscreetFX

Quote:

DiscreetFX wrote:
@damocles

Actions speak louder than words.....

You now officially owe me 1 irony-meter you just broke !!

ferrels 
Posted on 27-Jul-2013 19:26:59
#840 ]
Cult Member

I can't understand why so many people have even responded to this thread. Dohnert is clearly just another snake oil salesman who started this thread by talking in circles about about a very lame attempt to pass off a Linux distro as something Amiga related.....nothing new to see here....keep on moving.....

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle