Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 124 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

amigakit,  Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  23 secs ago
 amigakit:  1 min ago
 vox:  26 mins ago
 zipper:  30 mins ago
 kolla:  37 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  50 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 6 mins ago
 Frank:  2 hrs 51 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Emulation
      /  Amiga emulation on Raspberry Pi out performs all my Amiga's
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
bison 
Re: Amiga emulation on Raspberry Pi out performs all my Amiga's
Posted on 25-Aug-2017 16:50:21
#21 ]
Elite Member

@Signal

Quote:
I have not been this excited/interested in MIDI since Music-X.

I installed Rosegarden and it picked up that Timidity was already on the system and uses that for an on-board synth. No configuring necessary. Of course Timidity allows the use of either GUS patches or SoundFonts and Rosegarden uses it seamlessly.

Then I dug out my Roland PMA-5 and Edirol UM-1SX USB to MIDI adaptor, plugged in, and Rosegarden also recognized that right away. Much better sound.

Just be sure to use a powered USB hub as the RPi3 has limited power.

It sure feels like Amiga.

It's really strange that you should mention MIDI out of the blue, because I've been doing a lot of that too. I'm running LMMS and Hydrogen on a Linux laptop, but I hope to get this working on a Pi3. I've also been using abc2midi and creating GM files with ABC music notion. These work well on my laptop, but I've had a lot of trouble playing them on my Yamaha MO6 -- this requires doing a midi reset and bank select, which led me into studying the MIDI protocol and writing a C program to do this, which led to writing another C program to generate GM files, which is turning into a library and API. I spent about two weeks down this rabbit hole, and hope to get back to it when I get caught up on other things.

Useful links that I found:

http://tedfelix.com/linux/linux-midi.html

http://www.somascape.org/midi/tech/mfile.html

http://midi.teragonaudio.com/

I first ran across the third one about 15 years ago -- I'm glad that someone has mirrored it.

Profile     Report this post  
JKD 
Posted on 26-Aug-2017 1:58:34
#22 ]

@Signman

Quote:

Signman wrote:
@klx300r

you guys might want to read this man's take on emulation. He may go with Tinker Board.

https://jonlennartaasenden.wordpress.com/tag/amibian/

I want that so hard! \m/

Last edited by JKD on 26-Aug-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Last edited by JKD on 26-Aug-2017 at 03:19 PM.

Raffaele 
Posted on 26-Aug-2017 18:14:10
#23 ]

@clusteruk

Amiga Emulation on Raspberry Pi out performs all my Amigas

Quote:

clusteruk wrote:
Hi All

I have just posted this video because I truly believe that new Amiga fans that are coming along need a cheap way to dip there toes and whilst we all know about the Raspberry Pi usually this is for games. This video is to show it can do so much more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HZXM6cLVUg

Oh, and yes it is faster than my 68060/60mhz A2000 as well and seems faster than Vampire too except FPU.

Don't lynch me

Steve

According to this Video I am linking AEROS runs better on ODROID than on Raspberry Pi as long as ODROID sports MALI 450 graphic chip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM7iRiozvaw

So then we must assume that the best candidate to run Amiga emulation is not crappy underpowered RasPi but its Korean clone ODROID!

IridiumFX 
Posted on 26-Aug-2017 20:50:33
#24 ]

@Raffaele

point is ... the Mali is closed source. Should any crazy genius decide to static compile UAE for the board, boot directly to UAE and redirect the graphics calls to the GPU, that would be impossible.
As far as I know, VBCC (yes, the Amiga OS compatible C compiler) also targets the VC4 and there's even a still ongoing effort to create a blobless firmware.

Should I be more clear? it is theoretically possible to transpile the Amiga ROM and HW via a thin HAL layer on a Raspberry, but not on an ODroid. It will never happen, of course, but open doors are better than closed ones

PS:
the tinker board is Cortex A17 powered ... 32 bit only ... not really future proof. I'd stick with the rasp

Raffaele 
Posted on 27-Aug-2017 1:25:57
#25 ]

@IridiumFX

Mali GPU is closed source, so how Android and Linux distros included to ODROID do it work? Sure there are datasheets, manuals, and open source codes there somewhere to make these distro available...

Aeros is AROS distro and work on ODROID so then we can count on AROS developers for another useful Amiga porting.

Don't you think so?

Last edited by Raffaele on 27-Aug-2017 at 01:28 AM.

Raffaele 
Posted on 27-Aug-2017 1:30:36
#26 ]

@IridiumFX

Plus there are other more performant Raspberry clones, some based on Intel chips, such as OrangePi, UDOO and LattePanda.

XDelusion 
Posted on 27-Aug-2017 8:20:03
#27 ]

@XDelusion

In regards to a tutorial for making your Amiga Pi beautiful, I have followed this and got Picasso to work.

How to Build an Amiga Laptop

Last edited by XDelusion on 27-Aug-2017 at 08:21 AM.

Beans 
Posted on 27-Aug-2017 12:25:52
#28 ]

@Raffaele

Quote:
Don't you think so?

No. Mali, as stated before, is closed sourced.
One of the reasons that the Raspberry Pi incorporates the gpu it has is that it is documented.

Mali Android and Linux drivers are provided by the vendor.

They are NOT portable to Amiga related OS' as the source is not available.

So, no, I don't think so.

And your list of Raspberry 'clones'?
Some that you've mentioned use proprietary drivers.
And, the LattePanda...it is an X86 based system designed for Windows10, hardly an RPi clone.

IridiumFX 
Posted on 27-Aug-2017 13:57:23
#29 ]

@Raffaele

I am afraid, no. Completely wrong. Spec docs are under NDA at ARM and for integrators only. That means, even if you register as developer at ARM website (as I am), all you get is GL ES optimization guides.

Under Linux you get blobs binding to a specific X11 version. Under Android, you get blobs binding to android graphics layer. You can't easily reverse engineer them because you'd have to figure our hardware memory map, register mapping and reimplement an ELF set of frameworks counting for multiple megabytes of object code.

Are there faster single board computers than the rasp? Yes. Plenty. Does it matter? No.
AROS already has too many issues because of blobs, even on a quasi-open platform like x64.

The paradox? An AMD+Radeon combo is currently the only fully documented platform. Full Intel being a close second and Raspberry being a not too distant fourth.
The third? If you give away with graphics acceleration or you don't mind verilog, there's the Adapteva Parallella

Edit: noticed Beans already gave an accurate response. Thumbs up.

Last edited by IridiumFX on 27-Aug-2017 at 02:00 PM.

bison 
Posted on 19-Sep-2017 2:56:05
#30 ]
Elite Member

@Beans

Speaking of...

The state of open source accelerated graphics on ARM devices

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 19-Sep-2017 20:58:39
#31 ]

AEROS for indieGO is even better : D
"Odroid XU4"
Next version will arrive overnext weekend. The underlaying stuff had to be patched again because the last changes resulted in a bug causing a ugly boarder.
Next year there will be again more activity on AROS related stuff. Its too much overload in the moment.. insomnia

IridiumFX 
Posted on 19-Sep-2017 21:19:01
#32 ]

@phoenixkonsole

Wasn't IndieGo a Raspberry 2 based platform?

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 20-Sep-2017 17:00:55
#33 ]

@IridiumFX
It was planned to be Pi2 but there were 2 options:
Pi2 and Odroid XU4
During the campaign the Pi3 arrived so the pi2 was upgraded to Pi3
Meanwhile the Pi3 have been replaced with XU4
The reason is that only 4 hands full were ordered with a Pi3 and it makes no sense to have two different versions which would cause even more work than I have already

IridiumFX 
Posted on 20-Sep-2017 21:41:34
#34 ]

@phoenixkonsole

I remember reading the benchmarks on phoronix. cute little beastie the XU4. but suffers from both of the problems from above: 32 bit ony and closed source. in any case, I guess if someone is in search for a mini amiga packed with massive power, you have a solid response to it

Signal 
Posted on 21-Sep-2017 14:14:24
#35 ]
Cult Member

@
It was raining yesterday and put a stop to my Irma repairs. While digging around in my junk box I came across a Vantec IDE/SATA to USB adapter and a spare 500GB WD SATA drive.

I had been wondering about using a HD on the Pi3 but did not want to set the One-Time-Programmable (OTP) bit on the Pi to boot from a USB stick or USB HD. I just wanted to use the HD for the root filesystem and leave the SDcard for booting the hardware.

Success! I now have a 465GB root partition and the pi still initializes off the SDcard. Also, if something goes haywire a backup SDcard can be inserted and all is back to original.

It does slow the booting process but not enough to be a bother. It's probably due to the system scanning the large partition before reading it.

bison 
Posted on 25-Sep-2017 14:14:07
#36 ]
Elite Member

@Signman

More on that:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=asus-tinker-board

AdvancedFollower 
Posted on 18-Oct-2017 10:42:01
#37 ]

I did some performance testing on my Pi3 but it seems UAE4ARM is not in a state where it's really polished and usable enough yet. It also seems Chips has abandoned development.

While UAE4ARM 0.4 performs good, it's a very old version. RTG RAM is limited to 4 MB, which is not enough for e.g. 1920x1080x32bpp. Also there's no aspect ratio correction so everything looks stretched on a widescreen monitor.

I then tried 0.5, and it's much better in this regard. However, AGA/chipset emulation performance has taken a big hit, and game compatibility too it seems. For example, I tried Alien Breed 3D on both 0.4 and 0.5. On 0.4, it was indistinguishable from WinUAE on a high performance PC, but with 0.5, it was about the same as a vanilla A1200, flip-book frame rates.

So I'll go back to just running WinUAE on my PC. It's nice to have a dedicated little box you can just turn on and boot straight into AmigaOS, but it's not worth the sacrifices in performance and compatibility compared to more actively developed UAE versions.

pseudaxos 
Posted on 18-Oct-2017 19:31:46
#38 ]

I have a Pi3, an A600 with Vampire 2 core 2.5 and a sam460 with AOS4.1FE

The pi3 is fast, that's true, but my A600 is much more responsive than the pi3.
The A600 is a true Amiga, the Rap pi3 is great for emulation and compatibility for whdload games. The advantage of the rap pi3 is that you can boot directly on an Amigaos3.X.

Both are great but I prefer my A600 !

If we talk about the fastest machine, the Sam460Ex can run Aos4.1 Fe smoothly and that's a pleasure. Unfortunately, emulation on Sam460Ex is not enought optimized and lots of whdload games have a stuuttering sound, so I bought a pi3 and a vampire for my A600. All my machines are running in the same room ===> happiness

g01df1sh 
Posted on 18-Oct-2017 20:21:06
#39 ]

I have just been playing around with fs-uae using Ubuntu mate it works great and I have configured it to boot to Amiga os3.9. performance is good as the pc is only dual core CPU with 4gb of ram and low cost nvidia card.

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

onkelarie 
Posted on 18-Nov-2017 6:23:34
#40 ]

@clusteruk

I agree on the Pi3 amibian setup. I'm running a Pi3 A4000 emulation for a month now,
and it's plain fun using it.

I do have some trouble setting up Picasso96 correctly, because it messes up the hz which
influences the AHI speed. This results in AmigaAMP streaming somewhat slower, lowering
the pitch of the sound. AmigaAMP runs fine on default PAL 640x256 screenmode btw.

But overall the Pi3 is doing a great job. Reading mail, browsing, IRC, BBS telnetting, it's
bringing me back to that good ol' time with having just a little box sitting on the desk:)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle