Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 143 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

MickJT,  Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  47 secs ago
 MickJT:  3 mins ago
 A1200:  27 mins ago
 OlafS25:  41 mins ago
 outlawal2:  1 hr 1 min ago
 AndreasM:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 sibbi:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 saimo:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 vox:  1 hr 39 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga Inc. Loses U.S. Trademarks
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 Next Page )
PosterThread
michalsc 
Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademark
Posted on 12-Apr-2021 6:56:46
#1161 ]
AROS Core Developer

@kolla

Quote:
Technically, on ARM, you can chose what endian mode you wish to use, you can even chose between two big-endian modes on many of them.

Indeed, but this feature is not mandatory. Many embedded market ARM chips are Little Endian only without option to switch endianess. Most high power class CPUs are though still bi-endian. My Emu68 runs actually in 64bit big-endian mode on RasPi machines as well as on RK3399 CPUs.

Unfortunately the M1 is little-endian only :(

Profile     Report this post  
Lou 
Posted on 12-Apr-2021 17:10:59
#1162 ]
Elite Member

@michalsc

I am willing to purchase a RPi4 directly from you as long as it comes with AROS running natively.

Like...

Pretty please!

Last edited by Lou on 12-Apr-2021 at 05:11 PM.

michalsc 
Posted on 12-Apr-2021 18:00:12
#1163 ]
AROS Core Developer

@Lou

Quote:
as long as it comes with AROS running natively

Really natively or in m68k through Emu68? :)

jorit2 
Posted on 12-Apr-2021 23:24:18
#1164 ]

@Hyperion-Director

Quote:

Hyperion-Director wrote:
@Rose

Really? Prior to September 30, 2009 that would have been a valid statement.

Having said that, there is also the question of resources both human and financial.

AmigaOS is a 32 bit big Endian oriented operating system, be it 68K or PPC.

Moving to x86, ARM or even RISC-V would be no small feat as these are little endian. It can be done of course - technically.

Unless we move to 64 bit and the whole issue becomes moot but again, this would require a massive investment.

I'm confused. I just checked the page at the Kruispunt bank der Ondernemingen, not that I'm interested in joining Hyperion again, don't worry. But I somewhat wanted to know what Hyperion was all about these days.

There is some gibberish about computer stuff etc but then ...
I noticed these:

VAT 2008 70.210 - Public relations and communication activities
Since January 2, 2014
VAT 2008 70.220 - Business and other management consultancy activities
Since January 2, 2014

I bet the "Business and other management consultancy activities" is a clerical error, (while I'm at it ... you may want to fix the mention of "Ex officio striked off address since May 29, 2017" in your own company ...) so I take it your reappearance here is about the Public relations leg ?

Yours truly,
Evert
(back to real work)

Last edited by jorit2 on 12-Apr-2021 at 11:55 PM.
Last edited by jorit2 on 12-Apr-2021 at 11:31 PM.
Last edited by jorit2 on 12-Apr-2021 at 11:25 PM.

Lou 
Posted on 12-Apr-2021 23:44:38
#1165 ]
Elite Member

@michalsc

Natively.
What's the point of AROS if it isn't native.

aria 
Posted on 13-Apr-2021 4:08:29
#1166 ]

@amigang

Quote:
I'm no fan of Cloanto... they nearly killed my Youtube channel.

As I recall, you had forgotten about YouTube's "Content you submit must not include third-party intellectual property (such as copyrighted material)" rule. Another video creator complained to Cloanto.

Consequences: YouTube standard procedure.

Blame: no one but yourself.

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 13-Apr-2021 5:52:10
#1167 ]
From: AMIGAWORLD.NET WAS ORIGINALLY FOUNDED BY DAVID DOYLE

@Hyperion-Director

Friend Hyperion-Director,

how does it feel to know that the entirety of the audience you speak to, regards you as a filth and has been counting the days before your cursed name can be forever forgotten?

Who are you exactly addressing, when you come forward with explanations and counter-arguments to this and that?

What foul energy still inhabits your hollow carcass of a man, to fuel the unbelievable gall required to engage with the same people you repeatedly raped the dreams of? You Himmler taking selfies at Auschwitz doing the moonwalk.

Was the-company-which-shall-not-be-named to survive this umpteenth legal ordeal, what would you possibly do with it? Having no viable business model. Ridden with debt that you have personally admitted to in clear numbers on this very thread. Bearing a legacy no person sane of mind would want to be associated with.

Just go away, you repulsive human being.
All the backs have been turned on your miserable drooling and barking in the darkness.
Leave the Amiga name alone.

Go.

graff 
Posted on 13-Apr-2021 7:10:08
#1168 ]

@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

...and MEGA_RJ_MICAL enters the thread and turns the tone from negative to just downright mean.
Gotta love it .. or, well, you love it, apparently

amigang 
Posted on 13-Apr-2021 8:38:09
#1169 ]
Elite Member

@aria

Quote:
As I recall, you had forgotten about YouTube's "Content you submit must not include third-party intellectual property (such as copyrighted material)" rule. Another video creator complained to Cloanto. Consequences: YouTube standard procedure. Blame: no one but yourself.

But one of the vids was a 100% Fair use video.
Codified in Section 107 of the Copyright Act, fair use allows persons other than the copyright owner to make certain limited uses of copyrighted material without the copyright owner's permission (17 U.S.C. § 107). It was a 30sec clip re-edited from a 20min vid.

Plus a lot of the Amiga adverts and video would of not been found if it was not for other users uploading them. Do we really want that to happen?

Amiga docs / films have improved a lot thanks to efforts of the Amiga community/ fans finding past adverts / introduction vids.

Finally I know this is no defence, but they where adverts, created to advertise the Amiga, to get people to buy or look into the Amiga, I was only trying to do the same thing. Plus they where created and paid for by a company long gone.

But anyway I do understand the law. I just still feel it’s a shame.

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 13-Apr-2021 8:42:25
#1170 ]
From: AMIGAWORLD.NET WAS ORIGINALLY FOUNDED BY DAVID DOYLE

@graff

Friend graff,

I do nothing else than speaking for the shy, the overly polite, the worried.

I say what everyone wants to say but won't, bent into this pitiful shape by the hammers of "cancel culture", "politically correct", and all the other rainbow coloured drugs we've been fed for the past 25 years or so.

Nanny state governing over a herd of pussies, PUSSIES I say.

So, bask in the glory of previously-unspoken truth, instead of whining over my apparent lack of manners.

Warmest regards,
MEGA

number6 
Posted on 13-Apr-2021 10:29:41
#1171 ]
Elite Member

@thread

115 NOTICE of Intent to File Surreply Motion to Strike

Rose 
Posted on 13-Apr-2021 11:15:01
#1172 ]
Cult Member

@amigang

And every single time you "forget" to mention that you tried to monetize those videos.

And no, "I didn't recieve any money" really isn't any defence, since you understand the law right?

number6 
Posted on 13-Apr-2021 14:56:04
#1173 ]
Elite Member

@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

In a sense this goes back to what Roman and I discussed here:
https://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=8633&start=0

Impediments to "speaking out" are clearly (1)NDA and (2)fear of losing one's "precious"

None of this comes as any surprise to you I'm sure.

A1200 
Posted on 13-Apr-2021 16:07:09
#1174 ]
Elite Member

@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

The reason people are so polite around Ben and his enablers is they don't want to rock the boat and cause any reason for him to cut off the scraps he feeds them from time to time. There are a lot of egomaniacs when it comes to OS4 development - I remember people getting twitchy at the glacial pace of development in 2005 and the Frieden brothers coping a load negativity because a) they had bitten off more than they could chew and b) they put themselves in and amongst the angry mob in these very forums. Regardless of the frustration you would have people warning that the Frieden boys would pack their bags and take their talents elsewhere unless we worship them like demigods. All very sickening to watch - basically people who have no shame and will take any amount of lies and missed deadlines in the slim hope that one day OS4 will be a rival to Mac or PC!

number6 
Posted on 13-Apr-2021 16:15:43
#1175 ]
Elite Member

@A1200

In short... the value of fear was known and was and still -is- weaponized.

Trixie 
Posted on 14-Apr-2021 7:04:51
#1176 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@A1200

Quote:
basically people who have no shame and will take any amount of lies and missed deadlines in the slim hope that one day OS4 will be a rival to Mac or PC!

OS4 users are a small flock: we hang out at one place (Amigans.net) and pretty much know (of) each other. I have been NG-ized since 2009, so I dare say I know the terrain quite well. That being said, I neither see nor remember anyone there expressing "hope that one day OS4 will be a rival to Mac or PC". That is an AmigaWorld forum myth.

The reason why Hermans is tolerated within the OS4 camp is simple: he controls the OS and apparently is not willing to let go of it, whatever his actual motivations are. You bet that we'd much rather see somebody else at the helm.

I'm not sure how your argument about "the Friedens being worshiped as demigods" fits in the equation. It's a decade-old story, now about as relevant as the claim that "Amiga users hate Atari users".

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

simplex 
Posted on 14-Apr-2021 13:50:42
#1177 ]
Cult Member

@Trixie

I was wondering about something related to this; I hope no one minds my asking. There's a bit of a long background.

Two decades ago, I used to frequent amiga.org. The guy who ran the place was openly hostile to Amiga Inc., a going thing at the time. (That's how long ago this was.) I didn't sympathize, since I thought the TAOS route was a cool idea and unlike a lot of people I actually received my $50 T-shirt and coupon. (That's how long ago this was.)

The red vs. blue war was in full swing and as I recall, Wayne, then-owner of amiga.org, was sore that Amiga Inc. had clumsily tried to assert trademark rights over amiga.org, or something to that effect. I think they came to an understanding, but Wayne never let it go. (I might have misunderstood.)

I wasn't necessarily a red camp partisan, but I was a red camp sympathizer, and the red v. blue war was so nasty at amiga.org that, when I discovered amigaworld.net, I made a permanent move. It was a friendly place, relatively speaking. The Frieden brothers would post here on occasion.

Of course, progress on OS4 was slow, and off-topic posts tend to be very, very common here. That wasn't uncommon on most websites then, but I had no particular motivation to stick with Amiga (couldn't afford the hardware) so I paid less attention and have sometimes gone years without visiting. I seem to remember that the Friedens got some really rough treatment in a thread here, or something, and decided no longer to post.

I might be misremembering some details; we're talking about a decade and a half, after all.

With all that background, finally I'm getting around to my question.

Somewhere in that period, amigaworld.net went totally off the rails. There's almost no useful discussion of Amiga-related matters, and most discussion seems to be personality-based -- well, no, to the contrary; it's personality-disorder-based. What used to be friendly to the red camp is now... er, to put it euphemistically, cynical.

You mention amigans.net. Years ago, I acquired the impression that amigans.net was merely an outpost for red camp extremists of the sort who felt that amigaworld.net's occasional despair at Amiga Inc's incompetence was seen as insufficiently obsequious to the red camp. That is, people went to amigans.net in order to get the latest red camp propaganda of the day.

But my recent, occasional visits suggest that it is indeed a pretty sane place, much like what amigaworld.net used to be, or at least what it was intended to be.

a) Does that sound right?

b) If so, what happened?

c) If not, where am I mistaken?

PS I was recently reflecting on the red v. blue wars and remembered Bill Buck, of Thendic / Genesi fame, who sponsored MorphOS and brought the Pegasos hardware. "No Mai without April." So, blue-ish camp. As I recall, he was genuinely unpopular around amigaworld.net; as I say, this site was friendly to the red camp. He's still out there, selling real computer products to real clients. So it seems that he's the only character in that sordid red v. blue affair who turned out to be the real deal, at least in the long run. I guess that abandoning the Amiga scene early on kept him free from the Amiga curse.

Last edited by simplex on 14-Apr-2021 at 01:51 PM.

number6 
Posted on 14-Apr-2021 14:10:41
#1178 ]
Elite Member

@simplex

I think this backs up most of your remembered history:

Hello Everyone - I like my new home!

Years later when disenchanted with Amigaworld, Amigans.net was formed as the new alternative. Exodus from Amiga sites has been a pattern for sure.

simplex 
Posted on 14-Apr-2021 15:36:20
#1179 ]
Cult Member

@number6

Thanks. At least it confirms the amiga.org part.

Post #9 there is ironic:
Quote:
Nice site - and not a sign of a single flamewar!

Trixie 
Posted on 14-Apr-2021 17:09:55
#1180 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@simplex

Re: Amigans.net

Quote:
a) Does that sound right?

I think your observation is quite correct. Most things you see posted on Amigans are matter-of-fact discussions related to OS4 software and hardware. I think people take it more as a place to get help and information rather than flash your writing skills.

Quote:
b) If so, what happened?

Sides have been taken and the dust has settled. The old rhetoric from the red/blue war times, i.e. "my OS continues the Amiga legacy and is better than yours!", makes even less sense than it did back then. There's a lot more respect for difference now that we all know there's nothing to "win". Classic, MorphOS, AROS, OS4... take your pick and enjoy your hobby. Plus, we're older. If you're over fifty and still have the urge to show others how big your willy is, you'll only make a fool of yourself.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle