Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 140 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

MickJT,  Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  51 secs ago
 MickJT:  52 secs ago
 A1200:  24 mins ago
 OlafS25:  38 mins ago
 outlawal2:  58 mins ago
 AndreasM:  1 hr 1 min ago
 sibbi:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 saimo:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 vox:  1 hr 37 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  LibreOffice coming for AOS4
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
Yssing 
Re: LibreOffice coming for AOS4
Posted on 5-Mar-2017 21:50:03
#61 ]

It is actually really simple, do you want the software, but for free, then get to work. If you can't port it yourself, then pay someone to do it. Don't expect that peoples work and time is free, yours might be, but don't assume that goes for every one else.

Profile     Report this post  
fastbit66 
Posted on 6-Mar-2017 0:50:55
#62 ]

@Yssing

Yepp I absolutely agree with you.

And there's another very important point I think:
We need maintainers for the software. I mean it's really great if somenone spend his
sparetime with porting a software product foe AOS. But - and please don't get me wrong -
in the past ports was thrown to the Amiga community and that was it.
I would like to make it quite clear that I do not want to diminish the performance of the people who did these ports !!!
But - hey they have already another full-time job. So very often they cannot go the with the pace the software evolves on the PC side (Linux,Mac,Windows)
But I think a port needs to be maintained - and I am pretty sure A-Eon will do this for Libre Office.

In my humble opinion it's totally ok to pay for their work.
I by myself write software in my daily job. But i have not the skills to do a port for an OS.
This is such a big thing to cope with. And I would love to see LO for AOS.
So I will pay for sure.

Another option to start an office suite would have been talking with Bessler about Cinammon Writer.
In 5 years there could have came out a really nice package. But that simply did not happen.
CW is a cool project.

Trixie 
Posted on 6-Mar-2017 7:17:49
#63 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Yssing

Quote:
It is actually really simple, do you want the software, but for free, then get to work. If you can't port it yourself, then pay someone to do it. Don't expect that peoples work and time is free, yours might be, but don't assume that goes for every one else.

Exactly. Under the present circumstances, it's pointless to turn the LibreOffice situation into a moral question, i.e. contemplate whether it is good or bad to get paid for working on an open source project.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

BSzili 
Posted on 6-Mar-2017 7:33:03
#64 ]

@Trixie

I wonder why people are bothered by that it will be paid. As long as they comply with the license and release the necessary sources, why shouldn't they make some money to cover the development costs? For example NeoOffice is a commercial OO fork for Mac, which also includes fixes from LO. To be fair NO has a native GUI, but that's a different discussion.

vrana 
Posted on 6-Mar-2017 8:53:40
#65 ]

@BSzili

In agreement. Don't get me wrong, I am a big Linux user and have been for years with a number of the idiosyncrasies that go with the territory. I would love to see Libre Office ported for free to the Amiga but that is just not going to happen, we just don't have the user base which comes with a nbunch of bored developers with nother better to do than work on a massive project like porting an office suite for free. With that said, if the price is reasonable, I will very seriously consider paying for an Amiga version.

Amigo1 
Posted on 6-Mar-2017 9:15:10
#66 ]

@cgutjahr

Quote:

cgutjahr wrote:
@Trixie

Quote:

Fat chance, I'd say.

Agreed. But think about it like this: ten years ago, Thomas Frieden was trying to kickstart an effort to port OpenOffice for free with a bunch of volunteers. Now he's only doing it because he's getting paid good money.

Maybe he was younger, had a better payed job, was more an idealist and had no girl friend back then? Who knows, and it's not up to us to judge. I've met the guy and he does not seem to swim in money. He is putting an effort in this and it's more than adequate he gets payed.
If money is the issue, let's ask him, maybe he is ok if we give him a contribution for the rent or bring him lunch every second day.. :roll

Quote:

That's the "not good news" part: The very people who always insisted on separate, custom PPC hardware because... reasons, who have successfully reduced the OS4 community to a mere fraction of what it used to be, who walk around behind the scenes, claiming they are owed an apology for Timberwolf are now charging you for stuff they once regarded as their hobby.

This is really over the top. The way you formulated your sentence, gives the impression you are pointing the finger to Thomas and/or Hans-Joerg Frieden accusing them to have reduced the community to what it is.
You should really rephrase.
Even with all the dislike you may or may not feel for both, this situation and for the twins, you can't perceive the recent years in such a distorted way.

Quote:

:Dancing banana:

Again, if this results in a usable, properly supported port for a sane price: I'm all for it. But I don't see a reason to get excited.

My desire and intention is to stay positive and help moving towards a more sustainable amiga-ecosystem. I'm confident in A-EON and also all the AmigaOS developers. Opefully they will be able to listen to good ideas and comments coming from the community members and filter out the bad ones without getting too involved and hurt in their feelings.

Probably, if even only 10 years ago the devs of all 3 fractions could have joined and screwed the competitions-thoughts the situation might have been much, much, much better now.

Anonymous 
Posted on 6-Mar-2017 11:46:41
# ]

@fastbit66

Quote:

Another option to start an office suite would have been talking with Bessler about Cinammon Writer.
In 5 years there could have came out a really nice package. But that simply did not happen.
CW is a cool project.

"Desler" is the developer of CW.

I was using it for a time, but since he is a one man dev on such a big project, the time between beta tests and feedback from him spans very long, so i keep losing interest.

Plus there are still some situations where it simply does not work the way it should, so i'm also not using it on a daily basis...shame, really, CW will be a nice software if it ever comes to be...

Report this post  
fastbit66 
Posted on 6-Mar-2017 12:23:09
#68 ]

@Raziel

Quote:
Desler" is the developer of CW.

Thank you for the correction. I really messed this up.

jorit2 
Posted on 6-Mar-2017 17:40:37
#69 ]

@ExiE

Quote:

In case they would like to bring more people to their platform, good browser and office suite are a must.

Not to spoil the fun, or to be nasty ... but I seriously wonder whether that's true.

I for one don't fire up an office suite everyday on my machine, not even for professional use.

And ... I don't think the availability of LibreOffice for AmigaOS will be the argument that makes me change my mind about whether I want AmigaOS.

Evert

kamelito 
Posted on 6-Mar-2017 19:04:17
#70 ]
Cult Member

@jorit2

For me it will just be having fun with computers again if it's even possible.
Kamelito

BSzili 
Posted on 6-Mar-2017 19:08:59
#71 ]

@kamelit0

I wonder if it's possible to have fun with an office suite I tend to use it for work, but maybe I'm old fashioned.

wawa 
Posted on 6-Mar-2017 20:05:02
#72 ]
Elite Member

@BSzili

yeah, having fun with an office application is a tough task. but people here are bound to achieve the impossible, so no wonder.

BigD 
Posted on 6-Mar-2017 21:12:39
#73 ]
Elite Member

@BSzili

Quote:

BSzili wrote:
@kamelit0

I wonder if it's possible to have fun with an office suite I tend to use it for work, but maybe I'm old fashioned.

Didn't Excel have a game as an Easter egg? The Hall of Tortured Souls I think it is; a Doom type game? Sounds like fun for accountants

kamelito 
Posted on 6-Mar-2017 21:49:19
#74 ]
Cult Member

@BsZili
It was my answer to "And ... I don't think the availability of LibreOffice for AmigaOS will be the argument that makes me change my mind about whether I want AmigaOS. "

For sure an Office app isn't what I'm after but I can understand that some may think that nobody will use an Amiga if they can't do basic things like internet surf etc and write whatever they want to using and office suite.
Kamelito

wawa 
Posted on 6-Mar-2017 23:04:49
#75 ]
Elite Member

@kamelit0

Quote:
I can understand that some may think that nobody will use an Amiga if they can't do basic things like internet surf etc

when it comes to amiga, it may be rather, completely different matters.. because using it may not refer to what you think its meaning is, in contemporary terms, instead to what it had been once useful for.

today neither amiga, os4, aros, morphos or something related are actually useful, except you are prepared to hit the wall, soon, when you need something contemporary.

to achieve it is (imho) an illusion, the so called "ng" systems have fallen for.. lots of investments... no actual gain... completely wrong strategy, if you ask me. but its been that for years, anyway.

Rob 
Posted on 7-Mar-2017 1:28:14
#76 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
Didn't Excel have a game as an Easter egg?

I think it was Excel '97 that a wireframe landscape you can fly around.

You don't necessarily need an Easter egg to have fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax2UBISNv2A

jorit2 
Posted on 7-Mar-2017 1:33:15
#77 ]

@Rob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs2XUffK-1w

BSzili 
Posted on 7-Mar-2017 7:03:11
#78 ]

@kamelit0

Don't worry, I was just joking because the "I'm having fun" mantra sounded amusing in this context

Dandy 
Posted on 8-Mar-2017 12:22:11
#79 ]
Elite Member

@Raziel

Quote:

Raziel wrote:
@all

I don't use facebook,

I also refuse to use mug blotter & Co. ...

Dandy

Dandy 
Posted on 8-Mar-2017 13:01:22
#80 ]
Elite Member

@cgutjahr

Quote:

cgutjahr wrote:
@wawa

But Control-C for 'copy to clipboard' is a no-go.

Why is this a 'no-go'?

This is one of the rare examples where I prefer the way Windows does c&p via shortcuts over the Amiga way.

Mainly because I'm right-handed and use the right hand to control the mouse and have the left hand free to press CTRL + X/C/V.

On the Amiga I have to use the right Amiga-key instead of the CTRL key at the left side of the keyboard and by that cannot use the right hand to mark the text.

This way the Amiga requires me to use both hands for pressing the shortcut-keys and coerces me into making an additional hand movement to mark the text with the mouse in the right hand first.
And - believe it or not - this way it takes more time than with the Win-way.

The only way to change this currently is to remap the keys for this purpose, e.g. to remap the right Amiga-key to the CTRL-key.

I would prefer if this could be changed in AmigaOS - without me having to remap any keys...

Dandy

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle