Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
23 crawler(s) on-line.
 118 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Troels

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Troels:  1 min ago
 Gunnar:  16 mins ago
 Rob:  21 mins ago
 zipper:  45 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 Comi:  2 hrs 32 mins ago
 vox:  3 hrs 18 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  first experiment of x5000 on qemu
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
tlosm 
Re: first experiment of x5000 on qemu
Posted on 11-Sep-2017 23:53:27
#41 ]
Elite Member

@Spectre660

hear this and good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrgpZ0fUixs

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

Profile     Report this post  
Spectre660 
Posted on 12-Sep-2017 0:10:28
#42 ]
Elite Member

@tlosm

On 20-Aug-17 6:49 PM, Julian Margetson wrote:
> Hi Luigi ,
>
> Sorry .
> I am not able to do this .
>
> Regards
> Julian
>
>
> On 20-Aug-17 12:26 PM, luigi burdo wrote:
>>
>> Hi Julian,
>>
>> a qemu developer is porting sam inside qemu. he need some one with real hardware for do some test .
>>
>> Can i suggest you and gave to him your contact (email?)
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Luigi
>
>

tlosm 
Posted on 12-Sep-2017 0:19:43
#43 ]
Elite Member

@Spectre660

and? i asked you if you can help Balaton Zoltan to his project qemu sam 460.
because i know you have a san460 and a serial cable.
what you want to demostrate sharing private email that i selected the right song on youtube?

thread

Last edited by tlosm on 12-Sep-2017 at 12:29 AM.
Last edited by tlosm on 12-Sep-2017 at 12:28 AM.
Last edited by tlosm on 12-Sep-2017 at 12:20 AM.

#nomorea-eoninmyhome

Beans 
Posted on 12-Sep-2017 0:29:22
#44 ]

@Spectre660

Ah, Christ...this is off the rails.

So, overheating P50XX cpus I can verify, as I bought a third party cooler for a MorphOS developer using an X5000/20 (and the X5000/40 is only likely to generate more heat).
The thing I don't understand about that is...this isn't a particularly high draw cpu...so wtf, why wasn't a better cooler sourced?

And the memory bandwidth benches, are they really as bad as reported, or is this a issue with the benches?
Because lower bandwidth figures than the X1000 (let alone the G5) don't make sense.

Other issues...the CMI8738 failures, cooling fan issues, slow firmware updates (and a few others I haven't mentioned).

You've managed to turn the biggest fanboi here against you, and I'm still willing to give A-eon/Varisys the benefit of the doubt.

So Spectre, you're our Linux guru...what IS up with these issues?

Spectre660 
Posted on 12-Sep-2017 0:39:36
#45 ]
Elite Member

@Beans

Ask a neutral party what problems , if any, they have encountered.
I mean the MorphOS team.
I would expect them to be real hardware experts.
You have a good enough relationship with them to get a straight story.

Columbus is pissed because no one bothers with his suggestions and alleged discoveries.
He seems to me to want to scorch the whole earth. Even Acube if it can put the squeeze on A-Eon

Last edited by Spectre660 on 12-Sep-2017 at 12:49 AM.
Last edited by Spectre660 on 12-Sep-2017 at 12:49 AM.

tlosm 
Posted on 12-Sep-2017 1:14:31
#46 ]
Elite Member

@Beans

and on linux are the same ... is not os4 issue the guy of hyperion do the best
i know there is a guy who have x5000/20 with mos ask him to test the ram speed.
and compare with my words 1 GB/s to 2GB/s max on 5020

#nomorea-eoninmyhome

tlosm 
Posted on 12-Sep-2017 1:29:12
#47 ]
Elite Member

@Beans

just because dont wanna too much spoil the thread

check here

phoronix test

#nomorea-eoninmyhome

kas1e 
Posted on 12-Sep-2017 8:35:10
#48 ]
Elite Member

Its like watching the same old movie called "The VOXing", or " The DAXXing" or how much of those storyes was.. "The AARONSing" fits too probably. Movie always about the same: somebody praise a lot at begining, and then disappointed at end. The more praise at begining, the more disappointment at end.

Another example its when one person put on another person something person didt have, live together for years and then disappointed when person didnt fits in.

Only critical way of thinking can help to avoid such life's mind traps. At least most of time :)

wawa 
Posted on 12-Sep-2017 8:56:53
#49 ]
Elite Member

@kas1e

Quote:
Only critical way of thinking can help to avoid such life's mind traps. At least most of time :)

almost impossible if you ask me;)

Quote:
"The VOXing",

the thing is that his (and his likes) complaints souded actually rewarded, contrary to the speculative "success propaganda" written in advance, mostly without any actual experience, just based on hopes and wishes. it was mostly the form of a rage quit that was annoying.

Last edited by wawa on 12-Sep-2017 at 09:06 AM.

wawa 
Posted on 12-Sep-2017 9:00:40
#50 ]
Elite Member

@tlosm

Quote:
i know there is a guy who have x5000/20 with mos ask him to test the ram speed.

the only morphos person with x5k i heard of, was a tester in poland who attempted to sell it again some time ago. im not sure if he succeeded, but he hasnt made much appearance on forums since then, if any. probably real life interferred with interests.

maybe beans/iggy/jim can reveal who on morphos team is/was doing x5k port, because my impression is, that its on hold currently.

Last edited by wawa on 12-Sep-2017 at 09:01 AM.

tlosm 
Posted on 12-Sep-2017 10:03:12
#51 ]
Elite Member

@kas1e

i dont like to write about peoples that cant reply here or dont want.
My story is not like the Vox story is little bit different.

i dont know if wox was able to find some hardware issue or can report hardware issue or know how to read kernel logs or syslogs abke to build kernels, able to build sys libs and replace it, made distro working, gave tips how to fix some issue or better improvements.

What made me become really nervous was:
1)the bad menage of mantainers and testers in a-eon crew.
2)was from the 2016 that i ask to align the uboot to the newer version with the hope that some issue was fixed wit it... nothing change.
3)really sporadic reply to many hardware issue and bootle neck found during last two years without evident fixing if we dont count couple of patches that yes fix the issue but at same time made the system become less performing.
4)the great prize policy that make me and couple of other "stupid" like me pay much more than the beta tester one machine that in 29/09/2016 was not running nothing just a bad revision of uboot and i made it running Linux on it, for show that something can work on this hardware and for gave me the opportunity to made right the job of pre-beta testing (free job ... or better pay by me job).
5) what make me really sad, nervous, disappointed was the trevor, more than other ... because in the last period when i discovered the extra bucks they took from me, him try to joke me like i was the last of the stupid on the planet (because im a sir i dont want write more about or the amigans will understand the true face of the happy crew ... if the amigans dont have already understand with AOL story).
6)if now amigaos on 5040 have a good computing speed is because a my suggestion going to a core dev of amigaos . #timebase

.... at the last if someone dont know of the make a job is better dont do it if this job break dreams and spoil the money of peoples ... not all are rich or milioner . i wake up every day at 6:30 am for go to work for gave to my family the breed.

to @spectre who is the first one who share the 5020 kernel .config? who is the first one who gave the first xorg.conf for make the xorg on the ubuntu from 16.x to up work on x5000/20?

PS: i say before i have Confidential email that can prove that all what i write is true bechmark too

Last edited by tlosm on 12-Sep-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Last edited by tlosm on 12-Sep-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Last edited by tlosm on 12-Sep-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Last edited by tlosm on 12-Sep-2017 at 10:04 AM.

#nomorea-eoninmyhome

TrevorDick 
Posted on 12-Sep-2017 11:05:44
#52 ]
Elite Member

@tlosm

Quote:
what make me really sad, nervous, disappointed was the trevor, more than other ... because in the last period when i discovered the extra bucks they took from me, him try to joke me like i was the last of the stupid on the planet (because im a sir i dont want write more about or the amigans will understand the true face of the happy crew.

I was not going to comment Gigi, but I have to take issue with your comment. You must have misunderstood my English because at no time did I make a fun of you in any of my emails. I've just checked backed through all our communications to make sure.

TrevorD

tlosm 
Posted on 12-Sep-2017 11:37:28
#53 ]
Elite Member

@TrevorDick

i gave you a change, "i misunderstood" because my bad eng you dont write that i will be refound from the extra buck that i had pay only if i will sign the nda?

i reply again my extra payed money a-eon can geve to unicef because i dont need.

but what make me made really really sad is how all was managed:
the hardware issue reports and the no support.
no research of improvements or the opportunity to improve because there was already something available (see new versions of uboot).
The totally no presence of milestone of the project .
the absolute dont hear me when i found something not good like i was "the good know mad stalker" ... and made and acclaim me the best amigan when i was make something working and pretty performing for the public.

And at the last the shameful behavior of some since I decided to go right out of the a-eon mailing list because I was tired of the silence of the progression and obvious mafia code of silence began to see me and treat me like the devil on earth.

this make me sad only this.... lesson for the future ... dont spoil dreams of people , first made a good hardware testing and change the policy because it right now is making people quit more than before.

Last edited by tlosm on 12-Sep-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Last edited by tlosm on 12-Sep-2017 at 11:44 AM.

#nomorea-eoninmyhome

TrevorDick 
Posted on 12-Sep-2017 11:47:51
#54 ]
Elite Member

@tlosm

Quote:
i gave you a change, "i misunderstood" because my bad eng you dont write that i will be refound from the extra buck that i had pay only if i will sign the nda?

Not sure what that is supposed to mean?

I suggest we take this off line and try to resolve the issue, as I have tried to do since you first contacted me about it.

TrevorD

tlosm 
Posted on 12-Sep-2017 12:17:38
#55 ]
Elite Member

@TrevorDick

trevor, for me now is more important you have well understand all the remaining parts of the message. i know my english is bed but im try to made my best.

about

Quote:
I suggest we take this off line and try to resolve the issue, as I have tried to do since you first contacted me about it.

Contacted you? for me was normal contact who i was think was the boss of a-eon and a friendly and reasonable person.
some time i going confused, i think that the amigans are friends, but this experience mede me learn that this is not true all is only money and business.

And yes the email about refund made implicit understand it will come only if i sign the nda for 5040, sign that make me not sell the complete machine when and to the person that i like more.

PS: no one had sey to me and the others than when we buy the 5040 board we will pay more then other beta tester ... board than for 8 months will be pratically not usable if not my commitment and tenacity.

Last edited by tlosm on 12-Sep-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Last edited by tlosm on 12-Sep-2017 at 12:18 PM.

#nomorea-eoninmyhome

Beans 
Posted on 12-Sep-2017 13:04:23
#56 ]

@Spectre660

So far, the only complaint I've heard from a MorphOS team member relates to the inadequacy of the cpu cooling fan.
But that is a quick fix with a third party cooler, and Aaron at AOTL split the cost of that with me to provide one to Mark "Bigfoot" Olsen.

No word yet on how they are doing with the CMI8738 based audio cards, but that is a target for MorphOS audio drivers.

And the memory bandwidth benches, while disappointing, are not so bad that I'd panic about that.
The comparison has been made to Pentium4 DDR memory benches, and while that's not as good as the X1000 (or the G5) its still more than adequate.

Further, complaints have been lodged about the PCI-E X16 video card slot only using four PCI-E lanes, but if I'm not mistaken these are Gen2 PCI-E lanes which should give comparable bandwidth to an eight lane Gen1 connection (which is still vastly superior to AGP)., AND it should be faster than the X4 connection the SAM460 uses (which appears adequate).

Integer performance looks good, floating point, even without AltiVec isn't bad....

So unless there are some inherent issues with the design I'm not getting corroboration on....I'm still on-board for an X5000/40.

And I HAVE an Quad 2.5 GHz G5.
BTW - That is a good machine, but the cooling system is a PITA and relying on it is rather scary, plus it drawsa heck of a lot of power.
Further, its TWELVE years old!
And that makes it the most recent G5 available.
Then there the fact that it may not boot without an open firmware video card installed (no corroboration on that, but one friend I know has had this issue using a Radeon HD 5450), so in order to use later video cards, you may need to have two cards installed.

So, teething issues aside, I'm not sure that its time to dismiss the X5000 platform.

Additionally, how bad can it be if you want to emulate it under QEMU?

Last edited by Beans on 12-Sep-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Last edited by Beans on 12-Sep-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Last edited by Beans on 12-Sep-2017 at 01:05 PM.

Spectre660 
Posted on 12-Sep-2017 13:19:11
#57 ]
Elite Member

@Beans

I have a production board (paid full price too) and live in the Caribbean.
No issues with cooling thus far .

tlosm 
Posted on 12-Sep-2017 13:23:34
#58 ]
Elite Member

@Beans

Quote:
So unless there are some inherent issues with the design I'm not getting corroboration on....I'm still on-board for an X5000/40.

i will repeat this machine 5020 and 5040 are really good for the light os like are amigaos and morphos too. the not powerful performances will be evident on Linux because it need more resources and speed. and you will see the difference from x5000 and quad only when (and i hope soon) mos team will release the Mos for the quad. i sow this difference ... and i say like drive an slk (g5) and after switch to a ford ka (x5000)

About Qemu. now i cant say how will be because i dont have amigaos running. on my old macbook pro (2012) i have 4 thread that have right now with all the machine emulated (no virtIO or passthru) the performance for every thread near a sam 440ep. immagine a sam 440 ep minitx 8 cores. performances will become better when virtIO will be used and passthru too and for sure will be much better to a new pc.

On Powerac with kvm you will have the performance of g5 quad. but it will available only for sam460 ... on g5 e5500 kvm freeze the qemu for now.

Last edited by tlosm on 12-Sep-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Last edited by tlosm on 12-Sep-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Last edited by tlosm on 12-Sep-2017 at 01:23 PM.

#nomorea-eoninmyhome

tlosm 
Posted on 12-Sep-2017 13:24:48
#59 ]
Elite Member

@Spectre660

cooling issue are present only on 5040 ... 5020 is ok with cooling only beta boards had different fan little more noisy.
and coling issue come only on linux if use the 4 cores for heavy use like is build with -j4

Last edited by tlosm on 12-Sep-2017 at 01:25 PM.

#nomorea-eoninmyhome

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 12-Sep-2017 14:24:33
#60 ]
Elite Member

@tlosm

I have a little sam440ep, gigi. When i bought this little machine, nor the OS or the driver where optimized for the machine. I remember frequent crashs of the system.

I can remember, btw, the continue Acube and Hyperion support for the machine which has improved more and more over time.

I am sure that the same support will be given to the platform both from a-eon and hyperion.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle