Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 98 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  2 mins ago
 kolla:  18 mins ago
 Hypex:  19 mins ago
 outlawal2:  28 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  50 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 AmigaPapst:  2 hrs 17 mins ago
 Lazi:  2 hrs 29 mins ago
 billt:  3 hrs 46 mins ago
 QBit:  3 hrs 58 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  It's time to join the forces - Part IV
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 )
PosterThread
bison 
Re: It's time to join the forces - Part IV
Posted on 6-Mar-2018 4:52:45
#261 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

Quote:
Granted, this an entirely reasonable idea, so it probably has no place here 

Well, you probably know this quote attributed to George Bernard Shaw:

Quote:
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Everything's impossible until it's not.

Profile     Report this post  
fishy_fis 
Posted on 6-Mar-2018 8:05:58
#262 ]
Elite Member

@Signal

Not sure if that was meant to be a "clever" way of turning wawa's words around on him, but if that was the case I suggest do some research

Wawa, does infact put effort in. More than most. He has simultaneously been learning and putting what he learns to use, and has been doing so for quite a while.
He may not have done a lot of the sort of stuff people notice (ergo give praise to), but he is involved in the nitty, gritty, unglamorous stuff that needs doing, and to be honest the community could use a few more people like that.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't intended as any sort of "hey, dont pick on my friend" post. I don't agree %100 on everything he does or says and Im sure the reverse is true.
Im just a fan of credit being given where it's due.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 6-Mar-2018 8:14:18
#263 ]
Elite Member

@bison

George Bernard Shaw wasn't aware of the Amiga scene though
That quote doesn't really account for the realm of unreasonabe reaching lunacy.
The type of unreasonable on display here can't equate to progress. It's nothing more than procrastination laced with fantasy.

A simple question to the users of Amiga-noid systems will demonstrate that.

What should we use as the base for this "merger"? (or whatever)

Now watch as everyone disagrees and gets aggressive towards each other
And that's just the users.

OlafS25 
Posted on 6-Mar-2018 9:13:09
#264 ]
Elite Member

@Signal

as fishy mentioned Wawa indeed contributes

What are your exact conctributions? Anything?

wawa 
Posted on 6-Mar-2018 13:13:51
#265 ]
Elite Member

speaking of which i have odyssey compiling within aros source tree/build system. currently for aros abiv1 x86. my plan, perhaps utopic, is to get it 64 bit and big endian safe and compilable for as much targets aros has. ive sent inquiry to deadwood if he wants to keep potential development in his git repository, but if he doesnt i need to find another opportunity or setup a repo myself. i would then reach out to kas1e and other interested to coordinate the effort for as much amiga-like platforms as possible including genuine amiga, even if restricted to just uae or vampire setups.

note, that working on odyssey is a heavily time consuming task due to size of the project and cmake. at least for a noob like me. it takes hours to compile the whole application on an i5 or i7 systems.

Last edited by wawa on 06-Mar-2018 at 01:16 PM.

Signal 
Posted on 7-Mar-2018 14:29:23
#266 ]
Cult Member

@OlafS25

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@Signal

as fishy mentioned Wawa indeed contributes

What are your exact conctributions? Anything?

Absolutely nothing.

I'm just one of those dumb ass consumers that used to be a customer. One of the people that has forked out earned money for nine Amiga computers over the many years. Purchased well over two thousand dollars of software and at least double that in add-in equipment.

One of those people whose opinions are treated with total disrespect because of not being one of the elite, or having signed a NDA, or donated money to projects I do not believe in or have no use for.

Yes, one of those people whose requests for information gets ignored. Whose ideas are treated as garbage because I don't belong to The Club. You know which Club, the mutual admiration society that tells the world how great they are and points fingers at others and calls them names, spews out vile lies and half truths in order to bolster their own importance and see themselves as legends, at least in their own minds.

So you can all bow down to the one that has turned a hobby into a religious crusade that invades every thread with the goal of destroying all but that which he sees as fit to survive, and while you're down there just turn your head a little and K-M-A.

wawa 
Posted on 7-Mar-2018 15:06:54
#267 ]
Elite Member

@Signal

i can understand your frustration but you probably should seek relief elsewhere rather than fantasizing on forums dedicated to a subject that do not satisfy your expectations while you can not do anything about it.

in particular this very topic wont gain much from "dumb ass consumer" comments by someone who do not intend to contribute other than making demands.

remotenemesis 
Posted on 7-Mar-2018 16:11:10
#268 ]

Unless all of the commercial efforts fold (which I truly don't want to see), having everything unified across closed and open-source models is unrealistic. Is it perfect? No.

Between the Apollo folks and A-Eon/Hyperion I think we're lucky to have new products at all. I thought this space was totally dead until a few months ago.

In my dreams, I'd love to see Hyperion, A-Eon and Cloanto's Amiga Forever products merge under a single Amiga name with David Pleasance involved in some way. Just having A-Eon and Hyperion in one organization would be a huge improvement. Let Cloanto have the name and build some new identity around AmigaOS and AmigaOne.

The best we could hope for is some API and file-system compatibility between all the flavors (AmigaOS, AROS, MorphOS). Do we need an NG common file system like the Linux Standard Base?

Having an open source Amiga-like OS on x86 is critical safety-net against commercial NG failure IMO and I'd love to see AROS get more attention.

I'm currently brushing up on my C skills and working on a Mastodon social network client as one less dependency on the browser for me personally. I'm scratching my own itch and maybe it will lead to also setting up an Amiga focused Mastodon instance (sort of a cross between Twitter and a chat-room).

@wawa thanks for the work on Odyssey: forking Deadwood's code base to a new gitbub repo will be easy. Humbly I suggest we need to build a team around this project. Its too important to be one person's baby/problem. I urge you to get the code into a public place now it's compiling and running and start trying to build a community around it. I'd like to help on the development side when I feel I can be useful: the first step on that road is compiling what you have.

wawa 
Posted on 7-Mar-2018 16:34:17
#269 ]
Elite Member

@remotenemesis

Quote:
I urge you to get the code into a public place now it's compiling and running and start trying to build a community around it.

its been compiling and running for the involved anyway, i guess. my contribution is that it compiles within ready to use tool chain, namely aros. the question is what that means" public"? it has got a repository. probably even more than one and several branches. if we continue like that we will end up with non maintainable mess that will fragment the developer base even more.

therefore i seriously hesitate to set up just another repo dedicated to just an unique platform.

Last edited by wawa on 07-Mar-2018 at 04:35 PM.

bison 
Posted on 8-Mar-2018 19:47:56
#270 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

All that rain, and no parade.

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 16-Mar-2018 12:51:37
#271 ]
Elite Member

@thread

people have a beautiful memory of Amiga. If only...

paolone 
Posted on 17-Mar-2018 10:57:02
#272 ]

@Signal

Quote:

I'm just one of those dumb ass consumers that used to be a customer. One of the people that has forked out earned money for nine Amiga computers over the many years. Purchased well over two thousand dollars of software and at least double that in add-in equipment.

Which, indeed makes you a 'fanatic' rather than a 'customer'. But that's absolutely IMHO.

Quote:

One of those people whose opinions are treated with total disrespect because of not being one of the elite, or having signed a NDA, or donated money to projects I do not believe in or have no use for.

Yes, one of those people whose requests for information gets ignored. Whose ideas are treated as garbage because I don't belong to The Club. You know which Club, the mutual admiration society that tells the world how great they are and points fingers at others and calls them names, spews out vile lies and half truths in order to bolster their own importance and see themselves as legends, at least in their own minds.

And this seems to be a persecution complex.

Quote:
So you can all bow down to the one that has turned a hobby into a religious crusade that invades every thread with the goal of destroying all but that which he sees as fit to survive, and while you're down there just turn your head a little and K-M-A.

Frankly speaking, you'r getting a little too much sensitive about this. Once you were a customer like (or maybe a little more than) we were too, but this happened a very long ago. If you decided to still spend money on questionable 'NG' equipments and this whole 'market' has - predictably - folded to a mess, this is NOT *OUR* fault. We as a community share your delusion, your hopes, your hobby. But in the situation we are, there's very little we can actually do. Everyone of us is spending their spare time trying to do something useful, their own way. Please relax.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle