Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
23 crawler(s) on-line.
 144 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

kolla

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  27 secs ago
 Gunnar:  12 mins ago
 Hypex:  34 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  51 mins ago
 saimo:  1 hr 1 min ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 OldFart:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 _ThEcRoW:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 7 mins ago
 retrofaza:  2 hrs 8 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Emulation
      /  Amikit X
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
AmiKit 
Re: Amikit X
Posted on 20-May-2017 17:15:53
#21 ]

@zzd10h

The magic happens on ALICE laptop only where AmiKit X runs on customised Linux distro with Amiga skin. That's exactly what you can see on that video.

AmiKit X on Windows or Mac is a regular app. It doesn't alter your Windows/Mac installation nor its visual theme, of course.

@Epsilon

Many thanks for your blog and positive feedback. You made more screenshots than me :))
I will share your review on AmiKit Facebook if you don't mind https://www.facebook.com/AmiKit/
Cheers

Profile     Report this post  
BoingBear 
Posted on 21-May-2017 4:33:18
#22 ]

@AmiKit

Quote:

AmiKit wrote:
@Fransexy

Quote:
Then When AmiKit 11 comes out the X wil be free?

Are you sure that you're so young to wait? ;)

@zzd10h
Quote:
Hi,
1) Do you know if it works with touchscreen (MS-Surface) ?

I believe it works, but's it's not optimized for touchscreen.

Quote:
2) is it possible to start Amikit in fullwindow mode at the start of Windows ?

Well, this is difficult with Windows... or Mac.

@all
Linux version might appear too. No promises, though (I am not a Linux user myself). Thank you for your interest!

I don't see why so many members here are waiting for a free version, or complaining that it is a product that requires payment and has no free test version. A lot of work has gone into creating and maintaining all versions of AmiKit, and Jan certainly deserves to earn a small amount of money back for all his hours of work. I do agree that it would be nice to be able to purchase the Linux hosted version that is used on the A.L.I.C.E. laptops, but I suppose that A-Eon has paid someone to create that Linux version, so A-Eon deserves to receive some compensation if they would agree to sell the software version detached from their A.L.I.C.E. laptop hardware. I would be happy to pay both AmiKit and A-Eon for the Linux version, so that I could install it on my i7 laptop, as I believe that all the A.L.I.C.E. laptops are only i3 powered laptops.

zzd10h 
Posted on 23-May-2017 22:07:28
#23 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@AmiKit

As the main goal of this purchase was the "integration" of Windows program on Amikit, i'm a little bit disappointed.

Except the alien look of Windows programs in Amikit workbench :
-when starting a rabbitholled program, Windows titlebar is displayed
-when reclicking on Amikit workbench, the Windows program is completely hidden
(edit : ok, i just read in your documentation that disappearing is normal...)

Is it normal behavior ? I hope that I missed something otherwise it's really not pratical and not transparent.

Thanks

PS : for my Steam problem that didn't started, I had to edit Rabbithole:Steam to write the absolute windows path of the executable.

Last edited by zzd10h on 23-May-2017 at 10:08 PM.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 24-May-2017 0:39:15
#24 ]
Elite Member

@zzd10h

Launching Windows software under a "virtual amiga" through Winuae is very simple.
Theres a tool called Winlaunch thats been freely available for many years (what Amikit uses).
Id probably be disappointed too if I spent money for a package of free tools and it didnt work as expected too :)

wawa 
Posted on 24-May-2017 0:59:54
#25 ]
Elite Member

i really dont get what people have expected of that "rabbit hole" all the time. its obvious that a proper integration of a program launched on host via emulation is rather complicated if possible. instead a simple solution has been chosen, as expected. one can trick himself into believing that he runs linux or windows applications from amiga, but what for?

tommysammy 
Posted on 24-May-2017 4:26:49
#26 ]
Cult Member

@zzd10h

Thanks for the report, rabbit hole didn't work as expected, i will wait for a better version and not buy this version

paolone 
Posted on 24-May-2017 10:49:18
#27 ]

@everyone

Hi. I din't know Winlaunch!
Thank you for pointing me into its direction, I am following a similar (yet more complete, as far as I can see) approach to start Windows and Linux applications from hosted AROS but, since there's no WinUAE to deal with, I guess it won't be useful.

AmiKit 
Posted on 24-May-2017 19:17:19
#28 ]

Regarding the Rabbit Hole feature, it works exactly as advertised: you can launch Windows or Mac apps from AmiKit. You can also open specific files (like documents and videos) with them if double-clicked in AmiKit.

Note that the native Windows or Mac apps are NOT skinned to look like Amiga apps, of course. AmiKit doesn't change your host system in any way. This has been achieved on ALICE laptop only, where AmiKit runs on customised Linux distro.

Razzberry 
Posted on 24-May-2017 19:54:30
#29 ]

@amigasociety
Thanks for the info.

BoingBear 
Posted on 25-May-2017 0:11:22
#30 ]

@AmiKit

Quote:

AmiKit wrote:
Regarding the Rabbit Hole feature, it works exactly as advertised: you can launch Windows or Mac apps from AmiKit. You can also open specific files (like documents and videos) with them if double-clicked in AmiKit.

Note that the native Windows or Mac apps are NOT skinned to look like Amiga apps, of course. AmiKit doesn't change your host system in any way. This has been achieved on ALICE laptop only, where AmiKit runs on customised Linux distro.

As you can see from some of the replies to this thread, the customized look provided from the altered Linux distro used on the A.L.I.C.E. laptop is a very desirable feature for many users. Can you reply to the question, will this customized Linux distro be available for purchase by yourself, or A-Eon any time in the future?

I'm guessing that A-Eon paid some LInux guru(s) to code the customization of some Linux distro for A.L.I.C.E., so they are probably the only people/company who are able to answer this question, unless you plan to duplicate their work, and offer a Linux version of AmiKitX. Since you have admitted you are not a Linux "expert", this task might prove difficult for you to complete.

I for one would gladly pay for such a Linux distro, to install on one or more of my x64 computers and/or laptops. I would also be interested in purchasing a version of AmiKitX for Windows, that performs exactly the same as the customized Linux distro, by modifying the Windows games/programs/applications/tools, to look more Amiga-Like, when started from the AmiKit desktop.

Keep up the great work Jan, it is greatly appreciated.

Edit: @wawa, to answer your question of "Why" people would care to run Windows, or Mac, or Linux programs from any Amiga, or Amiga-Like desktop, it's simple; we want to run an Amiga, or Amiga-Like OS environment, instead of Windows, MacOS, or Linux, but we also want the instant flexibility of being able to run any of the games or other programs/tools that are only available currently on Windows, MacOS, or Linux. And when we are able to run such non-Amiga games and programs/tools from the AmiKit desktop, we would like them to look more Amiga-Like, just as has been accomplished with the customized Linux distro, used on the A.L.I.C.E. laptops.

Last edited by BoingBear on 25-May-2017 at 12:17 AM.

AmiKit 
Posted on 25-May-2017 6:26:48
#31 ]

@BoingBear

For AmiKit X for Linux, if released, my previous reply applies (no host system modifications).

If you want a completely skinned system, try AmiKit 8 Portable. It includes a custom Linux distro called AmiPup, and boots the host computer with USB flash disk. It features Rabbit Hole too.

AmiKit X Portable, if released, will work on similar basis.

Last edited by AmiKit on 25-May-2017 at 07:48 AM.

themamboman 
Posted on 31-Aug-2017 18:59:35
#32 ]

@AmiKit

Does anyone have the link to Amikit 8.5 normal or standalone? I'm not seeing it on the main website, only the AmikitX version.

I did find Amikit 8.1 on the AmigaFuture.de website. Can that be upgraded inside the environment to 8.5 or was that a separate download?

Also, has anyone that used both 8.5 and X tried it and can comment if it is worth the upgrade?

Thanks!
Quote:

AmiKit wrote:
@BoingBear

For AmiKit X for Linux, if released, my previous reply applies (no host system modifications).

If you want a completely skinned system, try AmiKit 8 Portable. It includes a custom Linux distro called AmiPup, and boots the host computer with USB flash disk. It features Rabbit Hole too.

AmiKit X Portable, if released, will work on similar basis.

AmiKit 
Posted on 31-Aug-2017 20:40:39
#33 ]

@themamboman

The free version 8 is available on the website, just scroll down

themamboman 
Posted on 1-Sep-2017 14:45:22
#34 ]

@AmiKit

Quote:

AmiKit wrote:
@themamboman

The free version 8 is available on the website, just scroll down

I must be going blind or using the wrong website:
https://www.amikit.amiga.sk/

I scrolled all the way, and didn't see anything about the older, free version on the webpage. I also searched for:

"old"
"8"
"free"
"download"

and nothing came up.

Beans 
Posted on 1-Sep-2017 16:20:32
#35 ]

@themamboman

You didn't look very hard.
It's at the bottom of the purchase page, here.

https://www.amikit.amiga.sk/store

IRTheBorg 
Posted on 2-Sep-2017 1:01:24
#36 ]

@AmiKit
Hi! I am a rather silent user here at amigaworld.net but I just want to say I am glad AmiKitX came along! I finally got the chance to easily give you some money, and I also bought AmigaForever ( 3 versions of it including 2017) the only real Amiga I got to use was the A1200 (which I got rid of far to quickly) so I am happy you folks are here to fill the void! I have AmiKit8 (which I think is more stable than X) I must say that I like the icons in X better. Keep up the great work,and you can expect another donation in the future

-Larry

AmiKit 
Posted on 2-Sep-2017 7:43:43
#37 ]

@IRTheBorg

Thanks for breaking the silence, Larry :) And for your kind words.

Regarding the stability, I believe X works better as countless hours went into its optimization. Anyway, you can always use MorpheuZ to either revert to older v8 scheme (Visual Themes > Desktop Elements > Old) or disable some patches in Startup Control. Or report bug at www.forum.amiga.sk so it can be fixed in next live update.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle