Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
22 crawler(s) on-line.
 100 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

Comi,  Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Comi:  1 min ago
 Gunnar:  4 mins ago
 amigakit:  21 mins ago
 vox:  46 mins ago
 zipper:  50 mins ago
 kolla:  57 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 26 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Hyperion : why no OS4FE updates since 1 year ?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
PosterThread
zzd10h 
Re: Hyperion : why no OS4FE updates since 1 year ?
Posted on 23-Jan-2016 10:51:32
#41 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@tlosm

Please, too... this thread is about FE updates.
Too many threads derails because of the same guys.
Thank you.

Profile     Report this post  
PR 
Posted on 23-Jan-2016 10:55:54
#42 ]

Comparing to pc again if You buy it from a supermarket it's bundeld with a Win and can't be bought cheaper without it. There was IE at least.

Buying a few AOS:ses. There was the demo I-Browser included to download a new standard one.

Could not get Chrome,Firefox or Opera for free. Now having ads in this cp..

In the imagination world we could have a virus free OS with the dealed browser and the printer driver even if it was the one manufacter I wouldn't care.

The leader of AOS has probably contacted all the big manufacturers?

OlafS25 
Posted on 23-Jan-2016 11:27:57
#43 ]
Elite Member

@tlosm

do you really believe that? Compare the sale numbers and the numbers of real devices sold...

Customers are Customers are the ones feeding you as a company... ignoring or annoying them never was a good idea

Sorry for being OT but nonsense has to be answered

Last edited by OlafS25 on 23-Jan-2016 at 11:29 AM.

noXLar 
Posted on 23-Jan-2016 12:17:59
#44 ]
Cult Member

@OlafS25

yea, since hyperion officialy don't support emulation and the tread wasn't about emulation..

Prober 
Posted on 23-Jan-2016 12:19:01
#45 ]

Folks, think more realistically. We all waiting for the release of AmigaOS 4.2 (X1000 owners even for 4 years). And that is not possible if Hyperion will continue to release updates for 4.1. Bug fixes, adding new features - it's continuous development. Or someone thinks that AmigaOS 4.2 will be a completely new system developed separately and independently from the AmigaOS 4.1?

So more patience and waiting

Cyborg 
Posted on 23-Jan-2016 13:02:37
#46 ]

@all

As I was personally asked to say something here:

The roadmap is, and always was since the release of Final Edition, that there will be a free update for all platforms some time after the release of X5000 in order to get all platforms back on a common level.

This is necessary, because the X5000 needs some updated components in any case, will of course ship with some important general bug fixes and might even need some bug fixes after its general release.

The same holds true for the A1222 release. Albeit, but do not take this as given/promise/announcement, it may be that A1222 follows X5000 closely enough to postpone the general update until after the A1222 release.

Publishing lots of updates to individual component via AmiUpdate has proven to complicate matters more than it aids. For that reason, it was decided to go back to a more traditional update strategy of releasing bigger updates (consisting of several individual components), which also raise the revision of version library, in irregular intervals (i.e., when it makes sense) and use the ability for single component updates only in emergency cases.

Hope that makes sense to everybody.

P.S: I'm not (anymore) reading aw.net regularly, so better don't bet on me answering any questions in short time.

"In the beginning was CAOS.."
-- Andy Finkel, 1988 (ViewPort article, Oct. 1993)

pavlor 
Posted on 23-Jan-2016 13:05:04
#47 ]
Elite Member

@Cyborg

Quote:
it may be that A1222 follows X5000 closely enough to postpone the general update until after the A1222 release.

A1222 this year? That would be nice!

cdimauro 
Posted on 23-Jan-2016 13:21:51
#48 ]
Elite Member

@tlosm

Quote:

tlosm wrote:
@cdimauro
please dont wast our time with your no. sense posts... thankyou

If you don't understand them, it's your problem.

@Trixie

Quote:

Trixie wrote:
@cdimauro

Quote:
What's wrong with all that?

This thread is about Hyperion and the lack of updates for OS4.1 Final Edition. The fact that uaegfx now works in WinUAE is great news but it's really off topic here. If you want to discuss emulation features, limitations or improvements, you're very welcome to start a new thread.

I quote myself, from my comment (#15) in this thread:

"What Hyperion can do to complete the work, is make a big gift to its OS4 "classic" users: introduce the already existing patch to let Z3 RAM be added to the system memory, removing the 128MB memory."

That's compatible with the topic.

@pavlor

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
@cdimauro

As discussion about WinUAE features is clearly OT in this thread, you may start another (or continue via PM), if you are interested in current WinUAE/OS4 experience.

See above: restricting the argument to the fastmem issue, it's fully in topic.

@noXLar

Quote:

noXLar wrote:
@OlafS25

yea, since hyperion officialy don't support emulation and the tread wasn't about emulation..

Let me understand: they decided to sell OS4FE "classic", and ONLY this version, through Cloanto (which is a well known Amiga "HARDWARE" manufacturer) using a digital download platform (which is the recommended way for installing this o.s. using a physical optical drive, right?), because they wanted to greatly support the thousands, and thousands, and thousands of CyberPPC and BlizzardPPC users.

And I've to believe that they don't support emulation, right?

It's easier to believe again in Santa Claus.

noXLar 
Posted on 23-Jan-2016 13:58:04
#49 ]
Cult Member

@cdimauro

isn't it cloantos decision then? they give support to their emulation package and os4.1 classic via their software.. it is still not hyperion's official support area, that is cloantos

Last edited by noXLar on 23-Jan-2016 at 01:59 PM.

kyle 
Posted on 23-Jan-2016 14:30:28
#50 ]
Cult Member

@Cyborg

So the question is: how approximatively far is the release of X5000?

mbrantley 
Posted on 23-Jan-2016 14:48:26
#51 ]
Cult Member

@Cyborg

As a paying customer, I definitely like the Update 6 model much better, with AmiUpdate steadily humming with fixes. There were real benefits, and there was also the general feeling among users (not the nonusers who talk so much on forums) that progress was real. Now we have a situation with something like font.library being busted for more than a year, plus the general feeling that things are "stuck."

I understand that (a) some big things are "stuck" and (b) major focus is on getting the OS ready for X5000 so A-Eon can move some inventory. But, a few bug releases here and there on AmiUpdate are (a) not gonna cause you THAT much trouble, (b) will conrtibute to a general feeling that things are happening and (c) would solve some real issues, i.e., font.library.

I'd say it was just my two cents, but I have spent thousands. ;)

TRIPOS 
Posted on 23-Jan-2016 14:54:29
#52 ]

@Fairdinkem

Quote:

Fairdinkem wrote:

a crippled browser (Odyssey)

It must be the OS4 implementation/port you are talking about here, because the Original Odyssey on MorphOS was always rock solid and a fine piece of S/W, stable and feature rich, in the best possible Amiga/MUI kind of way!

Quote:
I refuse to pay for AmigaOS 4.1 FE until I have confidence they can deliver well supported eco system and operating system.

I hear you!

mbrantley 
Posted on 23-Jan-2016 15:07:05
#53 ]
Cult Member

Odyssey port to AmigaOS has been getting some love lately, thanks to some cooperation happening over at Amigans.net and the good work by Deadwood in updating/fixing problems at the AROS end. Seven versions with "fixes" have been linked there, and now memory leaks are quashed and more sites that were problematic before now work perfectly.

FE offered real improvements over Update 6, so getting FE and also the newer RadeonHD drivers and Warp3D driver are well worth it. (Yeah, you have to add all those costs together to be "real.") I wouldn't hold back upgrading because Timberwolf stinks.

Because ... I don't feel that Odyssey is crippled. It's the best browser we have, and it is a multiplatform initiative with cooperation from all camps. That it was born on MorphOS is something MorphOS users should rightly be proud of. Am glad to see it getting worked on again, and appreciation to Deadwood for bringing it forward on AROS and to kas1e for porting some of those improvements to AOS and to all who have helped.

marko 
Posted on 23-Jan-2016 15:12:00
#54 ]
From: Gothenburg, THE front side of Sweden ;), (via Finland), EU

@zzd10h

+1

m4rko.com/AMIGA

TRIPOS 
Posted on 23-Jan-2016 15:13:08
#55 ]

@Fairdinkem

Quote:

Fairdinkem wrote:

The mere fact a Frieden saw fit to port it suggests to me that it was in Hyperions interests in the first place aside from the monetary incentive.

...and then when it boiled down to the essence, money incentive was all there was! They even changed the bounty terms after it launched to reduce responsibilities and demands, and as soon as some quick and dirty port was released (barely functioning, crashy, slow as hell, and with zero resemblance of any kind of Amiga S/W) the money was paid out in full, and development stopped. Had they at least honored the Open Source spirit by releasing the sources to the community, but not even that...

marko 
Posted on 23-Jan-2016 15:15:41
#56 ]
From: Gothenburg, THE front side of Sweden ;), (via Finland), EU

Quote:
mbrantley wrote:

I understand that (a) some big things are "stuck" and (b) major focus is on getting the OS ready for X5000 so A-Eon can move some inventory. But, a few bug releases here and there on AmiUpdate are (a) not gonna cause you THAT much trouble, (b) will conrtibute to a general feeling that things are happening and (c) would solve some real issues

+1

m4rko.com/AMIGA

TRIPOS 
Posted on 23-Jan-2016 15:31:18
#57 ]

@Prober

Quote:

Prober wrote:
Folks, think more realistically. We all waiting for the release of AmigaOS 4.2 (X1000 owners even for 4 years).

Speaking of realism, some of the features promised for 4.2 are simply not possible without breaking "Amiga", so I suppose you are in for a long haul...

Quote:
And that is not possible if Hyperion will continue to release updates for 4.1. Bug fixes, adding new features - it's continuous development. Or someone thinks that AmigaOS 4.2 will be a completely new system developed separately and independently from the AmigaOS 4.1?

Well, if 4.2 will ever arrive, it will be something different, that's obvious. Just as "MorphOS NG" will be. That a 4.1 branch will continue to exist in paralell is highly doubtful. And there is something rather terminal about the "Final Edition" name, right?

Quote:
So more patience and waiting

The choice is yours!

TRIPOS 
Posted on 23-Jan-2016 15:36:21
#58 ]

@pavlor

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
@Cyborg

Quote:
it may be that A1222 follows X5000 closely enough to postpone the general update until after the A1222 release.

A1222 this year? That would be nice!

X5000 this year is more realistic (maybe even this spring?), and then hope for the Tabor before 2018. Who knows, it might happen? Even though history track records say different, and the Tabor will be more challenging than anything before...

pavlor 
Posted on 23-Jan-2016 15:38:49
#59 ]
Elite Member

@TRIPOS

Quote:
Speaking of realism, some of the features promised for 4.2 are simply not possible without breaking "Amiga", so I suppose you are in for a long haul...

Quote:
Well, if 4.2 will ever arrive, it will be something different, that's obvious. Just as "MorphOS NG" will be. That a 4.1 branch will continue to exist in paralell is highly doubtful. And there is something rather terminal about the "Final Edition" name, right?

Impossible? Then, OS4.2 with multi-core support and same compatibility as 4.1 will be miracle and we will praise its developers as living saints!

zzd10h 
Posted on 23-Jan-2016 18:24:16
#60 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Cyborg

"it was decided to go back to a more traditional update strategy of releasing bigger updates (consisting of several individual components)"

Sad that you don't keep the Amiupdate way to deliver fixes to your customer but, nevertheless, thanks to took time to clarified and replied to my question.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle