Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 115 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Troels:  38 mins ago
 Gunnar:  53 mins ago
 Rob:  58 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 18 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 24 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 27 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 40 mins ago
 Comi:  3 hrs 9 mins ago
 vox:  3 hrs 55 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Warning to Amiga buyers and sellers
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
mattk 
Re: Warning to Amiga buyers and sellers
Posted on 17-Feb-2017 13:25:47
#41 ]

@QuBe

Quote:
It must have been devastating to receive a box of mangled stuff like that

I have certainly had better days!

It began with a very early morning hospital appointment. I only got notice of the delivery expected on the same day, so couldn't make extra arrangements. The delivery would go to another property some 45 minutes drive away. I rushed directly there hoping I hadn't yet missed it. A road was closed, adding extra time for long diversion. Luckily, no card on the doorstep, so settled in to wait for the delivery. Unluckily, the heating had shut itself down so the place was stone cold freezing. Kept my coat on as I waited, wishing I had bought something for lunch. Delivery arrived a few hours later just as my mother called with news of a pipe leaking at her place. Put the box into the boot of my car and rush off to do some emergency plumbing. Finally on getting home, no parking space available nearby. Carried that 20Kg box 100 yards down the street, then up two flights of stairs. Starving hungry, went out for dinner... (Highlight of the day.)

Came back and opened up the box. My very first thought was "Oh. Why has he included a PC keyboard within the package...?" At this point I still assumed he was a genuine buyer and had made some kind of mistake.

The second thought was horror as I saw what to me at first looked like the bottom of the Amiga. The Compaq PC case was dumped into the box upside-down, showing just the plain metal underside. I was already concerned about what condition I was going to find the machine in, and this seemed to confirm my worst fears. In a funny kind of way, it was almost a relief to realise that it wasn't the Amiga after all.

The third thought going through my mind was why didn't I check the contents of the box sooner? Would have saved a lot of lifting and carrying. And maybe I could have refused delivery while the Parcelforce guy was still there. All easy to say in hindsight. Maybe a helpful tip for someone else.

Profile     Report this post  
TargExplorer 
Posted on 17-Feb-2017 13:35:13
#42 ]

@mattk

Pm sent. Did you get it?

tlosm 
Posted on 17-Feb-2017 13:36:50
#43 ]
Elite Member

oh my gosh ... really bad. did u open a controversy on ebay and paypal?

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

mattk 
Posted on 17-Feb-2017 13:38:00
#44 ]

@Amigo1

To those saying I should report him to the police, I agree. I'm not sure how or where just yet, but if eBay doesn't help then that would seem to be my next step. At the moment though he has technically still paid for the computer, as no refund has been given, so I am waiting. (Though that money is currently locked by PayPal while the dispute continues.)

If a refund is forced on me, then he will have both the computer and the money. And one way or the other, that is clearly not right.

mattk 
Posted on 17-Feb-2017 14:22:43
#45 ]

@TargExplorer

Yes, thanks. Those pictures tell a thousand words. One of the things he told me was this:

Quote:
Also the floppy drive does not read any disks this was not stated in the ad it is crippled useless

And yet those pictures clearly show him reinstalling the hard drive, with a floppy disk in the drive. The next picture shows the successful result. Forwarded these to eBay. I only hope they understand them.

Thank you again.

Simon 
Posted on 17-Feb-2017 14:25:06
#46 ]
Cult Member

@mattk

I had a similar thing with µA1 years ago ... shipped working, shipped back mangled ... lost 800€.

At first paypal decided in my favor, buyer in the USA made a call to Paypal USA and it was turned in his favor in the blink of an eye without good reason.

I now have an A3000 on ebay for 500€ .... I disable paypal for high priced items, I don't care if the buyer likes it or not but never again. If they insist on paypal, fine send it as a gift.

It's also clearly sold for spares or repair although it works perfectly fine.

The Belgian Amiga Club on FACEBOOK !

The Belgian Amiga Club Website

Jose 
Posted on 17-Feb-2017 14:29:30
#47 ]
Cult Member

Don't just report to eBay, report to the police too. Another thing I remembered, some A4000 motherboards have stickers, I don't remember but could the serial number be included ? If you have pictures of the motherboard that included those numbers you could have even better proof.

José

m0lebrain 
Posted on 17-Feb-2017 14:52:01
#48 ]

@mattk

"Hi anyone who knows what has happened to my boot start on an amiga 4000 will be appreciated after installing pc janis emulator thanks"

"Now I need too install whd games"

Simon 
Posted on 17-Feb-2017 14:59:21
#49 ]
Cult Member

@m0lebrain

I saw that also ... so he installed the drivers and software for a 2088XT board, probably without the board itself and crap like that.

mattk 
Posted on 17-Feb-2017 15:19:02
#50 ]

@Simon @m0lebrain

Indeed. Installing the OS and other software is completely at odds with his argument "this should of been sold as spares - scrap".

pavlor 
Posted on 17-Feb-2017 15:28:51
#51 ]
Elite Member

@mattk

I hope he gets what he deserves!

@TargExplorer

Welcome!

klx300r 
Posted on 17-Feb-2017 17:03:49
#52 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

Jose wrote:
Don't just report to eBay, report to the police too. Another thing I remembered, some A4000 motherboards have stickers, I don't remember but could the serial number be included ? If you have pictures of the motherboard that included those numbers you could have even better proof.

correct, there are two stickers on my A4000D motherboard, one with the serial number and a smaller one with the revision No.

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Simon 
Posted on 17-Feb-2017 17:09:47
#53 ]
Cult Member

@mattk

Anyway, go to the police ASAP . No time to waste ... his prints are also over all that junk he send you so he can't say he did not send that to you. And make him aware of that.

Since you are in the same country he should not get away with what he did. Go to court whatever is necessary.

Last edited by Simon on 17-Feb-2017 at 05:10 PM.

klx300r 
Posted on 17-Feb-2017 18:31:42
#54 ]
Elite Member

@ Simon

just more evidence for a not so bright fool

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Rob 
Posted on 17-Feb-2017 20:04:48
#55 ]
Elite Member

While we're on the subject thieving users. What are the chances this is the guy who ripped Eyetech off way back in 2001?

The story.

https://twitter.com/xanthares

https://www.couchsurfing.com/people/xanthar

https://www.facebook.com/domagoj.stirinic

I wonder if the police ever caught up with him.

Raffaele 
Posted on 18-Feb-2017 7:57:21
#56 ]

@Simon

Quote:

Simon wrote:
@mattk

Anyway, go to the police ASAP . No time to waste ... his prints are also over all that junk he send you so he can't say he did not send that to you. And make him aware of that.

Since you are in the same country he should not get away with what he did. Go to court whatever is necessary.

Yes! It is important going to Police and add police report documentation to Ebay and to Paypal controversy filing, else Paypal could decide in his favor.

-Sam- 
Posted on 18-Feb-2017 9:05:23
#57 ]
Elite Member

@mattk

What a truly evil individual. Please don't let him get away with it and keep chasing. I do hope you get to keep the money from this. The only other advice I can give is that as you have an address in the UK you could launch a small claims court claim online. I have found this very successful as long as the address is real. I know there is a cost to this (depends on amount to be claimed back) but it is very effective. If they don't respond you can get a ccj against them. I have had to use the service four times with work and have had a success every time. It is effective as if they don't respond they find it difficult to get credit. In one instance I thought it had failed when a customer that owed us money didn't respond at all. Weeks later however they rang back and reluctantly paid. Why? Because they had tried to get a new job. The company they were applying to did a credit check on them and wouldn't employ them until they paid up! It does work as the ccj sits with them. Hunt this evil man down. Online link is here: https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

Hypex 
Posted on 18-Feb-2017 11:31:12
#58 ]
Elite Member

@billt

Quote:
It seemz like it would be a good idea for each of us to create our own "watermarks", some symbol or initials orbword to scratch into the pcb, case interior, etc which cannot be erased.

There's been pens around for years, since the 80's possibly, that do this. I had one. It was recommended to scribble your car license on your items so if they were stolen and located it could be looked up. IIRC they left an almost visible mark that was looked up by UV light.

So I got one and then scribbled my license on the clear acrylic cover of the record player. Then regretted that since it didn't seem a good idea to put my license on it. And obviously the cover can be taken off.

mattk 
Posted on 18-Feb-2017 12:44:27
#59 ]

@-Sam-

Thank you for that link, but I fear it might not be usable in my case. The user guide says it cannot be used for a defendant not based in either England or Wales. And in another place it says it cannot be used for a defendant who lacks 'mental capacity'. For this guy from Isle of Man I suspect one or the other of these might invalidate the claim...

Hope it helps someone else though. It sounds like an easy way to do it.

Raffaele 
Posted on 19-Feb-2017 9:19:01
#60 ]

@mattk

Start filing Police Report first.

Too many often Paypal decides in favor of buyer.

With Police Report your position will be improved.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle