Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
22 crawler(s) on-line.
 111 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

NutsAboutAmiga,  matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 NutsAboutAmiga:  3 mins ago
 matthey:  5 mins ago
 ktadd:  32 mins ago
 amigakit:  42 mins ago
 kriz:  53 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 kiFla:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 Hypex:  2 hrs 3 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Powerline home network or wireless adapter?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Amiboy 
Powerline home network or wireless adapter?
Posted on 28-Jun-2013 17:09:13
#1 ]

Hi everyone,

Which would be better to use to get my Sam460 on the internet.

A Ethernet to wireless adapter or a powerline network adapter?

If the powerline system is better (i.e. faster/more reliable) then does anyone know how best to set-it up?

Many thanks to any sensible helpful replies.

A1200, Power Tower, TF1260 128MB RAM, 68060 Rev 6, OS3.9 BB2, HD-Floppy, Mediator TX+ PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Soundblaster 4.1, TV Card, Spider USB, 100MBit Ethernet, 16GB CF HD, 52xCDRom.

Profile     Report this post  
sundown 
Re: Powerline home network or wireless adapter?
Posted on 28-Jun-2013 19:54:12
#2 ]
Elite Member

@Amiboy

I would get a wireless card, I don't think those powerline thingies worked all that well. I considered one once, the reviews made me change my mind.

g01df1sh 
Posted on 28-Jun-2013 20:04:01
#3 ]

@Amiboy

Hi i have used powerline homeplugs a few times now with good success. I recommend the TPLink range

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

Spirantho 
Posted on 28-Jun-2013 21:56:29
#4 ]

I've been using my Powerline adapters since I got BT Vision (with which they came free). They work pretty well, actually - one of them stopped working once (just stayed in StandBy mode with a red light) but a quick change of capacitors fixed that right up. See, it's not just Amigas with dodgy caps. :)

golem 
Posted on 28-Jun-2013 22:11:56
#5 ]

@Amiboy

I use powerline with my A1200s. It is very easy to set up and faster than wireless on a OS3.9 setup but I can't speak for OS4. It is more expensive than wireless but my hand was forced because I couldn't get WPA2 to work with my Amiga in a block of flats but I am happy with it. I use Netgear kit.

utri007 
Posted on 28-Jun-2013 22:22:26
#6 ]

@Amiboy

I've used access point to get internet connection to my Sam. Problem of wireless adapters is that only reliable adapter is PRISM 2 based, wich means max 11mbs wireless connection and they are hard to find. There is a Atheros 5000 driver wich is 54mbs, but I don't know has anyone get it work yet. How ever, I have D-Link G520 adapter still inside of my Sam, because I hope that driver will be fixed soon.

Using access point as a wireless adapter has a some good points, but because I have Sam Flex, I don't suffer lack of free PCI slots.

http://www.amigans.net/modules/xforum/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5966&forum=4

A1200 
Posted on 28-Jun-2013 23:33:06
#7 ]
Elite Member

I as a radio ham cannot endorse powerline adaptors. They are the scourge of the radio spectrum and I implore those who use them to switch to wifi, Ethernet-wifi bridges or Ethernet only.

For more info on this huge problem for people like me please click here and here.

Thank you.

Aslak3 
Posted on 28-Jun-2013 23:40:45
#8 ]

@Amiboy

Wireless is fine for laptops and streaming music players. For everything else use wired. I can't be bothered to cat5 the house so use powerline between rooms. It's ok though rates can be variable espexially if your mains wiring is sub standard. But in general imo wireless is to easy knocked out by microwaves, walls that are more then plasterboard etc. Fine for lappies and phones bit that's it.

danwood 
Posted on 29-Jun-2013 0:30:29
#9 ]

@Amiboy

Great success with powerline adapters here, used them in the last 3 homes I've lived in, just a £10 set off Amazon, worked great for the last 5 years I've had them.

I use one hooked up to a switch in my home office sharing internet between 3 machines and it works great with ethernet into them all, over another powerline adapter in my living room hooked in the router.

Highly recommend them, I get poor wireless reception so they are perfect, not to mention they work with anything that works with standard ethernet, no hunting for wifi drivers and messing around with security settings to work on Amigas etc (usually just WEP iirc).

Amiboy 
Posted on 29-Jun-2013 7:44:33
#10 ]

@thread.

Thanks for the replies.

I think I'll go with the powerline adaptors, PCWorld has a pair plus a 5-port ethernet switch for £26, which will be good enough for me to hook my Sam and my PS3 to the net in my computer room (and a PS4 when its out ).

A1200, Power Tower, TF1260 128MB RAM, 68060 Rev 6, OS3.9 BB2, HD-Floppy, Mediator TX+ PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Soundblaster 4.1, TV Card, Spider USB, 100MBit Ethernet, 16GB CF HD, 52xCDRom.

QuBe 
Posted on 29-Jun-2013 13:14:32
#11 ]

@Amiboy

Ah, the Ps4 :) Could maybe run Aros on it seeing it is x86!

Q!

"i am home"

Amiboy 
Posted on 29-Jun-2013 13:55:43
#12 ]

@Thread

This is my first post online using my Sam460 system! (and my first time online using an Amiga).

I did go with a Powerline adaptor and so far (all 10 minutes of it) so good.

This should make things alot easier for me than having to download everything on my pc, place it on a mem card then transfer that over.

Currently surfing using Reaction OWB.

Amiboy

Hypex 
Posted on 29-Jun-2013 15:17:57
#13 ]
Elite Member

@Amiboy

Was it easy to setup? Good you got it working so soon. I only saw this thread today!

My friend tried to setup a wireless link between his modem router and and his computers router. He bought all sorts of devices for doing a wireless bridge. But it all ended in grief as the signal just went dead. Just can't trust those plaster walls and mirrors on wardrobe dsoors.

I suggested goung the Powerline route. Would have saved a lot of hassle. And money. And actually worked. But now he needs a Powerline adaptor for broadband cable! Guess they don't make those.

Last edited by Hypex on 29-Jun-2013 at 03:18 PM.

Amiboy 
Posted on 29-Jun-2013 15:52:44
#14 ]

@Hypex

Extremely easy.

Just plug on unit into a wallsocket (or multiport extension cable), connected up the ethernet cable to my wireless router. I then plugged the second unit into a wallsocket in my computer room and then ethernet cable to my Sam460.

And that is it, no driver installation, no setting to change on router.

These things are quite amazing really, might put some more round my house as much faster than wireless.

I have read that plugging into extension cables can reduce speed (more so if the extension cable is surge protected) but I feel that the speed I am gettin it perfectly fine.

Hypex 
Posted on 1-Jul-2013 15:57:48
#15 ]
Elite Member

@Amiboy

That's a good setup. I can't beleive it was that easy. I would have expected to at least log onto the plugpack web page and slightly configure it. Good going.
So, what the is make and model for reference? Thanks.

Last edited by Hypex on 02-Jul-2013 at 02:11 PM.

Simon 
Posted on 1-Jul-2013 17:51:43
#16 ]
Cult Member

I threw out my wireless in my "playroom" in favor for powerline adapters .. should have done it earlier. Rockstable, easy to connect older machines like the Amiga's to a switch ...

Wireless is nice for laptops, tablets, smartphones ... but that's about it I think.

The Belgian Amiga Club on FACEBOOK !

The Belgian Amiga Club Website

Amiboy 
Posted on 1-Jul-2013 19:43:17
#17 ]

@Hypex

Hi Hypex,

I am using TP-Link units, model number TL-PA4010KIT 500Mbps.

They seem to be the best in terms of speed for cost of the adaptors (well in the UK atleast).

A1200 
Posted on 2-Jul-2013 0:19:02
#18 ]
Elite Member

Obvoiously my previous post fell on deaf ears. OK if you are not worried about upsetting HF/SW listeners and radio hams, consider that the faster these devices come, the more the interference moves up the RF spectrum. The newer ones are causing interference on the VHF area of the spectrum, which is the civil air band and the FM and (in the UK DAB) broadcast band amongst other things.

I am not scaremongering here, these things literally radiate for what can be a long way through the mains - there is nothing to stop it transmitting down the whole street and beyond. This also has security implications for you as brute force attacks and other hacking attempts can be taken at a much further distance away from your location.

Don't get me wrong, as an IT professional I often have considered the easy option, but then I take a cab to reality street and think about the consequences.

Read more about it on this radio forum, or on a BBC white paper. Even Ofcom (the UK's FCC) show the potential damage to services these devices propose but because they are stuck in-between all kinds of legal and compliance conflicts, they feel at this time they are powerless to enforce the withdrawal of PLTs. See their report here.

Please don't be ignorant or lazy for the sake of your own needs. You should demand better quality products that do not break interference rules in many countries, including the EU states. Its no good saying just because you are unaffected, you should carry on using crap like this that can affect the enjoyment and potentially the safety of others.

danwood 
Posted on 2-Jul-2013 1:37:16
#19 ]

@A1200

I have read this on a few other sites, that Powerlime adapters can interfere with Shortwave Ham radio enthusiasts kits, which is regrettable, but in all honesty I wonder how many ham radio fans still exist?

There is also that much electronic noise around these days anyway, anything from Microwaves to phones to pcs can emit signal distortions. I listen to DAB radio and FM without issue in my home with Powerline adapters, so it's not causing problems there.

if there is a ham radio enthusiast in my building/street I hope I haven't caused them problems, but I'm not convinced its such a popular hobby in 2013, and aren't all the stations on Shortwave available in better quality on-line anyway? I bought a Pure Internet radio, I can listen to stations from all over the world in great quality streamed over the net.

olegil 
Posted on 2-Jul-2013 8:21:02
#20 ]
Elite Member

@danwood

so your opinion is: "I can't see what would be the point of this hobby, so I don't mind taking it away from other people".

Nice attitude coming from someone on an _Amiga_ forum. I'm willing to bet ANYTHING that there's at least 100 times more ham operators than there are active Amiga users

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle