Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
26 crawler(s) on-line.
 76 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  8 mins ago
 Dragster:  9 mins ago
 Karlos:  17 mins ago
 bhabbott:  53 mins ago
 amig_os:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 mbrantley:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 michalsc:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 Tpod:  2 hrs 20 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Development
      /  AmiDARK Engine Sources for sale
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
AmiDARK 
Re: AmiDARK Engine Sources for sale
Posted on 28-May-2014 9:02:22
#41 ]

@all :
Thank you to all donators.

@Templario :
I don't understand exactly your proposal.
Contact me in PM if you prefer.
But don't forget that the Bounty will be validated only if it reach at least 2000€.
So your donation can be counted in (officially) only if it already reach the mentioned sum. (then your donation will be used for the "optional" stuffs mentioned in the bounty "optionals"

Last edited by AmiDARK on 28-May-2014 at 04:09 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Templario 
Posted on 29-May-2014 10:15:57
#42 ]
Elite Member

@AmiDARK

Done, I did the donation.

Arko 
Posted on 29-May-2014 18:06:52
#43 ]

@AmiDARK

Quote:

Here it is, the bounty is up : http://www.power2people.org/projects/amidark/

I don't think this library will bring more "AmigaNG generic" games than SDL and I have my doubts a GFX library not used for (more than one) demo or game is worth the money you are asking for.

You may have spend a lot of time programing, easily worth more than 2000€ but I don't think it will make it worth the money you are asking for.

Well that why I'm surprised how much people payed on the bounty.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

Overflow 
Posted on 30-May-2014 13:00:28
#44 ]

@Arko

Isnt it good to have a "game enigne" available for the Amiga OS4?

Even if "not many" is using it at the moment, atleast its there and available to be used if anyone
is so inclined....?

asymetrix 
Posted on 30-May-2014 14:05:55
#45 ]
Cult Member

@AmiDARK

I am sorry for your troubles.

Please caould you make youtube videos showing Amidark playing / compiling different games.

I want to see how good games this can make.

How long will this bounty support your family ?

I also suggest you setup 5$-$10 every month membership to Games and Apps created with Amidark.

You create a monthly PDF teaching how to make games and apps, right now we have Amidark but not many people know what can it do or how make games.

If Amidark also work on PC I would love to learn how to make games, menu systems, effects.

Amiga needs good games developer system, but its useless if its not being used or being tested/improved/documented so it grows better each day.

Please setup also the next stages of Amidark.

I remember back in the day we had c64/msx games magazines had little programs in that we typed late at night - just to play a game.
I also loved the 'Games creator' books for the Basic computers, this what made computers popular and fun - i loved it.

This is what people need a whole gaming community built and having documents, code being posted and people playing the games together.

AmiDARK 
Posted on 30-May-2014 14:31:52
#46 ]

@arko :
I understand your point of view.
Because Amiga community is a "niche" market and that's why you think it is not worth the 2000€ as, on a more "popular" platform (like PC) it will worth more than 2000€.
Am I right in my understanding of what you said ?
I think this point of view depend of how you live "Amiga passion"...

@Asymetrix : There are 2 videos on youtube concerning the AmiDARK Engine :
I can create more if needed (will try to do some, during next week).
Yeah I understand your needs to see games running on it. I will check what I can do for this.
Concerning the bounty support, even if it support my family, I prefer to be seen as it's in some sort a "sale of copyright" for the community. However, our financial ressources should be better later at august this year. These 2000€ should help us maintain us not to negative during the remaining period.

What do you mean with the $5/$10 every month membership to games and Apps with AmiDARK ?
I remind, during years 1998/1999 TheGameCreators (that was called DarkBASIC Software), during the development of "DarkBASIC Professional", made a "private" website called "DBDN" (DarkBASIC Developer Network) that followed this :
- You subscribe for a precise duration with a specific price (like 10$/15$ per months)
- In the website you had access to the "developers diary" showing all the progress on the DarkBASIC Professional engine development.
- There were private version alpha/beta of the products.
- There were private demonstrations to download.
Do you think to something like this but with helps on how to create video games on Amiga Computers ?

On PC, you do not need to have AmiDARK Engine, check "DarkGDK" from TheGameCreators, it's the same principle. The only changes is that commands/functions prefis is "db" on DarkGDK and "de" on AmiDARK Engine.

I understand concerning evolutions and improvements to makes it grow progressively.

I also understand concerning old magazines but, understand that, to be really interesting (in both part, the website owner/developer and the registered users), the website must bring enough to the developer to allow him spend enough time developing new articles, samples, ressources for them).
Are we sure there should be enough people that'll register that kind of website ?
Or, if we extend to another support, enought people that'll register that kind of "electronic magazine" ?
I like the idea of "gaming community" but ... When I created the AmiDARK Engine forums ... only "really few" peoples registered ... The forum is ... not used ... I'm not sure we will have enough people for that kind of initiative :(

The most difficult part will be (in my side), that I'm not a company and owning, and receiving money for that kind of work ... is not really legal without being a company (in France)... If this idea is liked by many people, I'll have to investigate to know how I can do this.

Thank you for these really interesting ideas.

Kindest Regards,
Frederic Aka AmiDARK

Last edited by AmiDARK on 30-May-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Last edited by AmiDARK on 30-May-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Last edited by AmiDARK on 30-May-2014 at 02:32 PM.

Overflow 
Posted on 30-May-2014 14:48:57
#47 ]

@AmiDARK

Donated 50 euros.

Hope the bounty exceedes the secondary goals. Would be awesome if MorphOS and X1000 could get
full support for this Game Engine.

Raised 29% of €2000 goal. Not bad for 2 days of bounty

Good luck to you Sir!

Last edited by Overflow on 30-May-2014 at 03:17 PM.

AmiDARK 
Posted on 30-May-2014 16:06:38
#48 ]

@Overflow
Thank you

Thank you to all others that have already donated for this project.

I've forgottent the link for the 2 available video :
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6Q17EL65z6HFt3HfZ_C_6Cb9bPGb7RDS

t0lkien 
Posted on 30-May-2014 20:13:18
#49 ]

Donated a few euros.

amigadave 
Posted on 31-May-2014 8:21:29
#50 ]

@AmiDARK

It is my hope that this bounty will be successfully fulfilled and that you will be able to continue your work on completing the project, with the additional help of other knowledgeable Amiga programmers in an Open Source setting, with Fredrick as the lead person.

t0lkien 
Posted on 31-May-2014 9:49:37
#51 ]

But I don´t know who has the skill and time to update this project...

Overflow 
Posted on 31-May-2014 13:00:21
#52 ]

@t0lkien

Quote:
f this project is successfully funded (by raising a minimum of 2000 Euro), and as long as the resulting ports stay true to the original version of the AmiDARK Engine in terms of user experience and command sets, Frédéric Cordier plans to share all source code that he will develop himself for future versions of the AmiDARK Engine for free

That said;

I supported the bounty for a few reasons;

1) Already a impressive Game Development Kit as it stands now, something I do belive the Amiga platform needs. While the Amiga platform can be called out for being marginal on the grand scheme of things, and the money to performance ratio to be unfavorable in most aspects, at the end of the day you can decide wether or not to support those high skill developers that remain. Or not.

2) Over the years there has been several complaints regarding the lack of "serious" and modern productivity software. Aeon/Amigakit is working towards a officepackage, driver(s) and Amigashop App.
Broadblues is doing magic with this graphics program, Liveforit got a mammoth thread on Amigans with regards to Mplayer development etc. The list of skilled developers are actually quite healthy all things considering, but end users have to at one point show some appriciation for the hard work thru show of intrest and even donations/purchases.

3) I can easily afford the rather small donation I gave, and if enough people think that way, suddenly the bounty requirements are met.
Its one of the benefits of bounties; the impact on the wallet for each one of us is marginal, but for the reciver of the bounty, it can have a rather substantial impact on the ability to continue the development of whatever project (s)he is undertaking.

If we want AmigaOS to have new developments having more efficient tools surely cant hurt.
Dissmissing a software development on the basis that its not being used much at the moment, or there arent x amount of developers lined up right now to continue the development seems shortsighted.
Even if its "only" Frédéric Cordier that continues the development in the foreseeable future since every other developer is busy with their own projects, atleast he got some money to show for his effort.
Like Fab and his Odyssey bounty.
If the package isnt available AND advertised, noone will ever start using it.

I could mention one flaw regarding AmiDark, which pertains to other software too;
Not spreading the word enough. Broadblues has been much more active with his updates, using youtube to demostrate software updates and features.
The same with the last few games in 2013-14 that has been released. The developers and some users has hyped/kept the threads regarding those games alive/frontpage of forums, which hopefully have translated into some monetary return...

Last edited by Overflow on 31-May-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Last edited by Overflow on 31-May-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Last edited by Overflow on 31-May-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Last edited by Overflow on 31-May-2014 at 01:06 PM.

DC_Edge 
Posted on 31-May-2014 13:05:51
#53 ]

I'll give some € also, as soon as money come back in manking account;)

This may be some sort of new Amos, with a bit of work;)

Arko 
Posted on 31-May-2014 16:52:35
#54 ]

@Overflow

Quote:

Overflow wrote:
@Arko

Isnt it good to have a "game enigne" available for the Amiga OS4?

Yes, and it is free, used by a lot of AmigaNG games and portable to a lot of other systems (If you know what I'm talking about)

Last edited by Arko on 31-May-2014 at 04:56 PM.

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

Overflow 
Posted on 31-May-2014 17:05:25
#55 ]

@Arko

I assume you talk about quick porting to IOS, Windows, Android, Morphos, etc etc with minor tweaking.

http://www.amidark-engine.com/spip.php?article2

Quote:
A compatibility comparative with TheGameCreators products such as DarkGDK and DarkBASIC Professional. The objective is to show you how it will be easy to migrate source code from these two products to AmiDARK Engine and see them running on your Amiga OS 4.1 or MorphOS.

A good question tho Arko.

Arko 
Posted on 31-May-2014 17:33:58
#56 ]

@Overflow

Quote:

I assume you talk about ...

I just expressed my doubts about the AmiDARK Engine if you want to know what I didn't like ... than read again.

If you want to know what game engine for AOS4 I would prefere (like so many developers) just read my postings, I have named it.

---

I won't write more about this topic, I have said enough. Repeating it would be considered as trolling negativeness, FUD or Anti AOS4 propaganda (even if this 'Engine' supports MOS) by some zealots here.

Last edited by Arko on 31-May-2014 at 05:36 PM.

Templario 
Posted on 31-May-2014 18:16:02
#57 ]
Elite Member

@Arko

Do not be angry friend, is normal in these forums that people crush anyone who thinks different.... I know the feeling......

AmiDARK 
Posted on 31-May-2014 19:07:07
#58 ]

@Arko : I understand what you're saying and, I already know that SDL is "multi system compatible" and have already many games ported to AmigaOS (Thank you Huno for all the ports he've done!) but, is SDL really optimised for our Amiga configuration ?
The SDL "abstraction layer" seem to be really "heavy" and the games ported from PC to Amiga ... Are really ... NOT optimised ... The results = Low Frame Rate on middle class configuration (like Sam440EP). Sometimes games are not playable! And, in my opinion, it's a shame!

I remind that, in the good old yeard, on a PC computer running 666Mhz and Radeon 9200 like video card ... Performances were better .. I know that our 3D drivers are ... hum ... How can say it ? ... non-existent ... But I think that creating a GDK entirely on our Amiga should allow us to get better results. That's why I started the AmiDARK Engine years ago!

After all, everyone is free to prefer one GDK or another. There's no problem for me with that :)
We all love Amiga trying to make it alive in the way we are the most sensitive ;)

Regards,
AmiDARK

Fransexy 
Posted on 31-May-2014 19:08:09
#59 ]
Elite Member

@Arko

Quote:

.....would be considered as trolling negativeness, FUD or Anti AOS4 propaganda

you reap what you sow

amigadave 
Posted on 31-May-2014 19:38:07
#60 ]

@thread

The fact that the AmiDARK Engine is for AmigaOS4.x & MorphOS and possibly AmigaOS3.x & AROS in the future, and is attempting to make the best use of our existing hardware and drivers, with the possibility of being enhanced if/when better 3D graphics drivers are released in the future, makes it easy for me to support, instead of ports of SDL, which are good, but may not make the best use of, or integrate the best with our favorite computer API.

The fact that AmiDARK Engine has been worked on for years and the developer wants to continue refining it in the future, is another reason why I would want to support this bounty.

The community needs to support existing Amiga programmers, so they are not forced to abandon Amiga programming projects in favor of programming projects for other platforms, only because they pay better.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle