Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
23 crawler(s) on-line.
 66 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  6 mins ago
 Dragster:  8 mins ago
 Karlos:  15 mins ago
 bhabbott:  51 mins ago
 amig_os:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 mbrantley:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 michalsc:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 Tpod:  2 hrs 18 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  New Member Introductions
      /  Hi
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
severs 
Hi
Posted on 28-May-2017 3:13:55
#1 ]

I've been kind of off and on with the Amiga... have an A500 that I bought way back when they were new, then caught the Amiga bug a few years back and bought several broken A3000's off Ebay. One actually works! I check in from time to time and saw that the latest hardware was available for $2k USD, and thought it would be a great time to get back into it. Then the site I was going to order from drops the X5000! So, I'm just waiting to see what will happen, I guess. Anybody want some broke A3000s for free, just come and pick em up. Oh, and glad to be here.

Last edited by severs on 28-May-2017 at 03:15 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
QuikSanz 
Re: Hi
Posted on 28-May-2017 3:20:18
#2 ]

@severs,
Welcome to AW. Don't be so fast to give up that classic hardware. There are things that can make it more fun now.
I will let others opine.

sundown 
Posted on 28-May-2017 3:58:47
#3 ]
Elite Member

@severs

Welcome to AW, guessing you mean Amiga On The Lake, I'm hoping that situation gets cleared up.

Rob 
Posted on 28-May-2017 3:59:34
#4 ]
Elite Member

@severs

Keep the working A3000. Eventually, could be a few years yet, there should be a Vampire card available to plug into the CPU slot.

Kronos 
Posted on 28-May-2017 10:45:03
#5 ]
Elite Member

@severs

Broken A3000s can still be worth a fortune.

pavlor 
Posted on 28-May-2017 10:58:32
#6 ]
Elite Member

@severs

Welcome!

iggy 
Posted on 28-May-2017 11:45:37
#7 ]

@severs

"Some" broken A3000? I only have to drive from Delaware to Oklahoma?
Hmm, be there shortly.

Just kidding, but the previous posters are right, don't trash the A3000s.
Lots of us would pay for them, even broken.

They can probably be fixed, and if not, there is a wealth of useful parts in them.

And welcome back.

BTW - I'm not real happy about losing the only US dealer for the X5000 either, but at this point I'm still thinking I'll buy one.

So, why don't you try some form of emulation (UAE, FS-UAE, or an integrated package like Amiga Forever) and remember what you've missed.
Then look for some working legacy hardware (or start trying to fix up an A3000).

Once you're started, its hard to stop, sort of an addiction.
So like the voices in Sam Raimi's Evil Dead movies say, "Join Us".

Last edited by iggy on 28-May-2017 at 11:46 AM.

severs 
Posted on 29-May-2017 5:16:30
#8 ]

I should clarify that the A3000's were in various stages of completeness already, and I just took the best parts of them to make my one working one. But it had a fuzzy battery to start with, so who knows how long it will survive. I did just now fire it up and it's still working fine. Has a ludicrous amount of fan noise. What's the best way to quiet that down? I think I was discouraged by that, and that I could never get the Ethernet card or the accelerator card I bought for it to work. I think it needed a special ram chip in the first socket or something... Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome... those Vampire cards definitely look interesting.

Last edited by severs on 29-May-2017 at 05:19 AM.

sundown 
Posted on 29-May-2017 5:34:53
#9 ]
Elite Member

@severs

Quote:
Has a ludicrous amount of fan noise. What's the best way to quiet that down? I

Just replace them, there should be enough info on them to order replacements or get a different brand, the only requirment is the voltage & most are 12V DC.

severs 
Posted on 29-May-2017 5:45:05
#10 ]

@sundown

Doh! Yes that makes sense. I like the Nexus fans, will see if they have the right sizes... thanks

Rob 
Posted on 29-May-2017 5:57:29
#11 ]
Elite Member

@severs

Quote:
But it had a fuzzy battery to start with, so who knows how long it will survive.

Was the corrosion just on the battery terminals or had it made it onto the PCB. If it's working fine at the moment then make sure you completely get rid of all the acid and it should probably be fine.

If your A500 is an A500+ then open that up too since they had a battery too. Should have said get a Vampire 500 but I think I missed that you had an A500 before I made my previous post.

Do you still have the ethernet and accelerator card for the A3000? You should be able to finder a buyer for them.

klx300r 
Posted on 29-May-2017 6:05:15
#12 ]
Elite Member

@severs

keep the A3000 if you can fix it up as and get an X5000 too

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

severs 
Posted on 29-May-2017 6:35:33
#13 ]

@Rob

Quote:

Rob wrote:
@severs

Quote:
But it had a fuzzy battery to start with, so who knows how long it will survive.

Was the corrosion just on the battery terminals or had it made it onto the PCB. If it's working fine at the moment then make sure you completely get rid of all the acid and it should probably be fine.

If your A500 is an A500+ then open that up too since they had a battery too. Should have said get a Vampire 500 but I think I missed that you had an A500 before I made my previous post.

Do you still have the ethernet and accelerator card for the A3000? You should be able to finder a buyer for them.

No, it had eaten away part of the PCB. I cleaned it up as best I could, but there's still a pothole where it used to be. That was 7 years ago, though, and still working, so maybe it's clean. I think I'm going to take another shot at getting the accel and network card going (I think they are WarpEngine and Xsurf). And replace the fans! My A500 is not a +, I think I will keep it stock.

RobertJDohnert 
Posted on 29-May-2017 6:47:41
#14 ]

@severs

You can still buy Amiga X5000's from AmigaKit. Mattew is a good guy and Im sure he can help you with that. Also take a look at the Vampire Boards that they just announced they will be reselling. As the others have said dont be too quick to get rid of that classic hardware.

Rob 
Posted on 29-May-2017 6:51:15
#15 ]
Elite Member

@severs

If the battery was removed 7 years ago the and it's still working then it should be fine. You should be able to fill the hole with coin cell battery holder my brother fitted one salvaged from PC on out A500+ but unfortunately he didn't do a good job of cleaning the acid spill up and the A500 doesn't work now.

The Warp Engine is supposed to be decent card. Hope you can get it running. There's info on the jumper settings and downloads of the manual available at Amiga Resource.

http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/warpengine

Rob 
Posted on 29-May-2017 6:54:05
#16 ]
Elite Member

@RobertJDohnert

I hope that AOTL and Amigakit are resolving their differences behind the scenes.

RobertJDohnert 
Posted on 29-May-2017 6:59:33
#17 ]

@Rob

Im sure they will

severs 
Posted on 28-Apr-2018 6:29:50
#18 ]

Well, are necrobumps allowed? :)

Was messing with my A3000D again, the accelerator card was working (it's a PPS Mercury after all, not Warp engine). But, suddenly my HD is not recognized, getting "DH0 is not a DOS device" or something. It's an old Western D SCSI. I don't really want to take a chance on another old SCSI drive, so am looking at options. It seems the popular one is SCSI2SD... but I kind of like the gurgle of a hard drive, at least in my Amiga. Lets me know something is happening.

I've been looking at the Acard SCSI adapters... are they really $500 for SATA? $250 for IDE? Some of what I've read says you could get them for ~100. What happened there? Mainly I'd like to get at least 5mb/sec, and would like to stick with the motherboard SCSI controller, just to keep it simple. Just wondering if I need to wait out a shortage or something, I hate to spend $500 for 5mb/sec :)

pavlor 
Posted on 28-Apr-2018 8:54:34
#19 ]
Elite Member

@severs

Thread necromancy is a dark art practicized by many fellow AW members. However, one year old thread is still too fresh, so don´t worry about any taint.

As of your question, if you don´t find your answer there, you may ask people at the English Amiga Board, which has far more "classic" oriented regulars than AW.

Hypex 
Posted on 28-Apr-2018 16:55:10
#20 ]
Elite Member

@severs

First, welcome back. Second, do you have heads?

I don't know how available they are, but I have an 80GB SCSI3 drive in my A4000. At least that's what I think it is. I have a SCS3 to SCSI2 adaptor. If you can source a drive like that and the adaptor is cheap it might be an option. Okay it won't be new, but it shouldn't be too old. And it will have that SCSI gurgle.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle