Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 136 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  9 mins ago
 kolla:  17 mins ago
 amigakit:  26 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  29 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 Frank:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 MickJT:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 A1200:  2 hrs 16 mins ago
 outlawal2:  2 hrs 51 mins ago
 AndreasM:  2 hrs 53 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  Indivision Mk I not producing any output
Register To Post

PosterThread
Hypex 
Indivision Mk I not producing any output
Posted on 6-Oct-2017 14:19:08
#1 ]
Elite Member

I had a PicassoIV in my A4000D when suddenly something went wrong and the VGA out stopped working. All the screen modes also went missing. Despite the card showing up in the hardware list.

So I replaced it with a CyberVision 64 I had as a spare. Took me ages to get it working without screen modes dissappearing. Stable now but need to find an easy monitor setup program. Do these exist on the Amiga? I've never seen one!

Anyway what I'm getting at is that with the Picasso gone I had lost my scan doubler. A friend had an Indivision Mk I laying around and we struck up a deal. Some cash and pizza. Looked good to me.

I installed it after reading docs about it. I fire it up and I get no VGA output. I read more docs and they say it should work without setup.

Last night I downloaded the flash drivers. I ran the config tool to check and it just stalled it. I ran the flash tool and it did the same. Stealing my CPU time on both counts. The system became very slow.

I did a SnoopDOS check. The software appears to be written last century for a KS1.3 A500. Opening version 0 of libraries and looking for topaz 8. Both tools open resources fine and then stop. They then can't be quit and just chew on the CPU.

So I'm going to check the connection again. But I had no trouble it seemed installing it. RGB output works fine. Is this a common issue? Press in again and run the tools again? Run tools from bare boot shell?

After loosing my auto scan doubler I was excited I would have one again and could continue my Amiga games. But I still have lost my AGA output into VGA. For now it will be RTG only.

Last edited by Hypex on 06-Oct-2017 at 02:21 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
g01df1sh 
Re: Indivision Mk I not producing any output
Posted on 6-Oct-2017 14:23:51
#2 ]

@Hypex

Hi

Is it firmly seated I have read the old ones did not have very good sockets. This has been improved with the latest model.

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

BigD 
Posted on 6-Oct-2017 14:26:49
#3 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
I had a PicassoIV in my A4000D when suddenly something went wrong and the VGA out stopped working. All the screen modes also went missing. Despite the card showing up in the hardware list.

Sad indeed They are great cards and we will not see their like again. AGA scan doubled and RTG on the same VGA monitor = unheard of other than the Picasso IV.

g01df1sh 
Posted on 6-Oct-2017 14:43:35
#4 ]

@BigD

That they are loved mine in my A1200 tower why the F did I sell it. Brain fart moment....

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

Hypex 
Posted on 7-Oct-2017 14:54:26
#5 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh

I pressed it in and it seemed to go in. I didn't push it too hard. But it felt solid to me. It would have helped if it was designed to be screwed in place at some anchor points. Since mounting over the top of another chip like it does it is little more than a professional hack. Someone also mentioned having a light on board would have helped. As it stands I am a bit blindsighted trying to figure out what is going on with the Indivision.

I thought maybe the VGA out cable and plug has an issue. But the software locking up should still function otherwise. I might pull the cable and see if it finds it in case that has an issue. Unless it needs to be plugged into a monitor to work. Which is hard as the monitor keeps going off without a signal.

g01df1sh 
Posted on 7-Oct-2017 14:57:55
#6 ]

@Hypex

Have you tried it with a fresh install of os3.9 maybe it's picking up old screen modes that it can't cope with.

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

Hypex 
Posted on 7-Oct-2017 15:02:24
#7 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Being restricted to RTG only is also annoying. I can't see the early startup. On my A1200, when I got a VGA only monitor, I put in all these VGA hacks. Was fine for early startup and system friendly games but not much for else. But once you go RTG you don't want to go back.

I could run a passthrough from RGB to VGA in but don't know if OS3.9 can output a VGA screen mode for the monitor. I tested some monitors and they didn't like it.

So yes it is sad indeed. I should get it checked out. I don't know if something is gone on the card or my video slot has fried.

Hypex 
Posted on 10-Nov-2017 15:35:27
#8 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh

I haven't actually. Though I didn't think this would interfere. I might also try a clean boot shell in the meantime. Could be a software conflict. But I expected software would less of a problem as the board is supposed to be plug and play and immediately usable.

Aside from that I'm thinking of just removing the VGA cable. Could be a problem with it. So will pull the plug and retest also.

Hypex 
Posted on 13-Jan-2018 16:00:50
#9 ]
Elite Member

So the last few days I've been testing this again.

I pulled the VGA cable out. It made no difference.

I noticed the earth lead was a bit close to a jumper. So moved it away. No difference.

Tried from a boot shell. Again no difference.

I then cloned the Install3.1 disk. Booted it to a fresh Workbench and tried again. Again no difference whatsoever.

I just can't avoid coming to the conclusion that it must be a dud. The hardware is too tight and as nice as the printed PCB looks it is still a hack. Given the A4000 has a video slot there is no need for such as hack. Not in an A4000 anyway.

The software isn't much better. It's slightly messy and obviously wasn't tested on a basic 3.1 setup nor 3.9 for that matter as the read me file won't load up. What else does the software expect to find but doesn't? But most of all it just locks up.

I even pulled the card and tested the software. Same deal. Just locks itself up. Doesn't even report any output to CLI. So obviously it is badly written if it locks up when the hardware isn't present.

So it's a nice idea. But a bit useless when the idea is broken. Think I will give it back to my friend who will get more use out of it as a collection piece on his shelf!

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle