Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
22 crawler(s) on-line.
 139 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Hypex

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hypex:  4 mins ago
 AndreasM:  5 mins ago
 kolla:  13 mins ago
 Gunnar:  26 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 saimo:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 OldFart:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 _ThEcRoW:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 20 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  updated Linux distro on Pegasos2?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Geri 
Re: updated Linux distro on Pegasos2?
Posted on 2-May-2017 20:43:30
#21 ]
Elite Member

@Tuxedo

Quote:
Tuxedo wrote:
@Geri

I installed the debian on Pegaos2 and get a weird*and unexplained( error on end of installation(at 95% after installing program&desktop packages) and so finished installation so tought to boot manually and tryed to load the installation cd kernel(previously copyed to hdd) that way:

This behavior sounds familiar to me. But it would help, if you could post the actual error message. Or can you post a screenshot of the error message?

Quote:
boot ide0:5 vmlinuz-chrp.initrd root=/dev/sda12

but still loadnig installation process alsoif from hdd insttead from DVD(and yes the DVD wasnt on my DVD reader)...

ok...I-m really noob on Linux but the kernel in the DVD was only made for installation? cant be used to boot in normal mode?

Not directly the kernel, but the included initrd image (a small root filesystem) in the vmlinuz-chrp.initrd image is only made for installation. The Debian installer would normally generate a new combined kernel/initrd boot image for the installed system at the end of the installation (which may go wrong in your case).

Quote:
Any way to use that kernel to boot Linux and than from inside installed Linux solve the issue?

The install DVD provides a rescue mode to mount the root partition of the installed Debian system and to run a shell in its environment to fix these types of boot problems.

- A1 Linux support -

Profile     Report this post  
Tuxedo 
Posted on 2-May-2017 20:57:23
#22 ]
Elite Member

@Geri

I'll try to find that rescue mode...

For the error sorry donthave any screenshoot

I'll check again all and write here again...

PS there's another problem generated from that installation...I lost 2 partitions on the HDD where I created the linux partitions...
I still have the partition after the linux partitions (SYS:) and the next one(AmigaOS SWAP)but lost the last to patitions...was still here but cant be mounted by the system...any indea on why? I simply created automatically the lionux partition in the largets free space and saved to RDB and all seems ok...

Tuxedo 
Posted on 2-May-2017 22:37:24
#23 ]
Elite Member

@Geri

Ok,
I found the installation devices...for some weird reason the debian installer partitioned two separated areas of my HDD the last 2 partitions...but also the area I reserved in the middle of the HDD...weird...

However I I found a vmlinux in the boot partition but booting that kernel gives me only a weird screen with colored squares like the linux kenrel on the cd that dont have "chrp" in the name...

Any idea why I-ve the wrong kernel installed?

Hypex 
Posted on 3-May-2017 15:40:29
#24 ]
Elite Member

@Tuxedo

Quote:
The problem was that it still boots in install mode...maybe because the vmlinux that I load was some sort of install disk image?

Okay I understand now. You're right infact. It would be that vmlinuz-chrp.initrd file. A combined kernel and ramdisk installer file. The kernel by itself may work. But generating one is an issue. The file to do so may be missing which could be why is fails at 95%.

I don't know how it installs. Are there any old Pegasos Linux CD's still downloadable? PegXMac?

Tuxedo 
Posted on 3-May-2017 20:28:32
#25 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Now I'm retrying to install Linux and than will post the result...

The fail at 95% seems a lot after generating kernel...much some sort of finalizing something but unfortunately the error message was simply saying that the installer stopped to work with any error code..weird!

Raffaele 
Posted on 3-May-2017 20:56:21
#26 ]

@Tuxedo

1) Install elder version of Debian, then update to newest version.

2) you can stop Debian Installer CD running and enter in shell and perform manual installing in Expert mode so you will be prompted of any problem it may occur.

I think you can do it with Ctrl+Q + Alt+F2

(I don't remember sequences of keys to do this. You must check for it)

3) Logs of installation should be present in /var/log/ as far as I remember.

Good luck!

[EDIT]

/var/log/installer/

Info about installer are available here:

https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/i386/ch06s01.html.en

Last edited by Raffaele on 03-May-2017 at 09:00 PM.

Geri 
Posted on 3-May-2017 22:14:58
#27 ]
Elite Member

@Tuxedo

Quote:
Tuxedo wrote:
@Geri

I'll try to find that rescue mode...

You can force the installer in rescue mode by adding "rescue/enable=true" to the boot arguments, if the Debian installer doesn't provide a boot menu on the PegasosII.

Quote:
PS there's another problem generated from that installation...I lost 2 partitions on the HDD where I created the linux partitions...
I still have the partition after the linux partitions (SYS:) and the next one(AmigaOS SWAP)but lost the last to patitions...was still here but cant be mounted by the system...any indea on why? I simply created automatically the lionux partition in the largets free space and saved to RDB and all seems ok...

Not really. However I usually create Linux partitions (using LNX/0 as filesystem identifier) in MediaToolBox so that I only need to select them in the installer's partitioning tool in manual mode. However even then the partitioning tool (partly?) rewrites the RDB. But I never lost existing partitions during a Linux installation - maybe the manual mode makes the difference here.

Quote:
However I I found a vmlinux in the boot partition but booting that kernel gives me only a weird screen with colored squares like the linux kenrel on the cd that dont have "chrp" in the name...

Any idea why I-ve the wrong kernel installed?

The kernel is the right one, but it looks like the installer failed to generate the final boot image that can actually be loaded by the PegasosII's OpenFirmware. Let me look up the command to generate the boot image on the a1k.org forum.

Quote:
Tuxedo wrote:
@Hypex

Now I'm retrying to install Linux and than will post the result...

The fail at 95% seems a lot after generating kernel...much some sort of finalizing something but unfortunately the error message was simply saying that the installer stopped to work with any error code..weird!

That sounds like the installation fails, while it tries to make the system bootable resp. is going to install the bootloader and matches with the missing boot image. So it looks like the error in mkvmlinuz (that I thought is fixed) is still present. But that is something that can be fixed.

BTW: you can switch between the virtual consoles of the installer by pressing CTRL+ LALT + F1...F4. One of this virtual consoles (I think it is the one with F4) should show you a detailed log of the installation. You can also save the installation log on a removable drive by selecting the corresponding item in the installer's main menu. Another console allows you to activate a shell, where you can explore the installed system that is mounted under /target/.

- A1 Linux support -

Tuxedo 
Posted on 8-May-2017 18:06:34
#28 ]
Elite Member

@Geri

- The pegasos forth script have rescue mode included and used it.

- I now created the partitions in MediaToolBox and selected them manually to avoid problems...probably since the partition deleted was an SFS one and Linux amigaFileSystem dont support it "choosed" it as "available" space to use...

- kernel for Pegasos have to be chrp if I understand right...

- The problem on 8.x was that also if it arrives at 95% and maybe I can boot in to fix problems manually I cant since dont have a valid image kernel to boot...
I also look around but dont seems that a downloadable vamlinuz kernel was around...was normal that wasnt availalbe any standard kernel to use?

However......afer big effort I've finally managed to run Wheezy 7.6.0....or better....

I've installed the base system and than since the installation wasnt nice on 7.6 too(dunno if due to DVD-RW I used to burn the installation DVD or what), I used recovery mode sometime and than used apt-get to install the things I need(included Xorg that dont generated a valid xorg.cfg so I've found one standard in a forum that works)...

So finally I've get the system up...but wasnt so reliable dunno if related to not so clean installation or low memory(1GB on lxde) I use Iceweasel midori and another browser that dont remember...
I've sporadic system lock that only can be "solved" with hard reset.

Last thing I tryed to:

apt-get upgrade-system (dont remember correctly now), to try to upgrade the system to 8.x but the command dont produces anything...I also tryed to update sources but without succes...any hint?

Thank you!

Geri 
Posted on 9-May-2017 21:55:16
#29 ]
Elite Member

@Tuxedo

Quote:
Tuxedo wrote:
@Geri

- The pegasos forth script have rescue mode included and used it.

- I now created the partitions in MediaToolBox and selected them manually to avoid problems...probably since the partition deleted was an SFS one and Linux amigaFileSystem dont support it "choosed" it as "available" space to use...

Well, at least the Amiga FFS filesystem is supported by Linux. But I doubt that it has anything to do with the filesystem itself. Maybe there is a problem in how the installer determines the available space for RDB partitioned disks.

Quote:
- kernel for Pegasos have to be chrp if I understand right...

Yes, the Pegasos is a CHRP "compatible" platform.

Quote:
- The problem on 8.x was that also if it arrives at 95% and maybe I can boot in to fix problems manually I cant since dont have a valid image kernel to boot...

Fixing issues like this is the use case for the installer's rescue mode.

Quote:
I also look around but dont seems that a downloadable vamlinuz kernel was around...was normal that wasnt availalbe any standard kernel to use?

There are only complete kernel packages (linux-image-*powerpc.deb) available for download. The vmlinuz image itself wouldn't be useful, as it lacks all the drivers. The Debian kernels are build to be used together with a initramfs/initrd image as a small root filesystem for booting the system until the actual root filesystem is found and can be mounted.

Quote:
However......afer big effort I've finally managed to run Wheezy 7.6.0....or better....

It wouldn't have been that hard to get the Debian 8.x installation fixed.

Quote:
I've installed the base system and than since the installation wasnt nice on 7.6 too(dunno if due to DVD-RW I used to burn the installation DVD or what), I used recovery mode sometime and than used apt-get to install the things I need(included Xorg that dont generated a valid xorg.cfg so I've found one standard in a forum that works)...

It's easier to use "tasksel --new-install install" to install the rest of the system, like e.g. the desktop environment. This will install a complete set of packages, a so called "task".

Quote:
So finally I've get the system up...but wasnt so reliable dunno if related to not so clean installation or low memory(1GB on lxde) I use Iceweasel midori and another browser that dont remember...

Hmm, none of the users over at a1k.org reported system lock-ups. Do they happen on high system load or at any time?

Quote:
Last thing I tryed to:

apt-get upgrade-system (dont remember correctly now), to try to upgrade the system to 8.x but the command dont produces anything...I also tryed to update sources but without succes...any hint?

The correct command for this is "apt-get dist-upgrade". But you need to change the sources.list file for Debian Jessie first, i.e. replace "wheezy" with "jessie" in the file and then run a "apt-get update" to update the repository information, as it is shown here for example:

http://www.debianadmin.com/upgrade-debian-7-wheezy-to-debian-8-jessie.html

You may also have to fix the kernel graphics/X.org configuration for 3D graphics hardware accelerations after upgrading to Debian Jessie, as some of the drivers changed.

Last edited by Geri on 10-May-2017 at 05:32 AM.

- A1 Linux support -

Tuxedo 
Posted on 11-May-2017 19:34:16
#30 ]
Elite Member

@Geri

Quote:
Quote:

Fixing issues like this is the use case for the installer's rescue mode.

I used rescue mode to install needed software and all I need since after installing base system 7.6 gives me a working vmlinuz kernel image, but on 8.x also if arrived at 95% I dont have a vmlinuz image but only a vmlinux image...why? the base system was less than 50% of the installation...

Quote:
Quote:

There are only complete kernel packages (linux-image-*powerpc.deb) available for download. The vmlinuz image itself wouldn't be useful, as it lacks all the drivers. The Debian kernels are build to be used together with a initramfs/initrd image as a small root filesystem for booting the system until the actual root filesystem is found and can be mounted.

I currently boot linux loading the only vmlinuz image and adding root=/dev/sda11 to my boot command...so wrong?

Quote:
Quote:

Still dont have idea on how to have a working vmlinuz kernel on 8.x sorry

Quote:
Quote:

It's easier to use "tasksel --new-install install" to install the rest of the system, like e.g. the desktop environment. This will install a complete set of packages, a so called "task".

Quote:

Hmm, none of the users over at a1k.org reported system lock-ups. Do they happen on high system load or at any time?

I've only 10% system RAM free while using lxde and browser open...swap was 0% used and dont seems to be used also if mounted (kde partition manager tell me taht swap was mounted)...
System locks seems to appear on system load I think...Quote:
Quote:
Last thing I tryed to:

The correct command for this is "apt-get dist-upgrade". But you need to change the sources.list file for Debian Jessie first, i.e. replace "wheezy" with "jessie" in the file and then run a "apt-get update" to update the repository information, as it is shown here for example:

http://www.debianadmin.com/upgrade-debian-7-wheezy-to-debian-8-jessie.html

You may also have to fix the kernel graphics/X.org configuration for 3D graphics hardware accelerations after upgrading to Debian Jessie, as some of the drivers changed.

I'll try that thank you!

Hypex 
Posted on 12-May-2017 15:28:49
#31 ]
Elite Member

@Geri

Quote:
The Debian kernels are build to be used together with a initramfs/initrd image as a small root filesystem for booting the system until the actual root filesystem is found and can be mounted.

This would be like trying to use my install image to boot off a HD volume. Don't know if it could be convinced to do that from just boot args.

Quote:

Not hard for you.

But how is it done?

Quote:

Because of that breakage I experienced? I suppose the Pegasos should be able to run 3d and DRI fine as is?

Tuxedo 
Posted on 12-May-2017 21:31:28
#32 ]
Elite Member

@Geri

ok...
I updated all as descride by you...al seems to go ok till

#apt-get upgrade

only Xorg was now SLOOOWWWW...have you the fix for that? Or seems tha my Radeon900pro wasnt well supported by 8.x so have to change gfx board?

Howeer the prblems ccame on:

#apt-get dist-upgrade

the procedure was stopped by some error that make file system only read so I tryed to fix that with:

fsck -y /dev/sda11

now the system dont boot anymore complaing for some /bash/init not right for the system or something like that...whats the problem?

sorry for boring...

Hypex 
Posted on 13-May-2017 1:31:15
#33 ]
Elite Member

@Tuxedo

If you can get into system, say from CD rescue mode, and mount the HD volume, examine the /var/log/X11/Xorg.0.log file for errors or problems. Think it's called that.

One problem is the kernel used to have firmware included which was removed. Someone thought it was a bug to have private microcode included so they split it into another package. Which means you may need to install firmware-linux-nonfree package.

It's been this way since Debian 6 I read. But I've had no problems until Debian 8 on my A1 where my custom installer was broken after install. But this was also because the Gnome desktop requires 3d and 3d is not supported on R200 cards like my 9200SE. Not that it worked in the first place.

By the sounds of it you have the system updated but I suspect the previous kernel is now too old. I think this would have needed to be updated first. Or at least installed and reachable from a boot menu.

I've found this myself. An older distro incompatible with a newer kernel. But a newer distro incompatible with an older kernel. Chicken and egg. So a newer kernel needs to be installed prior to upgrade. But sometimes the system is too old to install a newer kernel! That's Linux for you!

Geri 
Posted on 14-May-2017 12:26:38
#34 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Hypex wrote:
@Geri

Quote:
The Debian kernels are build to be used together with a initramfs/initrd image as a small root filesystem for booting the system until the actual root filesystem is found and can be mounted.

This would be like trying to use my install image to boot off a HD volume. Don't know if it could be convinced to do that from just boot args.

I guess that depends on the initscripts used by the installer.

Quote:
Quote:

Not hard for you.

Naturally with my help - if I get the information I need to give the correct answer.

Quote:
But how is it done?

The workaround we used over at a1k.org was to reinstall mkvmlinuz and the kernel image and to generate the vmlinuz image manually using the installer's rescue mode.

Quote:
Quote:

Because of that breakage I experienced? I suppose the Pegasos should be able to run 3d and DRI fine as is?

Basically the same problems as on the AmigaOne: driver conflicts and missing firmware.

Last edited by Geri on 14-May-2017 at 12:37 PM.

- A1 Linux support -

Geri 
Posted on 14-May-2017 12:35:47
#35 ]
Elite Member

@Tuxedo

Quote:
Tuxedo wrote:
@Geri

ok...
I updated all as descride by you...al seems to go ok till

#apt-get upgrade

only Xorg was now SLOOOWWWW...have you the fix for that? Or seems tha my Radeon900pro wasnt well supported by 8.x so have to change gfx board?

Make sure that the firmware-linux-nonfree package is installed and then update the initramfs/vmlinuz images using "update-initramfs -k all -u".

Quote:
Howeer the prblems ccame on:

#apt-get dist-upgrade

the procedure was stopped by some error that make file system only read so I tryed to fix that with:

fsck -y /dev/sda11

now the system dont boot anymore complaing for some /bash/init not right for the system or something like that...whats the problem?

sorry for boring...

I guess you mean /sbin/init?

That sounds like the upgrade failed due to file-system corruption before the init system was correctly upgraded!?
Does the machine have any hardware issues? RAM okay? hard disk okay?

- A1 Linux support -

Tuxedo 
Posted on 14-May-2017 20:35:45
#36 ]
Elite Member

@Geri

Hello Geri,
the "apt-get upgrade" was completed ok and I can boot normally in linux, the procedure failed was the apt-get "dist-upgrade" that gives me the error...any way to recover that error?

For the first qestion I dunno since cant acces anymore...

BTW the 8.x have a fix for the gfx problems with Radeon900pro(RV250) driver? without hw accelration was useless to use linux since I only installe it to use some upgraded browser...I need to acces google drive and Yahoo mail from my machine...

Last edited by Tuxedo on 14-May-2017 at 08:37 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 15-May-2017 15:08:24
#37 ]
Elite Member

@Geri

Quote:

Yes I suppose so. And if behaviour can be changed by changing the init. Here's an example init file from the initrd.

#!/bin/sh -e
# used for initramfs
export PATH
. /lib/debian-installer/init-debug
debugshell "just booted"

mount /run
mkdir -p /run/lock
mount /proc
mount /sys
/lib/debian-installer/start-udev

init='/bin/busybox init'
for i in $(cat /proc/cmdline); do
case $i in
init=/init|init=init)
# Avoid endless loop
: ;;
init=*)
init=${i#init=} ;;
noshell)
sed -i '/^tty[23]/s/^/#/' /etc/inittab ;;
esac
done
debugshell "before init"
exec $init

Quote:
The workaround we used over at a1k.org was to reinstall mkvmlinuz and the kernel image and to generate the vmlinuz image manually using the installer's rescue mode.

Might be easier to give a link than recreate the steps here.

Quote:
Basically the same problems as on the AmigaOne: driver conflicts and missing firmware.

Better hardware. Same crap.

I wonder if it would be worth geting a Pegasos for Linux. Since MOS runs on Mac now the value would have gone down. Well until OS4 kept the value up.

Geri 
Posted on 15-May-2017 20:18:27
#38 ]
Elite Member

@Tuxedo

Quote:
Tuxedo wrote:
@Geri

Hello Geri,
the "apt-get upgrade" was completed ok and I can boot normally in linux, the procedure failed was the apt-get "dist-upgrade" that gives me the error...any way to recover that error?

If its really a filesystem corruption and fsck couldn't fix it, then it's probably easier to reformat and reinstall, if the partition doesn't contain any important data yet.

Quote:
BTW the 8.x have a fix for the gfx problems with Radeon900pro(RV250) driver? without hw accelration was useless to use linux since I only installe it to use some upgraded browser...I need to acces google drive and Yahoo mail from my machine...

Yes, make sure that the firmware package is installed, as mentioned above.

- A1 Linux support -

Geri 
Posted on 15-May-2017 20:35:06
#39 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Hypex wrote:
@Geri

Quote:

Yes I suppose so. And if behaviour can be changed by changing the init. Here's an example init file from the initrd.

So the installer uses its own specific init script.

Quote:
Quote:

Might be easier to give a link than recreate the steps here.

True, but the thread over at a1k.org is in German and quite long too.

http://www.a1k.org/forum/showpost.php?p=843635&postcount=141

Quote:
I wonder if it would be worth geting a Pegasos for Linux. Since MOS runs on Mac now the value would have gone down. Well until OS4 kept the value up.

Yeah, I already thought about that too after a PegasosII was temporarily offered to me to fix some Linux problems, but then got lost on shipping. But PegasosII are hard to find nowadays.

Last edited by Geri on 16-May-2017 at 08:58 AM.

- A1 Linux support -

Tuxedo 
Posted on 16-May-2017 22:15:30
#40 ]
Elite Member

@Geri

Ok thank you, asap I'll try again...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle