Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 130 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OneTimer1

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OneTimer1:  29 secs ago
 BigD:  42 mins ago
 OlafS25:  44 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 Frank:  2 hrs ago
 MickJT:  2 hrs 39 mins ago
 A1200:  3 hrs 2 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Hyperion Entertainment is not bankrupt
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 Next Page )
PosterThread
matthey 
Re: Hyperion Entertainment bankrupt?
Posted on 3-Mar-2015 15:49:23
#721 ]

@Trixie and mr2
The Hyperion bankruptsy is kind of like a Catholic wedding. Once declared married, you really are married by Catholic law but if the marriage is annulled by the Catholic church, then you are considered by the Catholic Church to never have been married. There are other kinds of marriage laws like geographical marriage laws and God's law which don't agree but if we are talking about Catholic law then the above is correct. Hyperion is considered bankrupt under Belgium law unless they can get it annulled.

Last edited by matthey on 03-Mar-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Last edited by matthey on 03-Mar-2015 at 03:53 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
TRIPOS 
Posted on 3-Mar-2015 18:38:58
#722 ]

@Trixie, mr2

Quote:
Quote:
So are they or aren't they bankrupt? It's been 35 pages and still we don't really know what's happening!

The official word is that Hyperion is not bankrupt and that they're filing against the bankruptcy claim. But as it appears, every Tom, Dick and Harry is free to disregard what goes straight from the horse's mouth, so this ridiculous thread can go on uninterrupted.
Quote:
No they are not. Especially in a legal sense.

1. This is straight from the horse's mouth: "Hyperion Entertainment Cvba in Sint-Agatha-Berchem (Brussel) was declared bankrupt by the court in Brussel on 27-01-2015. The appointed curator is Bert Dehandschutter."
The only official horse's mouth is here:
http://www.faillissementsdossier.be/en/bankruptcy/1039367/hyperion-entertainment-cvba.aspx

2. From this day, 27-01-2015, all directors lost their right to manage any Hyperion asset, as they are effectively forced from their positions, and it has been Bert Dehandschutter who has governed the company since then, no-one else has been allowed to make any kinds of decisions. (Which is why it's a bitt odd to see Hyperion publish a blog about their ongoing business and current developments! Isn't that making a false appearance of a company alive and not in a state of bankruptcy? Was this really ordered by Bert? Was this illegal if it wasn't?)

3. All payments, acts or transactions made by Hyperion after this day (27-01-2015) is void, and all payments made to the company is also void. It's frozen in time, assets secured and protected.

4. All creditors had 30 days from that date (27-01-2015) to declare to the registry of the commercial court what they are owed by Hyperion. That date has now passed.

5. All claims are then verified by Bert Dehandschutter (the "curator"/trustee), and a formal report of claims is established. This is what is happening right now!

6. If nothing extraordinary happens that disrupts the process, the next step will be to liquidate the estate, and to distribute the proceeds according to a statutory order of priority among all the creditors.

Even Ben Hermans told you in public that Hyperion has been declared bankrupt! What he also told, was that he objects to this and that he would file this objection to the court. Whether or not the court will cancel the bankruptcy or not remains to be seen and you could only speculate in its outcome. However, something you can not speculate about is whether Hyperion currently is in a state of bankryptcy in a legal sense, because they are! And the court appointed trustee Bert Dehandschutter has been administering the company ever since the date this happened (27-01-2015)!

The comments by Trixie and mr2 above was nothing but ridiculous and untrue!

Massi 
Posted on 3-Mar-2015 19:07:11
#723 ]
Cult Member

@All

Just a quick clarification regarding the post #647 about browser benchmarks (forgive me the off topic).

I only now see that it is only all about JavaScript engine performances, so it really doesn' t say much about system overall performances, but it is rather limited to a part (JavaScript) of the browser.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 3-Mar-2015 19:08:01
#724 ]
Elite Member

@TRIPOS

https://www.linkedin.com/in/bertdehandschutter

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 3-Mar-2015 19:47:49
#725 ]
Elite Member

@Massi

And comparing web browser that use JIT vs web browser that do not, it make it useless to compare if a CPU is slower or faster then another. All it really says is that its faster on that device and not so fast on the other, in many cases, not way.

You need to know what you often do not know, to know way

You need a bunch of different test, and you need to have more then one user test results.

In addition, the speed depends on what versions you have of drivers and libraries and what versions of programs, when it was tested, what stage in development was it (OS and Browser) , has speed improved or not over time.

In other words, benchmarks gets outdated.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 03-Mar-2015 at 08:04 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 03-Mar-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 03-Mar-2015 at 07:58 PM.

Massi 
Posted on 3-Mar-2015 20:21:08
#726 ]
Cult Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

100% agree ... that is why those numbers don' t say much ... but you know is more like a fashion thing ...

Hans 
Posted on 3-Mar-2015 21:32:32
#727 ]
Elite Member

@matthey

Quote:

matthey wrote:
@Trixie and mr2
... Once declared married, you really are married by Catholic law but if the marriage is annulled by the Catholic church, then you are considered by the Catholic Church to never have been married. There are other kinds of marriage laws like geographical marriage laws and God's law which don't agree but if we are talking about Catholic law then the above is correct.

Before anyone gets the wrong idea, an annulment isn't a divorce; it's a recognition that the marriage wasn't valid in the first place. For example, if someone is forced into marriage against their will then, by definition, that marriage was invalid even if the marriage register was signed (forced marriage being against God's law). So a marriage that was entered into freely and willingly by both parties cannot be annulled.**

Interestingly, Hyperion have said that they are in fact solvent and that the bankruptcy declaration was made incorrectly. They now need to prove that this is the case. So, your marriage metaphor does kind of work.

Hans

** Yes, there has almost certainly been cases where annulments have been incorrectly granted. However, don't confuse abuse of the law with the law's purpose.

cdimauro 
Posted on 3-Mar-2015 23:02:08
#728 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
1) Can you run Deluxe Paint or Speedball 2 natively on a Amiga Mini?

They run also on any PC.

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@paolone

I asked about Deluxe Paint & Speedball 2 because those are well known Amiga programs/games that are able to run on AmigaOne machines either through 68k JIT emulation via Petunia or in the case of Speedball 2 WHDLoad courtesy of RunInUAE.

You can use the emulation practically on any devices, and you can run these programs. I also did it on my PSP.

So there's no point on submitting your question: every device can run them.

@tommysammy

Quote:

tommysammy wrote:
@cdimauro

AmigaOneX1000 with Odyssey 1.23 3589ms.

OK, thanks. It'll be interesting to have results of the same browser on other computers, to make a comparison, like was made with the old benchmarks.

@Massi

Quote:

Massi wrote:
@All

Just a quick clarification regarding the post #647 about browser benchmarks (forgive me the off topic).

I only now see that it is only all about JavaScript engine performances, so it really doesn' t say much about system overall performances, but it is rather limited to a part (JavaScript) of the browser.

The Javascript test stresses a lot the single core/thread performance of a processor. It's a good test of the "general purpose" computing abilities of a system.

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:
@Massi

And comparing web browser that use JIT vs web browser that do not, it make it useless to compare if a CPU is slower or faster then another. All it really says is that its faster on that device and not so fast on the other, in many cases, not way.

You need to know what you often do not know, to know way

You need a bunch of different test, and you need to have more then one user test results.

In addition, the speed depends on what versions you have of drivers and libraries and what versions of programs, when it was tested, what stage in development was it (OS and Browser) , has speed improved or not over time.

In other words, benchmarks gets outdated.

And of course they should be updated.

BigD 
Posted on 4-Mar-2015 0:17:37
#729 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:
They run also on any PC.

So you run Amiga productivity programs via emulation on your PC with AGA screen modes supported, animation, HAM modes, colour cycling etc? Give me a break

This is from Cloanto's Amiga Forever documentation:

Quote:
the AGA chip set is more complex and less documented, and certain AGA-specific features are not completely emulated. In Amiga Forever this is in large part compensated by the inclusion of a fully licensed RTG (Amiga retargetable graphics) implementation, consisting of Brian King's "uaegfx" monitor driver and the Picasso96 software. RTG offers a wider choice of screen modes than AGA, which also feature a better performance than AGA (both emulated and non-emulated). Unfortunately, some Amiga programs were released with support for AGA, but were discontinued before RTG was introduced. These few programs, which include the Deluxe Paint software and AGA versions of certain games, can only be guaranteed to work in the original Amiga screen modes (i.e. not in AGA screen modes).

I refute your claim that a PeeCee can run these programs with no issues!!

Last edited by BigD on 04-Mar-2015 at 12:21 AM.

cdimauro 
Posted on 4-Mar-2015 6:17:56
#730 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@cdimauro

Quote:
They run also on any PC.

So you run Amiga productivity programs via emulation on your PC with AGA screen modes supported, animation, HAM modes, colour cycling etc? Give me a break

This is from Cloanto's Amiga Forever documentation:

Quote:
the AGA chip set is more complex and less documented, and certain AGA-specific features are not completely emulated. In Amiga Forever this is in large part compensated by the inclusion of a fully licensed RTG (Amiga retargetable graphics) implementation, consisting of Brian King's "uaegfx" monitor driver and the Picasso96 software. RTG offers a wider choice of screen modes than AGA, which also feature a better performance than AGA (both emulated and non-emulated). Unfortunately, some Amiga programs were released with support for AGA, but were discontinued before RTG was introduced. These few programs, which include the Deluxe Paint software and AGA versions of certain games, can only be guaranteed to work in the original Amiga screen modes (i.e. not in AGA screen modes).

I refute your claim that a PeeCee can run these programs with no issues!!

So you run Amiga productivity programs via emulation on your PC with PowerPC CPU with AGA screen modes supported, animation, HAM modes, colour cycling etc? Give me a break
[...]
I refute your claim that a PeeCee with PowerPC CPU can run these programs with no issues!!

J'Bar 
Posted on 4-Mar-2015 7:14:59
#731 ]

I run these AGA programs on my PC with UAE and have no issues ?

paolone 
Posted on 4-Mar-2015 9:01:43
#732 ]

@Robert

Quote:

Why do you want to lock a thread that other people are enjoying?
Bit Nazi like, isn't it?
We all know that's what Hitler would have done too.

Hi. Don't mention Hitler's name here, or you'll be reported (like just happened to me) for indecency.

There are people, here, with very bad issues about text comprehension and freedom of speech.

kind regards

Edit: fixed verb as suggested, in order to be more compliant to someone else's sensibility about english language.

Last edited by paolone on 05-Mar-2015 at 03:04 PM.

Naz 
Posted on 4-Mar-2015 9:06:40
#733 ]

@paolone

exactly, it would be much better to nominate Mussolini.

resle 
Posted on 4-Mar-2015 9:20:06
#734 ]
Cult Member

@Paolone @Naz

I assume you mean "mention", not "nominate". You may want to check the difference.

You know, just to avoid further confusion - given you said there's people here with "very bad issues about text comprehension".

Massi 
Posted on 4-Mar-2015 9:31:44
#735 ]
Cult Member

@cdimauro

Quote:
The Javascript test stresses a lot the single core/thread performance of a processor. It's a good test of the "general purpose" computing abilities of a system.

Since web browsers are really heavy beasts, big name firms have put lots of engineers on the task, I am pretty sure dedicated hardware and software solutions have been developed for speed (smartphones, tablets).
I guess heavy computations are done via dedicated hardware, the same way the graphics are handled by the GPU.

Does it make sense benchmarking different web browsers running on different operating systems based on different hardware? Has the result any accurate valency?

From my side, OS4, the available browsers are often "1 man" work, meaning that there is certainly much room for improvements. This also shows the great ability of OS4 developers.
Thus I believe on web browsers OS4 systems could perform much better than they actually do.

Last edited by Massi on 04-Mar-2015 at 01:01 PM.
Last edited by Massi on 04-Mar-2015 at 09:35 AM.

ExiE 
Posted on 4-Mar-2015 10:05:31
#736 ]

@Massi

Quote:
From my side, OS4, the available browsers are often "1 man" work, meaning that there is certainly much room for improvements. This also shows the great ability of OS4 developers.
Thus I believe on web browsers OS4 systems could perform much better than they actually do..

People should check facts first. Only good browser for OS4 is port of OWB developed by Fab for MorphOS. (thanks for port guys)

ExiE 
Posted on 4-Mar-2015 10:06:39
#737 ]

@J'Bar
Quote:
I run these AGA programs on my PC with UAE and have no issues ?

Same here. Probably some local anomaly.

Massi 
Posted on 4-Mar-2015 10:11:18
#738 ]
Cult Member

@ExiE

Yes I use OWB.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 4-Mar-2015 11:31:23
#739 ]

@ExiE

Quote:

ExiE wrote:
@Massi

Quote:
Thus I believe on web browsers OS4 systems could perform much better than they actually do..

People should check facts first. Only good browser for OS4 is port of OWB developed by Fab for MorphOS. (thanks for port guys)

It should also be noted, not to detract from Fab's work, that the core is webkit, and cairo is used for rendering.

There are no "1 man work" browsers (as in built from scratch) afaik on any platform, at least none which are reasonably uptodate.

Massi 
Posted on 4-Mar-2015 11:52:58
#740 ]
Cult Member

@Boot_WB

"1 man work" was used in the sense that OS4 doesn' t have lots of developers assigned to a web browser as opposed to big firms ... I hope it is clear now.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle