Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 104 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 BigD:  39 mins ago
 OlafS25:  41 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 1 min ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 Frank:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 MickJT:  2 hrs 36 mins ago
 A1200:  3 hrs ago
 outlawal2:  3 hrs 34 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Viva Amiga big day
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Lazi 
Re: Viva Amiga big day
Posted on 9-Jan-2017 12:13:37
#21 ]
Cult Member

I can see Viva Amiga as another missed opportunity.
There have been a clear demand for a good documentary about the Amiga phenomenon. There was the money collected by Kickstarter and there was enough time.

But something should be missed from the project because the result in my opinion is not satisfying for the hardcore Amiga fan nor the amateur who has some interest.
It is too superficial for the viewer that has some knowledge about Amiga, and tells too less for the one who knows almost nothing about the possibility that the Amiga meant.

Anyway the first half of the movie was a pleasure for me as being an Amiga addict. There is so few places nowadays where Amiga is mentioned, so we should appreciate everything that tells us from that golden age of computing.

Profile     Report this post  
g01df1sh 
Posted on 10-Jan-2017 13:03:30
#22 ]

@Lazi

There looks like there is a second part coming.

If you couldn't make it to MAGfest, Viva Amiga is available now on iTunes, Vimeo OnDemand, Amazon, and Google Play among other platforms. For news on possible future screenings, follow the film on Facebook. Can't get enough Amiga articles? You'll be pleased to know that the next installment of my History of the Amiga series is coming soon!

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

BigD 
Posted on 10-Jan-2017 13:24:11
#23 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh

Lazi Quote:

Quote:

The genie is out of the bottle and no one is that excited anymore I'm afraid. In true Amiga spirit the whole 'when it's done' and reliance on milking our optimism & patience dry has allowed the birth of another lacklustre product

Quote:
There looks like there is a second part coming.

We won't hold our breath! Life is too short. Congratulations to the team for finally releasing this film but may be everyone should just now move on with their lives.

RobertB 
Posted on 14-Jan-2017 19:42:18
#24 ]

There is a short but sweet review of the movie at

http://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2017/01/people-still-use-the-amiga-today-and-new-viva-amiga-documentary-shows-why/

Writing from Nassau, the Bahamas,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

A1200 
Posted on 30-Jan-2017 12:46:15
#25 ]
Elite Member

Just watched it. Nice production. Loved the 3D graphics. I think both Bedrooms to Billions and Viva Amiga will become must have videos alongside the Deathbed Vigil.

Rob 
Posted on 30-Jan-2017 16:15:17
#26 ]
Elite Member

@RobertB

Quote:
Writing from Nassau, the Bahamas

Are you trying to find where Commodore's money went?

A1200 
Posted on 19-Jan-2018 18:29:52
#27 ]
Elite Member

My physical DVD and posters etc. arrived today. Did it really get funded in 2011? Wow what a journey but like Brian Bagnall Zach is a man of his word, it just took a lot longer than anyone could have anticipated!

Templario 
Posted on 19-Jan-2018 20:25:49
#28 ]
Elite Member

@A1200
Well seven years waiting. I hope shall receive mine soon too.

A1200 
Posted on 20-Jan-2018 0:05:04
#29 ]
Elite Member

@Templario

Yes since the pledge I have purchased my first house and had my first child! Didn't quite get married in time but amazing how time flies!

khayoz 
Posted on 20-Jan-2018 6:10:40
#30 ]

@KenK

Quote:
I purchased "Bedrooms to Billions" on Steam and I have to say, it is a far superior piece of film. Not as focused as Viva, but still better in nearly every way.

Yeah I agree 100%

@Lazi

Quote:
There have been a clear demand for a good documentary about the Amiga phenomenon. There was the money collected by Kickstarter and there was enough time.

But something should be missed from the project because the result in my opinion is not satisfying for the hardcore Amiga fan nor the amateur who has some interest.
It is too superficial for the viewer that has some knowledge about Amiga, and tells too less for the one who knows almost nothing about the possibility that the Amiga meant.

Anyway the first half of the movie was a pleasure for me as being an Amiga addict. There is so few places nowadays where Amiga is mentioned, so we should appreciate everything that tells us from that golden age of computing.

Feel the same..

amigang 
Posted on 20-Jan-2018 9:02:18
#31 ]
Elite Member

I got mine, had a annoying £12 VAT/customs charge at the post office to pay to get it, but it is nice to finally get my rewards,

quick unboxing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwe5-Yfd3xE&lc

it is a good film, but I feel a 1hr doc should of not taken 6 years to get to this point and it would of been nice if the backer got there reward before general release or at least or as close to the same time as the film came out, as it been another year before getting to this point.

Plus I dont like how this kinda lead to classic Amiga videos being copyrighted on youtube. Specially when it was community founded and its own trailer used classic Amiga footage to promote it self before clonato got more protective with its media rights.

but after that little rant, I pleased zach came though and Id like to thank all involved in making this happen as I did'nt think we see an Amiga film, now we got three! (viva amiga, bedroom to billions, commodore story)

Last edited by amigang on 20-Jan-2018 at 09:08 AM.

Rob 
Posted on 20-Jan-2018 14:11:12
#32 ]
Elite Member

@amigang

I got slapped with customs too. £11.21. It looks like whoever packed it too more care of your posters too. Mine just seemed to have been shoved in the box with no consideration rather than being rolled up and and secured with an elastic band like yours. There are quite a number of creases than in some areas have damaged the print. RJ Mical now has a nasty scar on his face.

Last edited by Rob on 20-Jan-2018 at 02:12 PM.
Last edited by Rob on 20-Jan-2018 at 02:12 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 24-Jan-2018 20:26:42
#33 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

Horrendous packing disaster Bedrooms to Billions Blu-Ray production all the way That was a well run Kickstarter project and this just seems like a shambles in comparison. Did this one feature ClickBoom! and Napalm (the Amiga's best RTS) or do these documentary makers only remember A500 demos and Sensible Soccer? My experience of the Amiga as being superior to the Atari ST started with Alien Breed / Lemmings 2 and ended with Napalm / T-Zero / Xtreme Racing / Slam Tilt and Blitz Bombers. You'd think the ClickBoom! era never existed if you listen to these blinkered book and documentary creators

Last edited by BigD on 24-Jan-2018 at 08:28 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 24-Jan-2018 at 08:27 PM.

A1200 
Posted on 25-Jan-2018 21:42:12
#34 ]
Elite Member

@BigD
Dude you are obsessed with Napalm - so much so god is getting jealous ;)

BigD 
Posted on 25-Jan-2018 22:11:16
#35 ]
Elite Member

@A1200

I just think it deserves its day in the sun. However good the A500 games were they were crippled and comparable to the Atari ST until Team 17 et al. came along and proved it was superior but that was around 1991 a full 4 years after the A500's launch! Eye of the Beholder looked nice but it played like a dog. The killer app game was Batman the Movie which was a million seller bundled game in the UK, but was perfectly playable on the Atari ST too! The A1200 came along in 1992 so as far as I'm concerned it was the AGA machines that set the Amiga apart from the ST/Falcon in hardware (although the Falcon had great hardware) and software (AGA software rocked). Why aren't the AGA games celebrated like they should be?

Last edited by BigD on 25-Jan-2018 at 10:35 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 25-Jan-2018 at 10:33 PM.

djrikki 
Posted on 25-Jan-2018 22:48:33
#36 ]
Elite Member

I recorded an unboxing video too a couple of weeks ago now - I was clueless as to what the parcel was I went to pick up - nice surprise!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r7DZvLTAY8

PS. I didn't have to pay any customs at the PO - nothing mention anyhow.

BigD 
Posted on 26-Jan-2018 0:01:48
#37 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

You know what has been an eye opener to me from the Amiga Years Book is that Commodore could have quite easily gone under in 1986/87. The Amiga 1000 failed to sell anywhere enough units and without the A500 the whole corporation was dead in the water. The Ranger project was aiming at the PC business market when all Commodore knew was mass produced cost reduced consumer products. The fact that we got as far as the A1200/A4000(T) was a miracle and the CD32 was a bonus. Commodore were pretty much out of ideas after the C64 but they still had some clever engineers to cost reduce the Amiga and prolong the life of the C64 with GEOS GUI etc.

Is any of this covered in Viva Amiga or is it just blinkered Amigans spouting off about how great the Copper and Blitter were? If so I'm really not bothered. Amiga Corp. without Dave Morse wasn't focused enough to keep a sensible vision and Commodores 'vision' was just to survive rather than build the platform to a level to compete with the Mac never mind the IBM compatibles.

I think what I really want is another Amiga Compendium book just focused on AGA games and software. Another analysis of Defender of the Crown and Monkey Island is not required and we've heard the story of the custom chips hundreds of times by now. How about a NewTek expose and the story of how the VideoToaster nearly saved the Amiga? That WOULD be interesting! Or how about the Alan Redhouse story; Eyetech: Amiga Computer Store and Peripheral Workshop to AmigaOne co-creator and Amiga NG Computer Platform Saviour!

Last edited by BigD on 26-Jan-2018 at 12:06 AM.
Last edited by BigD on 26-Jan-2018 at 12:05 AM.

number6 
Posted on 2-Aug-2018 16:31:40
#38 ]
Elite Member

@thread

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Viva-Amiga-DVD/55811739

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle