Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 119 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Rob

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Rob:  3 mins ago
 matthey:  8 mins ago
 VooDoo:  16 mins ago
 Mr_Capehill:  21 mins ago
 outlawal2:  47 mins ago
 kiFla:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 kriz:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 retrofaza:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 vox:  2 hrs 7 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga Inc. Loses U.S. Trademarks
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 Next Page )
PosterThread
number6 
Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademark
Posted on 19-Feb-2019 19:55:53
#841 ]
Elite Member

@matthey

Actually we've had a few private emails posted on AW.
It merely required consent from the author to satisfy staff.

Profile     Report this post  
Jupp3 
Posted on 19-Feb-2019 20:32:39
#842 ]

@bison

Quote:

Yes, I think this is right, and it always seems clunky to me. The leading "obj->" in "obj->DoSomething(obj, args)" is just syntatic sugar to make it look OO when it's really not.

I guess I am the opposite.

In my opinion, the fact that you have to do a very minor thing manually, doesn't make the approach any less "object oriented".

I assume you're one of those people, who claim you can't do object oriented coding in assembly language?

In my opinion, object orientedness is 99% "what / how coder decides to do", and less about any particular language features.

C++ especially makes it extremely easy to avoid any object orientedness if you want, while some other higher level languages try to enforce it on you more.

Nonefornow 
Posted on 19-Feb-2019 20:46:15
#843 ]

@number6

OK. So maybe no laws were broken and there are no privacy concerns.

But I am still unclear as to why Michele (or whoever) would release those e-mails with some attachments to a news organization (amiga-news.de) rather than sending them privately to Jens and say something like - here is the proof that Amiga Forever can distribute P96.

I consider Michele a reasonable guy, but this looks odd.

And again there could be something behind I do not fully understand.

Last edited by Nonefornow on 19-Feb-2019 at 08:47 PM.

Snorg 
Posted on 19-Feb-2019 21:24:32
#844 ]

@matthey

Quote:
Moral of the story: In our politically correct society, it is worse to spread private information than to spread lies.

Yep, just ask Julian Assange.

number6 
Posted on 19-Feb-2019 21:30:11
#845 ]
Elite Member

@Nonefornow

It actually appeared on the AmigaForever site first, long before the story on AN.

Including the link to the email. I have no idea what transpired after that.

bison 
Posted on 19-Feb-2019 21:37:30
#846 ]
Elite Member

@Jupp3

I have started a new thread for this.

cgutjahr 
Posted on 19-Feb-2019 23:02:07
#847 ]
Cult Member

@Nonefornow

Quote:

But I am still unclear as to why Michele (or whoever) would release those e-mails with some attachments to a news organization (amiga-news.de) rather than sending them privately to Jens and say something like - here is the proof that Amiga Forever can distribute P96.

Jens knows those emails - he already stated so in public (on amiga-news.de's comment section) and confirmed it via mail when I asked him for a statement to include in the news item: he says he's already seen them more than a year ago.

But that didn't stop him from claiming Cloanto was distributing pirated copies of P96 apparently, which is probably the reason (just speculating here - I don't know Mike's motivation) that they were released to the public: so everybody can draw his own conclusions.

And as #6 already pointed out: those mails were not released to *us*, they were published on amigaforever.com. Mike simply dropped us a mail notifying us of the update.

Hypex 
Posted on 20-Feb-2019 15:47:34
#848 ]
Elite Member

@bison

You beat me to it.

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 23-Feb-2019 13:57:42
#849 ]
Elite Member

I find it ironic that the Amiga, which was originally designed in America may ultimately end up as IP of the Italians. Why is this ironic? America was named after an Italian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amerigo_Vespucci

https://www.livescience.com/42510-amerigo-vespucci.html

The Italians and the Europeans always seemed to appreciate the Amiga more than us Americans. Most Americans did not buy an Amiga. I bought one as did many others but I may not count since I lived out my early years in Greece even though I was born in America. Most Amigas were sold and appreciated more outside of America.

OlafS25 
Posted on 23-Feb-2019 14:25:31
#850 ]
Elite Member

@DiscreetFX

to precise the germans are to be blamed ;)

a german team worked on new world cards and wrongly thought Vespucci had discovered america (Columbus till end of life thought he was in india). Vespucci (in opposite to Columbus) always knew it was not india but a new continent

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 23-Feb-2019 14:32:36
#851 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

We can't blame anything on the French this time?

:)

OlafS25 
Posted on 23-Feb-2019 14:41:37
#852 ]
Elite Member

@DiscreetFX

no ;)

Nonefornow 
Posted on 23-Feb-2019 18:21:03
#853 ]

@DiscreetFX

Quote:

I find it ironic that the Amiga, which was originally designed in America may ultimately end up as IP of the Italians. Why is this ironic? America was named after an Italian.

But the name Amiga is from the spanish language.

Quote:

The Italians and the Europeans always seemed to appreciate the Amiga more than us Americans.

I would say that, with the exception of the Vic20 and C64, all Commodore computers were generally more popular and successful in Europe than in the USA.

Starting with the PET computers, even the C16 and +4 and GS64, and finishing with Amiga line computers, particularly the A500 and the A1200.

BigD 
Posted on 23-Feb-2019 22:26:44
#854 ]
Elite Member

@Nonefornow

Quote:
I would say that, with the exception of the Vic20 and C64, all Commodore computers were generally more popular and successful in Europe than in the USA.

"No one ever got fired for buying IBM."

A depressing quote from some boring accountant / acting IT manger type who never had any dreams or desires beyond a fat pension pot and a middle aged beer gut

We're ruled by these people and the fact that Brexit scares them probably means that Britain would do well standing on its own feet forging new and ingenious new ways of trading, innovating and forging our way in the world.

Apple will soon enough bury Intel Macs and macOS and basically wheel out iOS laptops. There is no nostalgia in the big wide world out there beyong mini-consoles and yet nostalgia is all the Amiga has left. We could be the last bastion (or relic) of classic GUI computing.

All modern platforms have to offer is Cloud computing, Digital Personal Assistants and phone type control API even on the desktop! A brave new world, adapt or die. Trust the Cloud and surrender to a 1984 future! It is so ironic that the first Mac advert was an anti-1984 / anti-PC propaganda piece. Now thanks to Google and Facebook there is only data, mega corporations and greed and as long as we can quickly check what our 'friends' had for dinner we don't care

The Amiga wasn't as popular in America because the Americans gave into the corporate market forces sooner! Jay Miner understood the data mining and control machinery that computers would become and now we are here

What iPad/iPhone is going to inspire the next Chuck Peddle? The consumer IT sector is grooming people to be hooked on social media, easy storage on the Cloud (despite security risks) and making them always connected zombies while walking our streets. It's Californication

Last edited by BigD on 23-Feb-2019 at 10:31 PM.

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 24-Feb-2019 10:42:07
#855 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

It would have been a better world if more people had bought and learned the Amiga. They still have a chance to jump in or jump back in.

kolla 
Posted on 24-Feb-2019 12:33:16
#856 ]
Elite Member

@DiscreetFX

The most skillful and talented Amiga coders left decades ago because they knew perfectly well that the platform has no future. Many central Windows, Linux and BSD (including macOS and IOS) developers started their coding careers on Amiga.

Kronos 
Posted on 24-Feb-2019 12:33:33
#857 ]
Elite Member

@DiscreetFX

If more people had bought Amigas (and C= had survived) it would have changed nothing how as to how computing is done today.

@BigD

"We're ruled by these people and the fact that Brexit scares them "

Yeah, because those that pushed Brexit are such a forwardthinking risctaking crowd !!!!!

BigD 
Posted on 24-Feb-2019 17:13:40
#858 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

Quote:
Yeah, because those that pushed Brexit are such a forwardthinking risctaking crowd !!!!!

Some are! The media wants everyone to believe Brexit was voted for by xenophobic, morons with no education who want Britain to be for the British. I think most people I know who voted Brexit want an ordered immigration policy (like Australia for instance) based on green cards and work permits for needed skilled labour or seasonal unskilled labour e.g. fruit pickers. This should include more flexibility for immigrants from outside EU countries to be allowed in on just as favourable terms (if not more so) compared to EU citizens (especially Commonwealth citizens). Many businesses want less red tape and hope to thrive under the new British regulations (farmers included).

Sir James Dyson is a case in point, Guardian quote from September 2018:

Quote:
The billionaire inventor who revolutionised the humble vacuum cleaner was among the most prominent supporters of Brexit before the EU referendum. Dyson, 71, has argued the UK would benefit from setting its own trade policy independently from Brussels. Although his company invests heavily in Britain, his company produces its vacuum cleaners, fans and hairdryers in Asia before exporting them. He has had repeated run-ins with the EU over regulation, including courtroom battles with the EU’s executive arm, the European commission.

number6 
Posted on 24-Feb-2019 17:21:41
#859 ]
Elite Member

@bison

Quote:
I have started a new thread for this.

Thanks for the effort.

ne_one 
Posted on 24-Feb-2019 19:13:06
#860 ]
Cult Member

@kolla

Quote:
The most skillful and talented Amiga coders left decades ago because they knew perfectly well that the platform has no future.

The implication being that the platform is forever consigned to the past because there is a lack of available talent?

There is no shortage of capable resources out there and that includes developers and the myriad of other people who are equally important to making a business viable.

The problem has always been the people running the show.

Commodore certainly wasn't the best suitor for the platform. But since that time the succession of incompetents in charge of the Amiga have made them look exceptionally brilliant.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle