Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 41 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

pixie

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  1 min ago
 OneTimer1:  10 mins ago
 Karlos:  11 mins ago
 matthey:  54 mins ago
 outlawal2:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs ago
 Luc:  3 hrs 16 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 38 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Gaming
      /  OpenBOR - The 2D Side Scrolling Engine Ported to Classic Amiga !
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
matthey 
Re: OpenBOR - The 2D Side Scrolling Engine Ported to Classic Amiga !
Posted on 2-Feb-2019 15:06:00
#21 ]
Elite Member

@BigD
I don't have any experience with Open BOR. I helped beta test Out Run and Lantus fixed the little endian (P96 PC modes) gfx color problems. He may have newer beta versions available for OpenBOR as well. It is helpful to show interest as developers often do not receive enough feedback for motivation and to be aware of bugs. The EAB OpenBOR thread would be a good place to ask questions as others can benefit from answers or may be able to answer them. Are you on EAB as well?

Profile     Report this post  
BigD 
Posted on 2-Feb-2019 21:39:08
#22 ]
Elite Member

@matthey

I guess some of the more complicated BOR Mods with higher resolutions and more Ram demands are not supported on Amiga OpenBOR. Maybe it will be expanded to support higher resolutions and 2-player in the future as Vampire boards become more popular? I've got enough to play in the meantime.

It was fun experimenting with it and it has obviously been well coded with love for the Amiga platform. The Golden Axe: Curse of Death Adder is a step up from ANY Golden Axe I've ever played. I think from what I've read it is using Golden Axe 3 inspiration but Knight of the Round is my only point of reference and it seems up there with that (other than the horse riding in that game). Shame the TMNT demo isn't longer, the TMNT arcade game is the stuff of legend!

Last edited by BigD on 02-Feb-2019 at 09:56 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 02-Feb-2019 at 09:41 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 3-Feb-2019 19:20:33
#23 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

Okay could do with some help remapping the green button (cd32 pad) to kick as the in game control mapping doesn't work (only recognises d-pad directions for selections).

Also, how do you save game progress?

BigD 
Posted on 4-Feb-2019 16:41:00
#24 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

Did anyone know that BOR was ported to the Atari Falcon 030?!!! Amazing achievement that was programmed in 030 assembly and with a machine with only 4 MB of RAM! The Falcon was an amazing machine but should have appeared earlier instead of all that STE, Mega ST, TT marketing madness at Atari! The A1200 trounced it because the A1200 was simply a next generation A500 (well apart from the Paula hence the sound remaining the same, no HD floppy and no chunky pixel mode ). C= got away with the CPU decision due to the trap door allowing accelerators but the Paula and Chunky Pixel decision gave a free pass to the PC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLPOMrAmiPs

Last edited by BigD on 04-Feb-2019 at 04:43 PM.

pavlor 
Posted on 4-Feb-2019 17:00:06
#25 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Well, most of classic arcade Beat 'em ups from the early 1990s had only 68000 as a main CPU, so fine-tuned assembly optimized port may be possible. Still great work to put this all in 4 MB RAM.

BigD 
Posted on 4-Feb-2019 17:19:02
#26 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Yeah, I thought so! I'd love a Falcon if there was more software like this. It was such a tight hardware package a bit like the A500 on release. The PS3 also was amazing hardware for the price. Hardware has become less and less of a selling point and we are now happy with flashy iOS with underpowered CPU/GPU internals as long as it has a flashy screen and Apple logo

I hate the dumbing down in quality of information technology on the altar of convenience;

First MP3 file formats were unveiled as substandard compared to MD/CDs and then streaming gave us worse than Blu-Ray video quality, then security risks from storing personal video and photos on the Cloud caused celebrity blushes (and revealed how easily our accounts can be hacked) and now actual hardware is becoming unimportant because we'll leave the grunt work to servers hundreds of miles away!

'Progress' is over-rated in IT.

Also software subscription models mean home users will be ripped off in the future (it does make sense for small business) when we'll be charged like our utliities for access to computer programs or 'apps'

Using the Mac and Apple as the best example: THEY USED TO CREATE AMAZING HARDWARE! Now they tinker and control with substandard spec bling bling aluminium and glass (other than the iMac Pro which they have struggled to support or to provide any fixes or service for in the first year - see Linus Tech Tips)!

NOW: The rational between phasing out OpenCL support on the Mac seems to be that they'd rather 'bang the METAL' (pun intended) than support an API that makes sense economically to support the Mac platform and one the game programmers are already familiar with in OpenCL / GL.

The 'Think Different' slogan has been corrupted to become 'Think Control'!

Example:
They create a proprietary graphics API that can compete with DirectX by locking developers into a tight controlled ecosystem where Apple dictate how you should develop the 'beautiful' platform without showing how under-powered it is compared to Windows PCs!!

Apple are now officially the evil empire and the phasing out of OpenCL / GL and 32-bit app support signals the Mac becoming 100% a consumer grade device for hipsters and creatives who couldn't 'think different' if they tried!

They expect us to follow the herd down to the Apple store and get the next 'Starbucks' flimsy 'slither of a wedge' machine with less aluminium than last year but less features, no support for the killer apps of yesteryear and soon a CPU that isn't even compatible with Windows (my prediction as they phase out x86 and introduce an Apple 'A-chip' variety CPU in their laptops at least).

Once they destroy the only 'killer feature' they have left in' BOOT CAMP' by removing the x86-64 CPU (which covers a multitude of evils by allowing users boot Windows to play Elite Dangerous, get proper performance from proper faster optimized drivers and escape the encroaching walled garden briefly then the Mac will just be a tethered iOS device IMHO.

Sadly, the Mac Pro is likely to be a false dawn and with it's failure the end of another computer platform alternative. Only Linux will remain IMHO. Come on AmigaOS - UP YOUR GAME!

I think I need a game of OpenBOR on my 'miggy to vent all of this!! But how do I map the green CD32 Pad button for 'KICK'

The death of the Mac as anything resembling a Game Platform!

Last edited by BigD on 04-Feb-2019 at 08:46 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 04-Feb-2019 at 05:46 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 04-Feb-2019 at 05:42 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 04-Feb-2019 at 05:40 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle