Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 116 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

BigD,  OlafS25

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  2 mins ago
 BigD:  2 mins ago
 zErec:  9 mins ago
 amigakit:  12 mins ago
 retrofaza:  41 mins ago
 kolla:  55 mins ago
 edwardsjethro:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 joeyunderwood:  1 hr 48 mins ago
 Sikharubel:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  2 hrs 14 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Amiga Laptop
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
1Mouse 
Re: Amiga (Sam440) Laptop
Posted on 18-Oct-2016 18:31:06
#21 ]

@olegil

Trouble is to be able to do as you suggest you need a Sam460ex, I don't have one.

I have the Sam460cr which has no onboard anything and was a dud from the get go, wish I'd not bought it.

Last edited by 1Mouse on 19-Oct-2016 at 08:50 PM.

Sam460cr + OS4.1FE

Profile     Report this post  
duga 
Posted on 18-Oct-2016 20:18:37
#22 ]

@1Mouse

Then sell it. You should get what you paid for it, or at least close to.

Rob 
Posted on 19-Oct-2016 0:44:18
#23 ]
Elite Member

@1Mouse

Quote:

1Mouse wrote:
@all

I've just dug out my Sam440 and had a look at the motherboard.

It seems too tall with those SATA ports sticking up and my 512mb RAM, you talking about an inch at least in height.

Not sure if there are any old laptops that are this deep.

The SATA ports become a non-issue if you use cables with right angled connectors.

The best solution to the RAM is to get someone to solder some directly to the board and remove the retaining clips from the DIMM slot. Get the LVDS connector fitted at the same time.

The are some 17 inch gaming laptops that look light they are deep enough to accommodate. Certain Alienware models look best suited to the job. You may be able to get hold of an older model a bit more cheaply. Look for one that has dead CPU or board.

The layout of the boards and other modules means that you won't be able to simply slot a MiniITX board straight in. Modification to the lower half of the shell and possibly some fabrication will be required in order to change the layout to one more suited to the Sam.

If you're not really good at that kind of thing then it may be worth talking to Loriano since he's worked with both plastic and metal in creating the case for the Minimig, 1541 Ultimate and the X500 case. I'd definitely talk to Simon archer to since he created the Suzanne A600 laptop and also fabricated his own case for the 440ep from sheet metal.

Simon's Sam440ep is from an early production run and has the soldered on RAM and LVDS connector. If you get him onboard with the project then he might be willing to use it for testing out the layout and build before you need to have your own board modified.

olegil 
Posted on 19-Oct-2016 7:45:03
#24 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

Those angled SATA cables still build too much in height. You'll have to find a different solution to decrease height. Like removing connector and soldering cables directly. You'll want to have extremely short cables anyway, this kills a multitude of birds with a minimum amount of stones.

440ep with memory soldered on would work nicely. Is there anything else missing than just the memory chips? How does UBoot know whether to look for memory onboard in the first place?

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

1Mouse 
Posted on 19-Oct-2016 21:04:11
#25 ]

@all

This is getting to sound awfully difficult, I have no previous knowledge of soldering or fabricating.

I was just hoping that there was a laptop case deep and wide enough for me to place my 440ep board and possibly a bit of re-wiring.

I was obviously greatly deluded in my capabilities.

If there are others out there that have the capabilities to pull off a laptop conversion of a Sam440ep then let me know and I will donate my Sam for the project.

Sam460cr + OS4.1FE

BigD 
Posted on 19-Oct-2016 21:23:12
#26 ]
Elite Member

@1Mouse

I can't see why you just wouldn't buy an A.L.I.C.E. laptop when it's available! It runs emulated OS4.x classic as far as I know. The Suzanne Amiga 600 in a portable case was fun back in 1997 but in 2016 it all a bit naff really shoving a desktop computer in a suitcase

Rob 
Posted on 19-Oct-2016 21:53:22
#27 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

UAE doesn't have the compositing and 3D support offered by the Sam440ep.

When Suzanne was created larger laptops weren't really heard of and to keep the correct footprint for the screen size he had to stack the hardware components inside the case. With a 17" laptop as a basis you have more room to spread the components about and keep the height to a minimum.

Closed up the Suzzane probably looks like a mini briefcase but a well thought-out and designed Sam440 setup would look more like one of today's high end gaming laptop

Rob 
Posted on 20-Oct-2016 1:13:48
#28 ]
Elite Member

This could be a good base to start from.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Precision-M-Core2-Duo-T7400-2-16Ghz-3GB-80GB-win-7-17-Quadro-Laptop-/291772316548?hash=item43eefc3b84:g:2y8AAOSwGotWrNvP

Hypex 
Posted on 20-Oct-2016 13:53:02
#29 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Dude, we've been over this. Briefly. As you point out, emulated. It's a fake. OS4 doesn't run directly on the hardware. And from the prices I was reading about it looks expensive. A lot more than a mobo already sitting in your hands.

Will you be buying an A.L.I.C.E. laptop when it's available? Just to prove your point. So you too can have an OS4 laptop.

Any PC laptop can be set up to emulate OS4. If you have the time. Customising Linux to boot straight into OS4 is another story. But that misses the point. An actual OS4 laptop is simply a holy grail. It is sought after. And hacking one together yourself would be just cool.

Last edited by Hypex on 20-Oct-2016 at 01:54 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 20-Oct-2016 14:03:21
#30 ]
Elite Member

@1Mouse

At this point I'd look for a way to highten the case. The suggestions are getting too complicated by removing SATA ports and soldering memory directly on the board. Plus if any hardware develops a problem it's hard to to fix.

May sound dodgy but I wonder if two of those cases you have could be stuck together. Yes it would be a bit chunky like Cambels soup. After you remove the bottom of the top case of course.

If a bottom can come off easily without cutting it out that will be easier. Then just a matter of attaching the two together. Perhaps not super glue. But being able to bolt them together would be good.

olegil 
Posted on 21-Oct-2016 12:31:17
#31 ]
Elite Member

@1Mouse

If you can't solder, then the suitcase option is your friend.

Use this for a charge controller (needs a little bit of software, but nothing major):

http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/demo-board-manual/dc486B.pdf

In addition you'll need the LCD controller board and the picoPSU I linked in my previous response.

Even as a suitcase thing this would be pretty neat with a working battery

Edit: Then once you have everything working, shrink it down to fit an actual laptop shell by replacing tall things with soldered-on things and cables.

Last edited by olegil on 21-Oct-2016 at 12:33 PM.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

thellier 
Posted on 21-Oct-2016 13:55:00
#32 ]

>for battery charge/discharge control you need a bit of electronics. This is where it gets tricky.

Then perhaps the simplest would be to cannibalise an other old laptop for those components...
What laptop model would have voltage compatibles components ?

Alain Thellier

themamboman 
Posted on 21-Oct-2016 15:00:15
#33 ]

Don't forget the recent attempt to make an amiga laptop from an a600 using a compaq SLT case.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/amigaweb/permalink/10153232989098897/

olegil 
Posted on 26-Oct-2016 11:39:16
#34 ]
Elite Member

@thellier

Quote:
What laptop model would have voltage compatibles components ?

Just about all of them. But if you're able to scavenge that circuitry from an old motherboard then you are surely able to build it from scratch instead.

My post directly above yours shows an eval board that can be used, this is the simplest way. But the simplest way always comes at some cost, in this case wasted space.

1Mouse 
Re: Amiga Laptop
Posted on 6-Nov-2016 15:42:14
#35 ]

@all

Decided Sam440 in laptop case is not my cup of tea so thought my own A.L.I.C.E. was a possible way for.

So all please welcome E.M.M.A. (Emulation Machine, My Amiga), possible name changes welcome.

I have bought myself a 14" laptop and will commence.

I now have all I need.

Sam460cr + OS4.1FE

ne_one 
Posted on 6-Nov-2016 19:51:41
#36 ]
Cult Member

@1Mouse

So are you rolling your own A.L.I.C.E setup?

I wasn't sure if you could pick up the software bundle separately.

BigD 
Posted on 6-Nov-2016 20:29:58
#37 ]
Elite Member

@1Mouse

Glutton for punishment then. I'd have just bought the ALICE

1Mouse 
Posted on 6-Nov-2016 20:49:10
#38 ]

@BigD

I already had a copy of OS4.1fe Classic and a copy of Amiga Forever so just needed the hardware.

I went out and bought a 14" laptop at 2pm today and now the time is 8:45pm and the Windows 10 updates are still coming thick and fast.

Looks like it may be tomorrow before I get to play.

Sam460cr + OS4.1FE

Rob 
Posted on 6-Nov-2016 23:29:52
#39 ]
Elite Member

@1Mouse

Are you still going to offer the Sam440ep to anyone who wants to take on the project themselves? If there's anyone willing to take it on, off course.

Hypex 
Posted on 7-Nov-2016 9:09:53
#40 ]
Elite Member

@1Mouse

I would have said My Amiga Emulation Machine but M.A.E.M. doesn't sound as good. I know. MAYHEM. My Amiga Yielded Hybrid Emulation Machine. (You're fired - Ed.)

It reminds me of Emily. A UAE GUI I never wrote. Emily is to emulation as UAE is to Amiga. Or it was going to be.

Since you won't be doing real hardware for the moment. All you need is an AmigaOne emulator. Simply download QEMU. And configure it to compile PPC emulation with custom UBoot firmware. Stick your OS4.1FE disc in the virtual drive and you now have a proper OS4 laptop with 2GB of RAM!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle