Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 124 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

vox

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 vox:  1 min ago
 kolla:  11 mins ago
 Mr_DBUG:  12 mins ago
 Gunnar:  52 mins ago
 retrofaza:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 saimo:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 44 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga PPC Linux
      /  Beginner on AmigaOne XE Linux
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Spectre660 
Re: Beginner on AmigaOne XE Linux
Posted on 31-Jan-2014 16:59:14
#21 ]
Elite Member

@Geri

Whats the problem with the A1XE4 ?

Anyone want to try to compile a 3.13.1 kernel for the A1 for fun using the config below ?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5429075/Linux/Kernel%203.13/AmigaOne-3.13.1.config

Quote:

Geri wrote:
@Morphix

Quote:
Is there a link to an iso of an up to date installer to download? Of course this iso should fit to the mentioned guide.

Hypex prepared a Debian Squeeze installer some time ago, which uses a 2.6.31 kernel. Note however that it may not run flawlessy on G4 machines. I have Debian Wheezy running fine on my A1SE, but I can barely get it to boot on my A1XEG4 at the moment with any 3.2+ Linux kernel.

Profile     Report this post  
Geri 
Posted on 31-Jan-2014 18:24:14
#22 ]
Elite Member

@Spectre660

Quote:
Spectre660 wrote:
@Geri

Whats the problem with the A1XE4 ?

Good question! I see a different behavior between G3 and G4 machines, but I doubt it has anything todo with Altivec. At least there seems to be a problem with the interrupt (stack) handling at the moment. There was a patch posted, but I didn't verify yet, if it went upstream.

Quote:
Anyone want to try to compile a 3.13.1 kernel for the A1 for fun using the config below ?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5429075/Linux/Kernel%203.13/AmigaOne-3.13.1.config

What's special about this config (except for the CONFIG_HZ_1000 and the non-voluntary PREEMPT config)?

- A1 Linux support -

Spectre660 
Posted on 31-Jan-2014 19:43:52
#23 ]
Elite Member

@Geri

Nothing Special. Changes from the original 2.631.1 .config :
changes the RCU Subsystem, uses Slub instead of Slab ,Attempts to Enables DRM and removes the framebuffers.

Geri 
Posted on 31-Jan-2014 21:14:19
#24 ]
Elite Member

@Spectre660

Quote:
Spectre660 wrote:
@Geri

Nothing Special. Changes from the original 2.631.1 .config :
changes the RCU Subsystem, uses Slub instead of Slab ,Attempts to Enables DRM and removes the framebuffers.

My kernels already come with the DRM drivers (the radeonfb driver can be disabled with video=radeonfb:off to switch to kernel mode setting), but the AmigaOne hardware isn't really prepared for DRI2 likely due to the heavy paging done by the TTM code. DRI1 on the others side worked almost fine on my A1SE (it basically does a static mapping of memory into the GART). Unfortunately the XE again is another topic.Thus it also looks like a hardware problem for me (lockups due to large PCI transfers!?, etc.).

The changes to the RCU subsystem and the different allocator may surely be better suited for a system like the AmigaOne.

Last edited by Geri on 31-Jan-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Last edited by Geri on 31-Jan-2014 at 09:17 PM.

- A1 Linux support -

Varthall 
Posted on 24-Nov-2014 16:26:40
#25 ]

@Hypex

Hi,

The DebianInstaller.lha archive seems to be offline, would you please upload it again? I'd like to try to install Linux again on my A1. The /6.0.8/powerpc/iso-cd/ folder is also missing on debian.org, any idea if it's still stored somewhere?

Thanks
Varthall

Hypex 
Posted on 25-Nov-2014 14:19:19
#26 ]
Elite Member

@Varthall

I'll check and re-up the files. Will reply back when done.

Okay done.

Installer:
http://home.lizzy.com.au/dmaen/downloads/BootTest.iso

Needs:
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.7.0/powerpc/iso-cd/debian-7.7.0-powerpc-CD-1.iso

Boot with my disc. There are some boot options for DMA and USB. If you have two drives stick the Debian one in the other. Otherwise wait until mine loads up when you boot it then swap after it loads in data and brings up a menu.

It's not out of beta yet. It will attempt to attach itself to existing boot menu when installed. Otherwise you will need to create a small boot partition (~100MB more than enough) in the installer, format it as Ext2 and mount it as "/boot/a1boot".

Hope that's enough info!

Last edited by Hypex on 26-Nov-2014 at 02:12 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 8-Dec-2014 13:39:33
#27 ]
Elite Member

@Varthall

Do any good?

Varthall 
Posted on 8-Dec-2014 15:30:53
#28 ]

@Hypex

Thanks, downloading now, I'll let you know :)

Varthall

Varthall 
Posted on 13-Dec-2014 10:26:55
#29 ]

@Hypex

I have unfortunately not managed to install Debian yet. My AmigaOne sometimes hangs during the hard drives detection, other times while showing the "Detecting hardware" screen, most of the times it proceeds until the "Select language" screen. At that point I am not able to choose any language nor to proceed with the installation, it isnot clear if the keyboard isn't detected at that point or if the system has freezed. Unplugging and plugging again the USB keyboard doesn't help, the same happens if the keyboard is plugged in the rear USB port. No difference if DMA and the cache are disabled. The keyboard works in the Wheezy/Wheezy debug screen, though.

Varthall

Hypex 
Posted on 13-Dec-2014 14:37:05
#30 ]
Elite Member

@Varthall

That's not good and I haven't heard of it breaking so early. Do you have a PS/2 keyboard to test with? I wonder if disabling USB can help.

Also, what is this Wheezy debug screen? How did you get to it? And any errors reported on it?

Last edited by Hypex on 24-Feb-2017 at 12:59 PM.

Geri 
Posted on 13-Dec-2014 15:37:12
#31 ]
Elite Member

@Varthall

Quote:
Varthall wrote:
@Hypex

I have unfortunately not managed to install Debian yet. My AmigaOne sometimes hangs during the hard drives detection, other times while showing the "Detecting hardware" screen, most of the times it proceeds until the "Select language" screen. At that point I am not able to choose any language nor to proceed with the installation, it isnot clear if the keyboard isn't detected at that point or if the system has freezed. Unplugging and plugging again the USB keyboard doesn't help, the same happens if the keyboard is plugged in the rear USB port. No difference if DMA and the cache are disabled. The keyboard works in the Wheezy/Wheezy debug screen, though.

I would give it a try without any USB device connected and USB disabled as Hypex suggested.

On the other side I know of another user, which has problems with Linux on his A1XE G4 7457. He only sent me the harddrive to install Debian Squeeze on it and while it was working more or less okay on my A1XE G4, he couldn't get it to boot most of the time.

BTW: make sure Linux doesn't see the onboard IDE controller (move all drives to a SATA controller or similar). Something seems to be wrong in the pata_via driver or elsewhere in the v3.x kernel that leads to a complete system freeze when drives are probed.

- A1 Linux support -

Hypex 
Posted on 14-Dec-2014 13:57:39
#32 ]
Elite Member

@Geri

Oh hi Geri.

What CPU do you have? My A1 has a 750 FX G3 and my tests have been fine.

I am surprised a G4 would break, I would have expected an SE to break first.

IIRC, I simplfied the boot menu so DMA could be set, but took out the bus disabling. I wonder now if the probe code is breaking on the onboard IDE somehow? I recall you saying something about UBoot not leaving the registers in a proper state so that a bus would be detected as disabled or something like that?

Perhaps download the latest build of my installer and see if it boots on your machines?

@Varthall

What is your IDE setup?

Last edited by Hypex on 24-Feb-2017 at 01:01 PM.

Geri 
Posted on 14-Dec-2014 14:52:06
#33 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Hypex wrote:
@Geri

Oh hi Geri.

Hi Hypex! (since a long time)

Quote:
What CPU do you have? My A1 has a 750 FX G3 and my tests have been fine.

My A1XE has the standard G4 MPC7455 model. The 7457 models normally only come as replacement part on the 1GHz CPU modules. As you know, I always considered that the G4 CPUs must do something different that isn't well received by the rest of the A1 hardware.

Quote:
I am surprised a G4 would break, I would have expected an SE to break first.

My A1SE is actually quite stable under Linux, if the onboard IDE is not used. Naturally DMA is not usable on this machine. But remember that I even had DRI1 (hardware graphics acceleration) running on my A1SE, which doesn't work on the A1XE.

Quote:
IIRC, I simplfied the boot menu so DMA could be set, but took out the bus disabling. I wonder now if the probe code is breaking on the onboard IDE somehow? I recall you saying something about UBoot not leaving the registers in a proper state so that a bus would be detected as disabled or something like that?

Well, IIRC U-Boot just sets a variable that tells OS4 to not probe the onboard IDE controller. Linux (still) doesn't know about that variable. AFAICT the PC BIOS on the other side sets a programming interface register in the PCI config space of the IDE controller according to the enabled IDE channels. This register is usually read by Linux' ATA drivers to determine the available IDE channels before probing any storage devices.

Quote:
Perhaps download the latst build of my installer and see if it boots on your machines?

Yes, I'll just have to survive another week until I can dedicate my time to more interesting topics like this.

- A1 Linux support -

Hypex 
Posted on 20-Dec-2014 14:09:47
#34 ]
Elite Member

@Geri

Quote:
My A1XE has the standard G4 MPC7455 model

And you still have some problems? It seems this escalates when a later CPU or replacement CPU is used. I wonder if this is a hardware issue related to the module or just the internals of the G4 used?

Quote:
My A1SE is actually quite stable under Linux

DRI working on the SE, amazing.

Quote:
Linux (still) doesn't know about that variable.

I suppose I could read the UBoot variables for internal IDE from the SLB booter and modify the IDE registers acccordingly but then when the kernel boots from HD it is back to square one.

Quote:
This register is usually read by Linux' ATA drivers to determine the available IDE channels before probing any storage devices.

OTOH, you could add a special kernel arg (is that possible?) that sets the IDE register at startup, so when the ATA driver comes around to snoop the register is set correctly. If that is causing the lock ups. Don't know if variables can be read otherwise. From the information above it could be just hanging and not actually locked up fully,.

Geri 
Posted on 26-Dec-2014 20:41:15
#35 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Hypex wrote:
@Geri

And you still have some problems? It seems this escalates when a later CPU or replacement CPU is used. I wonder if this is a hardware issue related to the module or just the internals of the G4 used?

I would suspect that it is CPU specific, but it could also have something todo with the module. However then it would be a systematic error that affects all G4 CPU modules.

Quote:
DRI working on the SE, amazing.

Unfortunately it is only DRI1 and not the newer DRI2 with KMS, but see here: http://a.fsdn.com/con/app/proj/amigaone-linux/screenshots/A1SE_DRI1_Radeon9200.png

The black rectangle over glxgears comes from the snapshot tool.

Quote:
I suppose I could read the UBoot variables for internal IDE from the SLB booter and modify the IDE registers acccordingly but then when the kernel boots from HD it is back to square one.

That would be the most elegant solution!

Quote:
OTOH, you could add a special kernel arg (is that possible?) that sets the IDE register at startup, so when the ATA driver comes around to snoop the register is set correctly. If that is causing the lock ups. Don't know if variables can be read otherwise. From the information above it could be just hanging and not actually locked up fully,.

A special kernel arg would also be possible, but then a user can also use U-Boot's "pci write.b" command to modify the programming interface register before the slb_v2 bootloader is started.
The interesting thing is that I only see the lockup on my A1XE, but IIRC not on the A1SE (I'll have to recheck that). Thus it could really just be hanging on the A1XE and at the same time blocking the rest of the kernel too...

- A1 Linux support -

Hypex 
Posted on 27-Dec-2014 14:15:14
#36 ]
Elite Member

@Geri

Quote:
Unfortunately it is only DRI1 and not the newer DRI2 with KMS

So it is but better than a generic framebuffer. Now all you need is to get it working on the XE and G4 CPUs. We'll be lacking behind the Sam440 soon.

Quote:
That would be the most elegant solution!

Easy enough to implement with the right knowledge. And you did recommend to replace the SLB with Parthenope.

Quote:
A special kernel arg would also be possible, but then a user can also use U-Boot's "pci write.b" command

Yes I was aware of the write command but wanted to avoid inserting a technical command into a persons boot script.

From my experience with "beta testers" your "/boot/a1boot" system is confusing enough. I don't want to make it worse!

Geri 
Posted on 27-Dec-2014 20:15:55
#37 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Hypex wrote:
@Geri

Quote:
Unfortunately it is only DRI1 and not the newer DRI2 with KMS

So it is but better than a generic framebuffer. Now all you need is to get it working on the XE and G4 CPUs. We'll be lacking behind the Sam440 soon.

I'm afraid that will not be so easy. DRI1 will be phased out sooner or later and DRI2 is a whole different story. Unlike DRI1 with its more or less static memory mapping DRI2 dynamically maps system memory in and out of the graphics aperture for access by the GPU. It looks like the A1 isn't that happy with this approach.

Quote:
Easy enough to implement with the right knowledge. And you did recommend to replace the SLB with Parthenope.

Yes, why not. Parthenope would be the better (because it is easier to use and more configurable) bootloader, if it can also boot OS4 on the AmigaOne.

Quote:
Yes I was aware of the write command but wanted to avoid inserting a technical command into a persons boot script.

Well, the boot script (aka U-Boot's bootcmd variable) or U-Boot settings in general aren't changed a lot, so that shouldn't hurt.

Quote:
From my experience with "beta testers" your "/boot/a1boot" system is confusing enough. I don't want to make it worse!

That's sad to hear!
Where there any specific objections raised?

- A1 Linux support -

Spectre660 
Posted on 28-Dec-2014 12:51:49
#38 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2740#p30846

Geri 
Posted on 28-Dec-2014 13:41:14
#39 ]
Elite Member

@Spectre660

That reminds me that I have to try out MATE on my A1SE. GNOME3 is slow and LXDE isn't that user-friendly.

- A1 Linux support -

Hypex 
Posted on 30-Dec-2014 15:08:40
#40 ]
Elite Member

@Geri

Quote:
I'm afraid that will not be so easy. DRI1 will be phased out sooner or later and DRI2 is a whole different story.

It was good while it lasted. A but like MoL, really.

Quote:
Yes, why not.

Three resons come to mind:
1.) It doesn't support FFS2 and that would have to be added in.
2.) I kinda hacked some things in there for the installer so would need to clean it up or split it off into a different build.
3.) I don't like the idea of replacing a persons SLB. Seems too far just to install Linux and I have seen a friends OS4 system break because of this. Or because of number 1.

Quote:
U-Boot settings in general aren't changed a lot, so that shouldn't hurt.

No but I have thought of doing it. Infact I could probably automate it to do it from the SLB. If it doesn't break the boot.

Quote:
Where there any specific objections raised?

Yes, but more a question that objection. For example, "/boot" is setup in installer menu for boot volume, why can't that be used?

People can also wonder about this extra "a1boot" folder and why it is there. Or not there in testing.

I'm used to it now. Even if "/boot/a1boot" isn't at "/boot".

Last edited by Hypex on 09-Jan-2015 at 10:50 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle