Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
30 crawler(s) on-line.
 153 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

NutsAboutAmiga,  OlafS25

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  2 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  4 mins ago
 Gunnar:  5 mins ago
 Kremlar:  19 mins ago
 Rob:  22 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  45 mins ago
 clint:  51 mins ago
 vox:  58 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 49 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  10 Year master Plan?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
QuikSanz 
Re: 10 Year master Plan?
Posted on 7-Aug-2016 1:26:57
#21 ]

@DiscreetFX1

The toxic nature of manufacturing those car batteries are costly, however the new Power Wall from Tesla looks like a good solution for solar home and business. Replacing 16 to 32 lead acid batteries is not a good option.

Profile     Report this post  
agami 
Posted on 7-Aug-2016 9:56:10
#22 ]

@thread

I have my own Amiga 10-year master plan. And maybe in a few years I'll get to start it.

tlosm 
Posted on 7-Aug-2016 12:08:00
#23 ]
Elite Member

the plan is ... enjoy what do you have and hope for a better future for our hobby and for our healt and relatives.... energy we have all e energy we need it is there and we are full of it hydrogen is the future ... now hydrogen engine can be applied to the amateur uav and rc too ...

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

Daedalus 
Posted on 8-Aug-2016 8:00:08
#24 ]

@DiscreetFX
20 minutes from empty to full, or from 20% to 80%? While 20 minutes isn't *too* bad, it is still inconvenient compared to petrol or diesel cars, and if you have to go to a car dealership to do it it's even more inconvenient. It has to be able to rival the convenience for me before it'll be a viable option. It'll happen eventually I'm sure, but for now it's pretty unsuitable for me.

@Pentrite
Yes, many countries have higher rates of non-fossil-fuelled energy, and it's this energy that means electric cars are more efficient. The processes involved in producing the batteries is a worry but that's improving too over time.

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 8-Aug-2016 11:55:20
#25 ]
Elite Member

@Daedalus

I guess if your electric car was almost completely empty it would be 80% in 20 minutes. Since there are so many places to charge around here I'm never totally empty. I start with a full charge every morning since I have a 240 volt charger at home. It's great to never have to go to the gas station especially in the cold weather.

agami 
Posted on 9-Aug-2016 2:46:41
#26 ]

@tlosm

Quote:
the plan is ... enjoy what do you have and hope for a better future...

That's not a plan! That's what you do when a plan fails. Damn it @tlosm, you ain't even tryin'.

10 points to the person who knows what I just paraphrased

marko 
Posted on 9-Aug-2016 3:30:40
#27 ]
From: Gothenburg, THE front side of Sweden ;), (via Finland), EU

By plan is to buy the AmigaOne X5000/040 when it gets released.

m4rko.com/AMIGA

amigang 
Posted on 2-Feb-2021 21:41:03
#28 ]
Elite Member

Just rereading this thread made me laugh, look at tesla now 5 years on, the highest valued car company in the world, wish I invested in them all them years ago now.

Plus I do wish Amiga companies the ones that left stop and think where they see the Amiga community in 10 years time. As much as I like OS4 and please to see updates and new hardware on the way, I just don’t see much of a future of the platform being on PPC, that’s no fault of anyone, it’s just the unfortunate dice that’s been rolled, I just feel it be a bit of a shame for all the great work done on OS4 for it be stuck on PPC cpu.

bison 
Posted on 3-Feb-2021 5:40:58
#29 ]
Elite Member

@amigang

The funniest part, from your original post:

Quote:
Build A1222, low cost AmigaOS4 to try and expand the OS4 market.

agami 
Posted on 3-Feb-2021 6:13:07
#30 ]

@amigang

The A-Eon plan was overly idealistic and flawed from the beginning. I’ve gone on record many times over the past decade to explain why. If you subscribe to the notion that “it is not a problem unless you have a solution”, I’ve always offered alternatives and not just complaints.

What Trevor has done is not without merit and he should always be commended for his efforts, misguided as they were. Turns out, if you build it they will not come. This is not unique to the Amiga community: In most cases this is the reality.

The missing piece of the puzzle was not the lack of powerful hardware. It was the lack of a consumer/producer ecology (market). There where gears set in motion in the late ‘90s to bring back this dynamic with aspirational multi-year plans to modernize the OS and development environment. In my opinion, the momentum of these plans should have ceased by 2005 and completely new plans drafted. But then a prolonged lawsuit and a tenuous settlement solidified decade old plans as the foundation for the next decade.

The Amiga ecology became fractured, and there were no initiatives to bridge the divides. A shrinking ecosystem was subdivided into even smaller producer/consumer ecologies. Expensive short-run hardware tied to one faction was not the answer.

What was/is needed is a new niche for consumption of software that is currently not served, or underserved. Then an operating environment for that niche which employs modern programing languages and frameworks. Then kick-starting it (pun intended) with some “in-house software for this operating environment that solves unique problems in this niche, a.k.a A killer app. Then some incentive programs for developers to port their applications over to the niche. When the new producer/consumer ecology becomes large enough, it could attract developers to write dedicated software.

Then, and only then, do you create a unique hardware platform to complement the new ecology.

Last edited by agami on 03-Feb-2021 at 06:26 AM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 3-Feb-2021 8:05:31
#31 ]
Elite Member

@agami

This is the community

Gamers / Retro Gamers: people only interesting old games, and might be interested in buying something new if its better then a PS or XBOX.

Demo coders / retro game creators: people who is into programing chipsets and doing it on low level hardware, they have invested huge amount time in their own engine built on the Amiga hardware, this people are not interested in new SDK’s, they don’t need new tools as not building anything new.

hardware repair: this people are interested in current market, this people do not look beyond the current market, not trying to grow anything.

Classic hardware creators: people try slightly improve classic Amiga by addons, but you can’t grow a community on old hardware.

FPGA hardware creators: possible innovation with restrictions of FPGA’s performance, the problem is that often cut down hardware, too slow to run the newest stuff.

Next generation hardware: the people who invest into this, do so because technical improvement in the OS and programs.

leeches the people who only wont some thing for free, willing to run on there PC, if there is emulator, and if they can pirate copy something or if it’s free.

its where hard to build 10 years plans when not everyone is on the same page.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 03-Feb-2021 at 08:25 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 03-Feb-2021 at 08:21 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 03-Feb-2021 at 08:20 AM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 3-Feb-2021 10:00:26
#32 ]
Elite Member

@agami

I would not too much critisize Trevor. He is not a investor in classic sense with a business plan behind but a amiga fan (OS4) with money behind. Amiga would need a real investor behind with a plan where to go, on the other hand no investor would invest in OS4 (or other platforms) if you have plenty of more realistic options at the market (like Linux). Tabor will not change much at the situation, I do not expect more than a couple of hundred sales at best. Most sense it would make if hardware and OS would be in one hand but that is not realistic because propably Hyperion asks for too much money (otherwise Trevor would have bought OS4 already but that is speculation). I do not see any change in future.

First step would be to answer what shall be the new market(s) for NG. That could be (as a idea) Desktop video and on the other hand home gaming. If you define that you must look where are competitors and how could your products offer advantages. From that you would have to define what you need to invest (for new hardware, new OS and needed software). Then you could estimate what you need to market it and how big the sales would be. In short: a business plan. The problem is that OS development is not under your control and starting from scratch is a huge effort. And you needed to answer why using amigaos and not something else like linux. But all that is much more than a hobby.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 03-Feb-2021 at 10:06 AM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 3-Feb-2021 10:10:02
#33 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

it depends how you define your market. Retro can be a relativ big and healthy market too. Of course you cannot get into "mainstream" by that. But to have something interesting outside amiga fans (or people who used amiga in the 90s with memories) you have to really really invest money. And you have the problem not to control the OS development.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 3-Feb-2021 15:16:09
#34 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

I guess we are back to the old argument about fusel fuel vs renewable energy.
How many old dinosaurs can you dig up, before you runout, however if you can create Jurassic park.
Clearly FPGA are better because you can clone the DNA, and even mix DNA to make the octopus shark bear.

So there possible combine market for people like bears, sharks and octopuses, but is the combine product really better?

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 03-Feb-2021 at 03:26 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 03-Feb-2021 at 03:19 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 03-Feb-2021 at 03:16 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 3-Feb-2021 20:15:08
#35 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

you mean this the V4?

Interesting idea

The idea of V4 is "what if"... what if 68k would be further developed and Amiga with AAA chipset would have become reality

it is certainly interesting for people with amiga interest and memories. Of course it is still a retro mchine. But as I wrote... a healthy retro platform is not mainstream but a lot more than what we currently have

agami 
Posted on 4-Feb-2021 2:19:20
#36 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
This is the community ...
its where hard to build 10 years plans when not everyone is on the same page.

No good plan attacks all market segments at the same time. The strategy is to pick the right segment with which to start, then that helps get the next segment, and then the 3rd segment, and if its executed correctly the rest of the dominoes will fall on their own.

agami 
Posted on 4-Feb-2021 2:42:20
#37 ]

@OlafS25

Quote:
I would not too much critisize Trevor. He is not a investor in classic sense with a business plan behind but a amiga fan (OS4) with money behind.

As I said, his efforts are commendable. His love and passion for the Amiga platform are clear, and he has many times made it clear that his motivations are personal.

My problem is the early messaging from A-Eon (2009-2011) leading up to the launch of the A1-X1k. At the time it was touted as the resurrection of the Amiga, complete with a custom-ish Xena co-processor and a Xorro slot. It generated a wave of (false) hope in the shrinking community.

Trevor has achieved his personal goals: great. Yet here we are in 2021 and the X1k and X5k have not been the bellwether that the community was lead to believe.

I do agree that Trevor is not a typical investor, and I also do agree that to resurrect the Amiga platform for 21C a more typical investor is required. What I would like is for those pinning their hopes on X5k, Tabor, Hyperion, to understand that.

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 4-Feb-2021 13:34:20
#38 ]
Elite Member

@amigang

OK, here's the master plan

https://youtu.be/XAfbm-njvXA?t=790

number6 
Posted on 4-Feb-2021 14:03:52
#39 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

The 10 second plan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO5sxLapAts&ab_channel=RyanHolota

Just substitute for underpants:
trademarks
copyrights
distribution rights
etc.

spudmiga 
Posted on 5-Feb-2021 0:54:56
#40 ]
Cult Member

@amigang

Trademark, lawyer disputes to end - all companies agree to join forces and become new Amiga Technologies Inc.

A-EON, Cloanto, Hyperion all work together - to bring the first complete new affordable all-in-one Amiga system and true successor to the A1200, the A1400.

It will feature a slot loading optical drive, multiple USB ports including the facility to add an external USB floppy drive which would be bootable from U-Boot to autoboot legacy software and Workbench disks.

It will come pre-installed with AmigaOS 4.5, have a new dedicated true-colour on-board graphics, onboard sound, 8Gb of RAM, a 1Tb hard disk and onboard wifi/ethernet.

A pre-order bundle of 500 will be manufactured to test the water, and to everyones surprise the bundles sell out immediately. Another batch of a few thousand are released to general online retailers / Amiga dealers.

The userbase increases rapidly and eventually Amiga Future and Amiga Addict magazine starts appearing in WH Smiths and magazine outlets across the country.

Some old companies who abandoned the Amiga in the 90s start to jump back on board developing software.

Amiga users are happy again and look forward to a bright future.

Spud

Night Operations

A1200 020/28MHz + 64Mb / 4Gb CF / OS 3.1.4.1 / 1438S
A500+ / 2Mb
A600

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle