Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 143 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  18 secs ago
 zipper:  20 mins ago
 Templario:  26 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  39 mins ago
 RobertB:  45 mins ago
 GPTNederlands:  1 hr 1 min ago
 janelancy:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 -Sam-:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 54 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Software
      /  Hyperion release official AmigaOS WB3.1 & Kickstart 3.1 updates !!!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 Next Page )
PosterThread
matthey 
Re: Hyperion release official AmigaOS WB3.1 & Kickstart 3.1 updates !!!
Posted on 4-Nov-2018 18:20:03
#521 ]

Quote:

aria wrote:
What about Kurosawa's Seven Samurai? There you have people fighting for their own souls, not for money. This is how I see Cloanto.

I never considered the "Seven Samurai" were fighting for "their own souls". While some felt a moral obligation or at least wanted to perform a good deed, others were helping their friends and perhaps wanted an adventure. Granted, they were not in it for the money but maybe they were a little hungry. The ending does not leave them thinking they had saved their own souls as Kambei says, "In the end we lost this battle too. The victory belongs to the farmers, not to us." In support of your view, the movie was named the "Seven Samurai" instead of "Seven Ronin" suggesting they had regained their honor.

You are comparing the Amiga situation to the movie so let me try to sort out the actors. The Amiga community would be the poor, naive and mostly innocent villagers being robbed. The Amiga 68k developers would be the samurai/ronin who sacrificed to help the villagers for free. The bandits would be Hyperion who take what they did not produce from not only the villagers but also the Samurai in this case (interesting story twist). The samurai tried to negotiate with the bandits rather than shed blood but the bandits took everything. Then the old village bandits show up (Amiga Inc. in all its forms) working with the Shogun (Cloanto). The two bandit factions prepare for battle. The rest of the story is yet to come. The following are the possible endings.

1) The old bandits defeat the new bandits in battle. The old bandits look for new ways to pillage and take advantage of the villagers. The Shogun continues to do little to help the villagers plight. The samurai may work for the Shogun now and may actually be compensated for their work.

2) The new bandits defeat the old bandits in battle. The plundering continues but perhaps the samurai can negotiate to improve the situation. Maybe the new bandits will be willing to share with the samurai even though they did not before. Bandits can stop their greedy ways and change after all, right? The new bandits set up their own government which legalizes their stealing and makes them above the law. The villagers never question the morality of governments much like today.

3) The new and old bandits do battle and weaken themselves so much that a new faction gains control of the village. It can't get any worse for the villagers right?

4) The new and old bandits join forces and work together to plunder the village. Of course they could choose to be moral and make more money off commerce than stealing from a few poor villagers but do bandits change their ways?

In any case, the bandits are the problem and *not* the samurai. The samurai are victims much like the villagers. We need to work together to spot and defend against bandits so the samurai do not end up working for bandits. Destroying bandits may not be a solution either as other bandits may come in and take their place. Unfortunately, the Amiga village has been severely weakened by bandits already.

Last edited by matthey on 04-Nov-2018 at 06:24 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Akiko 
Posted on 4-Nov-2018 18:27:21
#522 ]
Cult Member

Are these coming to Amigakit, or should I try to order elsewhere?

CD32/ FMV Module

BigD 
Posted on 4-Nov-2018 18:46:40
#523 ]
Elite Member

@kamelit0

Quote:
I wonder if Olsen or Thor or any others developers & testers, translators etc who worked hard and for free on this update for many years will have done so if they weren't sure that Hyperion own the rights to release it.

From Thomas' responses my guess is that the developers occupy that very dangerous of positions; that of sitting on the fence in regards to IP ownership and a view of the legal stuff. As long as they get access to the code they love and are given the satisfaction of adding to it and 'perfecting it' (in their eyes), then I doubt they care about anything else. The metaphor I used was the fictitious scientists working at Jurassic Park.

Q. Is coding / science cool?
Answer: Yes

Q. Is the blind practice of further 68k AmigaOS coding / DNA dinosaur science wise in the environment of the Toxic Amiga litigation season / Jurassic Park?
Answer: In my opinion NO! However, it seems that In the coders' / scientists' opinion the answer is; NOT MY DEPARTMENT / IT'S ABOVE MY PAY GRADE TO CARE!

aria 
Posted on 5-Nov-2018 0:56:41
#524 ]

@matthey

Quote:
The following are the possible endings.

How about this scenario:

5) The villagers are not naive. Nor are the samurai, who made a mistake in working for the new bandits and pretending it was above their pay grade not to know. The old bandits and the shogun are secretly serving a new emperor, who is wise, compassionate and infinitely strong. The new bandits will be exterminated. The villagers and the samurai will live happily ever after.

hth313 
Posted on 5-Nov-2018 4:03:49
#525 ]

@matthey

Ha-ha, thank you for brightening up my evening!

I suggest a twist ending, the villagers fed up with the bandits (new and old) turn to an open source alternative instead, and leave the bandits fighting, ignored and forgotten.

olsen 
Posted on 5-Nov-2018 12:12:08
#526 ]
Cult Member

@matthey

Quote:

matthey wrote:
Quote:

aria wrote:
What about Kurosawa's Seven Samurai? There you have people fighting for their own souls, not for money. This is how I see Cloanto.

I never considered the "Seven Samurai" were fighting for "their own souls". While some felt a moral obligation or at least wanted to perform a good deed, others were helping their friends and perhaps wanted an adventure. Granted, they were not in it for the money but maybe they were a little hungry. The ending does not leave them thinking they had saved their own souls as Kambei says, "In the end we lost this battle too. The victory belongs to the farmers, not to us." In support of your view, the movie was named the "Seven Samurai" instead of "Seven Ronin" suggesting they had regained their honor.

Thank you for going deeper into the context of the film's story, which many people seem to view more in the context of John Sturges' 1960 remake, probably because it is much more accessible to western audiences who expect to see a Western

These films share a great number of similarities, but the number of differences are arguably at least as numerous and particularly significant. This makes it difficult to apply the story to our beloved Amiga saga/soap opera without dragging in plenty of cultural references which only serve to make things more confusing...

Sorry, I'm a Kurosawa geek (and I haven't seen as many Kurosawa gendai-geki films as I ought to)

olsen 
Posted on 5-Nov-2018 17:29:19
#527 ]
Cult Member

@aria

Quote:

aria wrote:
@matthey

Quote:
The following are the possible endings.

How about this scenario:

5) The villagers are not naive. Nor are the samurai, who made a mistake in working for the new bandits and pretending it was above their pay grade not to know. The old bandits and the shogun are secretly serving a new emperor, who is wise, compassionate and infinitely strong. The new bandits will be exterminated. The villagers and the samurai will live happily ever after.

Sorry to be a nitpick, but this doesn't fly in the context of "Seven samurai" because at the time (late 16th century) the shogun didn't care about the superiority of the emperor or the imperial family, for that matter, having secured de-facto military control of Japan a long time ago.

Being able to limit the movements of the emperor and to restrict his income effectively inverted the relationship of feudal superiority.

Any attempt to frame "the Amiga story so far" in the context of the film is likely to run into narrative and incidental problems. This story already is too complicated, hard to believe, and at times just too strange to even try to make sense of, and it's not helping to tell it by story analogy.

Try "The magnificent seven" on for size, it might make for a less complicated story

(and try your best to avoid "Yojimbo" as a reference, because that would be a much more depressing narrative for "the Amiga story so far")

Snorg 
Posted on 5-Nov-2018 17:36:37
#528 ]

Interesting and entertaining parallelisms aside, perhaps fighting isn't the solution ...

Trixie 
Posted on 5-Nov-2018 19:51:50
#529 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@olsen

Quote:
(and try your best to avoid "Yojimbo" as a reference, because that would be a much more depressing narrative for "the Amiga story so far")

Or "Ran"

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

wawa 
Posted on 5-Nov-2018 19:57:15
#530 ]
Elite Member

@Trixie

hey, how about throne in blood or rashomon? name it, everythig applies..

wawa 
Posted on 5-Nov-2018 20:02:00
#531 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

imagine some ragged beggars gathering in rain around an oil barrel with burning electronix waste. one says: kick 3.1.4 is illegal.
the other says: ive heard another story: 68k code is faster under emulation on ppc than on x64.
third says: ...

BigD 
Posted on 5-Nov-2018 20:20:01
#532 ]
Elite Member

@Trixie

Your references are too low brow! How about the 1989 Milky Way advert; The Red Car & The Blue Car had a Race? Hyperion is the greedy Red Car and the Blue Car could be Amiga Inc., Cloanto, MorphOS or all three.

"All Red wanted to do was stuff his face!"

"But smart old Blue he lived another day!" Paraphrasing obviously!

The Red Car and The Blue Car had a Race: 1989 Milky Way Advert

Last edited by BigD on 05-Nov-2018 at 08:27 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 5-Nov-2018 20:39:08
#533 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
imagine some ragged beggars gathering in rain around an oil barrel with burning electronix waste. one says: kick 3.1.4 is illegal. the other says: ive heard another story: 68k code is faster under emulation on ppc than on x64. third says: ...

We get it that in the big scheme of things this is a small blip in a greater chaotic soap opera where most people lost interest over twenty years ago!

Hyperion/Cloanto have still however severely let us down in the last year with the court disputes and the release of OS 3.1.4 looks now to grant all the hard earned efforts of Eyetech, Hyperion and A-EON straight back to Amiga Inc. for them to sit on forever! Great strategy! Is it a case of if Hyperion can't sell this stuff they'd rather it get locked up by Amiga Inc. forever because that is pretty much what they've set in motion! Either that or they must think that they are legally invincible!?

THIS IS HYPERION IN A NUT SHELL ....

... I mean I get the cliche "use it or lose it" but is that really a legally defensible position for Hyperion to fight from. Yes they have the license for AmigaOS 4.x and yes they are making use of it. So far so good (although many would argue it's not enough and development is slow).

And now they have the sources and developers to push forward 68k AmigaOS 3.1 but is it simply a greedy response to the fact neither Amiga Inc nor Cloanto have pushed for 68k code improvements since H&P's OS3.9 so Hyperion fancy chancing their arm (and the entire AmigaOS 4.x ecosystem) on steamrolling in and selling it with or without a credible license therefore jeopardising the license for AmigaOS 4.x that they do have?!

Am I missing something? Is this an end game play from Hyperion? All or nothing? Fortune and glory or to die trying?

Last edited by BigD on 05-Nov-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 05-Nov-2018 at 09:30 PM.

amigakit 
Posted on 5-Nov-2018 22:21:18
#534 ]
Amiga Kit

@BigD

Quote:
the release of OS 3.1.4 looks now to grant all the hard earned efforts of Eyetech, Hyperion and A-EON straight back to Amiga Inc. for them to sit on forever!

The Enhancer Software that is actively developed by A-EON and the Amiga Developer Network Team is completely independent and not based on any source code which can be affected by third-party disputes. It will be continued to be developed and the project will progress regardless.

BigD 
Posted on 5-Nov-2018 23:59:40
#535 ]
Elite Member

@amigakit

Quote:
It will be continued to be developed and the project will progress regardless.

That's a good thing to be reminded of, however if this all goes south you will still need the equivalent of the Emperor's Golden Throne (Warhammer 40k reference) to keep an undead Hyperion going to allow access to the AmigaOS 4.x license to allow you to bundle AmigaOS 4.x with new hardware.

To 'Enhance' something you have to be able to buy the original thing and unless you have a contingency regarding the transferring of the AmigaOS license to A-EON in the event of Hyperion completely entering insolvency and ceasing trading then it doesn't make me feel that much better.

Thanks for trying though and obviously I'm praying that this would all work out for the well meaning parties (AmigaOS 3.1.4 developers included despite my own personal opinion that their efforts were used to add fuel to this horrible litigious situation).

Last edited by BigD on 06-Nov-2018 at 12:06 AM.

matthey 
Posted on 6-Nov-2018 0:38:43
#536 ]

Quote:

aria wrote:
How about this scenario:

The villagers in the "Seven Samurai" were not so naive either. They hid things from the samurai, Rikichi's wife was handed over to the bandits by the villagers (not kidnapped) and the old women killed the captured bandit against the wishes of the samurai. Neither were the samurai innocent even though they were overall honorable samurai. Morality is blurred in the movie which itself is representative of the escalation of immorality and violence.

I believe Olsen and ThoR have the best intentions for the Amiga villagers. In my limited contact with Olsen, he appears to be one of the nicest guys in the Amiga community and has more principles and integrity than most. ThoR had practically abandoned the Amiga and his Amiga 2000 with 68060 accelerator was flaky when I contacted him about a bug in his 68060.library I found while improving the vbcc 68k FPU support. He none the less fixed the bug and rejoined the Amiga community when he started posting on amiga.org based on a link to a thread I gave him. Add to this the fact that the developers did not get paid for AmigaOS 3.1.4 and I see no goal other than to try to make something happen while benefiting the Amiga community (honorable samurai intentions). They did a great job despite limitations. I have no involvement in the new AmigaOS development myself. Why they contacted Hyperion instead of Cloanto about doing a 68k AmigaOS upgrade is probably due to Olsen having developed for AmigaOS 4 as well and there being more development from them than from Cloanto. There is also the possibility of using AmigaOS 4 code for a 68k upgrade. This is logical rather than some conspiracy theory even though Cloanto is the Shogun in my "Seven Samurai" narrative because they have the most legitimate claim to Amiga intellectual property which predates the likely illegal (fraudulent) transfer of Amiga IP from Amiga Washington. Olsen and ThoR probably assumed the legal situation would be worked out with Cloanto rather than turning into a legal battle.

Amiga Inc. Delaware paying their back taxes may suggest new Amiga benefactors have entered the picture on the Amiga Inc. side. I'm not sure this would be a good investment to acquire Amiga IP unless there is no chance the transfer to them could be contested. Buying stolen property is dangerous (also why there is title insurance). Hyperion would never challenge this as they could only lose IP but Cloanto could. I really don't understand why Hyperion would think they were in such a strong position. It looks like Cloanto is the Shogun and Hyperion is near bankruptcy. If I were a Hyperion stockholder, I would move to fire the person most responsible for this debacle and try to make amends with Cloanto. My intuition does tell me that the Amiga situation will improve. I do like happy endings. Perhaps you know something we don't?

Quote:

hth313 wrote:
Ha-ha, thank you for brightening up my evening!

I suggest a twist ending, the villagers fed up with the bandits (new and old) turn to an open source alternative instead, and leave the bandits fighting, ignored and forgotten.

I see your twist as the villagers abandoning the village. They lose their homes, infrastructure and community. They would likely scatter rather than migrate to the same place. They may retain some of their customs and culture but are likely to be assimilated at their destination. In Amiga terms, this is like changing architectures and breaking compatibility. This is what has already happened with the Amiga and all the factions. We don't have one united Amiga community but many small divided ones. I'm not against open source but I would like there to be unifying standards.

Quote:

olsen wrote:
Thank you for going deeper into the context of the film's story, which many people seem to view more in the context of John Sturges' 1960 remake, probably because it is much more accessible to western audiences who expect to see a Western

The "Seven Samurai" is one of the greatest movies of all time. None of the remakes come close even though some were good. It is so deep for a relatively simple movie. Pure genius.

Quote:

These films share a great number of similarities, but the number of differences are arguably at least as numerous and particularly significant. This makes it difficult to apply the story to our beloved Amiga saga/soap opera without dragging in plenty of cultural references which only serve to make things more confusing...

Sure. Just remember it is not loyalty to a master which makes a samurai but his heart.

Last edited by matthey on 06-Nov-2018 at 03:11 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 6-Nov-2018 8:39:13
#537 ]
Elite Member

@matthey

Quote:
I see your twist as the villagers abandoning the village. They lose their homes, infrastructure and community. They would likely scatter rather migrate to the same place. They may retain some of their customs and culture but are likely to be assimilated at their destination.

thats your interpretation. in reality settlements have been abandoned as soon they have become inhabitable if just to emerge in the next period in the vicinity but on a solid ground. infrastructure could be rebuilt as long as remembrance serves if it has been lost due to incompetent rule. important thing is that the knowledge must be maintained and passed by the transitional generation, otherwise it may really need to get reinvented. and the culture as much as self confidence is nothing static, it changes and develops constantly, loses and gains this and that, its normal.

SimplePPC 
Posted on 6-Nov-2018 9:33:55
#538 ]

@BigD

You don't have to fear Hyperion Entertainment going into insolvency anytime soon, quite the contrary even:)

SimplePPC 
Posted on 6-Nov-2018 9:35:39
#539 ]

@olsen

Are they talkin about this movie ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mw6LyyoeGE

Seems indeed something i need to watch !

BigD 
Posted on 6-Nov-2018 11:26:47
#540 ]
Elite Member

@SimplePPC

Why? Have they had a string of new investors? Are sales of OS 3.1.4 going through the roof despite digital sales being taken down? Maybe they've got a Pentti Kouri type character to help them pay off debt? None of these events has been made public as far as I know. Or is you winky to tell me this is all a joke?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle