Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 109 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

DiscreetFX,  saimo

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 saimo:  4 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  4 mins ago
 sibbi:  5 mins ago
 vox:  16 mins ago
 kolla:  26 mins ago
 Mr_DBUG:  27 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 retrofaza:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  1 hr 36 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Things i would like to be addressed by OS developers
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
broadblues 
Re: Things i would like to be addressed by OS developers
Posted on 7-Feb-2017 23:46:43
#41 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@BigD

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
What happened to Skip? It only seems to randomly appear now and then.

Why the hell was that removed? That is a basic component of Workbench behaviour! I am shocked that in some ways the OS regressed!

You would be lot less shocked if you boght the OS and used it rather than listen to the inane ramblings of semi comptetent users.... ofcourse the "skip" feature hasn't been removed....

Profile     Report this post  
BigD 
Posted on 7-Feb-2017 23:55:11
#42 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

Cheers! Good to know but Hypex said it doesn't always come up!

Hypex 
Posted on 8-Feb-2017 0:37:50
#43 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

It's still there but I never see it when I need it too. It picks its moments when it does come up. Most of the time I get an object already exists error and no other choices for how to do with it. Bit unfriendly and rigid.

@All

Okay here's another. UNDO. Any WB file operation needs an undo. Or in the least a log of what was done. How many times have you slipped on the mouse and lost files on the WB? Checking all the drawers in view to find it. Checking dates of drawers doesn't always reveal where it went.

Daedalus 
Posted on 8-Feb-2017 9:48:25
#44 ]

@BigD, Hypex

As I explained before, It doesn't come up when you move files since moving files doesn't overwrite them (and never did), but when you copy files it always comes up - at least for me (and I've a pretty standard setup).

Last edited by Daedalus on 08-Feb-2017 at 09:48 AM.

Amigo1 
Posted on 8-Feb-2017 10:58:39
#45 ]

@Xenic

Quote:

Xenic wrote:
@Amigo1
After re-reading my post I've decided it was a little terse but I thought you were serious about needing to drag a bunch of files to the WorkBench desktop and then drag them to a destination window. The context menu works for copying from one window but you can shift-select files in multiple windows and then drag them to a single destination window. It's not something you would use very much but it works

no problem, most important thing is we get to understand each other and have fun here!

Amigo1 
Posted on 8-Feb-2017 11:05:29
#46 ]

@Daedalus

Quote:

Daedalus wrote:
@BigD, Hypex

As I explained before, It doesn't come up when you move files since moving files doesn't overwrite them (and never did), but when you copy files it always comes up - at least for me (and I've a pretty standard setup).

You are right. IMHO it would be handy nevertheless to have a "merge" function..
"We" (or Hyperion for all that matters) are trying to modernise and implement new features in AmigaOS, so I read this as a proposal/request from users.\

Now my vote is: it's a handy feature, I'd love to see that implemented. (I remember a few years ago someone at Hyperons said something along the lines of "Workbench would need a complete overhaul". So maybe we all have to wait for that to happen.)

Amigo1 
Posted on 8-Feb-2017 11:07:19
#47 ]

@All

Okay here's another. UNDO. Any WB file operation needs an undo. Or in the least a log of what was done. How many times have you slipped on the mouse and lost files on the WB? Checking all the drawers in view to find it. Checking dates of drawers doesn't always reveal where it went.[/quote]

Ohh another very handy proposal of yours!

I vote for: Let's ave this implemented too!!

Edit: @ Hypex

Last edited by Amigo1 on 08-Feb-2017 at 11:07 AM.

Hypex 
Posted on 8-Feb-2017 14:01:04
#48 ]
Elite Member

@Daedalus & broadblues 

I tried copy and paste as well and it was the same deal. It started to work but then ended in error. Like so:

I tried just replacing the whole drawer and then extracting out the extras by hand but it was too much so ended up using my old Local drawer and reinstalling the SDK again over the top.

Xenic 
Posted on 8-Feb-2017 16:39:13
#49 ]

@Hypex
Unless you have relabeled your system partition, the "Workbench" label on your system partition would indicate that you are using OS4.1u6 instead of OS4.1FE. It could be difficult to reproduce your problem if you are not using the latest version of the OS. AsyncWB was updated for OS4.1FE and again for OS4.1FEu1. If I'm wrong about that, I apologize.

That being said, it appears in your screen grab that you are performing a MOVE operation instead of a COPY operation which shows a different requester than a COPY operation. Just to be sure we are on the same page:

COPY is when you drag icons from one partition to another (or to RAM:).
MOVE is when you drag icons from one partition to another drawer on the same partition.

If it's a COPY operation, you get the error requester that is shown in broadblues's screen grab. When you perform a MOVE operation you get the error requester in your screen grab.

Should the ASyncWB requester offer a SKIP option for MOVE operations? Probably.
Should ASyncWB requesters show "Moving" instead of "Copying" for a MOVE operation? Definately, a change that should be made. Maybe you should request that in the Hyperion feature requests forum.

I only did a minimal test, but you might actually get a "merge" operation if you COPY from one partition to another.

Daedalus 
Posted on 8-Feb-2017 18:28:56
#50 ]

@Xenic

Indeed, a copy operation merges drawers, and always has. I don't remember the behaviour being different in any of the 4.1 releases, or any before. However, this is second nature to me after 20 years of using Workbench, so perhaps some clearer indication of what's going on might help. Windows, for example, adds a + symbol beside what you're dragging when you're doing a copy as opposed to a move, and gives an overwrite option for move operations too (though it's more necessary on platforms that tend to have only one volume mounted).

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 8-Feb-2017 21:39:31
#51 ]
Elite Member

7) When copying a large numer of files, sometimes a message box say something like "The child window...." appears

BigD 
Posted on 8-Feb-2017 21:50:05
#52 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

Quote:
7) When copying a large numer of files, sometimes a message box say something like "The child window...." appears

What? A BBC 'Play School' reference maybe?

"What's Through The Square Window?"

Today it's Grampa Jay and Mitchy!

Yesterday it was the mad professor off the CD32 advert!

Tomorrow it's Uncle Petro!

Last edited by BigD on 08-Feb-2017 at 10:10 PM.

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 9-Feb-2017 6:01:08
#53 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

I don't remember the full text.

It's something abut the child window process....

Hypex 
Posted on 9-Feb-2017 7:38:18
#54 ]
Elite Member

@Xenic

Yes, that is my 4.1 U6 volume. Due for a clean up. Does FE use a different label than Workbench? I don't remember, I have FE installed also, but set a label for it.

It should be easy enough to reproduce on FE. Even if I was updating my SDK when I saw it.

Yes I recall the move and copy operations. At first I tried to move it. Then I tried to copy it. What I mean by copy is I tried to use the context menu to copy and then paste.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Two drawers of the same name, with similar contents, we wish to merge.
2. Open the parent windows of each drawer.
3. Hold the right mouse button over the source drawer and chose copy from the context menu.
4. Activate the destination parent window, hold right mouse down and select paste from context menu.
5. The copy operation should proceed until it gives an error on duplicate files.

So we have different moves and copy operations here on WB.

Dandy 
Posted on 9-Feb-2017 9:09:11
#55 ]
Elite Member

@ilbarbax

Quote:

ilbarbax wrote:

The thing I do not like is the naming of the windows. I mean, the window name is just the directory name without the complete path. ... I would like to have somewhere (i.e in the bottom bar) the full path.

Good idea!
And please - implement the path-string in such a way that it can be highlighted, copied & pasted!!!

From my POV it is a big shortcoming in OS 3.x that highlighting, copy & paste don't work in all places on an classic Amiga system (i.e. in requestors) - that should definitely get fixed asap. in NG Amiga OS!!!

Dandy

KimmoK 
Posted on 9-Feb-2017 10:41:52
#56 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

"How many times have you slipped on the mouse and lost files on the WB?"

+1

Undo would be nice, yes.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

broadblues 
Posted on 9-Feb-2017 12:26:38
#57 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Dandy

Quote:

And please - implement the path-string in such a way that it can be highlighted, copied & pasted!!!

While your waiting for this unlikely feature try adding the following to your ENVARC:Contentmenus.cfg

,SingleIcon,Name to Clip,CLI,echo NOLINE %f >TextClip:0

Quote:

From my POV it is a big shortcoming in OS 3.x that highlighting, copy & paste don't work in all places on an classic Amiga system (i.e. in requestors) - that should definitely get fixed asap. in NG Amiga OS!!!

It isn't possible to do that, as displayed text is just graphics. Copy and Paste requires extra code that knows what the origial text is, which will be custom on a per aplication basis, or you would have to replace all text rendering with gadgets that can handle the input, and there was already a complaint about text speed earlier in the thead....

BigD 
Posted on 9-Feb-2017 12:57:12
#58 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

Quote:
It isn't possible to do that, as displayed text is just graphics. Copy and Paste requires extra code that knows what the origial text is, which will be custom on a per aplication basis, or you would have to replace all text rendering with gadgets that can handle the input, and there was already a complaint about text speed earlier in the thead....

What? System wide copy, paste and/or a system wide 'clipboard' hasn't been implemented and is "not possible"! That is pathetic Do we want AmigaOS to be taken seriously? It needs to be solved. Surely text speed is ok on 'fast' X1000/X5000 systems? Maybe just implement it on them?

This Wiki from Hyperion doesn't specify this area as an issue. What exactly are the limitations then. Is it just AmigaOS requestors and cetain 68k applications? Or is it just that the path string can't be copied easily in the file structure?

Again THIS Hyperion thread describes the only limitation as raw ASCII text only! This is hardly a deal breaker unless I'm missing something

If it's just the inability to copy the path string surely DOpus adds the functionality?

Last edited by BigD on 09-Feb-2017 at 01:15 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 09-Feb-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 09-Feb-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 09-Feb-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 09-Feb-2017 at 01:01 PM.

Daedalus 
Posted on 9-Feb-2017 16:52:16
#59 ]

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
What? System wide copy, paste and/or a system wide 'clipboard' hasn't been implemented and is "not possible"! That is pathetic Do we want AmigaOS to be taken seriously? It needs to be solved. Surely text speed is ok on 'fast' X1000/X5000 systems? Maybe just implement it on them?

Relax, you'll do yourself an injury if you always jump to the worst possible conclusions

Of course there's a system-wide clipboard, and it's been there since OS2, if not before. What there *isn't* is a method of copying and pasting text that isn't part of a gadget, e.g. requester text, window titles, screen titles, since they're text rendered to a bitmap that the system has no real awareness of at that level. Even Windows doesn't let you copy and paste window titles, or any text that's not specifically displayed in a copyable form. Try highlight and copy HUD text in a game for example.

But text in any text field can easily be copied and pasted system-wide on AOS.

As an aside, there was a utility for OS3 called PowerSnap that let you highlight any text on screen and it would attempt to copy the text to the clipboard. I presume it worked through some sort of simple OCR, but anyway, it was quite useful. I haven't tried it on OS4 but something tells me it doesn't have a hope of working with the new font rendering system.

Last edited by Daedalus on 09-Feb-2017 at 04:58 PM.

Amigo1 
Posted on 9-Feb-2017 18:43:57
#60 ]

@Dandy

Quote:

Dandy wrote:
@ilbarbax

Quote:

ilbarbax wrote:

The thing I do not like is the naming of the windows. I mean, the window name is just the directory name without the complete path. ... I would like to have somewhere (i.e in the bottom bar) the full path.

Good idea!

it would be nice to have that, in the meantime the neat workaround of @broadblues saves the day...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle