Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 85 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  31 mins ago
 zipper:  36 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 Birbo:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 7 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 41 mins ago
 Beajar:  2 hrs 47 mins ago
 VooDoo:  3 hrs 39 mins ago
 Hammer:  3 hrs 55 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  4 hrs 14 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Why does speed differ when downloading Amiga content?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Hypex 
Re: Why does speed differ when downloading Amiga content?
Posted on 25-Jun-2016 17:16:19
#21 ]
Elite Member

@Xenic

Yes I found this in my C: dir. At first I went looking on OS4Depot.

Now what's with that damned Topaz 8 font?

I forgot to mention. For cable you pay more more for more data. And even more for a speed boost up to 100 Mb. Tends to start at 30 Mb.

Profile     Report this post  
Hypex 
Posted on 25-Jun-2016 17:41:16
#22 ]
Elite Member

@Severin

I see what you are saying about congestion. I think the worse thing to happen to the internet is video or TVIP. TV over IP, is that a thing? Well over here they are selling "cable" TV that uses your internet instead. Worst idea ever. There already was a cable for TV, keep using it! This is like comparing being able to talk to ten people in a room at once to a talker streaming his voice over the internet to each person needing a computer. If you see what I mean.

Perhaps I wasn't so clear but I was only downloading off the Amiga site by itself. Other downloads and torrents were just an example.

What this doesn't explain is how the club/library internet was able to max out the download speed? This would put the congestion to my link to the internet at home. Where somehow 40 minutes drive away a connection to the internet can give me full speed to an Amiga site.

Tonight my internet was back at full speed. My modem reported 13 Mbps and the OOKLA speed test on my mobile reported just over 1 MB/s. Bit slower now in the middle of the night, down to 650 KB/s. Upload always seems to easily reach 150 KB/s any time.

I sampled a Blender download form the Depot and nope, didn't get much better, average 150 KB/s. SampleNetSpeed gave me a max of 196 KB/s. Compared to what I got on Sunday at my club and what others get. Pathetic.

I turn my router off when not in use. As I turn my computers off. But I have checked my router when speed is slow. Never find any other machine attached. I suspect it a lot as I do see flashes when my machines are off. Sometimes after torrenting so thought it may be clients trying to reach my machine. My wifi signal barely reaches outside the house and I trust my imnmediate neighbours.

On my first ADSL plan my uploads were free so I would be generous and seed all night. After taking all night to download. But my upload was only 8 KB/s so naybe not so generous haha.

Last edited by Hypex on 25-Jun-2016 at 05:45 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 25-Jun-2016 17:52:26
#23 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

No neighbours havbe shown up. Doesn't mean no one is connected.

I use WPA2_PSK. Should I enterprise it?

I used to hide SSID but because Mac OSX is so buggy you never know if it will connect or not and it easily forgets passwords so I put it back. Plus I read it doesn't do that much.

I would limit by MAC address but it's a pain when you have a new machine to put on and what says some hacker hasn't cloned an existing MAC to masquerade as my machine?

And finally I can't upgrade to fibre as it's not available in my area with no indication of when so looks like that is years away. I can get cable though, that's my best bet.

kolla 
Posted on 25-Jun-2016 23:48:22
#24 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

Hypex wrote:

I use WPA2_PSK. Should I enterprise it?

"Enterprise" means 802.1x, meaning login credentials. Firstly, I am quite confident that your access point is not connected to an enterprise or federated network (such as eduroam for example), and secondly, I am quite confident that the supplicants that exists for AmigaOS do not support .1x authentication. It would surprise me a lot, if they did.

Hypex 
Posted on 26-Jun-2016 16:23:57
#25 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

Well looks like I can't enable that then. Also last night my router decided to play up and wouldn't connect any device over wifi. It just timed out. I rebooted it and it was still the same. Even though I had just turned it on. I saved all my wifi settings and then it came back. Well after, I got a password error, whatever that was about, as it worked moments later.

Xenic 
Posted on 26-Jun-2016 19:09:35
#26 ]

@Hypex
Quote:
Yes I found this in my C: dir. At first I went looking on OS4Depot.

Now what's with that damned Topaz 8 font?

Sorry. Big mistake on my part. I start my Internet apps from a tool window (scriptlauncher) on my Internet screen and have my network monitor names reversed. The program I am actually using is NetMon from OS4Depot started with the command: "NetMon NOWINBORDER INTERVAL=2". Apparently I've been using NetMon for quite some time but thinking I was using SampleNetSpeed. Duh!!

It looks like SampleNetSpeed could use a GUI update.

Hypex 
Posted on 27-Jun-2016 15:57:52
#27 ]
Elite Member

@Xenic

That is a funny one. Well apparently I thought the Don Henley song Summer with the Boys was by Bryam Adams and I found out it wasn't just before yesterday. Shocking.

But yes, SampleNetSpeed could use a GUI update. Updating to Gadtools would an improvement. I suppose it was wirrten to sample net speed, not look good.

Deniil715 
Posted on 28-Jun-2016 11:03:42
#28 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

One thought... You get good speed with other machines except the Amiga on ethernet cable?
Question: Do you have a any sharp bend or pinch on your cable? Is it long?

Especially if the cable runs on 100Mb or even worse on 1Gb, it is quite sensitive to sharp bends and pinches. Squeezed under a door or bent sharply when coming in/out of a hole in a wall can kill the speed pretty dramatically.

Also a too long, old CAT3 cable that runs on 100Mb or Gb, that also have sharp bends can give problems.

Belxjander 
Posted on 28-Jun-2016 12:57:40
#29 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

Past-tense... I'm now using sam440 onboard Ethernet...

On the A4000 using an Algor+Ethernet setup I was getting 10Mbit/sec over a LAN to a Linux machine,
Through Cable back in NZ I would see up to 500KB/sec throughout,
But I EtherBridged an ISA 3com 100Mbit card for that (found one through PC parts recycling) using an A2286
To control a PAS16 Audio card to MUX audio feeds with it's DSP while the 286 was dedicated to Ethernet.

I did fry a few ISA cards before finding one that worked (and kept a bunch of spares just in case).

My current home LAN arrangement is all 100TX hardware with the cabling as part of the house wiring in the walls.

Need to find a decent NAS box for a personal cloud arrangement.

Only one downside to Japanese ISP's, IPv6 connectivity is easier than IPv4 for newer contracts IF I'm reading things properly (not totally sure what that part is saying).

One other thought, after Deniil's question about cable bends...
Are any of your network cables within a hand-span proximity to power cables?

I'be had to actively kill a network by simply laying power and network cabling together to teach someone to not screw with network settings before (asshole in question had no comprehension and just saw "cables bundled together").

Too many horror stories from the system builders helldesk.

Last edited by Belxjander on 28-Jun-2016 at 09:07 PM.
Last edited by Belxjander on 28-Jun-2016 at 01:07 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 1-Jul-2016 18:35:42
#30 ]
Elite Member

@Deniil715

Quote:
One thought... You get good speed with other machines except the Amiga on ethernet cable?

Well actually no as the throughput would be the same. I just can't get good speed from AmiUpdate or OS4Depot. I never have.

Quote:
Question: Do you have a any sharp bend or pinch on your cable? Is it long?

Not that I can see. The cable is about two meters wide. But I think the cable is fine.

I just tested downloaded Ubuntu using CTorrent. Wasted 15 minutes with old torrent software freezing my machine then found newer CTorrent. It doesn't freeze anynore but it still comes across as shocking. Messy files. Confusing icons. And it doesn't let you set any prefs. You have to add a torrent and it quits on error. I don't use OS4 for torrenting, thank goodness, but the software we have is in a shocking mess. This wasn't meant to be a review.

So I downloaded to RAM and I got up to 1.3MB/s. Yes, about 1300KB/s on average. Open up IBrowse, OS4Depot. 170KB/s. Huh?

Just tried Odyssey. Ubuntu download 750KB/s average. OS4Depot 170KB/s. Maybe I need to adjust locale settings somewhere? In case I am getting a slow server. Well it's slow here!

I think my cable is Cat 6. I got the latest or used what came with my router last time I set up my A1 network some years back. Which has always been fine, just wondered about the slow Amiga files download speed.

Just to add. I tested my PowerBook connected over wifi. Started off slow but then reached 700KB/s! What the? My AmigaOne is doing something wrong.

I tested from my clean FE volume. Speed still slower. Checked out interface file. MTU set to 0 which I assume makes it default. Changed that to 1492, to match router MTU, and there was no change in speed.

I had to drop the MTU in my router manually because it failed to determine it from the connection itself . This happened when I "upgraded" to ADSL2 and immediately was met with drop outs and half transfers until I accidently found out it was MTU.

Perhaps I should put my AmigaOne on a wifi adaptor and test that way. Might do that. both my Mac and X1000 have had better results over wifi. Why ever that is.

Last edited by Hypex on 02-Jul-2016 at 02:12 AM.
Last edited by Hypex on 01-Jul-2016 at 06:38 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 2-Aug-2016 8:06:12
#31 ]
Elite Member

@Belxjander

Quote:
On the A4000 using an Algor+Ethernet setup I was getting 10Mbit/sec over a LAN to a Linux machine

Sounds pretty good considering the age of an A4000.

Quote:
Are any of your network cables within a hand-span proximity to power cables?

Yes I think they would be. The Ethernet cable runs from the computer back to my router on far left of desk about a meter away. Along side are the power cables which run to the ground and around the corner to the power board. And my phone line also runs down the side to the wall socket below. I try and keep them neat but there is some cross over in the cables at times.

I also have an update. Something is going whack. I tested downloading a large file from OS4Depot from a PC laptop running mint over WiFi. It pretty much maxed out my connection!

I test from my A1XE again. No more than 200KB/s!

I also used my A1XE to transfer files over the network from my phone using AirDroid. I got 2.4MB/s sustained over the local! So my A1XE can download faster than my internet speed from the router but only slower than my internet speed off the actual internet! This makes no sense! What the hell is going on?

Hypex 
Posted on 21-Oct-2020 13:14:52
#32 ]
Elite Member

Hello. I'm back.

Well I've got some new equipment. I got a new router, with a new cable, connected to my X1000. But the speeds are still the same. I still have the same slow old speeds. I suspect the X1000 Ethernet driver is set up to operate slowly by default because every thing I tried on that was slow with my RT8139 PCI network card. My AmigaOne XE built in Ethernet connected to a wireless adapter is still faster!

The following pictures are from my XE. Mind you, I have connected a LB-Link BL-MP01 wireless adapter to my Ethernet port. It's in a bad spot as the connection commonly drops out or looses the network despite being within 15 meters away. Sorry didn't release the images were so wide.

So this is downloading Odyssey using Odyssey from not Odyssey but OS4Depot.net. This is the fastest I can get.

Next I'm downloading the latest beta Odyssey. Look at that speed go!

Strangely, when downloading Odyssey by itself this was the fastest I got, as it's faster when downloading multiple items!

This is fast.com on my XE. As you can tell it looks to be reporting about half the speed I can get. It's simple looking though the web code could slow it down. But it's the only one that works. My go to is speedtest.net but it's too slow even on my X1000 and it breaks on upload so no good.

I'll repeat the test on my X1000. But, osdepot.net is never going to get faster at this rate. And last time I tested I was getting the same slow speeds downloading a Linux ISO so something is wrong with that.

Last edited by Hypex on 21-Oct-2020 at 04:57 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 21-Oct-2020 13:49:36
#33 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

My score is 62 Mbps on My AmigaONE computer
I get 82Mbps on my PC.

Hypex 
Posted on 21-Oct-2020 16:54:12
#34 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Cool. What network hardware? Preliminary test on my X1000 gives a speed of 9.5Mbps.

Last edited by Hypex on 21-Oct-2020 at 04:58 PM.

duga 
Posted on 21-Oct-2020 17:01:51
#35 ]

@Hypex

Try enlarging your TCP Window Settings.

kolla 
Posted on 22-Oct-2020 18:02:44
#36 ]
Elite Member

Path MTU discovery, or rather lack thereof, is often the blame for non-working or slow Amiga network connections to remote locations.

Have you any ICMP blocking turned on, for example to prevent ping from working?

Last edited by kolla on 22-Oct-2020 at 06:37 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 23-Oct-2020 18:00:44
#37 ]
Elite Member

@duga

How would I do that? The only reference to a TCP Window I can find in Roadshow is tcp.do_rfc1323 and tcp.do_win_scale settings. The first was 1 and the other 0. I set both to 1 and it made no change.

Hypex 
Posted on 23-Oct-2020 18:08:35
#38 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

Nothing I've actively turned on. My Internet settings all look generic. I can ping my router that comes back 0.5 ms average. It certainly doesn't display it at half a microsecond. Takes a second to update so that "ms" is a bit misleading.

kolla 
Posted on 23-Oct-2020 22:24:47
#39 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

those 0.5 ms is round trip times... anyways path MTU discovery is not about you and your router, it is about you, the system you connect to “out there” and everything in between. If one connection “out there” for some reason uses lower MTU than what you have configured, and your TCP stack doesn’t support this protocol called “path MTU discovery”, or ICMP is blocked (which path MTU discovery relies on), then you will experience low performance or even broken connection.

Roadshow supports this, unsure about Miami, and the rest surely not.

Last edited by kolla on 23-Oct-2020 at 10:26 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 24-Oct-2020 2:47:11
#40 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

Thanks for explaining. I've known the pings were an average but it tends to stick it on the end so during the "sampling" period it just looks like a ping per line.

I think I have encountered this MTU problem in the past. When I switched to ADSL2 I started getting all sorts of drop outs. My ISP couldn't clue me in and I wasn't using their designated router. I was using a NetGear DG834G. I discovered the router wasn't picking up the needed MTU. It was uisng 1500 and it needed to be 1492. I take it this was an old bug never fixed as the roiuters job is to negotiate that technical TCP info upstream. I changed it in the router and then the connection became stable.

I've since upgraded to a D6200. If you could call it that, since it has no flashing lights, and the embedded router interface is slower as. In any case, it picked up the right MTU, so that is no problem there.

I place the blame on the X1000 software or the 8139 driver. As stated, my XE has no trouble getting full speed and it isn't connected directly. But, I might just set the MTU in my X1000 interface, in case something funky is going on.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle