Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 118 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  11 mins ago
 Troels:  56 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 42 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 45 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 58 mins ago
 Comi:  3 hrs 27 mins ago
 vox:  4 hrs 13 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Hyperion Entertainment is not bankrupt
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 Next Page )
PosterThread
cdimauro 
Re: Hyperion Entertainment bankrupt?
Posted on 21-Apr-2015 5:18:53
#1741 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

Quote:

amigadave wrote:
@lylehaze

Sounds like a Xena/\Xorro slot 32bit x86 bridgeboard would be a useful addition for creating other Xena/XMOS uses. If it were integrated as seamlessly, or even better, than the old Commodore and GoldenGate bridgeboards were for AmigaOS2.x & AmigaOS3.x, and it did not cost more than a regular x86 mobo, I'll bet that many X1000 & X5000 owners would consider buying one.

XCores are I/O chip, so they are pretty useless for the average user needs.

Why do you want to invest time and resources on such crappy stuff?

Profile     Report this post  
sundown 
Posted on 21-Apr-2015 5:21:34
#1742 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:
Why do you want to invest time and resources on such crappy stuff?

Because we aren't you...

kolla 
Posted on 21-Apr-2015 5:56:18
#1743 ]
Elite Member

@agami

Quote:

agami wrote:
@resle

Quote:

resle wrote:
@agami

[quote]
All modern operating systems are DOS based.

no.

Yes.[/quote]

What the heck do you mean with "DOS"? If you mean "disk operating system", I cannot think of any modern operating system that is DOS based. Not even modern Windows.

olegil 
Posted on 21-Apr-2015 6:33:12
#1744 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

I don't think you know what an "I/O chip" usually is, but an XCore is not that. There are things you can do with an XCore that is way beyond anything a normal MCU could do, far into FPGA territory. However, I personally would have liked it better if they had just put a smallish spare FPGA in there for playing around with.

The XCore is somewhat like the QuiccEngine of the PowerQuicc processors, including selected P and T series QorIQ members. In fact, I would go so far as to say it's EXACTLY like the QE. Except the QE comes with binary code only, because Freescale hasn't seen a market for letting most people write their own code.

I have about a ton of features wishes in products here at work that could fairly easily be solved by an XCore, but the Windows based development is really putting me off it.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

Rob 
Posted on 21-Apr-2015 7:07:14
#1745 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5eU8pHpy-c#t=21

agami 
Posted on 21-Apr-2015 7:21:06
#1746 ]

@kolla + @resle

Please don't confuse DOS as an OS framework and DOS as a product, e.g. MS-DOS, PC DOS, etc.

In the classification of computer control systems, the principles of DOS emerged well before any company started using the label. It was when the the Store function was moving away from sequential access on tape, to block addressable access on disk.

If we apply the biology classification tree: Kingdom > Phylum > Class > Order > Suborder > Family > Genus > Species, DOS principles go all the way back to Class level.

The operating systems that used the label DOS are a Family of operating systems, with AmigaDOS later Amiga OS and AmigaOS being Species.

I can't think of a modern operating system that doesn't belong to the same common Class of operating systems.

If you do know of any I would sincerely like to know.

Last edited by agami on 21-Apr-2015 at 07:21 AM.

resle 
Posted on 21-Apr-2015 7:30:36
#1747 ]
Cult Member

@agami

Quote:

If we apply the biology classification tree: Kingdom > Phylum > Class > Order > Suborder > Family > Genus > Species [...]

you have to be the most obnoxious person ever to write on the Internet.

Last edited by resle on 21-Apr-2015 at 07:43 AM.

Kronos 
Posted on 21-Apr-2015 7:50:12
#1748 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:

a lot of us don't want AmigaOS to go the same way as BeOS.

Ah yeah, the BeBox, the first and eventually fatal blow to BeOS

@AmigaDave

Sounds like the most brainfarted solution for a sympton of a problem that doesn't even exist for 99% of the users (thought about writing 99.9%, but that would have meant fracturing users ).

agami 
Posted on 21-Apr-2015 7:55:30
#1749 ]

@XMOSians

The XMOS tech is very cool, but unfortunately it is only half baked.

Throughout history there have been many cool pieces of new thinking expressed in silicon, most of them failed to live up to their full potential because the second half of the equation was left for someone else to solve.

Transmeta's Crusoe, IBM/Toshiba/Sony's Cell BE, and HP/intel's EPIC Itanium are good recent examples of silicon potential let down by poor tooling.

Like building an awesome house but not installing any doors or windows on the ground level. And I'm sure there are other analogies.

This is why often silicon which is inferior accomplishes the task quicker. The method might not be the most elegant but the tooling is so mature that a person can create an application very quickly.

In the motor industry there is an example of the standard piston and camshaft internal combustion engine which is found in most cars and trucks, and then there a more efficient engines like the rotary engine. It wasn't that long ago the regular internal combustion engine operated at 26% efficiency, and the Wankel rotary was operating at around the low 40s.

But given the amount of manufacturing pipeline and scale around the regular engine, the ability to solve efficiency problems has progressed much faster than in the world of the rotary where only a few manufacturers are still developing the technology. Today's 4-stroke, multi-valve, fuel injected, computer controlled internal combustion engine runs in the high 30s in terms of efficiency. The regular engine might not have solved the problems in the most elegant way and has become even more complex over the decades, but it solved the problem, and given the scale of manufacturing and global supply chains it has become even less expensive. Hmmm, that reminds me of another thing going on in our world

Coming back to my main point. XMOS will only be truly cool, when there are powerful and easy to use tools to leverage the power of the XMOS design. Until then, a programer who already uses a mature SDK and IDE will be able to just instruct the increasingly powerful CPU.

Delivery is everything.

Last edited by agami on 21-Apr-2015 at 01:11 PM.
Last edited by agami on 21-Apr-2015 at 08:02 AM.
Last edited by agami on 21-Apr-2015 at 07:58 AM.
Last edited by agami on 21-Apr-2015 at 07:58 AM.

agami 
Posted on 21-Apr-2015 7:57:25
#1750 ]

@resle

Quote:

Do I get some kind of award?

Boot_WB 
Posted on 21-Apr-2015 8:48:26
#1751 ]

@AmigaDave

Quote:
Kronos wrote:

@AmigaDave
Quote:
AmigaDave wrote:

Sounds like a Xena/\Xorro slot 32bit x86 bridgeboard would be a useful addition for creating other Xena/XMOS uses. If it were integrated as seamlessly, or even better, than the old Commodore and GoldenGate bridgeboards were for AmigaOS2.x & AmigaOS3.x, and it did not cost more than a regular x86 mobo, I'll bet that many X1000 & X5000 owners would consider buying one.

Sounds like the most brainfarted solution for a sympton of a problem that doesn't even exist for 99% of the users (thought about writing 99.9%, but that would have meant fracturing users ).

The original bridgeboards made sense before the days of home/small-office networks being the norm, remote applications such as synergy, vnc, remote desktop, etc, were around, and when folks were limited at best to 10Mbps network.. or serial/parallel links.. shudder!

These days: buy an x86 box, stick it in the spare room, and remote in by gigabit lan or wireless 54Mbps.. there's just no need for expensive, difficult to obtain/maintain/replace/upgrade bridgeboards.

EDIT: removed extraneous apostrophe /me looks balefully at autocorrect function.

Last edited by Boot_WB on 21-Apr-2015 at 08:58 AM.
Last edited by Boot_WB on 21-Apr-2015 at 08:50 AM.
Last edited by Boot_WB on 21-Apr-2015 at 08:49 AM.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 21-Apr-2015 8:54:17
#1752 ]

@agami

Quote:

agami wrote:
@resle

Quote:

Do I get some kind of award?

Hyperion are looking for a new MD. Abilities to be obnoxious and to spout meaningless corporate aphorisms are considered to be advantageous for the post.

TRIPOS 
Posted on 21-Apr-2015 11:26:10
#1753 ]

@Kronos

Quote:

Kronos wrote:
@pavlor

Define "minimal" ....

If the XMOS was really added as an afterthought then it surely has added >100€ to the cost which IMO isn't "minimal" even in a 3000€ product.

It's not the cost of the added components and PCB complexity that's the main problem here, the biggest part of the X1000 cost - since it's only made in a few hundred units in total - surely comes from the per-unit-price of R&D (including testing) and this is where the "Xorro"/"Xena"/"Xmos" adds up the most. And this is even before the BOM is calculated.

I have never ever seen anyone who has managed to come up with a use for it at all, it offers nothing at all beyond PCI/PCI-E and USB. It's completely useless and completely worthless. The only thing it achieves is adding cost to an already crazy price.

And now they do it all over again with the X5000!

TRIPOS 
Posted on 21-Apr-2015 11:32:39
#1754 ]

@pavlor

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
@realize

All trolls are welcomed in this thread.

The only trolls I have seen in this thread is the handful of people who constantly spam it with "you are a troll" comments.

@sundown

Quote:

sundown wrote:
@Kronos

Quote:
Actually us "trolls" are the one that pointed out that most X1000-costumers have 0 use and very little interest in XMOS/Xorro making it an useless expense.

No, you trolls keep bringing up crap you know nothing about & posting it as facts. Trolls are experts on everything they've never used, thats the problem.

Kronos told the truth. The only thing the XMOS/Xorro thing has done for X1000 users, is making them poorer by draining their wallets more than necessary.

BTW, "Hate tends to make you look stupid..."

TRIPOS 
Posted on 21-Apr-2015 11:42:58
#1755 ]

@retro

Quote:

retro wrote:
@Kronos

If the XMOS was really added as an afterthought then it surely has added >100€ to the cost which IMO isn't "minimal" even in a 3000€ product.

stop talking like the price is 3000€, thease prices are unacceptable,dont give them any impresion that it will fly with thouse prices.. it out of porpotion...

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=37_86&products_id=1071

X1000 system with

Accessories: None
Case: Black
Extra ports: None
GFX Card: Radeon HD R7 250 X
HDD: 1TB
Optical Drive: DVDRW
OS Installed: 4.1 Update 6

€3050 EUR excluding shipment.

Rob 
Posted on 21-Apr-2015 14:16:17
#1756 ]
Elite Member

@TRIPOS

Quote:
I have never ever seen anyone who has managed to come up with a use for it at all, it offers nothing at all beyond PCI/PCI-E and USB. It's completely useless and completely worthless. The only thing it achieves is adding cost to an already crazy price.

A catweasle like floppy controller, ports legacy for joysticks and other input devices, MIDI, LCD controller etc. All things that you can probably do with USB or a PCI card but if you could have them all on one board that requires fewer support chips it could make sense. Of course, it would only be only be worthwhile if it work out cheaper and you had use for a number of different features.

Giving it access to the PCI-e bus also allows the possibility to interact directly with other devices such as the video card or sound card which could have some interesting possibilities.

pavlor 
Posted on 21-Apr-2015 14:21:27
#1757 ]
Elite Member

@TRIPOS

Quote:
The only trolls I have seen in this thread is the handful of people who constantly spam it with "you are a troll" comments.

Only thanks to all these dedicated personalities this thread is still alive!

Well done all involved! Keep up good work, our next goal is really close...

pavlor 
Posted on 21-Apr-2015 14:25:21
#1758 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:
On the contrary, that's quite an unfair comparison.

Comparing MorphOS/AmigaOS to Risc OS, MiNT or BeOS/Haiku?

I don´t share your interpretation of my opinion (as usual).

Hillbillylitre 
Posted on 21-Apr-2015 14:37:50
#1759 ]

@TRIPOS

Quote:

TRIPOS wrote:
@retro

Quote:

retro wrote:
@Kronos

stop talking like the price is 3000€, thease prices are unacceptable,dont give them any impresion that it will fly with thouse prices.. it out of porpotion...

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=37_86&products_id=1071

X1000 system with

Accessories: None
Case: Black
Extra ports: None
GFX Card: Radeon HD R7 250 X
HDD: 1TB
Optical Drive: DVDRW
OS Installed: 4.1 Update 6

€3050 EUR excluding shipment.

Gawd its such an insane price.

When I bought my BVision and the 68060 card with a PPC co-processor back in 1998 I paid about the same as a Pentium II machine costed at the time...

(edit: Pentium II not III. Its just to check with the Wayback Machine)

Last edited by Hillbillylitre on 21-Apr-2015 at 03:15 PM.
Last edited by Hillbillylitre on 21-Apr-2015 at 02:48 PM.

Using: One Commodore C64 - One Commodore Amiga 500 - One Commodore Amiga 1200 with BVision and Blizzard 68060 with PPC coprocessor running Amiga DOS - One Hellbillylitre Amigatwox86x64x6000x running Windows7

blizz1220 
Posted on 21-Apr-2015 14:39:40
#1760 ]

@Rob

Custom Design

Working with Varisys for your custom design requirements ensures
that you can make use of the vast experience in strategic component
choice, proven design building blocks, and key supplier relationships.
Our approved supply chain will eliminate the risk associated with
developing processes and procedures for new designs. Varisys are
able to marry this approach with lifecycle and component obsolescence
management.

Varisys are able to minimise the possibility of project overrun through
the experience of managing large numbers of custom design projects
every year. We are able to focus on designs, free from the everyday
interruptions that in-house engineers face, enabling us to meet our
customer’s milestones every time.

Case Study

Our client embarked upon an ambitious plan to design the ultimate
in state-of-the-art, high end, lighting controller. It was decided at an
early stage that a bespoke processor board was required. The design
challenges included component selection, including a suitable processor,
that would offer the ability to run without a fan (noise from a lighting desk
in theatrical applications is unacceptable) and also a South bridge that
would mop up I/O functions but would fit in with the predicted life
span of 10 plus years.

Our client sought a design partner with a skill set that embraced not
just processor board design but driver and BIOS experience under Linux.
Our hardware design team worked hand in glove with our client to ensure
the bespoke processor boards would fit inside the elegant enclosure that
had already been designed following considerable effort and market research.
The final single board layout and passive cooling solution needed to
consider constraints and interfaces in all three planes.

Varisys’ development team met with our client to review the requirements
and presented a plan to meet both the commercial and technical demands
of the project. The plan included milestones to review the schematic capture,
pcb layout and delivery of a working prototype.

The CPU requirement was satisfied using a BGA variant of the Freescale
MPC74xx family of integrated processors. DMX, MIDI, Ethernet, USB, IDE and
dual VGA outputs were then added using a mix of discrete and integrated circuitry.
Varisys worked ahead of schedule and from approval of the Requirements
Specification were able to deliver a working prototype board in three months.
The board in question has been manufactured by Varisys for a number
of years and forms the heart of a key product for our customer.

Outsourcing high speed digital design and manufacture to Varisys is
a cost effective option. It removes on going design overheads from
our clients business and provides an economic, low risk methodology
to leading edge processor, storage or I/O board design.

So yeah , a custom chip best used for controlling light effects on concerts
My little contribution to unlocking thread

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle