Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
30 crawler(s) on-line.
 149 guest(s) on-line.
 3 member(s) on-line.

amigakit,  OldFart,  saimo

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 saimo:  39 secs ago
 amigakit:  2 mins ago
 OldFart:  2 mins ago
 _ThEcRoW:  21 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  49 mins ago
 retrofaza:  49 mins ago
 Rob:  50 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 Kremlar:  1 hr 34 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Gaming
      /  Guardian from Acid Software gets a pseudo sequel from Nintendo!
Register To Post

PosterThread
BigD 
Guardian from Acid Software gets a pseudo sequel from Nintendo!
Posted on 27-Jun-2017 15:38:52
#1 ]
Elite Member

An unreleased Guardian like game known as 'Star Fox 2' will ship as part of Nintendos SNES Classic console to be released in September this year.

The original Starfox (or Starwing as we were asked to call it) was a limited 'on the rails' shooter that failed to match the Amiga classic from Acid Software which scrapped the gibbering furry critters for classic full 3D 'Defender' type gameplay perfectly mapped to the CD32 joypad (even on the A1200 version)!

Starfox 2 promises more freedom and ideas that inspired Star Fox Zero, the distasterous attempt to refresh the franchise on the Wii U. If you missed out on the US and Japanese fad that was 'Nintendo' because we in blighty were all too busy playing with our Amigas and SEGA products then it might be worth checking out.

Plus this time round Nintendo aren't trying to palm us off with super slow 50Hz PAL versions with slow graphics and ugly black borders! Though they are trying to fleece us with a RRP of £79.99 when the US price is $79.99!!!

Same old money grabbing Nintendo hating on Europe

Profile     Report this post  
BigD 
Re: Guardian from Acid Software gets a pseudo sequel from Nintendo!
Posted on 27-Jun-2017 15:51:26
#2 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

Sorry, couldn't resist taking an Amigan spun view of this news. I'm so sick of American revisionist news stating that Nintendo were world beaters and innovators when it simply wasn't the case in the UK and Europe in general!

What would you rather play?

GUARDIAN - Defender in 3D for AGA Amigas!

Star Fox / Starwing - Pushed the SNES to the limit and beyond with an extra FX chip but still not as good as Guardian just as SNES Doom didn't have 2-player like Alien Breed 3D did!

£79.00 or $79.99 for something you might never have needed! The Street Fighter 2 port was pretty sweet though I'll admit

Last edited by BigD on 27-Jun-2017 at 03:55 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 27-Jun-2017 15:57:03
#3 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

They almost look the same. 3d graphic building blocks overlayed on scrolling backgrounds. Which would I prefer? The one with the bigger screen. That could be the Amiga.

WolfpackN64 
Posted on 27-Jun-2017 16:04:13
#4 ]

@BigD

It's just a sequel to Star Fox. And many people have fond memories of Star Fox (the outcry over Star Fox Zero was very understandable, Nintendo got lazy with the franchise). The original Star Fox was very good mechanically.

Star Fox 2 is a very enticing game for the SNES Classic and Nintendo knows it.

BigD 
Posted on 27-Jun-2017 16:09:45
#5 ]
Elite Member

@WolfpackN64

Quote:
The original Star Fox was very good mechanically.

It just didn't give you full 3D freedom like Guardian did is all. Guardian is my favourite High Score chasing Amiga game. Quite addictive in a just one more go kinda way. You get a sense of synergy with the craft that I've only experience in one other Amiga games that being the amazing Speedball 2 (fluid perfection). The 180 flip move was perfectly implemented on the CD32 pad as were all the controls really. I prefer these free moving sort of arcade games like Guardian, Super Stardust and more recently Resogun.

WolfpackN64 
Posted on 27-Jun-2017 16:11:24
#6 ]

@BigD

I understand, but being on rails is not all bad. Star Fox is very focused and the fact it ran on a SNES at all was a miracle.

tlosm 
Posted on 27-Jun-2017 18:01:55
#7 ]
Elite Member

@WolfpackN64

nope snes was really powerful machine at that time ... plus the cartridge of starfox have an extra fpu chip inside for manage the poligons

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

Cheese 
Posted on 27-Jun-2017 18:19:17
#8 ]

@BigD

Quote:
The original Starfox (or Starwing as we were asked to call it) was a limited 'on the rails' shooter that failed to match the Amiga classic from Acid Software

Bit hard to match it, since Guardian was released quite a bit later...

"Delving into the past can be a dangerous exercise." -hyperionmp

"I've been a supporter of "REACTION" GUI because is an Amiga OS thing." -Snuffy

"I personally prefer a vision of do'ers and makers rather than

WolfpackN64 
Posted on 27-Jun-2017 18:19:28
#9 ]

@tlosm

I know the SNES was really powerful, but real 3D polygon graphics was a stretch for the machine. Of course, Nintendo made handsome use of the FX chip inside the cartridge. Quite an ingenious piece of engineering to bolster the capabilities of a console with an on-cartridge processor.

Rob 
Posted on 27-Jun-2017 20:07:20
#10 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
I'm so sick of American revisionist news stating that Nintendo were world beaters and innovators when it simply wasn't the case in the UK and Europe in general!

Guardian was developed in New Zealand.

BigD 
Posted on 27-Jun-2017 20:19:59
#11 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

I was talking about the media not the developers! Anyone would think from America commentators / journalists that the early 80s video game crash destroyed the computer game industry in Europe too but that simply wasn't the case. 80s home computers in Europe kept the industry going and British ports of coin-ops were normally far better than American coded ones. U.S. Gold titles normally failed to match Ocean for instance (although Gauntlet 2 for the Atari ST rocked).

saimon69 
Posted on 28-Jun-2017 4:04:17
#12 ]

@BigD

I like to remind that StarFox - despite being conceived by Nintendo EAD- was programmed bt Argonaut, the same Argonaut of Starglider 1 and 2 memory and pity the same that did screw up badly with After Burner... - to say that if you want to compare "au pair" with older titles, you should compare with Starglider rather than with Guardian

Last edited by saimon69 on 28-Jun-2017 at 04:04 AM.

BigD 
Posted on 28-Jun-2017 11:05:40
#13 ]
Elite Member

@saimon69

Now Star Fighter 3000 was a proper competitor on the Acorn RISC OS platform, a real killer app but Acorn were doomed other than the CPU division Arm (StrongArm was the CPU back then) now owned by a Japanese consortium

I will compare it with Guardian because they were similar concepts and Starglider 1& 2 were primitive on the Amiga compared to Guardian & Star Fox.

Starfighter 3000

outrun1978 
Posted on 28-Jun-2017 11:35:14
#14 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

I won't be bothering with the new Mini Snes rip off not when my existing X5000 machine is doing quite a sterling job in emulating graphic heavy/intensive games such as Starfox at a full 60 fps with the rather brilliant Snes9X emulator and I can play substantially more than the proposed 21 games being released for it.

BigD 
Posted on 28-Jun-2017 12:18:46
#15 ]
Elite Member

@outrun1978

Good to know how well it runs NES games are handled admirably on a 060 and Atari ST games on the Mac so I'm covered too. Just need something to run Elite Dangerous! At least a PS4 Pro would be a reasonably cheap option since the game was released on the Playstation this week! Cheaper than a new underspecced Mac

Turrican3 
Posted on 28-Jun-2017 12:20:51
#16 ]

@outrun1978

Quote:
I won't be bothering with the new Mini Snes rip off not when my existing X5000 machine is doing quite a sterling job in emulating graphic heavy/intensive games such as Starfox at a full 60 fps with the rather brilliant Snes9X emulator

Honestly that sounds an apples to oranges comparison...

SNES Classic Mini serves a completely different audience, an extremely limited percentage of which would ever bother fiddling with an emulator even on hardware far cheaper than a X5000.

Lou 
Posted on 28-Jun-2017 12:53:36
#17 ]
Elite Member

The SNES used a 16 bit version of the 6502 @ 3.87Mhz ... A1200 was 14Mhz 32bit chip...so I hope you'll pardon the use of the FX chip to help with 3D.

Gunnar has done something similar by adding AMMX to the Apollo...just like Intel added MMX and PPC adding Altivec/SIMD... /yawn

outrun1978 
Posted on 28-Jun-2017 15:57:37
#18 ]
Cult Member

@Turrican3

Quote:
Honestly that sounds an apples to oranges comparison... SNES Classic Mini serves a completely different audience, an extremely limited percentage of which would ever bother fiddling with an emulator even on hardware far cheaper than a X5000.

There isn't much to fiddle with configuring the Snes9X emulator just place the roms in the folder and away you go. It will run a lot more games than this overpriced cash in too.....
Besides having one machine that can emulate quite a few classic systems is a bonus as opposed to having no room for 30 different boxes.

@Big D

Snes 9X works very well on the X5000, on a Sam 460 you have to do a few frameskips on games like starfox, but for most other SNES games no frameskip is required.

Turrican3 
Posted on 1-Jul-2017 15:25:45
#19 ]

@outrun1978

I think you're seriously overestimating the average user.

The moment a certain hardware requires more effort than, well, turning it on and showing a user-friendly menu to choose a game is the moment you lose *a ton* of potential purchases.

This, to me, is somewhat similar to the comparisons I hear on an almost daily basis between console and PC aficionados: yes, the PC has undergone many major ease-of-use upgrades compared to when I started using them in the 90s with MS-DOS, but they are still actively rejected by lots of people because console gaming is still easier for the average user (despite, ironically, having run the opposite path: nowadays there's basically no plug'n'play anymore, you have to deal with firmware updates, patches, DLCs, etc.)

BigD 
Posted on 1-Jul-2017 22:58:13
#20 ]
Elite Member

@Turrican3

Quote:
nowadays there's basically no plug'n'play anymore, you have to deal with firmware updates, patches, DLCs, etc.)

That is why the PS2 will never be beaten as the best all in one Games Console / DVD player that just plays games straight off the disc no messing IMHO.

I bought DuckTails Remastered yesterday for the PS3 and the version 1.01 patch was massive for a platform game that was itself simply a remaster of a 1989 game! It took a further 10 minutes to download and install the patch after the initial install was done and to get it back to the point of being able to play. I left my first game until this morning as all excitment had gone by that point

I remeber the Christmas that I got Alien Isolation for the PS3 I preinstalled it ahead of time but if I hadn't I wouldn't have been able to play it on Christmas day because PSN suffered a hack attack that year and it was down all day!

Last edited by BigD on 01-Jul-2017 at 10:59 PM.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle